Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

CULT Nationals - VCU - 6/26/10-6/27/10

Post by Mike Bentley »

CULT (Competition on Usually Likable Trash) Nationals
Saturday and Sunday, June 26-27, 2010

ANNOUNCEMENT:

I am pleased to announce the first incarnation of CULT Nationals, a new national trash (popular culture) tournament. This tournament will take place at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA on Saturday and Sunday, June 26-27, 2010.

QUESTIONS:

The questions for this event are all being written by the editing team, teams do not need to submit packets. The editing team currently consists of Mike Bentley, David Letzler, Jonathan Magin, Sid Chandrasekhar and Christopher Greenwood. We are currently targeting 20 rounds of questions, although a few of them will be reserved for tie-breakers and finals.

The questions themselves will be written to the standards of modern quizbowl. We will be working very hard to make sure that tossups have clues in the right order and reward the teams with the most knowledge of a subject. The target length for tossups in this tournament is 7 Lines in 10 Point Times New Roman font with 1 inch margins. No tossups will exceed 8 lines. We will also be working hard on bonus consistency. I am hopeful that almost all of the questions for this tournament will be complete by the end of January to allow ample time for editing and play-testing.

I would encourage people to take a look at Chris McCray (http://quizbowl.stanford.edu/archive/cmk07/index.html) for an example of what trash questions of this type will generally look like (note that the distribution and difficulty of that tournament was slightly different than this tournament).

A note about the difficulty at this tournament: I expect that this tournament will end up being easier than what one may expect for a national tournament. Tossups are still going to be clue-dense and require significant knowledge of a subject to answer in the first few clues, but by the end I expect most teams to be converting most tossups. Additionally, I expect most teams to routinely be able to convert the easy part of bonuses. My main reasons for doing this are mostly expounded in a post I made following ACF Nationals last year on the difficulty of national tournaments. My main arguments there were that by upping the difficulty of these tournaments, we’re skewing the topics asked about in a peculiar and sometimes not beneficial way for the benefit of the top teams. By keeping the difficulty down (but still providing strictly pyramidal tossups and well-defined bonuses), the tournament can test both the top teams and the bottom teams at the tournament. Furthermore, for this specific tournament, I hope that a slightly lower difficulty will attract more teams and won’t put off the top teams due to the somewhat anti-canonical nature of trash questions.

The distribution will likely look like this:
4/4 Movies
4/4 TV
4/4 Music
4/4 Sports
1/1 Videogames
3/3 Other (Comics, Internet, Trash Lit, Consumerama, Cross-Disciplinary Questions, Everything Else)

There’s a slight possibility that TV might get bumped down to 3.5/3.5 or 3/3 and Other increased a little bit.

The packets will not be themed.

SCHEDULE:

This will be a two day tournament. We plan to run somewhere around 10-12 rounds on Saturday, 6/27/10 and the remaining rounds on Sunday, 6/28/10. I expect the main event to go no later than 4 PM on Sunday.

Since this is a summer tournament attracting what will hopefully be a large field, I am open to having side events on Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday night. I will give precedence to trash events, but am willing to have academic (or hybrid) side tournaments if no one comes forward with satisfactory side events.

Details about when and where to meet on Saturday and Sunday will be forthcoming.

ELIGIBILITY:

All teams are eligible to compete in this tournament, regardless of school affiliation.

Teams do not need to qualify for this tournament.

There will be a cap of 32 teams for this tournament. Spots will be reserved on a first-come-first-serve basis. Depending on how many teams we get interested in the tournament, it’s possible that teams registering late may need to provide a down payment to guarantee their entry in the tournament. More details on this will be announced later.

PRICING:

+$160 Base Fee per Team
-$20 Discount per Team for paying before 4/15/10
-$20 Discount for a 2nd team from a school
-$40 Discount for a 3rd or more team from a school
-$10 Working Buzzer (at least 8 functional ports) Discount per School
-$40 Discount for a competent staffer who staffs both days per School
-$5 Discount per player on a team for traveling from the Pacific Time Zone (e.g. a team of 4 players from California will receive a $20 discount)
+$25 Penalty per Team per Day for arriving after the posted registration time
Minimum Fee per Team: $80

Make checks payable to “Michael Bentley”.

Teams that have not paid by registration on Saturday, June 26th (without working out a prior agreement) will not be allowed to play.

TRAVEL DETAILS:

VCU will be providing further details on the best way to get to campus, local hotel guides and some recommendations for things to do in Richmond besides playing in this tournament.

RULES:

We will use standard ACF rules at this tournament, with the following added rule: Any use of pseudonyms will result in forfeiture of all rounds where pseudonyms are used. You’re free to call your team whatever you want, but individual pseudonyms make it far more difficult to keep stats and slow down the entire tournament.

There will not be lames at this tournament.

STAFFING:

We are in great need of volunteers to staff this tournament. We would like to be able to support up to 32 teams, meaning we’ll need at least 18 staffers. Ideally, we’d like to have closer to 32 staffers to ensure that every room has a moderator and a scorekeeper.

We’ll be providing lunch to staffers on both days of the tournament, and dinner on Saturday. We can probably also arrange to pay for some or all of the travel cost for staffers arriving by car.

If you are interested in staffing, please e-mail me at [email protected].

TO REGISTER:

To officially register your team, please send me an e-mail at [email protected].

Thanks,
Mike Bentley
Chief Editor, CULT
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: CULT Nationals - VCU - 6/26/10-6/27/10

Post by Mike Bentley »

Current Field (as of 6/20):

Officially Registered Teams:
Luna Brothers et al (1)
Alexander Poon et al (1)
Delaware (2)
Eric Douglass et al (1)
NC Wesleyan (1)
Dan Goff et al (1)
Chris Ray, Jeremy Eaton, Adam Fine, Ben Frank (1)
Mike Cheyne, Rob Carson, David Seal, Michael Arnold (1)
Logan Anbinder, SteveJon Guth, Monica Remmers, Mystery Guest (1)

Probably Not Coming:
"Some Ohio State People" (1)

Free Agents:
Delano Barnes?
Greg Weinstein? (may be coming with a team)
Dave Porter
Nick Petrilli?
William Rainey?
Last edited by Mike Bentley on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:00 am, edited 13 times in total.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

This post is reserved for VCU's Richmond travel guide.
Mike Bentley
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I don't want to speak for Fred, but perhaps the Movie tournament if completed by then could get hitched to this.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Cheynem wrote:I don't want to speak for Fred, but perhaps the Movie tournament if completed by then could get hitched to this.
This would be a good idea, if it's completed then.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

This sounds fun.

I'm thinking about writing a trashy side tournament. Something like this tournament goes to 11 (with less rounds of course), except you only have 4 players to split between 2 rounds. Of course, everything would packet would be a trash topic or a trashy theme.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

Several car-related incidents preclude me from having the money necessary to attend this. <- EDITED
nalin wrote:This sounds fun.

I'm thinking about writing a trashy side tournament. Something like this tournament goes to 11 (with less rounds of course), except you only have 4 players to split between 2 rounds. Of course, everything would packet would be a trash topic or a trashy theme.
Do you mean to say that you are writing a tournament in which your team of 4 will have to play as two teams of 2 that play in simultaneously conducted rounds; or that this field is only limited to 4 people? Perhaps you could clarify this.

EDIT: Once this clarification is made (and I see it), I'll remove this post so as to not unnecessarily clutter up this thread.
EDITx2: First off, thanks for the clarification (down post). Second, it appears this post is here to stay unless some moderator wanders to this thread and deletes it for me (or someone informs me of how to delete it).
Last edited by Papa's in the House on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

starwarsguy6 wrote:I will (hopefully) play this (and any side events), but I won't be able to give a definitive answer until next semester.

