ACF Winter Southeast at UGA (1/16)

Old college threads.
gwaustin4
Lulu

ACF Winter Southeast at UGA (1/16)

Post by gwaustin4 »

UGA is hosting ACF Winter on the date 1/16. If you are interested in registering please email [email protected].

LOCATION: It will take place in the Sanford and Caldwell Halls on UGA's campus, with registration being in Sanford Hall from 8 to 8:45, with the intention of starting at 9:00. The address for Sanford is 312 HERTY DRIVE, ATHENS, GA 30602. Map: http://maps.uga.edu/website/htmlviewer/ ... viewer.htm

PRICE: Standard ACF pricing, so the base fee for teams is $120. Discounts are available as follows:
• $5 off for each [functional] buzzer set.
• $10 off for each staffer.
• $5 for a laptop: only 1 allowed per team.
• $10 off for every 200 miles you traveled (as determined by mapquest).
• $25 for every team that is new to ACF
• $75 off for every team that is new to quizbowl.
• $50 off for high school teams

We would prefer it if you gave us all checks the day of the tournament, and cash is acceptable. Make out all checks to Athens Quizbowl, and DO NOT make them out to UGA quizbowl.

PACKETS: As per the ACF submission rules, any team (not program, but team of 1-4 people who plan to play the tournament together) that contains at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2008 is required to submit a packet in order to participate in an ACF tournament in 2009-2010. This includes ACF Winter. Teams required to submit packets who do not by the final deadline (or a negotiated extension of the final deadline) will be dropped from the tournament.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use "ACF Winter 2010: [Team Name]" in the subject line.

This year's submission schedule is as follows:

Packet submitted on or before:
November 22, 2009: -$50
December 6, 2009: -$25 (-$50 for teams not required to submit packets)
December 20, 2009: No penalty (-$25 for teams not required to submit packets; optional packets will not be accepted after this deadline)
December 27, 2009: +$25
January 3, 2010: +$50
After January 3, 2010: The editors may grant one or more 24-hour extensions at an additional penalty of $10 per day.
For questions relating to packet submission, contact [email protected]

More info about the format will be edited in when we know a little more about the field size. We look forward to hearing from you, if you have any questions email [email protected].
Last edited by gwaustin4 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
gwaustin4
Lulu

Re: ACF Winter Southeast at UGA (1/16)

Post by gwaustin4 »

Also, info on the target difficulty for this tournament can be found here: http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... er#p161512

FIELD
Alabama (2)
Alpharetta (1)
Amherst (1)
Bevill CC (2)
Berry (1)
Mudkip/Chattahoochee (1)
Chipola (1)
Clemson (1)
Dorman (2)
FSU (1)
Furman (1)
Georgia Tech (1)
Hannah Kirsch
House (1)
Northeast Alabama CC (1)
Southside (2)
USC (2)
Vanderbilt (1)

Expressed interest:
Central Gwinnett

Buzzers:
Berry (1)
Bevill CC (6)
Chipola (2)
Dorman (4)
FSU (2)
Furman (1)
Georgia Tech (1)
Northeast Alabama CC (1)
Southside (2)
USC (1)
Vanderbilt (1)
Last edited by gwaustin4 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Post by Nuclear Densometer Test »

Southside is "expressing interest" for 1 or 2 teams.
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

Fun fact: The "l" comes before the "g" in my last name.
gwaustin4
Lulu

Post by gwaustin4 »

Due to some winter activities fair, Journalism is no longer an option. Important information on the building location has been edited into the first post. For now, Sanford and Caldwell halls will be used, with registration taking place in Sanford.
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

This is a little off-topic, but... I am pleased to inform the Southeast that Furman will be hosting a mirror of Harvard T-Party in collaboration with Southside on 2/27. Details can be found in this thread:
http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9054

Apologies to Wes for jacking your thread.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
gwaustin4
Lulu

Post by gwaustin4 »

Ben Cole wrote: Apologies to Wes for jacking your thread.

After what I did to your cake, your apologies are hardly necessary.
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

gwaustin4 wrote:
Ben Cole wrote: Apologies to Wes for jacking your thread.

