UA Admiral Ackbar Invitational Tournament - January 30

Old college threads.
linaloki
Lulu

UA Admiral Ackbar Invitational Tournament - January 30

Post by linaloki »

We're trying this again. As just a for fun, loose CUT-style IS A-set tournament, the University of Alabama will be hosting the Admiral Ackbar Invitational January 30.

We hope you can attend. We want it to be a good time and small break before NAQT Sectionals drop in. More information will be going up within the next week or so. Please let us know if you're interested by e-mailing [email protected]. Pricing information and details will go up soon. We ask you confirm your attendance by Thursday, January 28.

We'll be using set 91A. The tournament will be held in Bidgood, with registration starting at 8 a.m. in Alston Hall. We hope to begin play at 9 a.m.

Pricing: $75 per team.
Buzzers: $10 discount per set.
Travel: $10 discount for every 100 miles traveled.
$5 discount for solo players.

Maps can be found here: http://tour.ua.edu/map/

Parking and a more specific map will go up later.

Teams:
MSU (2-3)
Snead (2)
West Florida
Clemson (2)
Last edited by linaloki on Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sean Randall
University of Alabama '11
President of AAQT 2009-10
[email protected]
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Re: UA Admiral Ackbar Invitational Tournament - January 30

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

Snead will probably be interested in sending a team (even if it's just me) to this.
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

Showing interest.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

All right. We've garnered a bit of interest, enough for maybe 5 or 6 CUT teams, and Alabama hopes to throw in some of our own new and somewhat inexperienced players. Cost and location will be announced as soon as I get e-mails back from those that are in charge of those things. There will definitely be discounts for buzzers sets and, being as UA's set is now defunct, we ask you bring as many as you can.

Sorry for the slow information flow. This will all officially be up no later than Friday.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

linaloki wrote:All right. We've garnered a bit of interest, enough for maybe 5 or 6 CUT teams, and Alabama hopes to throw in some of our own new and somewhat inexperienced players. Cost and location will be announced as soon as I get e-mails back from those that are in charge of those things. There will definitely be discounts for buzzers sets and, being as UA's set is now defunct, we ask you bring as many as you can.

Sorry for the slow information flow. This will all officially be up no later than Friday.
If needed, I'm sure some of Snead could split up if you'd like some more teams. I wouldn't mind playing solo. I'll talk to my coach at practice tomorrow and see if we can bring our crappy self-clearing buzzers, I'm sure Andy can tell you how bad those are.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
gabobo
Lulu

Post by gabobo »

I believe that you will be using the same set (IS90) that Northwest Shoals plans to use in February, so any ACBL teams (Like Snead) will have to make a choice between tournaments.
Glenn Allen Bobo
Bevill State Community College
Jasper, AL
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Dangit Bobo you ruin everything! (Kidding) I didn't know that part, a set change could always work, even if it was an A-Set. I believe the only non A-Set we aren't using is IS-94. Any type of tournament, be it A-Set, IS, or ACF-style could only serve as a type of warm-up for CCCT
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Mark wrote:I didn't know that part, a set change could always work, even if it was an A-Set. I believe the only non A-Set we aren't using is IS-94.
The chances of IS #94 being ready by January 30th are nil (its current first use is scheduled for February 27th, and meanwhile we have an SCT to finish). Let me ask R. what the best solution is.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

bt_green_warbler wrote:
Mark wrote:I didn't know that part, a set change could always work, even if it was an A-Set. I believe the only non A-Set we aren't using is IS-94.
The chances of IS #94 being ready by January 30th are nil (its current first use is scheduled for February 27th, and meanwhile we have an SCT to finish). Let me ask R. what the best solution is.
Ahh well that isn't good. I wouldn't mind if they were to do an A-Set. Besides, I always love going to Tuscaloosa.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Is there a reason Penn Bowl, a tournament that is noted not only for its quality but also for the fact that it's written and intended for a collegiate audience, is not being looked at, yet an A-set is?