Do you mean to say that you are writing a tournament in which your team of 4 will have to play as two teams of 2 that play in simultaneously conducted rounds; or that this field is only limited to 4 people? Perhaps you could clarify this.

EDIT: Once this clarification is made (and I see it), I'll remove this post so as to not unnecessarily clutter up this thread.

Your team of 4 will play as 2 teams of 2 on simultaneously conducted rounds.
Nalin
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

à la TGTT11?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

cornfused wrote:à la TGTT11?
nalin wrote:. Something like this tournament goes to 11 (with less rounds of course)
I am going to say yes
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Inspired by TGTT11, but in Trash form only. I feel its the only way you can run a trash topic packet, without alienating a significant part of the field in any given round.
Nalin
fizzball
Wakka

Post by fizzball »

nalin wrote:
Inspired by TGTT11, but in Trash form only. I feel its the only way you can run a trash topic packet, without alienating a significant part of the field in any given round.

Depauw did this at DUCK Bowl 2004. Sets have been wastebinned here.
--Greg Sorenson
Gerbils
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

This is a reminder that I'd really appreciate it if teams let me know as soon as possible if they're coming (or at least have interest in coming) so we can plan how many staff and rooms we'll need.
Mike Bentley
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'd like to come, but the dates and distance are not particularly great for me. We will see.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Cheynem wrote:I'd like to come, but the dates and distance are not particularly great for me. We will see.
What he said.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

I'm probably going to play this but I can't say for sure yet.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
gregpweinstein
Lulu

Post by gregpweinstein »

I am interested in coming as a free agent, and maybe a team. Ill talk to some people this weekend at my tournament and let you know, if I can get them to travel up there
Mr. Charles Montgomery Burns, "I cant be responsible for what my goons are ordered to do."
Greg "Lover of red-headed women, The Simpsons, and various other stuff" Weinstein
Berry College 2007-?
Charlie and Lolcat
Lulu

Post by Charlie and Lolcat »

If I can arrange the funding, I plan to play in this. If I can't come up with it in full, I'll be happy to free agent for somebody.
Dave Porter
Douglas Freeman (2002-2005 as a player, 2006-2010 as staffer discount; 2010-2014 as volunteer consultant/assistant coach)
Freelance Trash player (2008-present)
Perennial VHSL Staffer (Conference 11 and Region 5A South)
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

Is there any chance you guys could add some year targets to the distro? Like how much from each decade or something like that? If my first choices for teammates fall through this may affect who I try to get to play with me. And which sets we practice on. I imagine I'm not the only one in that boat.
Steve Bahnaman, Campbell University
Commissioner, Online Quiz League USA (quizcentral.net)
NC Wesleyan College, Librarian and Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach 2009-2011
Emory Academic Team, 1999-2004
Pretty trashy
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Generally it's around 2/2 after 1990 and 2/2 before 1990 for movies, music and television. Sports probably balance a little more recent.
Mike Bentley
gambit86
Lulu

Post by gambit86 »

The Luna brothers, Jason and myself, will be coming. At the moment I am trying to find 1 or 2 other people to make a whole team but if we can't, we could be free agents, or just play as the two of us, whichever one makes the tournament run more smoothly.
Marcus Luna

University of California Irvine '08
Law School '13
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

FYI I've posted the first field update. See the second post in the thread.
Mike Bentley
Jamnman23
Lulu

Post by Jamnman23 »

I am interested in coming to this. I don't know whether I will have to be a free agent or if I can get some kind of team together.
Benjamin Frank
University of Pennsylvania 2012
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Some remnant of the 08-09 MAQT trash team will be attending this - perhaps with two groups, but we'll have one at least.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

I expect to be playing this in some capacity.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I would like to play in this; being able to is a different matter.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

I'm about 95% certain I'm going to play this. I am trying to get some of my Chicago teammates to play but that appears unlikely. So for now I'll call myself a free agent.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I am seriously doubting I will be able to play this. I understand it is a national tournament, but is there any chance of like a delayed mirror? I'd like to play this in a tournament-style setting, not just at drunken practices.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

I'll be here if it doesn't conflict with any fieldwork or academic obligations (so probably 50/50); dunno who I'll be playing with yet, though.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

After having talked with some people at the Guelph mirror of MUT, I can say that I am likely to attend this (maybe as a free agent though...it depends how Mac's plans turn out)
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

After a more favorable prescription for summer finances came through, I'm about 80% sure I'll be here. Barring a Minnesota team traveling out to this, I'll be a free agent and I'd definitely like to play with someone with a car since I would be flying out here.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

What is the policy on outside staff?

If I can swing it, I would be willing to make it three national tournaments in June.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

dtaylor4 wrote:What is the policy on outside staff?

If I can swing it, I would be willing to make it three national tournaments in June.
I don't think we have the budget to pay for much in the way of transportation or lodging costs, but we'd certainly welcome any outside staff helping out.
Mike Bentley
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:
dtaylor4 wrote:What is the policy on outside staff?

I don't think we have the budget to pay for much in the way of transportation or lodging costs, but we'd certainly welcome any outside staff helping out.
OK. If I can swing it, and can hitch a ride with someone travelling, I'll come.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Cheynem wrote:After a more favorable prescription for summer finances came through, I'm about 80% sure I'll be here. Barring a Minnesota team traveling out to this, I'll be a free agent and I'd definitely like to play with someone with a car since I would be flying out here.
Somewhat related, I heard recently that Delta is going to resume nonstop flights between RIC and MSP on June 11.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

I'd enjoy playing this tournament, preferably with a group of other Mid-Atlantic/Northeast/NYC Metro area players that I can travel with. I am rather proficient at Trash as well if that's any incentive at all, which I imagine is minuscule.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm now definitely going to be here. Anyone interested in either playing this with me/going in on lodging or transportation?

This is also the weekend of my birthday.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Cheynem wrote:I'm now definitely going to be here. Anyone interested in either playing this with me/going in on lodging or transportation?

Gonna see if I can work this out; if I can I'd certainly be interested in doing these things.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Cheynem wrote:I'm now definitely going to be here. Anyone interested in either playing this with me/going in on lodging or transportation?

I'd be down for playing this, and especially if you were planning on driving, I could probably find my way up to Michigan and would be willing to chip in majorly to lodging costs, etc.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'd be coming to this from Minnesota and not driving.

EDIT: More or less have a team now.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

As a reminder, the early registration deadline is coming up soon. If you want to save $20 on your registration fee, you should do so by 4/15.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I've updated the field. It would be great if more teams signed up for this tournament. We've written a bunch of good questions for this tournament and it would be a shame if only a small field gets to play it.
Mike Bentley
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

For the record, my team is definitely coming now and is myself, Rob, the charming, gregarious David Seal, and the mercurial, nefarious Michael Arnold.
Last edited by Cheynem on Sat May 08, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I've updated the field. It would be great if more teams signed up for this tournament. We've written a bunch of good questions for this tournament and it would be a shame if only a small field gets to play it.
Mike Cheyne, David Seal, Michael Arnold, and I have formed a team (I believe).
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

TOO SLOW
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Cheynem wrote:TOO SLOW
Man, the forum didn't even warn me!
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Ukonvasara wrote:
no rob you are the forum
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Cantaloupe (disambiguation) wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:
no rob you are the forum
No! You will BE KILL BY FORUM

(on a more serious note, teams should totally come to this tournament!)
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Ukonvasara wrote:(on a more serious note, teams should totally come to this tournament!)
I'm working on it...I will update you again in a few weeks if it turns out I need a team
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Is this still happening? Also, are you and/or other Michigan State people coming to the tournament?
Mike Bentley