Baby Anteater XI (1/30/10) at UC Irvine

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cvdwightw
Auron

Baby Anteater XI (1/30/10) at UC Irvine

Post by cvdwightw »

For whatever reason the Google Group is being hissy and not letting this through right now. This is a copy of the official announcement.

Hello players and coaches,

The following is the initial announcement for Baby Anteater XI (2010). Like last year, this tournament is intended for newer and less experienced players. Generally, eligibility will be limited to players in their first two years of high school quiz bowl; however, if you would like to play more experienced players, please contact us and the club will make a decision on a case-by-case basis. For the purposes of this announcement, participation in Academic League, Science/Oceans Bowl, or Academic Decathlon does not count toward the two years of quiz bowl. If you have any questions about eligibility or anything else, please email johnstom at uci dot edu.

What:

The College Bowl Club at UC-Irvine will host Baby Anteater XI (2010), an unofficial NAQT High School tournament. Official NAQT rules will be used, with the exception that the matches will be untimed. Match play will consist of bracketed round robins. Prizes will be awarded at the end of the tournament to at least the top two teams, and may consist of individual book prizes to winning team members instead of team trophies. Prizes may be awarded to individual scorers. Teams should bring their own writing utensils and scratch paper, as the club will not provide these items.

This tournament will use questions provided by National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC. The club is using Invitational Series #91A and has purchased geographic exclusivity for Southern California. It is the responsibility of participating teams to make sure that they have not attended (and do not plan to attend) another tournament anywhere in the country that is using the same packet set. Teams can find a complete explanation of geographic exclusivity on NAQT's website at http://www.naqt.com/hs/geographic-exclusivity.html and of their responsibility in maintaining question security at http://www.naqt.com/security-responsibility.html. Teams that don't know which packet sets were used at previous tournaments may find this information at http://www.naqt.com/assigned-packet-sets.jsp. Teams with questions about exclusivity or security should contact NAQT at naqt at naqt dot com.

Where and When:

The tournament will be held on Saturday, January 30, 2010, on the campus of the University of California, Irvine; likely in the Humanities Hall. Teams will meet in Room 178 of the Humanities Hall for the initial meeting, and matches will occur in the 2nd floor classrooms. We will contact participating teams if any of these instructions change. Registration will begin in Room 178 at 7:45 AM; the club will provide a light continental breakfast. Teams with buzzers (see notice below) should arrive by 8:15 AM. We will have a short meeting at 8:30 AM, and matches will begin promptly at 9 AM. The club will enforce the lateness policy as stated in the NAQT official rules. There will be ample time for lunch; there are many eateries in University Center within walking distance of Humanities Hall as well as a few eateries open in the Student Center (building 113 on the campus map).

Fees and Registration:

Base registration fee:

Base fee-first team: $80
Base fee-second and subsequent teams: $70
Buzzer discount: $10
Moderator discount: $15
Minimum fee: $50

Buzzer discount:

-$10/buzzer – Each buzzer must be in good working condition and have at least four buzzers on each side. The club recommends that schools that are bringing buzzers arrive around 8 AM at the Humanities Hall on the morning of the tournament. One or more team representatives may need to go with their buzzer to help the club official set up and test their buzzer.

Experienced moderator discount:

-$15/experienced moderator – The club may use a certain number of volunteer moderators. The club expects all volunteer moderators to have previous experience moderating at a tournament. If your school would like to volunteer a moderator, please email me the person's name, contact information, and a list of previous tournaments where they have moderated. Moderators are subject to club approval and may be rejected for any reason, including potential conflict of interest. Team coaches and assistant coaches are welcome to volunteer to moderate; the club may be able to avoid conflict of interests with the schedule.

To register:

Email Matthew Johnston at johnstom at uci dot edu with the following information:

1. School name, address, and phone number.

2. Coaches' name(s) and contact information (especially preferred email addresses)

3. The number of teams you wish to register and any information concerning potential number of buzzers, moderators and/or scorekeepers.