Note: NAQT says about A-sets - on its own website, where it tries to sell the sets! - the following:

"These questions (formerly known as "A-level" sets) are intended for use at early-in-the-year high school tournaments, tournaments with new or inexperienced players, and tournaments with teams unfamiliar with NAQT questions. They can be licensed for high school or community college tournaments, but are probably inappropriately easy for varsity play by four-year colleges."
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

You know Fred I hadn't even thought about that. I was wondering myself why there wasn't a mirror announced in the SouthEastern region. I believe U-LM is doing a mirror of it but that would be inaccessible to most teams around here. I'd love to get a chance to play Penn Bowl.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

Mirroring Penn Bowl sounds like a pretty good idea if you decide not to use that IS set. Would suggest.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I didn't want to come across as hostile, but I really don't get hosting a college tournament on an A-set for anything other than a batch of completely new to quiz bowl teams (and even then I don't believe that's the best answer). That's a whole different thread, though.

I actually overlooked that Louisiana-Lafayette was hosting a mirror of Penn Bowl on this date.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

My personal suggestion was for UA to move the date of Admiral Ackbar to early-mid March and host a mirror of MUT. Although playing on NAQT questions an opportunity for players to play an IS-A tournament before SCT, the questions do not in any way help you prepare for SCT. I just don't understand what the problem is with moving the tournament up five or six weeks and mirroring MUT or something like that. I don't know where the teams in this field from this tournament are coming from because the field hasn't been posted, but my personal concern was that it could take a team or two away from our field, in addition to UA not attending. Generally, it's a good idea to communicate with teams in the region so your tournaments don't conflict with theirs. Even though we're a good six-hour drive from Tuscaloosa, part of Admiral Ackbar's field is potentially part of ours, and so you may be taking a customer or two away from us, which doesn't necessarily sit well with us and may even take away a little bit of profit from the folks at Penn who took their time to write a potentially high-quality set.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

A MUT mirror in Alabama would be very very awesome.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

Well, we hope to host one more tournament after Ackbar. Perhaps it will be the MUT mirror. In this case, we currently have reserved IS-90. However, I'm trying to see if switching to, say, IS-92 would make things easier for schools to come participate. Since A-Sets were pretty thoroughly shot down, we'll try to stick to the standard IS.

Is there significant interest in a Penn Mirror, though? I know ULL is doing one, and I don't want to step on that, but it is admittedly a bit far for Georgia, Tennessee and other states to travel. I can look into mirroring Penn if that garners more interest.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

I'd be interested in a Penn Bowl mirror, and it's a shorter drive for us to Tuscaloosa than to Lafayette.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Snead and more than likely Northeast as well (and maybe a couple other CCs) would love a Penn Bowl Mirror

EDIT: If you use IS-92 none of the CCs will be able to attend due to it being used at our Sectionals this coming weekend.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

DarkMatter wrote:I don't know where the teams in this field from this tournament are coming from because the field hasn't been posted, but my personal concern was that it could take a team or two away from our field, in addition to UA not attending. Generally, it's a good idea to communicate with teams in the region so your tournaments don't conflict with theirs.
Did you completely ignore this portion of my message?

Why would you mirror PennBowl when there is already a mirror in the region? Why don't you just push the tournament date back to March? I didn't defend you on the boards a month ago so that you can just cross-schedule a fucking tournament with ours. There is no reason for you to do that. Our budget is terrible, this is one of the only opportunities we have to make any money at all this semester, and you want to cross-schedule a tournament with ours.

Forget that A-set questions won't really help anyone in preparing for SCT. Forget that you thought about mirroring THE SAME TOURNAMENT THAT WE ARE HOSTING IN 10 DAYS, and that our tournament was announced late anyway mainly because I didn't know if you were going to even hold this tournament. Just forget it. Forget that I don't know if you're taking away from our field or not. And most certainly forget that if we don't make enough money from this tournament, I may have to pay a good portion of our tournament expenses out-of-pocket, while you have a really nice budget over in Alabama.

Forget all of that. Is there any reason why you wouldn't just reschedule the tournament? So you're thinking about hosting a tournament on 1/30 that no audience actually knows the difficulty level of. Either you play the tournament on an A-set, or you try to mirror Penn Bowl which will at the very least piss me off to no end if you get a field anywhere NEAR the size of ours (currently five teams) OR take potential customers away, and I don't see how any field could benefit both from A-sets and Penn Bowl. So does your field consist of the same teams? This is why we schedule tournaments in advance. I know I've been guilty of announcing a tournament only two or three weeks before it happens on maybe one occasion, but this is just absurd. If you play the tournament on an A-Set, MAYBE you're helping out some CC teams that will come to your tournament, but you're surely not helping your own team out by having them play on it. Playing on Penn Bowl questions will not help CC players prepare for SCT at all, but it may help your own field. I suppose I'm asking you what it is you are trying to accomplish by hosting this tournament.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

linaloki wrote:I know ULL is doing one, and I don't want to step on that, but it is admittedly a bit far for Georgia, Tennessee and other states to travel.
My utmost apologies. I didn't know that we had never been to a tournament in either of these states. We were present at ACF Fall 2007 and 2009 Southeast and ACF Fall 2006 at Vandy and COTKU 2007 and 2009. Oh and WE lose an hour of sleep, whereas you gain one. Hmm...
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

