Penn Bowl Mirror at Northwestern held on 01/30/2010

Old college threads.
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Penn Bowl Mirror at Northwestern held on 01/30/2010

Post by indiaisasubcontinent7 »

Northwestern University is proud to announce that it will be mirroring Penn Bowl 2010.

As usual, this is a packet submission tournament. As of now, Chris White, Sid Chandrasekhar, and Medhi Razvi will be co-editing the set with Eric Mukherjee overseeing the process and adding input where necessary. The target difficulty will be regular difficulty. See Penn Bowl 2009, TIT 2009, or ACF Winter 2008 for examples of our target difficulty.

Distribution:
Please note this is slightly different from the usual ACF distribution.
5/5 Literature--1/1 British, 1/1 European 500 CE onwards, 1/1 American, 1/1 World (includes classical), 1/1 Your Choice
5/5 History--1/1 US, 1/1 World, 2/2 European, Canadian, Australian (should include 1 classical and no more than 1 Canadian or Australian), 1/1 Your Choice
5/5 Science--1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1 question Math/CS, 1 question Earth Sci/Astro, 1/1 Your Choice
3/3 Religion, Mythology and Philosophy--1/1 of each; should be different religions, mythologies, and philosophy time periods
3/3 Fine Arts--1/1 non-opera classical music, 1/1 painting, 1/1 other (opera, jazz, architecture, etc.)
2/2 Social science, geography--should include at least 1 question from each category (e.g. 2/1 ss, 0/1 geo or 1/1 ss, 1/1 geo but not 2/2 ss)
1/1 Trash, current events
Total: 24/24

If any clarification needs to be made on any of these, please e-mail [email protected] or post in this thread.

Packets and Deadlines:
If anyone on a given team played a collegiate tournament before September 1, 2008, then that entire team is required to submit a packet. High schoolers are exempt from this rule, but can still submit packets for the discounts. All rules regarding packet submission are pretty much consistent with ACF, so see http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/packe ... p#required for more details. Please e-mail me if you have any questions. The following are applicable deadlines (by midnight EST on the given date) with all fees added/subtracted from overall registration fees:

Packet by December 5: -$50
Packet by December 19: -$25
Packet by January 3: +$0
Packet by January 10: +$25
Packet by January 17: +$50
At the discretion of the editors, any team that was required to submit a packet but does not do so by the final deadline will be dropped from the tournament, granted some daily fee to submit a late packet, or charged some exorbitant fee to play without submitting a packet. Again, not submitting a packet by January 17 runs a significant risk of being dropped from the tournament.

Registration fees and other discounts:
Base fee per team: $120
Functional buzzers: -$10 each
Competent moderators: -$15 each
Travel: -$15 per 200 miles (determined by Mapquest)

Minimum fee per school (including packet discounts): $40

Any high school teams or teams with fewer than 3 players can e-mail me at [email protected] to arrange for further discounts.

This will be updated once I am certain we have the rooms. It will likely be in the Norris/Kresge buildings, but once the field fills out, I'll have a more definitive answer.

Field update:
This space is reserved for field updates.

You can post any general questions about any of the above in this thread or send them to [email protected]. Posting general interest in this thread is encouraged, but official registrations should be made by e-mail to both [email protected] and [email protected], so I can have a contact for you. Otherwise that's all I have for now.

Yes, this was pretty much copied and pasted from the original Penn Bowl Announcement, but it was done so with permission.

-Anant Shah
Last edited by indiaisasubcontinent7 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anant Shah
President, Northwestern Quizbowl
WCAS '12
marnold
Tidus

Re: Penn Bowl Mirror at Northwestern (probably held on 1/30/10)

Post by marnold »

Any indication of what the field looks like for this? Chicago will have at least 4 teams, probably 5.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

Michigan will probably have 3-4 - I'll email with an exact figure once we've got it.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

I believe Minnesota is planning on sending 2+ teams to this.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

Pending further information, Illinois will have 2 teams.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Notre Dame is sending two teams, with an outside shot at a third.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

UIC will send one team to this Penn Bowl mirror. Should a mirror of Penn Bowl trash materialize here as well, you can count on one team, too.

Relieved to be rid of 2009 imminently,
Rom
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Right now, there are somewhere between 15-17 teams signed up for this tournament depending on how many teams each school brings.

I can still accept more teams.

Also, at this point, it looks like I may need a few moderators, so if anyone is available, that'd be great.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Penn Bowl Mirror at Northwestern held on 01/30/2010

Post by Cheynem »

Will Penn Bowl Trash definitely be mirrored on Sunday? I'd like a general answer so I know whether or not to buy a Megabus ticket for Saturday night.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Cheynem wrote:Will Penn Bowl Trash definitely be mirrored on Sunday? I'd like a general answer so I know whether or not to buy a Megabus ticket for Saturday night.
I'd like to know this as well (for travel arrangements and what not).
Charles Martin Jr.
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

The UPenn team has not contacted me about hosting a mirror on Sunday. Therefore, as of now, no trash mirror will be happening at Northwestern's Penn Bowl mirror. However, this could change if the UPenn team contacts me about a trash mirror.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

As of now, it appears that Penn Bowl will take place in the Kresge and Parkes buildings on campus. The two buildings are a brief walk from one another, and should not cause significant time delays.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
Papa's in the House
Tidus

indiaisasubcontinent7 wrote:The UPenn team has not contacted me about hosting a mirror on Sunday. Therefore, as of now, no trash mirror will be happening at Northwestern's Penn Bowl mirror. However, this could change if the UPenn team contacts me about a trash mirror.
If you look in the trash forum, specifically the thread for Penn Bowl Trash II, you will see the following:
Jamnman23 wrote: We are also accepting bids for mirrors of this tournament. If you are interested in running a mirror or submitting a freelance packet, email me at [email protected]. Additionally, if you have any questions, feel free to send me an email or just post in the thread. Information on day-of-tournament logistics will come later as soon as I have that specific info for you.
... which, to me, indicates that you would need to contact them. Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, though...
Charles Martin Jr.
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

starwarsguy6 wrote:
indiaisasubcontinent7 wrote:The UPenn team has not contacted me about hosting a mirror on Sunday. Therefore, as of now, no trash mirror will be happening at Northwestern's Penn Bowl mirror. However, this could change if the UPenn team contacts me about a trash mirror.
If you look in the trash forum, specifically the thread for Penn Bowl Trash II, you will see the following:
Jamnman23 wrote: We are also accepting bids for mirrors of this tournament. If you are interested in running a mirror or submitting a freelance packet, email me at [email protected]. Additionally, if you have any questions, feel free to send me an email or just post in the thread. Information on day-of-tournament logistics will come later as soon as I have that specific info for you.
... which, to me, indicates that you would need to contact them. Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, though...
It seems that you are right, but I don't think that we will be able to host the trash tournament due to NU team members having prior commitments.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
Papa's in the House
Tidus

If you check the TRASH forum, it appears that there is significant interest for NU to mirror the TIDUS (son of JECHT) set Saturday night (I would normally just link the URL, but it's more difficult to do on an iPhone than on a computer).
Charles Martin Jr.
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

starwarsguy6 wrote:If you check the TRASH forum, it appears that there is significant interest for NU to mirror the TIDUS (son of JECHT) set Saturday night (I would normally just link the URL, but it's more difficult to do on an iPhone than on a computer).
I just saw it, and I have commented. The tournament will now, in all likelyhood, happen on Saturday after regular Penn Bowl, and I'll need help to staff it.

Go to the other forum for a much more detailed answer.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

Carleton is interested in sending a team or two to this site. I'll e-mail more specific information once we figure out who's actually interested in attending.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Hey all, here's a field update. Those schools hare haven't confirmed the number of teams (e.g. U Chicago) that are coming, please tell me so that I can make sure to get the proper number of rooms.

U Chicago 5
Michigan 3
MN 3
ND 3
UIC 1
Illinois 2
Carleton 1

This adds to 17-20 teams. As of now, I only have rooms for 18 teams reserved, so please give me a heads up.
Last edited by indiaisasubcontinent7 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

We will have 5.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Papa's in the House
Tidus

indiaisasubcontinent7 wrote: This adds to 17-20 teams. As of now, I only have rooms for 18 teams reserved, so please give me a heads up.
Does that include the main room (i.e., where we meet at the beginning of the day, where the statskeeper normally stays throughout the day, etc.)? If not, it looks like the statskeeper will have to put up with some noise while they are entering stats.
Charles Martin Jr.
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

We have 2-3, with 2 more likely. How soon do you need a number for sure?
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

starwarsguy6 wrote:
indiaisasubcontinent7 wrote: This adds to 17-20 teams. As of now, I only have rooms for 18 teams reserved, so please give me a heads up.
Does that include the main room (i.e., where we meet at the beginning of the day, where the statskeeper normally stays throughout the day, etc.)? If not, it looks like the statskeeper will have to put up with some noise while they are entering stats.
I mean, that was always the back up plan, but if it could be avoided, that'd be the optimal situation.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

squareroot165 wrote:We have 2-3, with 2 more likely. How soon do you need a number for sure?
If you could get me a number by early next week at the latest, that'd be great.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
Rikku

Ok, we'll make sure to have a number by then. We also have four players and two mods for TIDUS if it happens.
Michael Hausinger
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Tidus has been confirmed. Everyone get ready for some trash.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

indiaisasubcontinent7 wrote:Hey all, here's a field update. Those schools hare haven't confirmed the number of teams (e.g. U Chicago) that are coming, please tell me so that I can make sure to get the proper number of rooms.

U Chicago 5
Michigan 3
MN 3
ND 3
UIC 1
Illinois 2
Carleton 1

This adds to 18 teams.
The field above is the final field (I have now closed registration). Also, I have forgotten to mention that Northwestern has no completely functioning buzzer system, so if teams could bring some, that'd be good. So far, Michigan has said it is bringing 2, and Carleton can bring up to 3. I'll need 4 more lockout systems. Thanks.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

indiaisasubcontinent7 wrote:
indiaisasubcontinent7 wrote:Hey all, here's a field update. Those schools hare haven't confirmed the number of teams (e.g. U Chicago) that are coming, please tell me so that I can make sure to get the proper number of rooms.

U Chicago 5
Michigan 3
MN 3
ND 3
UIC 1
Illinois 2
Carleton 1

This adds to 18 teams.
The field above is the final field (I have now closed registration). Also, I have forgotten to mention that Northwestern has no completely functioning buzzer system, so if teams could bring some, that'd be good. So far, Michigan has said it is bringing 2, and Carleton can bring up to 3. I'll need 4 more lockout systems. Thanks.
We are definitely bringing one.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

indiaisasubcontinent7 wrote:

U Chicago 5
Michigan 3
MN 3
ND 3
UIC 1
Illinois 2
Carleton 1

This adds to 18 teams.
We'll bring one, and that will stay around for TIDUS.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

We can bring two or more.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

At this point, I have 9 buzzers for 18 teams, and that should be enough, assuming one doesn't fail.

Rob, if the U could bring like 3-4 buzzers, that'd be great.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

We have two which we'll bring.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion

indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

marnold wrote:We have two which we'll bring.
Ok, great. At this point, Rob, you don't need to bring more than 2 buzzers. Thanks for promptness everyone.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

So apparently two of our buzzers aren't back from the shop yet like they were hopefully going to be. I can still guarantee the buzzer sitting in my room, but the other two may or may not be fixed by Friday.
Carsten Gehring
Rikku

We can bring a third one.
Michael Hausinger
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

That sounds good.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Field update:

U Chicago 5
Michigan 3
MN 3
ND 2
UIC 1
Illinois 2
Carleton 1

Total: 17

The field is closed at this point unless one of these teams can make another team for a total of 18 teams.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

In which room and building will the opening meeting be held? Also, can you suggest any good places to park near said building?
Carsten Gehring
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

OctagonJoe wrote:In which room and building will the opening meeting be held? Also, can you suggest any good places to park near said building?
Based on a facebook message I just received, everyone's to go to the Kresge building at 8:30. (This could just be staffers, though. I don't know.)
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Tournament central is Kresge 2-380. Check in will happen there. Check in will last from 830-915, and match play will start by 930.

http://maps.northwestern.edu/#latlngz=4 ... &showlist= will take you to a campus map. Everyone will want to park in the Locy Lot as that is the closest one to Kresge. If there are any more questions, please let me know.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Is Penn Bowl an open? One of my three UIC teammates has to work this Saturday morning, but I just received an offer from a graduate from another college. The 17 teams entered here are all homogeneous, and the 25-27 teams entered at Penn Bowl itself appear to be unmixed. I could only find one field update for mirrors at TSU, ULL, and UW. Is there any free parking on Saturdays at Northwestern?

Get the Wildcats into March Madness,
Rom
Rom Masrour
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Your grad student should be fine.

If you park in the parking lot, you should have free parking.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

To whom should I write my check?
Do you need any more laptops?
Can you recommend a lunch destination?
Here are the addresses for GPS, etc.:
Kresge Centennial Hall, 1880 Campus Drive, Evanston, IL 60208
Locy Lot, 1850 Campus Drive, Evanston, IL 60208
http://www.northwestern.edu says, "permits allowed: visitor, faculty/staff"

Missing my Tiger after exactly one year,
Rom
Rom Masrour
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Checks should be made out to NU quizbowl. As for lunch, it can be had in downtown Evanston or at the student union. I would recommend going downtown as there are many different restaurants at which you might enjoy eating. I personally am not a big fan of any of the restaurants except for Chipotle.

As for laptops, we should be fine.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
pbr
Kimahri

Post by pbr »

Any results yet?
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

This tournament happened.

There were 16 teams and the prelims, divided into 2 brackets of 8. Chicago A and Illinois A cleared their respective brackets.

The playoffs were split into a 5-5-6 configuration in order to deal with the constraint of non-blind packets. Chicago A cleared the field in the top bracket, and Illinois A and Minnesota B both went 3-2.

Chicago A thus won the tournament, will Illinois A coming in second.

A good time was had by all. Thanks to NU for hosting this tournament.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Someone actually on the team could correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Chicago B also finished 3-2 in the top bracket.

EDIT: and by 3-2 I mean 2-2. Unless you count the buy as a win. Which doesn't make sense. So 2-2.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion

Papa's in the House
Tidus

And since they're available, here are the stats from Penn Bowl at Northwestern:

Prelims

Playoffs

TIDUS

Perhaps the Playoffs stats will deliver you all the juicy breakdowns (individual and team) of stats that the Prelims and TIDUS offer (soon).
Charles Martin Jr.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Finals game stats for TIDUS:

Team Micah:
Ike 0-1-0 10 pts
Micah 5-3-0 105 pts
Bryce 0-0-1 -5 pts
Mike 0-0-1 -5 pts

Team All Stars:
Adam 1-2-0 35 pts
Rob 2-2-1 45 pts
Trygve 0-1-0 10 pts
David 2-0-0 30 pts

Final: All Stars 120, Team Micah 105. The finals were decided on the last question, which Rob powered.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

starwarsguy6 wrote:And since they're available, here are the stats from Penn Bowl at Northwestern:

Prelims

Playoffs

TIDUS

Perhaps the Playoffs stats will deliver you all the juicy breakdowns (individual and team) of stats that the Prelims and TIDUS offer (soon).
Something is broken in the playoff stats. It looks like individual and team breakdowns are missing entirely.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Papa's in the House
Tidus

grapesmoker wrote:
starwarsguy6 wrote:And since they're available, here are the stats from Penn Bowl at Northwestern:

Prelims

Playoffs

TIDUS

Something is broken in the playoff stats. It looks like individual and team breakdowns are missing entirely.
I noticed that, hence my comment following the links. Not being from NU, I cannot fix this. Apparently the statskeeper was told(?) to only enter points obtained to determine team W-L.
Charles Martin Jr.