After what I did to your cake, your apologies are hardly necessary.
it was glorious
Nick
Quizzical
Lulu

Post by Quizzical »

Northeast Alabama Community College will attend ACF Winter with one team.
Daphne Huntley/NACC
(Northeast Ala. Comm. College)
[email protected]
gwaustin4
Lulu

Post by gwaustin4 »

Quizzical wrote:Northeast Alabama Community College will attend ACF Winter with one team.
Could you email this to the team email account, and include if you'll be bringing any buzzers, staffers, etc. ?
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

I am expressing interest in attending ACF Winter mirror in UGA. I should probably mention that, as well as finish my packet here pretty soon.
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
gwaustin4
Lulu

Post by gwaustin4 »

The field is getting somewhat large, and there are still a few more potentials that may contact us soon. We have enough moderators and workers on our team that our TD intends to use, but as we use more of them, the quality as a whole will decrease.

Therefore, any potential moderators are more than encouraged to come out.
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
gwaustin4
Lulu

Post by gwaustin4 »

The field post above has been updated according to our scheduler's list as of today, so if something is wrong email the team account with the correct information. Also, if the buzzer info is wrong, email about that too. And it goes without saying, if you are one of the two unconfirmed teams, we need to hear a legitimate confirmation by email asap.

Also, we would be more than grateful for any potential staffers, so if you could work that out we would appreciate an email confirmation. Or, if you had been planning on bringing a staffer or freelance staffing and we do not have you on the list below, please let us know.

Staffers:
Ahmad
Berry (1)
Chipola (1)
Robert Slade
USC (2)
Last edited by gwaustin4 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

This might be the best field I have ever seen for a southeastern tournament.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

I believe Southside will be bringing two buzzer systems. I apologize if this was not previously indicated in our registration.

Also, since we're going without school recognition, we'll have to register by some other name. I'll get back to you on what specifically we'll be calling ourselves.
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

Ben --

Does Southside have two full teams of players going to the tournament this weekend? I am asking because I have a student (possibly two students) very interested in playing at this event. He/they would love to play on a team with other high school players if you have don't have full teams going to the event. They are willing to pay their portion of the entry fee out of pocket as Central Gwinnett is not formally participating in this event either.

Cathy Hirsch
Coach
Central Gwinnett H.S.
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

I don't think ACF allows teams with members from multiple schools at their tournaments...
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

Could someone confirm for me whether or not ACF rules allow a team to be made up of players from more than one school? I was in attendance at last year's ACF Winter at UGA and I'm pretty sure that a few "mixed" teams participated at that event. I would love for my student to get a chance to play on a team on Saturday, if there is any way that it is possible.

Cathy Hirsch
Coach
Central Gwinnett H.S.
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

At Regionals last year, after asking the head editor, some friends and I were allowed to play on a mixed team as long as we agreed not to be in contention for the championship bracket/match. Maybe take it up with the Winter editors.
Nick
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Nick wrote:At Regionals last year, after asking the head editor, some friends and I were allowed to play on a mixed team as long as we agreed not to be in contention for the championship bracket/match. Maybe take it up with the Winter editors.
This is exactly what will happen, assuming the people running the tournament approve. Mixed teams can play, but they are treated as exhibition teams, and cannot "win" the tournament.
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

Thanks for getting back to me about that. I am not even sure if Southside (or any other high school teams) will want to form a team with my player, but I can assure you that he is only interested in participating in this event for the experience and has no illusions of actually winning the tournament.

Cathy Hirsch
Coach
Central Gwinnett H.S.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

dtaylor4 wrote:
Nick wrote:At Regionals last year, after asking the head editor, some friends and I were allowed to play on a mixed team as long as we agreed not to be in contention for the championship bracket/match. Maybe take it up with the Winter editors.
This is exactly what will happen, assuming the people running the tournament approve. Mixed teams can play, but they are treated as exhibition teams, and cannot "win" the tournament.
This is false. Mixed teams are not allowed to play Winter. This includes teams comprised of high school students who attend different high schools. There are no exceptions.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

theMoMA wrote:
dtaylor4 wrote:
This is false. Mixed teams are not allowed to play Winter. This includes teams comprised of high school students who attend different high schools. There are no exceptions.
My apologies. I was operating under the rules for last year, where some sites did allow exhibition teams.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Some sites were granted the ability to allow open teams this year (Washington and Texas), but that was in the interest of providing full fields in developing quizbowl regions. The editors of future ACF tournaments will make similar considerations when tournament directors bring concerns to our attention, but ACF allowing open teams in more quizbowl-developed regions is a thing of the past.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

theMoMA wrote:This is false. Mixed teams are not allowed to play Winter. This includes teams comprised of high school students who attend different high schools. There are no exceptions.
Sorry, Cathy. My teammates and I spoke about the possibility today until we saw this post. It's a shame your player couldn't have come to Fall, though.

centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

It seems like a shame for a high school student who really wants to try playing at his first college tournament not to get a chance to play if there is a space available on another high school team. However, if those are the rules, we'll have to abide by them.