I hope I didn't project that A-sets were good preparation for CCCT. I just meant any tournament in general could only help us prepare, whether it be Penn Bowl, IS-Set or whatever else. I'm not sure how much of a pattern will reciprocate this year, but the 2007 iteration of Ackbar featured all CC teams but Alabama C (which I presume to be their inexperienced players) and Tulane. So if that pattern follows (which chances are I'm sure it won't since this would be the week after our sectionals and most of the CC teams had their budgets cut) the only team it would draw away from your tournament is Tulane, but I imagine Tulane would end up going to yours.
DarkMatter wrote:
linaloki wrote:I know ULL is doing one, and I don't want to step on that, but it is admittedly a bit far for Georgia, Tennessee and other states to travel.
My utmost apologies. I didn't know that we had never been to a tournament in either of these states. We were present at ACF Fall 2007 and 2009 Southeast and ACF Fall 2006 at Vandy and COTKU 2007 and 2009. Oh and WE lose an hour of sleep, whereas you gain one. Hmm...
Well not many teams are fortunate to be able to travel long distances alot or if ever, especially if it's a 2-year college, which make up a good bit of the active scene in Alabama (Samford and UA are the only 4-year active teams to my knowledge). I know if my team goes to this or any other non-ACBL tournament we'll have to pay out of our own pocket to play on something non-IS for once, which we only get to do at COTKU or another tournament like this. Our coach won't usually go with us to any non-ACBL tourneys. I don't mean to take anything away from your tournament because I know how the budget situation can be and how tournaments are a big money maker, but I'd really love to play Penn Bowl if possible and Bama seems like the only workable location my team can go to.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

Jake, you know I don't want to take away any teams from your tournament, but the conflict will be there be it IS or Penn Bowl. I merely brought up the idea because others seem to express interest in it, and the IS-90 set is apparently problematic for several potential teams.

So, if at all possible, I'd like to start a definitive list for those interested in IS-90, and those interested in Penn Mirror. Personally, I'd prefer the IS, since it will allow our newest members possible experience, and because I have everything for that already easily finalized. Penn Mirror would be a bit more work. We'd like to do what's easiest for people, especially our in-state CCs that we've been unable to cater to so far this year. So, if people could start telling me how many teams they would probably send for our original plan of a CUT-style IS-90 tournament, and how many they would send to a Penn Mirror, it would be much appreciated.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Snead would be interested in a Penn Bowl Mirror. I just talked to Casey Lowery and I'm pretty sure Northeast would be interested as well.

EDIT: We only have 5 people, but I might could get a couple buddies to come join us so that we might have enough for 2 teams. 1 team for sure though
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

One Harding team would attend for either. Penn Bowl would be nice, though.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

OK, I said my piece, I'll lighten up. A few comments, though.

Mark: The long trips are not necessarily always good for your gameplay, however fun they may be. If you have a trip that lasts more than 10 hours, it tends to hurt you, but 6 or 7 hours isn't that bad, even though it seems like it would be. My gripe is that teams consistently say that a four or five hour drive is a long drive. Saying that a seven or eight hour drive is fine, but in a thread in which I have posted a few times, I'll always have something to say. Just my policy.

Sean: You gotta get these things sorted out ahead of time! There were several opportunities for you guys to host a tournament in October and even early December. I just got annoyed that your tournament conflicted with our tournament and I thought you could have done a better job of mapping the details of your event out ahead of time.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

DarkMatter wrote:OK, I said my piece, I'll lighten up. A few comments, though.

Mark: The long trips are not necessarily always good for your gameplay, however fun they may be. If you have a trip that lasts more than 10 hours, it tends to hurt you, but 6 or 7 hours isn't that bad, even though it seems like it would be. My gripe is that teams consistently say that a four or five hour drive is a long drive. Saying that a seven or eight hour drive is fine, but in a thread in which I have posted a few times, I'll always have something to say. Just my policy.

