CSI IV (11/21/09) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
kamikaze
Rikku

CSI IV (11/21/09) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Post by kamikaze »

I am happy to announce our 4th annual Cave Spring Invitational (CSI) will take place at Cave Spring High School in scenic southwest Virginia. Roanoke, to be exact. We've scheduled our tournament for November 21, 2009. We moved it up a little from last years date so not to conflict with other tournaments happening in December.

The format of the untimed matches will be in three rounds:
Round 1: Lightning Round - short questions, usually one or two sentence clues
Round 2: Category Round - a directed round with bouncebacks
Round 3: Pyramid Round - tossups with non-related bonuses (similar to NAQT style but no powers)

* They are in-house questions and usually edited by the illustrious Shawn Pickrell. However, after he stepped down this past year, he will no longer be our chief editor. Instead, we'll be doing our own editing but much of the major editing will be done by our former talented members, Emma Berry and Kathryn Lawryszek.
* NEW THIS YEAR: Taking in people's advice from last year's tournament, we're shooting for 10 rounds rather than our usual 8. Due to the increased number of rounds, we'll probably be changing the playoffs from the "double-elimination" format to something more rewarding, such as a round-robin. The prelims will still be round-robin.
* We're giving out hardware for the top three teams, as well as individual awards. Usually the top four individuals receive trophies and five through ten receive medals. All individuals will receive additional goodies. A special award goes to the individual with the most negs.
* NEW THIS YEAR: Our early morning Guitar Hero tournament is coming back. Last year, to encourage teams showing up early, we had Guitar Hero setup with some kicking speakers and projected on a huge screen. It seemed to go over pretty well and everyone showed up exactly on time. Not to mention, it made the finals during lunch an interesting event. Anyway, what's new about it this year is we'll have a prize for the winner of that mini-tournament.
* The Coaches Challenge is also back! Any coach/chaperone/reader not affiliated with Cave Spring HS is eligible to play. Top winners will receive trophies AND gift certificates to some wonderful national chain store. The format will be similar to last year, where all contestants do a 20-25 question worksheet at the time of registration. The highest qualifying scores will compete ina short buzzer match after lunch and before playoff announcements.
* For those of you who may be traveling quite the distance and require overnight accommodations, we will try to arrange some sort of discount with a local hotel. More information on that when we talk to their representatives.

Costs: $60 for the first team from each school
$40 for each subsequent team (no limit)
$15 for a hard copy, $10 for an electronic copy (regardless of which copy, you will receive a CD with the music used at the tourney)
-$10 for each working buzzer system
-$5 for early registration (please send in registration by October 21)

Bassett (1)
Blacksburg (2)
Christiansburg (1)
Collegiate (1)
Eastern Montgomery (1)
Glenvar (1)
Honaker (1)
Raleigh Charter (3)
Rappahannock County (2)
Robinson (NC) (1)
Salem (2)

Expressed Interest:
North Cross
Patrick Henry (Roanoke)

We will be taking registrations up until November 18th, at which time we'll officially close the field. If you have any questions about the tournament, hotel, travel or anything else related to the CSI, please feel free to contact me at csquizbowl <at> yahoo <dot> com. This is a great tournament and well worth your time. A lot of the teams always remark about how much fun they have at this event and every year, we try to outdo the previous year. Our team and I look forward to seeing you. Thanks!

Edit #1-19: Updated field
Last edited by kamikaze on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
Madoc
Lulu

Re: CSI IV (11/21/09) @ Cave Spring HS (Roanoke, VA)

Post by Madoc »

Honaker would like to express extreme interest. We're just getting things started this year, so a confirmation will probably be pending for a month or so.
Charlie Perkins
Coach - Honaker High School 2015-2021
W&M 2014
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

I'm bumping up the thread to tell you a couple of things. First, the field has been updated and registrations are starting to roll in. If you want to get your foot in the door, please send me an e-mail. Also, there's less than a week left until the early registration deadline expires!
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

We mailed out the registration a few days ago. You should be receiving it any time now. :grin:
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

HHS_Charlie wrote:We mailed out the registration a few days ago. You should be receiving it any time now. :grin:
Got it just this morning. Went and updated the field again. Glad to see you guys are coming back!
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

It's always a pleasure to attend, Mr. Powers. You and your team always run an excellent tournament.
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Today is the last day to claim the early registration discount. Let me know if you're interested in participating.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

kamikaze wrote: Glenvar (2)
:shock:

So was it a new principal or did RCS shame these guys into forming a team?
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

STPickrell wrote: So was it a new principal or did RCS shame these guys into forming a team?
Not sure... their new coach called me up one day and told me that this was their first year. All I know is that their kids are very excited about scholastic bowl and are eager to compete. I don't think it was a new principal though...
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Now that I know there is a second side to the coaches' quiz paper, I should do better. I am excited.

Eric
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

With a week left before registration closes, we have plenty of room to accomodate more teams. Right now, we're at 17~19 teams, depending on Rapp and Glenvar. Raleigh Charter also said they were bringing up to four teams but that was a while back. They'll give me more solid numbers as we get closer to the tournament date.
rchschem wrote:Now that I know there is a second side to the coaches' quiz paper, I should do better. I am excited.
I'll just let everyone know that there'll be 24 questions on the worksheet, 3 minutes to do them all, for those planning to compete in the Coaches Challenge. We've got some gift cards and prizes for the coaches that perform well this year and I'll be posting those things later next week.

For those of you who were wondering about the Guitar Hero tourney that'll take place in the morning, you need to get here early enough to get your name in the brackets. You'll play head to head against opponents. The finals will be done during or after lunch. Currently we have medals for the top 3 individuals and we're working on something else for those winners.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
sageorator
Lulu

Post by sageorator »

Apparently, we are not allowed to attend officially affiliated with the school. I'll inform you of our ever-so-clever pseudonym when we come up with it.

Edit: I believe that we've decided on simply "Blacksburg" (rather than Blacksburg HS), Blacksburg Academic Team, or something similar. Our enthusiasm for pseudonyms was short lived.
Last edited by sageorator on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Lavender-Stott
Blacksburg High School '10
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

You should sell the T-shirts. I would buy one.
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

rchschem wrote:You should sell the T-shirts. I would buy one.
What T-shirts?
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

kamikaze wrote:
What T-shirts?
The ones you gave as prizes in the coach's challenge last year. I think they were staff shirts from a previous year.
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

rchschem wrote:
kamikaze wrote:
What T-shirts?
The ones you gave as prizes in the coach's challenge last year. I think they were staff shirts from a previous year.
Oh yeah. Forgot about those. They were actually CSI (the show) shirts bought in Las Vegas. I happened to be at the MGM grand and picked up a few of the magnets and T-shirts. Unfortunately, no shirts this time... as I lost mine the last time I went. :P However, we do have something for the coaches for winning the challenge this year.

I'll also be sending out some information about the tournament via e-mail tomorrow morning and posting here as well. It looks as if we're hovering around 16 teams but I think we may have enough scabs to bring us to 18. I'm still waiting on some late comers but I should have the formal numbers tomorrow morning. It looks like, if we can do 18, three pools of six teams for prelims. Do the same for playoffs, where we take the top 2 from each and put them in the top division, the mid two from each into the mid division and so on. We ought to have more than enough packets to do so (I think we may be able to send you home with 12 packets).

We are providing lunch with entertainment - the finals of the Guitar Hero Tournament II as well as the Coaches Challenge. If coaches have kids with special dietary needs, let me know ahead of time so we can accommodate accordingly.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Congratulations to Collegiate, the winners of the 4th annual CSI. They beat Blacksburg A for the title with a close score of 175-135. Raleigh Charter A narrowly beat Christiansburg for 3rd place with a score of 140-130.

Additional kudos going to Eric Grunden from Raleigh Charter for winning the Coaches Challenge! In a very impressive display of buzzer skill and knowledge, he beat out Betsy Newmark, last year's champion. Mrs. Newmark, also from Raleigh Charter, came in 2nd, Alex Drake came in 3rd from Robinson, followed by Dave Naser from Rappahannock County.

The winner of the Guitar Hero tournament was Jerry from Salem, who beat out last year's champion, Tyler Crews from Rappahannock, in the finals, I believe.

I hope everyone enjoyed themselves and made it home safely. If you have any questions or comments about the tournament or the questions, please e-mail me at csquizbowl <at> yahoo <dot> com. We're still a young group and we have a lot to learn so we're welcome to any advice to make the experience better.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

We had a great time, even if we sort of flamed out in the playoffs. You did a great job putting on the tournament, and the questions were very, very good. I'd recommend this tournament to anyone.

I'll be studying extra hard next year in the hopes of upending the juggernaut that is Grunden/Newmark in the coaches challenge.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

kamikaze wrote:The winner of the Guitar Hero tournament was Jerry from Salem, who beat out last year's champion, Tyler Crews from Rappahannock, in the finals, I believe.
Enable round report please.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

Are stats going to be posted some time soon?
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

HHS_Charlie wrote:Are stats going to be posted some time soon?
Sorry it took so long... there was a little mix up in the stats towards the end of the tournament. For some reason, Salem B and Honaker B decided to play each other and Raleigh Charter B and Blacksburg B played each other, when it should of been Honaker B v. Raleigh B and Blacksburg B v. Salem B. Not sure why some teams went off the reservation on that last round but the buck stops here. Our moderators and scorekeepers should have caught that but unfortunately, many of them were very green. The individual stats ought to be complete... the playoff bracket is filled out (with the exception of those two matches). For those of you who were curious about those matches Salem B 60 v. Honaker B 40 and Raleigh Charter B 95 v. Blacksburg B 75.

The link to the stats is here: http://members.cox.net/~kamikaze1/2009Stats.xls

Let me know if you have any problems with it. I'll be sending this file along with the electronic packets to those who purchased them some time soon. We wanted to make some edits before we sent them out. I hope you all enjoyed yourself and again, if you have any comments about the tournament, staff or the questions, please contact me at csquizbowl <at> yahoo <dot> com.

EDIT: Sorry.. fixed URL.
Last edited by kamikaze on Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

These look like 2008 stats based on the team listed and that the link say so too.

EDIT: the real stats are there if you change the URL.

Also, please send this for the archives.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Rappahannock did pretty well at this tournament. I see that they didn't do so great in Richmond a few weeks ago. Was this a different lineup?

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, i see now...

EDIT again: Peter didn't come to this tournament for Raleigh?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote: EDIT again: Peter didn't come to this tournament for Raleigh?
Nope. We were down 2 starters.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

I am pleasantly surprised by the emergence of Christiansburg (usually they're a doormat in the district that also has Cave Spring, Salem, and Blacksburg.)
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

STPickrell wrote:I am pleasantly surprised by the emergence of Christiansburg (usually they're a doormat in the district that also has Cave Spring, Salem, and Blacksburg.)
Well, they weren't always that way. A few years ago when we first started up, they were pretty awesome. I haven't really seen them in action in district play with our team for the past two years as it always snowed on the day of our matches. Apparently they've been raising some talent over the past few years and after seeing them play Blacksburg in semis, they're going to make district play interesting.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Any chance I could get some of the sets used for this and previous incarnations for the archive?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007