At the current time, registration is limited to twelve (12) teams on a first come, first serve basis. We anticipate being able to raise this cap, and will endeavor to accommodate as many teams as want to play, but we will not sacrifice tournament quality for additional teams (we will not raise the cap if this means that we experience a staff or buzzer shortage). Teams that register after the field is full will be placed on a waiting list. We will confirm your school's registration via email. Registration will close at 8 PM Pacific time on January 22, 2009.

Payment:

The club will accept either cash (exact amount please) or checks made out to "College Bowl Club -- ASUCI". If you wish to send your payment ahead of time, please email and we will send you the appropriate address.

There will be a $20 penalty/team for schools that pay after the tournament date without previously contacting us.

There will be a $15 penalty/team for schools that withdraw a team after the registration deadline.

Questions: Every club, as part of the registration fee, will receive one set of the questions used at the tournament. Full question sets will not be given to teams who leave early.

Final notes:

The College Bowl Club will do what we can to ensure a high quality tournament.

If you have any questions, please email Matt at (johnstom at uci dot edu) or Dwight at (dpwynne at gmail dot com).

Otherwise, have a great day, and good luck to all teams. Have a wonderful winter break and holiday season, hope to see you in January.

Sincerely,

Matthew Johnston, Dwight Wynne

Tournament Directors – Baby Anteater XI (2010)

johnstom at uci dot edu
dpwynne at gmail dot com
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
LucasBrown
Lulu

Re: Baby Anteater XI (1/30/10) at UC Irvine

Post by LucasBrown »

cvdwightw wrote:The College Bowl Club at UC-Irvine will host Baby Anteater XI (2010), an unofficial NAQT High School tournament.
Does this mean that it does not qualify anybody for HSNCT?
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

LucasBrown wrote:
cvdwightw wrote:The College Bowl Club at UC-Irvine will host Baby Anteater XI (2010), an unofficial NAQT High School tournament.
Does this mean that it does not qualify anybody for HSNCT?
Because of the eligibility restrictions, I don't think so.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Donald is right. Last year's tournament did not qualify anyone due to the eligibility restrictions, so neither will this year's tournament. That said, my guess is that the winner of this tournament will be looked upon favorably for a wild-card spot.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

Hi everyone,

I am Matt the TD for Baby Anteater XI.

So far I have received information from 3 schools with a total of 6 teams, I will post a full field update and keep it current once I get a few more schools.

If you have any questions, ESPECIALLY about the eligibility of players, please do not hesitate to contact me
johnstom at uci dot edu.
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.
- Dan Quayle
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

Se below for full list...
Last edited by MattyJ on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

- Dan Quayle
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

Right now I have the following teams in for the event:

Rancho Bernardo A
Rancho Bernardo B
Brophy A
Brophy B
Dimond Bar A
Dimond Bar B
Tustin A
University A
University B
La Jolla A
La Jolla B
La Jolla C
Edison
Los Amigos

We have lots of buzzers committed and a few scorekeepers offered up as well.

However we now are in need of a few additional moderators, do any High Schools have coaches or experienced moderators available for this? Or are socal college players who see this and would happen to be free to come to UCI for this?
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

- Dan Quayle
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

RB is probably going to decrease its attendance from two teams to one.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

MattyJ wrote:However we now are in need of a few additional moderators, do any High Schools have coaches or experienced moderators available for this? Or are socal college players who see this and would happen to be free to come to UCI for this?
We are trying to raise our field size from 20 to 24 teams and can't do this without more moderators. Any help is extremely welcome.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

edit: I was going to volunteer to moderate, but I realized that I have plans for that evening, and might not be able to make it in time. So I'm out for this one, sorry!
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

jpn wrote:edit: I was going to volunteer to moderate, but I realized that I have plans for that evening, and might not be able to make it in time. So I'm out for this one, sorry!

No worries, we are almost up to our staffing goal with the help of some UCLA people.
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

- Dan Quayle
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Who from UCLA is helping staff? If they're driving from the campus area, I'll ask to get in their car and help too.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

dinoian wrote:Who from UCLA is helping staff? If they're driving from the campus area, I'll ask to get in their car and help too.

Ray Luno and Chris have said they are coming down, we would be glad to have you.