Sean: You gotta get these things sorted out ahead of time! There were several opportunities for you guys to host a tournament in October and even early December. I just got annoyed that your tournament conflicted with our tournament and I thought you could have done a better job of mapping the details of your event out ahead of time.
Perhaps I should've worded things differently in my post. Concerning the long trips, we don't usually tend to go on long trips. To us, a 4 or 5 hour drive is long (please no flaming because I know some of the upper level players disagree) I mean we can go to a UTC tournament or maybe even Vandy because they're 1.5 and 2-2.5 hours away respectively. Our goals this year were to attend as much non-NAQT tournaments as we can (because sadly that's all we play in CC.) EFT was one of our big priorities, but it was sadly held in South Carolina. ACF Fall was our next priority, but distance wasn't the issue here and we couldn't attend because of prior commitments by my teammates. Our upcoming priorities are Penn Bowl, which is uncertain, and MUT which I hope will get mirrored somewhere relatively close. However, if our coach had offered to take us to, lets say EFT which was in SC this year, we would've gladly gone. I know it probably doesn't make any sense and I may get ridiculed for this, but we can't really make any long distance drives unless our coach takes us because we just couldn't handle it, much less afford gas and what not because only one of us has a job.

I will end with another request at not being flamed too much for what I just said, as I know some of the upper level players disagree.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

Mr. Scott makes a killing Mark make him take you, then Alabama can profit from snead!!
Owen Cooper
Gadsden City High School '07
Alabama '11

Out of business.
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Oh we're coming to Alabama ourselves if you do Penn Bowl, I meant we couldn't go to like USC or something 4-5 hours away unless he took us. Tuscaloosa is reasonable, and besides, it's Tuscaloosa!!
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

I wish we had tournaments that we could go to within 2 hours of campus...but in our case, it's near impossible. Oh I am but the greatest quizbowl road warrior of all-time (in terms of hours of driving per trip). Are you going to UA after you are done with Snead, Mark?
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

UA is actually one of the places I'm considering, along with just about every other college in Alabama. If I get lucky enough to swing one of those 5 Community College Honors scholarships I'll definitely be at UA
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

DarkMatter wrote:Sean: You gotta get these things sorted out ahead of time! There were several opportunities for you guys to host a tournament in October and even early December. I just got annoyed that your tournament conflicted with our tournament and I thought you could have done a better job of mapping the details of your event out ahead of time.
Admittedly, there was much more confusion about other tournaments, which caused confusion about our own... And our team has had a slew of inabilities for hosting. October didn't work well due to football, and December was voted down by my team due to finals. Ergo, here we stand. Our next tournament will definitely be more thoroughly planned... I think people are asking for a MUT Mirror?

In this case, I realized the lack of warning and predetermined details, so it's mostly to cater to our local CCs. Though I do see a lot of Penn Bowl interest, unless we get a decent amount more, we'll probably just stick to IS-90. Unless that means no one shows up. But I hope that's not the case. But considering Penn Bowl appears to be packet submission, and we'd be switching over rather late, I don't think doing a Penn Bowl mirror is very feasible.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

linaloki wrote:I think people are asking for a MUT Mirror?
Please. That would be extremely awesome as MUT is one of the tournaments Snead has talked about all year.
linaloki wrote:In this case, I realized the lack of warning and predetermined details, so it's mostly to cater to our local CCs. Though I do see a lot of Penn Bowl interest, unless we get a decent amount more, we'll probably just stick to IS-90. Unless that means no one shows up. But I hope that's not the case. But considering Penn Bowl appears to be packet submission, and we'd be switching over rather late, I don't think doing a Penn Bowl mirror is very feasible.
Sadly, as Bobo mentioned above none of the CCs in the state will be able to attend if you stick to IS-90, because we have a choice between this and Northwest Shoals ACBL tourney, not that I wouldn't choose T-town over that, but my coach has already made my choice for me and would probably dislike if I came here instead. However, I do hope that if you stick to IS-90 you still have a good number of teams show up and it turns out to be a good tournament.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

linaloki wrote:In this case, I realized the lack of warning and predetermined details, so it's mostly to cater to our local CCs. Though I do see a lot of Penn Bowl interest, unless we get a decent amount more, we'll probably just stick to IS-90. Unless that means no one shows up. But I hope that's not the case. But considering Penn Bowl appears to be packet submission, and we'd be switching over rather late, I don't think doing a Penn Bowl mirror is very feasible.
Lapego1 in the ULL Penn Bowl thread a week ago wrote:Just wanted to note that since this mirror was announced so late in the game, teams attending do not have to submit packets (but can still do so if they like).
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9189