Cathy Hirsch
Coach
Central Gwinnett H.S.
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

centralhs wrote:It seems like a shame for a high school student who really wants to try playing at his first college tournament not to get a chance to play if there is a space available on another high school team. However, if those are the rules, we'll have to abide by them.

Cathy Hirsch
Coach
Central Gwinnett H.S.
He probably doesn't want to, but if he played solo, he'd be able to play for free, as he'd get the high school and shorthanded discount.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
gwaustin4
Lulu

Post by gwaustin4 »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote: He probably doesn't want to, but if he played solo, he'd be able to play for free, as he'd get the high school and shorthanded discount.
Why should being solo really be that much of a dealbreaker? Maybe for a high schooler in a college tournament it would seem a little daunting, but it could prove a valuable experience. I always felt like being solo made me listen more closely to all tossups, as opposed to simply relying on others for certain subjects, which helped me learn more, not to mention it gave me a good reason to get to know players/teams from around the circuit, which I feel makes the game more fun.

I mean, I can understand the difficulties involved, but I don't think they outweigh the benefits.

Edits on this one and the next: fixing quotes.
Last edited by gwaustin4 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
gwaustin4
Lulu

Post by gwaustin4 »

gwaustin4 wrote:
AlphaQuizBowler wrote: He probably doesn't want to, but if he played solo, he'd be able to play for free, as he'd get the high school and shorthanded discount.
Why should being solo really be that much of a dealbreaker? Maybe for a high schooler in a college tournament it would seem a little daunting, but it could prove a valuable experience. I always felt like being solo made me listen more closely to all tossups, as opposed to simply relying on others for certain subjects, which helped me learn more, not to mention it gave me a good reason to get to know players/teams from around the circuit, which I feel makes the game more fun.

I mean, I can understand the difficulties involved, but I don't think they outweigh the benefits.
Not that his decision is any of my business, and anyway I suppose my opinion is probably biased because I'm on uga's team.
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Difficulties resulting from our not being sponsored by our school mean that our B team can no longer attend this tournament. Sorry to drop this on you two days before the tournament, Wes.

Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Southside's pseudonym for this tournament will be The Physical Impossibility of Defeating Southside in the Mind of Someone Living. This is necessary because we don't have official school sponsorship.

I don't care how you enter us during the tournament, so long as the final stats show us with our pseudonym rather than our school name.

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Word from an embedded reporter: round two has not yet started. Explanations include a last minute drop requiring rebracketing, poor rebracketing requiring rerebracketing, and subsequent time being required to set up the rooms because all the staff were needed for rebracketing.
Andrew Watkins
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Round 4 is about start it is currently 12:25...

-Auroni Gupta

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Yikes.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Dude hurry Drive-By Truckers are playing at 40 Watt (their home base) tonight!!!!
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Picking up steam! Last round of the prelims mere minutes away, and it is only 4pm...

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

SnookerUSF wrote:Picking up steam! Last round of the prelims mere minutes away, and it is only 4pm...
Socrates has been pronounced as "so crates" without--reports suggest--irony.
Andrew Watkins
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
SnookerUSF wrote:Picking up steam! Last round of the prelims mere minutes away, and it is only 4pm...
I think you forgot:
'/snickers blatantly at reader'
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

FredMorlan wrote:
I think you forgot:
'/snickers blatantly at reader'
I've heard no accounts of sass!
Andrew Watkins
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

So we're apparently doing half games now. This is not good. Not good at all.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

The Midnight Rider wrote:So we're apparently doing half games now. This is not good. Not good at all.
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
The Midnight Rider wrote:So we're apparently doing half games now. This is not good. Not good at all.
Apparently there's a four-way tie for first place (or some championship-relevant place) and instead of deciding who's in the finals by playoff PPG or overall PPB or something, they're playing matches among those teams.

Half-games generally aren't, like, necessarily inherently the worst thing. The reason half games leave a bad taste in the mouth is the recent inexplicable practice of using two half games to do an "advantaged final." But half-games or minimatches of some kind are used with some success sometimes, right? That's at least the impression I've gotten.
Andrew Watkins
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
Apparently there's a four-way tie for first place (or some championship-relevant place) and instead of deciding who's in the finals by playoff PPG or overall PPB or something, they're playing matches among those teams.

Half-games generally aren't, like, necessarily inherently the worst thing. The reason half games leave a bad taste in the mouth is the recent inexplicable practice of using two half games to do an "advantaged final." But half-games or minimatches of some kind are used with some success sometimes, right? That's at least the impression I've gotten.

Any news on who these teams are?
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Dark Ages: Fae wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote:

The top 4 were FSU, Vandy, USC, and Clemson. Finals were between fsu and bandy,with fsu winning 240-205.
William
Harvard '15
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote:

The top 4 were FSU, Vandy, USC, and Clemson. Finals were between fsu and bandy,with fsu winning 240-205.
FSU being Billy, or did he have a team?
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote:

FSU being Billy, or did he have a team?
He had a team.
William
Harvard '15
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Yeah, the reason for the half games was apparently that the building was going to close at 9:00 and the campus police were pressuring us to get out right then. It was certainly one of the most competitive tournaments I've ever seen, with about 6 teams towards the top that were taking turns beating each other.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Stats may now be found here
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

uga_chris wrote:Stats may now be found here
Could these be separated into playoff brackets?
William
Harvard '15
gwaustin4
Lulu

Post by gwaustin4 »

Some limited results to clarify stats:

in no order:
Top Playoff Bracket: Shoun college, FSU, Vandy, Dorman A, USC A, Clemson
Middle Playoff Bracket: GaTech, Furman, Alpharetta, House, USC B, Brandeis
Lower Playoff Bracket: Chipola, Mudkip, Alabama B, Alabama A, Amherst, Dorman B
Many of the playoff standings were affected by people leaving. I believe Bevill State and Berry left early, as well as some teams during the course of the playoffs. In addition, many players from some teams that continued to stay (Ga Tech and House that I know of, among others that I'm not aware) left early as well. Most notably, the third place spot was not officially decided because of one of the teams wanting to leave. With that said,

1. FSU
2. Vandy
3. USC A
3. Clemson

is the TD's ranking. Lastly, to whichever high scorers that left before the 'awards ceremony' or were simply not present, UGA quizbowl owes you a book.
Wes Austin
Chattahoochee '09
UGA '09-
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

It was great to have the opportunity to play quizbowl in a new region, and thanks to UGA for hosting!

That being said, I'd like to offer some constructive criticism on running tournaments; the tournament went so late that I was at one point a little concerned about how I would make my 8 a.m. flight in Tampa. I understand that for a lot of UGA players, this was probably their first experience running a tournament, but minor measures could have allowed me (and the inestimable Ahmad Ragab) to get some sleep.

1. Have contingency schedules: This is what sort of began the delays. Having schedules drawn up for n, n-1, and, if you're really anal, n-2 teams will cover all the bases.
2. Send buzzers to rooms to be set up as soon as they arrive: Staffers who are waiting around to begin reading could receive their room assignments immediately and take a buzzer with them so that once all teams have arrived and have been briefed, rounds can start almost immediately. This is also a good opportunity to note down which buzzers are in which rooms for easy retrieval at the end of the day.
3. Have playoff schedules already drawn up and printed, in blank, at the bottom of the prelim schedules: You use less paper reprinting schedules, and teams can just write in which teams are in their bracket.
4. Ask for help: Plenty of people post in these forums when they have an awkward number of teams coming to a tournament or want advice on some other point of TD'ing. I'm not a TD'ing ace, but there are experts who would be happy to offer you advice.
5. Make sure readers keep things moving: You can't really do anything, after a point, about slow readers, but you can make sure your readers know not to engage in any inter-question chitchat and not to brook it from teams. That will slow down a round more surely than slow speech! Making sure readers are counting reasonable amounts of time (5 seconds being 5, not more like 10) also helps.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."