Please just email me when you are sure so I can put you on my list.
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

- Dan Quayle
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

Final List of teams:

Arcadia A
Arcadia B
Arcadia C
Beckman A
Beckman B
Brophy A
Brophy B
Brophy C
Dimond Bar A
Dimond Bar B
Edison A
Edison B
La Jolla A
La Jolla B
Los Amigos
North Hollywood A
North Hollywood B
Rancho Alamitos A
Rancho Alamitos B
Rancho Bernardo A
Tustin A
Tustin B
University A
University B

(List edited slightly due to a slip-up on my part, sorry to North Hollywood. And to fix another typo with Arcadia)
Last edited by MattyJ on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

- Dan Quayle
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

This looks like it'll be some good fun.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

That's a lot of teams for a California quizbowl event!

Good luck to everybody.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I sent an e-mail to Chris and he hasn't responded yet, so I probably won't be able to make it to read. Also, when I messaged Ray on facebook he said that he isn't going because of lab obligations.

Edit: If any L.A. area teams are willing to give me a ride from campus, I'd be willing to pitch in for gas money.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:That's a lot of teams for a California quizbowl event!

Good luck to everybody.

And this is with the restricted teams!
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

- Dan Quayle
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

dinoian wrote:I sent an e-mail to Chris and he hasn't responded yet, so I probably won't be able to make it to read. Also, when I messaged Ray on facebook he said that he isn't going because of lab obligations.

Edit: If any L.A. area teams are willing to give me a ride from campus, I'd be willing to pitch in for gas money.

If they bing you I will give them the moderator discount of 15 dollars, have you tried to contact North Hollywood?
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

- Dan Quayle
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

MattyJ wrote:
Dr. Isaac Yankem, DDS wrote:That's a lot of teams for a California quizbowl event!

Good luck to everybody.

If there are this many teams at a novice event, then theoretically there should be more at "regular" tournaments, right? Where are all the teams that go to novice tournaments when teams host "regular" tournaments?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

al3xWal3x wrote:
MattyJ wrote:

Good luck to everybody.

If there are this many teams at a novice event, then theoretically there should be more at "regular" tournaments, right? Where are all the teams that go to novice tournaments when teams host "regular" tournaments?
Maybe its a timing issue, that we just chanced upon a good date? Or it could be that teams new to/ do not often play NAQt feel this is OK to come to?

As long as the staff that say they are coming shows up, thats the problem with a small club and a big event.

It should be a good event, good luck to all!
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

- Dan Quayle
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'll try my luck with public transit and Amtrak; there's a train that gets into Irvine at 8:22, and another at 9:31. Would someone from Irvine be able to pick me up there? If not, would I be able to be reimbursed for taxi fare?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

dinoian wrote:I'll try my luck with public transit and Amtrak; there's a train that gets into Irvine at 8:22, and another at 9:31. Would someone from Irvine be able to pick me up there? If not, would I be able to be reimbursed for taxi fare?

While I applaud your efforts to help, Amtrak to Irvine is not a very pleasant trip.

Thanks for the offer but we should be ok without you, save the effort for when a school really does need the help.
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

- Dan Quayle
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

On the final teams list, it only lists 2 Arcadia teams...
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

hmm thats odd and I have an extra Diamond Bar up there as well, don't worry I have 3 Arcadia teams in the official brackets I just made up.
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

- Dan Quayle
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Prelim statistics can be found at http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings.

We split into 2 playoff brackets of 6 and 2 brackets of 5. We broke within-prelim-bracket ties by PPG and between-prelim-bracket ties by Bonus Conversion.

Live playoff stats can be found at http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings and combined stats can be found at http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

Thank You to all teams for coming out to our event!

Despite the late start and confusion over the byes in 2 of the brackets, I believe it was quite successful. There were quite a few very good, hotly contested games played.

I look forward to seeing all of the players only get better, and schools who don't play on the socal quiz bowl circuit often joining in on more events. This was one of the largest events I have seen at a socal college run tournament and I hope we can continue this trend.
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

- Dan Quayle