...which deal it seems likely Penn would consider extending to an Alabama mirror, since all of the Penn Bowl packet deadlines have now passed.
Also, original Penn Bowl thread wrote:If anyone on a given team played a collegiate tournament before September 1, 2008, then that entire team is required to submit a packet.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8314

... which unless I'm very much mistaken about the structure of the Alabama CC circuit would exempt everyone interested in this tournament from having to write anything.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Jeff I believe you are very correct, I don't know a single person on the CC Circuit who would have to write a packet. Penn Bowl may be very doable now, but of course this is all up to the UA Quiz Team and of course the Penn Team as well.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

When I mentioned this to our coach he seemed excited at the prospect of a Penn Bowl mirror, and I know all of the players for Chipola would love it. I am not sure what site we would go to or if we would go at all, but we may discuss it and decide on it sometime soon.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

I dunno why theyd rather go to Phil Campbell hell rather than Tuscaloosa even if it is acbl that is a godforsaken place. Almost as bad as Lafayette, Louisianna!
Owen Cooper
Alabama '11

Out of business.
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Cooper98 wrote:I dunno why theyd rather go to Phil Campbell hell rather than Tuscaloosa even if it is acbl that is a godforsaken place. Almost as bad as Lafayette, Louisianna!
He's still recovering from that dreadful Cowboys game last week. Give him time.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Hey,

Further upthread, I saw that people were making inquiries about a MUT mirror. We would certainly love to have one in this area. As such, if U Alabama (or other institutions, I guess) are interested, please contact me at [email protected]

Apologies for the random derailment.

Gautam
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

DarkMatter wrote:
Cooper98 wrote:I dunno why theyd rather go to Phil Campbell hell rather than Tuscaloosa even if it is acbl that is a godforsaken place. Almost as bad as Lafayette, Louisianna!
He's still recovering from that dreadful Cowboys game last week. Give him time.
Oh I'm not a Cowboys fan Jake or any NFL team for that matter. I picked the Vikings to win the superbowl though!
Owen Cooper
Alabama '11

Out of business.
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

As forwarded, myself, plus some current Faulkner peeps are interested.

My opinion on the question set is that the best option would be to simply use an unused A-set. This would not stop the large amount of Alabama CCs from coming, since it would not interfere with ACBLer tournaments. Also, this would negate the affront to the ULL Penn Bowl Mirror. I understand the ire using A sets but...who cares. If people want to play, and show up, then...do it. I have long been of the opinion that lower level questions is not a bad thing. Fun is had, then that is all that matters. Especially given that soon all of the tournaments shall turn to ramped difficulty, then this might not be a bad time to just have a nice casual tournament before the post season in quizbowl gears forward. Alas, I am sure some reponses to this notion will follow the same pattern of personal attacks, insults, and derogatory comments that I've seen in the past, oh well.

Also, I think it is unfair to keep suggesting that UA reschedule, given that they already rescheduled the tournament once before, when it was set for December.
James A. Johnson
University of West Florida
formerly of Alabama and Faulkner State

I am an alum of southern quizbowl, the worst form imaginable, and hope and pray that the bearded quizgods shine down their rotund grace upon us all.
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

An A-set may work, especially if we're having a large amount of CC interest that would be otherwise deterred by our use of IS-90. And I still haven't heard back from Penn after messaging them earlier. Perhaps an A set would work better for people?
Sean Randall
[email protected]
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

Oh, Mark, good luck with the CC scholarships at UA. Out of our team, 3 of us got some of those partial scholarships, out of 15. One guy at Faulkner got one of those five full tuition dandys. You basically have to be USA Today All-Academic Team or no fully.
James A. Johnson

