Vanderbilt ABC XXXVIII--11/7/2009

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rjaguar3
Rikku

Re: Vanderbilt ABC XXXVIII--11/7/2009

Post by rjaguar3 »

FredMorlan wrote:So is there an ETA on whatever stats being posted?
I just sent Daichi the stats. He wants to go back and add in toss-ups, but I'm going to let him take care of that.
Greg (Vanderbilt 2012, Wheaton North 2008)
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Hey, sorry for the delay on the stats. You can find them here: http://results.scobo.net/aestheteboy.

Please note that we used bouncebacks, and that we are missing scoresheets (not the scores themselves) from two games. Prelim games and Playoff games are in the same file (Every team has 5 prelims + 1 Playoff, 4 qtr. finalists have 7 games, 2 semifinalists have 8, and the two 2 finalists have 9). For whatever reason, we don't have PPB right now; I'll try to have that fixed soon.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
ahunt
Lulu

Post by ahunt »

Do you have any of the JV stats?

Thanks!
Allison Hunt
duPont Manual High School
Louisville, KY
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

ahunt wrote:Do you have any of the JV stats?

Thanks!
We more or less ran the Varsity and JV divisions as separate tournaments with separate TDs, so I'm not sure what happened at the JV tournament. Jack may have the scoresheets, but my honest guess is that we won't have the JV stats for this tournament. I'm sorry, but I'll try and see if we have anything.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

The Varsity stats have been fixed. If people enjoy 15s, -5s, and individual stats, we might try to do that in the future so y'all should let us know.
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Any word on the date for ABC XXXVIX?
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Joshua Rutsky wrote:Any word on the date for ABC XXXVIX?
Many schools are still on winter break, so probably not.
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Joshua Rutsky wrote:Any word on the date for ABC XXXVIX?
We are planning for February 27th. I apologize for not writing the new tournament announcement yet, but we will do that very soon.
jwoolley
Lulu

Post by jwoolley »

Why February 27th? That is totally unexpected! The previous 38 Vanderbilt ABCs were all held in March or April. We have already commited to compete in the Academic WorldQuest in Louisville on February 27th, having no idea that it might conflict with a Vandy tournament. Is it possible to reconsider and choose a date in March or April?
John Woolley
Assistant Academic Coach
Owensboro High School
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

It doesn't seem to me like the second to last date in February is very far off from March at all. Also, sometimes teams have conflicts, everyone deals with it, your school is not unique.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

That date will be fine for Grayson; we should be bringing two teams.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
jwoolley
Lulu

Post by jwoolley »

I have been an academic coach for 26 years and am quite aware that it is not unique to have conflicts with competitions being scheduled on the same date. However, when a tournament has a history of being held for 19 years between the middle of March and the middle of April, one does not logically anticipate a conflict with a late February date. The 19 previous spring Vandy ABCs have been held between March 13 and April 17. Of those, 11 have been held between March 13 and March 31 and 8 have been held between April 2 and April 17. I have personally taken teams to 17 of those tournaments, as well as to 18 of the fall ABCs. We have kept our March and April dates open because we obviously enjoy competing in Vandy tournaments. We do not want to miss one simply because they have chosen a date that is two weeks earlier than the spring tournament has ever been held.
John Woolley
Assistant Academic Coach
Owensboro High School
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Excellent points, John. Planning a tournament schedule is a tricky activity with all our players' commitments. A tournament moving out of their usual range of hosting dates can be a problem for coaches who plan in advance. Our State JV Tournament will be Feb 27 and I have a previous commitment for a varsity event then as well.
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

If you do reschedule, late March would probably work the best for the majority of Kentucky teams.
(Because of JV "State" and KY NAQT being in April)
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
jwoolley
Lulu

Post by jwoolley »

Thanks for the support Rick. I believe that March 20 or 27 would work well for most Kentucky teams, as would April 17, unless that is the date for the tournaments that Scott mentioned. April 3 and 10 fall during spring break for many.
John Woolley
Assistant Academic Coach
Owensboro High School
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

U of L is planning on hosting KY NAQT on April 17; however, they are not sure on the date yet.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 »

U of L is hosting NAQT state on April 17th.
Matt Church
University of Louisville
Matt Church
University of Louisville
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

Thanks for the input, everyone. This is my first year at Vanderbilt, and I wasn't aware about the tradition of hosting the spring tournament around late March. I decided on the date because I had earlier heard that many schools in this area have spring break in March and April. My decision about the date may have been somewhat hasty. I will do my homework (asking other people and schools) and consider what date will be the most convenient for everyone, but please do understand that it will be very unlikely for us to be able to accommodate all teams that are interested.
Look out for an announcement either way soon.