I am an alum of southern quizbowl, the worst form imaginable, and hope and pray that the bearded quizgods shine down their rotund grace upon us all.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I understand the ire using A sets but...who cares. If people want to play, and show up, then...do it.
You know there are factors like the fact that teams don't have infinite time and money that means going to play an A-set would keep collegiate teams from being able to attend as many collegiate tournaments as they otherwise would be able to, right? If quizbowl were played in a bubble where every team had infinite resources, maybe A-sets wouldn't be quite as much of an affront (although still, they're god damn A-sets! Decent high schools are refusing to play them, why on earth would any self-respecting college team want to?)
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

geekjohnson wrote: Also, this would negate the affront to the ULL Penn Bowl Mirror. I understand the ire using A sets but...who cares. If people want to play, and show up, then...do it. I have long been of the opinion that lower level questions is not a bad thing. Fun is had, then that is all that matters. Especially given that soon all of the tournaments shall turn to ramped difficulty, then this might not be a bad time to just have a nice casual tournament before the post season in quizbowl gears forward. Alas, I am sure some reponses to this notion will follow the same pattern of personal attacks, insults, and derogatory comments that I've seen in the past, oh well.
How does this benefit UA quizbowl much? Wouldn't it be a nice time to have a tournament with a little higher difficulty the week before sectionals (which counts for something)? If anything, the A-sets will hurt you in terms of preparation, because...well just because they're A-sets and they have the magical ability to do that. We are most probably catering to two different crowds here, but whatever. My suggestion to JT was to send a team over here for our Penn Bowl mirror. Firstly, they will need the same amount of staffers or even less. Secondly, it can be a good preparation for UA for SCT since our field is actually fairly deep even though we have six teams, given that our full team will almost definitely play and that we have LASA and Chris Romero coming from Texas. Thirdly, I don't see how anyone on UA's D1 teams would find A-sets to be at all interesting or beneficial to their quizbowl careers. So yeah, hopefully JT and Sean have talked about that. Plus, on the personal side, JT has never been to Louisiana for a college tournament.
geekjohnson wrote:Also, I think it is unfair to keep suggesting that UA reschedule, given that they already rescheduled the tournament once before, when it was set for December.
Well the cross-scheduling was the issue before and it was the issue this time around. It's just a matter of principle that the Admiral Ackbar tournament kept conflicting with other regional tournaments, that's all. It is a perfectly fair suggestion, not an order.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:
I understand the ire using A sets but...who cares. If people want to play, and show up, then...do it.
You know there are factors like the fact that teams don't have infinite time and money that means going to play an A-set would keep collegiate teams from being able to attend as many collegiate tournaments as they otherwise would be able to, right? If quizbowl were played in a bubble where every team had infinite resources, maybe A-sets wouldn't be quite as much of an affront (although still, they're god damn A-sets! Decent high schools are refusing to play them, why on earth would any self-respecting college team want to?)
I believe that I've suggested that NAQT restructure their question-writing duties to cater to more university-level teams in a different thread. This is one of the reasons why. It's nice to have the A-sets for average high school teams to play on, and NAQT makes a lot of money from this, etc., but they could most definitely make more difficult invitational series sets available for play. Sure, I've heard that it would take more time and resources for NAQT to do this, but seriously, they'd make a good bit of money off of this idea because there would be more college teams and advanced high school teams wanting to play those sets. I'm not suggesting that NAQT get rid of the difficulty levels they already have for IS and IS-A, I'm just suggesting it would be good to invest some time in a more difficult IS set every now and then, because IS tends to be uninteresting to a good bit of college quizbowl players.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

Well, our bid to host a Penn Bowl Mirror might not even work anyway. So, here's the options.

1) We host our tournament using IS-90, CUT-style.
2) We host our tournament using an A-set, CUT-style.

Penn Bowl is still an option, but it's looking doubtful, all factors considered. I would like to know which teams are willing to do which options.
Sean Randall
[email protected]
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

I am fine with either. Though my faulkner friends do not seem to be able to make it due to work related items.
James A. Johnson

at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

linaloki wrote:An A-set may work, especially if we're having a large amount of CC interest that would be otherwise deterred by our use of IS-90. And I still haven't heard back from Penn after messaging them earlier. Perhaps an A set would work better for people?
How are college teams put off by IS sets? I realize these are CCs, but still.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

So many things in this thread are mind-blowing, in all the wrong ways.
Fred Morlan
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Doink the Clown wrote:
linaloki wrote:An A-set may work, especially if we're having a large amount of CC interest that would be otherwise deterred by our use of IS-90. And I still haven't heard back from Penn after messaging them earlier. Perhaps an A set would work better for people?
How are college teams put off by IS sets? I realize these are CCs, but still.
As was mentioned earlier, conflicts with a different CC tournament.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT