VHSL Results & Opinions

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Madoc
Lulu

VHSL Results & Opinions

Post by Madoc »

We had a thread similar to this last season, so I thought I would start one up again. How has district play been for the state thus far? I'm interested in seeing what schools are sticking out as we get to the half-way mark for the VHSL season.

Also, what does everyone think about the questions under the new writing system? I'm enjoying the removal of calculation questions from rounds one and three, and it seems that the questions are becoming slightly more arts-heavy. I've seen quite a few repeats, though, some even occurring within the same match. :neutral:

As for the Black Diamond District (A) results, things aren't much different than any other year, aside from Twin Valley showing some potential. Honaker faces off with them on January 4th, and it may be the biggest face-off in Region D. Other notables in Region D are Lee, Lebanon, and Gate City from the Clinch Mountain District, all fighting for the district championship and a shot at getting into regional play. Thomas Walker (6-0) and Twin Springs (5-1) are definitely coming out of the Cumberland District, but have yet to face off against each other (I think they match up on Jan. 11).

EDIT: I talked things over with Matt Weiner, and I must have been mistaken about the 'repeats in one match' scenario. They occurred in two consecutive matches, though. I would think that the repeats would be spaced out a little more, but I can see how it does assist teams slightly. If a team misses a question on a topic once, it should be tough to miss it again.

Oh, and John, I appreciate the compliments for the team. Blacksburg is amazing this year; I can definitely see them winning the AA State Championship.
Last edited by Madoc on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Perkins
Coach - Honaker High School 2015-2021
W&M 2014
sageorator
Lulu

Re: VHSL Results & Opinions

Post by sageorator »

It's fairly early, but things seem to be shaping up nicely.

We've run into a few repeats as well. Nothing as egregious as being in the same match, but the matches occurred on back-to-back nights. A couple of these included the same stock clues appearing in both appearances. This is the only real criticism I have however, as the questions have been so much better than in previous years. We still practice on the old questions occasionally and the difference can be enormous. Depth of knowledge is being rewarded and to my knowledge the better team has won every single match.

I can only really go by teams that I've seen this year.

Group A: From what I've heard George Mason seems to have reloaded, which is scary to think about. Radford is a mystery, as they lost quite a bit and we won't see them until January/February. Rappahannock was okay when we played them at Cave Spring, but they clearly missed AJ and it's hard to compare the formats. Honaker was very formidable when we played them and definitely should be one to watch out for.

Group AA: Surprisingly, we've seen most of the usual contenders in AA already. Charlottesville did decently at GSAC but isn't the same power as some years. New Kent seems to have put in the work to make it to states this year with a handful of nice performances, including beating Charlottesville at GSAC. Salem from our district is pretty good but are hard to figure out. They lost their captain from last year but Karl has improved quite a bit. However, they have some really odd knowledge gaps.

More later.
John Lavender-Stott
Blacksburg High School '10
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Please feel free to email me (dan at wxdan dot net) with details of any questions you have concerns about and we'll be glad to take a look at them.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
sageorator
Lulu

Post by sageorator »

Group AA continued: I believe that Salem beat Cave Spring earlier this year, they reported being 4-0 and Cave Spring was on their schedule, so they've already got a step up there. That being said, I have yet to see Cave Spring A at full strength. They did seem to struggle some at the Roanoke tournament, but came on strong at the end. Christiansburg is the surprise team to me. They were quite good at Cave Spring's tournament, giving us a scare for a while there. However, it their strength was their speed on the buzzer, so we'll see how that translates to the longer HSAPQ questions. We have also played William byrd and Hidden Valley and, well, they have some work to do. The only other team in AA that I've played personally is Bassett, who wasn't a bad team but seemed awfully reluctant to buzz-in. The other team that I recall playing in a tournament from AA this year was E.C. Glass, who did well at the Speedway Shootout.

Group AAA: I think that, obviously, Maggie Walker is far and away the best team in the state with TJ a solid #2. The interesting battle will be what happens behind them. Not knowing any results from VHSL I can only go from tournaments so far. The #3 team seems to fairly clearly, in my eyes, be Douglas Freeman. Kevin McCall is a good player and they could be very dangerous if he got some help. The next tier seems to be Langley and Ocean Lakes, although Ocean Lakes seemed to have some rather significant knowledge gaps. Clover Hill, as they've attended quite a few tournaments this year, and Woodson seem to be on the next level. Now, Woodson seems odd to me, as they had a fairly good PPB at TJIAT, but didn't seem to get that many tossups. The other teams in contention may be Marshall, Robinson, and Henrico, who have all done okay at tournaments this year. Warwick has also been up and down at tournaments.

I fully expect for teams to improve significantly after winter break, as they often do. There were three teams last year that beat us after us having beaten them earlier in the year, so you always have to watch out.

I would absolutely love to see VHSL results from around the state.

Charlie, your welcome, I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true. However, I wouldn't pencil us in quite yet. We still have a ton of work to do. My biggest fear is us getting stagnant or losing focus.
John Lavender-Stott
Blacksburg High School '10
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

Well, John, we certainly have the same concerns you do. Stagnation has hurt some of our teams in the past, so building knowledge and not peaking until region and (hopefully) the state championship are the goal. I'm always trying to keep the other players focused on the next milestone and pushing to the next level, so hopefully the team you saw a few months ago at Roanoke will be relatively weak compared to the team in February.

Going back to the questions, I think there's been a noticeable differentiation between the question sets in the directed round. Local teams are under the assumption that most of the questions in set 'A' are easier than those in set 'B', but we haven't noticed any particular pattern aside from the fact that one set does seem to be easier than the other. The first and third round questions are great, though; our quizmaster mentioned that they are slightly longer, but the way they're written certainly benefits the quizbowlers who have put in the time necessary to win matches against tough teams. That said, the difference is certainly noticeable between last year's questions and those of this year.

As for my predictions,

Group A: George Mason is always a factor. They were putting up 300+ points in the opening week of their district, so they're certainly capable. From their district results, they finished 15-0 and GM is averaging about 315ppg, so they've been playing fairly consistently the whole year. Their junior captain is beastly, as was mentioned in the thread AJ created a few months ago in the DC-Metro area. My bet is that GM and Rapp will come out for Regional Play. As for the rest of the state, I'll expect Radford to come out of the shadows and make it to state again, but as John said, they've probably lost quite a bit of their strength. Whether they've reloaded remains to be seen. Hopefully we'll get some district and regional scores (wink wink, Commissioner Campbell) from around the state so we can have a general idea. The other regions are usually a mystery, but I wouldn't be surprised to see West Point back again. As for Region D, our big match with Twin Valley is coming up in a few days, and I wouldn't be surprised if Twin Valley made it out of the region as well. Of course, their big numbers in the district are against teams who are not very competitive, so how they do against some higher-caliber teams will be interesting.

Group AA: With the departure of power-players like Chuhern and Kathryn in this group, some realignment could be going on. I'm still placing my bet on Blacksburg, though; this seems like their year if, as John said, they keep their priorities in line and don't falter down the stretch. Cave Spring is quite young, but they have a good crew that could be a contender if they're putting in the right amount of study. I'm not too familiar with other teams around Group AA, but I'd imagine Charlottesville will make a few waves.

Group AAA: Maggie Walker, Thomas Jefferson. Not much for me to say, aside from TJ not being as potent as they were in previous years, but I don't see too many other threats to them anyway. With Maggie Walker a top pick to win the national championship, I can't imagine that they wouldn't win the state championship as well.

Edited for updated-ness
Last edited by Madoc on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

I viewed some Bull Run District matches at George Mason in December, and I feel that Mason is nearly as strong as last year, if not as strong, and that any one of Clarke/Rapp/Strasburg/Manassas Park teams could take the 2nd spot come the district tournament. Clarke beat Rapp by 5 recently, Clarke is 9-4 (with upcoming matches against Mason and Strasburg,) and Rapp is 7-6 (with upcoming matches against Manassas Park and Strasburg). Mason is unsurprisingly undefeated. I don't know what the "official standings" are otherwise, but Manassas Park is 6-7 or 5-8 and Strasburg is probably 5-8 or 4-9, with Madison likely 0-13.

I do think that the 2nd/3rd match will probably come down to Rapp/Clarke, but the Bull Run District tournament has been unpredictable before, so anyone finishing second would not surprise me.

Thematic award of the year, however, goes to Manassas Park. They haven't been to regionals in recent memory (I don't know if they've actually ever been), and so they decided to wear camo shirts with the motto "We won't tank this year," proudly displayed. :w-hat:
A.J. Collins
President of the Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team, 2010-2011

Rappahannock County High School '09
Alabama '13

This is ALABAMA QUIZBOWL!
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

HHS_Charlie wrote: Going back to the questions, I think there's been a noticeable differentiation between the question sets in the directed round. Local teams are under the assumption that most of the questions in set 'A' are easier than those in set 'B', but we haven't noticed any particular pattern aside from the fact that one set does seem to be easier than the other.
The labeling of the directed round sets as "A" or "B" is randomly done by a computer. Any difference in difficulty is a coincidence and there should not be a pattern from one round to the next.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

The Midnight Rider wrote:
HHS_Charlie wrote: Going back to the questions, I think there's been a noticeable differentiation between the question sets in the directed round. Local teams are under the assumption that most of the questions in set 'A' are easier than those in set 'B', but we haven't noticed any particular pattern aside from the fact that one set does seem to be easier than the other.
The labeling of the directed round sets as "A" or "B" is randomly done by a computer. Any difference in difficulty is a coincidence and there should not be a pattern from one round to the next.
Duly noted. I really haven't noticed a difference between the sets, but obviously any assumptions that other teams make are probably due in part to getting a set that falls into their general area of knowledge.

In other news, this snow has been wreaking havoc on our district schedule. Not only did the other teams in our district reschedule our pre-Christmas matches with them for no apparent reason, but several of the games we were supposed to play in the past couple of weeks have been rescheduled as well, so now we're struggling to get matches played in the week just before the district tournament. Has anyone else been running into similar problems?
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Colonial District Tournament Happened today on rounds of 12 TU periods and 8 part directed rounds, making games only out of 400 points. Things seemed to go over well. Patrick Henry for a team that go thrown together this week acquitted itself nicely and should be commended as such.

Round 1
JR Tucker 155 Hermitage 120
Maggie Walker 290 Freeman 100
M Godwin 230 Patrick Henry 100
Deep Run BYE

Round 2
JR Tucker 40 Maggie Walker 325
Deep Run 105 Mills Godwin 135
Freeman 320 Patrick Henry 35
Hermitage BYE

Round 3
Maggie Walker 285 Mills Godwin 100
Hermitage 155 Deep Run 170
JR Tucker 70 Freeman 280
Patrick Henry BYE

Round 4
JR Tucker 65 Mills Godwin 175
Deep Run 180 Patrick Henry 90
Hermitage 85 Freeman 210
Maggie Walker BYE

Round 5
Deep Run 80 Freeman 280
Hermitage 80 Maggie Walker 305
patrick Henry 90 JR Tucker 160
Mills Godwin BYE

Round 6
Deep Run 40 Maggie Walker 295
Hermitage 120 Patrick Henry 70
Freeman 205 Godwin 75
JR Tucker BYE

Round 7
Patrick Henry 50 Maggie Walker 295
Deep Run 170 JR Tucker 115
Hermitage 175 Godwin 150
Freeman BYE
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Bananaquit
Lulu

Post by Bananaquit »

In fact, against Tucker Maggie Walker scored 325 points, and against Deep Run we scored 295 points.

I was very pleased with the quality of the questions.
Greg Tito
Maggie Walker '10
William & Mary '14
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Bananaquit wrote:In fact, against Tucker Maggie Walker scored 325 points, and against Deep Run we scored 295 points.

I was very pleased with the quality of the questions.
These games were out of 400 possible points with the shortened rounds- how is that possible? If tucker scored 90 your maximum possible is 310.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Bananaquit
Lulu

Post by Bananaquit »

Tucker only scored 40.
Greg Tito
Maggie Walker '10
William & Mary '14
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

As predicted, Gov. School comes out swinging. In some of those matchups, they hit more than 80% of the questions-- extremely impressive.

Word on the street for Region D (A) is that Lee High School (Jonesville, VA) won the Clinch Mountain District Tournament. Lebanon High won the regular season, so Lee will be the #2 seed for the Region tournament. Thomas Walker played a double header with Twin Springs to determine the #1 Cumberland District seed, and they split, leaving Thomas Walker with a 7-1 record and Twin Springs 6-2.

Update-- We won twice against Twin Valley and finished up with two wins against Council, so we're confirmed as the #1 seed for the BDD at the Region D Tournament. The cast should be as follows:
1CMD. Lebanon High School
2CMD. Lee High School
1CD. Thomas Walker High School
2CD. Twin Springs High School
1BDD. Honaker High School
2BDD. To Be Determined-- District Tournament Saturday, January 23rd
Last edited by Madoc on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014
bottone#1
Lulu

Post by bottone#1 »

In Region A (A), Nandua (6-0) and Northampton (4-2) are advancing to the region tournament, out of the Eastern Shore District. I haven't heard anything about the other three districts in Region A, so I do not know who else is attending. Does anybody know anything about that?

Also, just as a trivial footnote, Nandua's current senior class is the winningest in district history, with a 24-0 record in district play, 4 straight district championships, and 1 region A championship.
Ethan Bottone
Captain
Nandua High School '10

Ha Ha Ha! Dewey, your decimal system has played right into my hands!
-Futurama
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

So Clover Hill went undefeated Wednesday to win the Dominion district, with cosby taking 2nd on a total points tie breaker.
Round 1
Cosby 180- Midlothian 195
James River 210 LC Bird 70

Round 2
Midlothian 120- Clover Hill 285
Cosby 220- James River 90

Round 3
Clover Hill 340 LC Bird 45
Midlothian 170 James River 180 (one of the most exciting VHSL games I have seen in a long time)

Round 4
James River 180 Clover Hill 260
LC Bird 50 Cosby 175

Round 5
Clover Hill 245 Cosby 175
LC Bird 75 Midlothian 285

Henrico wins the Capital District tournament with Atlee taking second place.

As I understand it this makes the Central Region Field:
  • Maggie Walker
  • Freeman
  • Henrico
  • Atlee
  • Clover Hill
  • Cosby
  • Thomas Dale
  • Colonial Heights
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

The Black Diamond District Tournament Results
January 23rd, 2010 at Honaker High School:

Round 1:
Haysi vs. Council, Council Wins 130--50
Twin Valley vs. Hurley, Twin Valley Wins 250--120
Honaker-- bye round

Round 2:
Honaker vs. Council, Honaker Wins 360--20
Haysi vs. Hurley, Hurley Wins 130--65, Haysi Eliminated
Twin Valley-- bye round

Round 3:
Twin Valley vs. Honaker, Honaker Wins 270--160
Hurley vs. Council, Hurley Wins 150--100, Council Eliminated

Round 4:

Twin Valley vs. Hurley, Twin Valley Wins 250--120, Hurley Eliminated
Honaker-- bye round

Finals:
Honaker vs. Twin Valley, Honaker Wins 250--195, Twin Valley Eliminated

Final Seedings:
1. Honaker (8-0 Regular Season, 3-0 Tournament, 11-0 Final)
2. Twin Valley (6-2 Regular Season, 2-2 Tournament, 8-4 Final)
3. Hurley (3-5 Regular Season, 2-2 Tournament, 5-7 Final)
4. Council (1-7 Regular Season, 1-2 Tournament, 2-9 Final)
5. Haysi (2-6 Regular Season, 0-2 Tournament, 2-8 Final)

Honaker(#1) and Twin Valley(#2) advance to the Region D Tournament at Honaker High School on February 13th, 2010. With that information in hand, the first round bracket can be drawn for the Region D Tournament as well.

With this win, Honaker has won the BDD Regular Season and/or District Tournament Thirteen years straight. Out of this, we've produced 5 Region D Championships and appeared at the VHSL State Tournament 7 Times. On the season, we currently have a VHSL record of 25-1, and we're 19-0 against Single-A Division teams.

The first round of the Region D Tournament will be as follows:
Twin Springs vs. Twin Valley
Thomas Walker-- Bye Round
Lebanon-- Bye Round
Honaker vs. Lee
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

bottone#1 wrote:In Region A (A), Nandua (6-0) and Northampton (4-2) are advancing to the region tournament, out of the Eastern Shore District. I haven't heard anything about the other three districts in Region A, so I do not know who else is attending. Does anybody know anything about that?
Franklin advanced to Region A from the Tri-Rivers District. Judging from the way my niece posted about it, they were probably the runner-ups; I don't know who else advanced.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
The Goffman Prophecies

Results gleaned so far from this forum and the VHSL Scholastic Bowl Facebook group. Can anyone else help fill in details?

Group A

Region A Saturday 1st: Nandua 2nd: Mathews
Eastern Shore 1st: Nandua 2nd: Northampton
Tidewater 1st: Mathews 2nd: West Point
Tri-Rivers 1st: Windsor 2nd: Franklin

Region B 1st: George Mason 2nd: Clarke
Bull Run 1st: George Mason 2nd: Clarke
Shenandoah 1st: Luray 2nd: Central-Woodstock

Region C 1st: Radford 2nd: Eastern Montgomery
Three Rivers 1st: Radford 2nd: Eastern Montgomery

Region D 1st: Honaker 2nd: Lebanon
Black Diamond 1st: Honaker 2nd: Twin Valley
Clinch Mountain 1st: Lebanon 2nd: Lee
Cumberland 1st: Thomas Walker 2nd: Twin Springs

Group AA

Region I 1st: New Kent 2nd: Poquoson
Battlefield 1st: James Monroe 2nd: Culpeper

Region II 1st: Charlottesville 2nd: Western Albemarle
Dulles 1st: Park View 2nd: Broad Run
Evergreen 1st: Faquier 2nd: Brentsville
Northwestern 1st: James Wood 2: Millbrook

Region III 1st: EC Glass 2nd: Harrisonburg
Blue Ridge 1st: William Byrd 2nd: Alleghany
Massanutten 1st: Harrisonburg 2nd: Spotswood
Seminole 1st: EC Glass 2nd: ?
Southern Valley 1st: Waynesboro 2nd: Rockbridge

Region IV 1st: Blacksburg 2nd: Tazewell
Piedmont 1st: Tunstall 2nd: Patrick County 3rd: ?
River Ridge 1st: Blacksburg 2nd: Cave Spring 3rd: Salem
Southwest 1st: Tazewell 2nd: Abingdon

Group AAA

Eastern Region 1st: Ocean Lakes 2nd: Maury
Beach 1st: Ocean Lakes 2nd: Bayside
Eastern 1st: Maury(?) 2nd: ?
Peninsula 1st: Warwick 2nd: ?

Central Region 1st: Maggie Walker 2nd: Douglas Freeman
Capital 1st: Henrico 2nd: Atlee
Central 1st: Thomas Dale 2nd: Colonial Heights
Colonial 1st: Maggie Walker 2nd: Douglas Freeman
Dominion 1st: Clover Hill 2nd: Cosby

Northern Region 1st: Thomas Jefferson 2nd: Langley
Concorde 1st: Robinson 2nd: ?
Liberty 1st: Thomas Jefferson 2nd: Langley
National 1st: ? 2nd: Washington-Lee
Patriot 1st: Woodson 2nd: ?

Northwest Region 1st: Massaponax 2nd: Osborn
Last edited by The Goffman Prophecies on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

This is what I remember of the AAA Northern Region tournament (all the district tournaments happened on this day too):

Concorde District
1st: Robinson
2nd: ?

Liberty District
1st: TJ
2nd: Langley

National District
1st: ?
2nd: Washington-Lee

Patriot District
1st: Woodson
2nd: ?

Overall region
1st: TJ
2nd: Langley
3rd: Woodson
4th: Robinson

As you can see, I don't remember many specifics; you can probably email the tournament director, Jeffrey Pandin, at JLPandin AT fcps DOT edu to request a more complete summary.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

River Ridge District Tournament (Region IV - AA)
January 27, 2010

* Seeding for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th had to be determined by coin flip due to a circle of death between Salem, Christiansburg and Cave Spring. Blacksburg came in undefeated on the season.

Round 1
1 Blacksburg BYE
2 Christiansburg BYE
4 Salem 330 v. 5 Pulaski 55
3 Cave Spring 270 v. Hidden Valley 105

Round 2
Blacksburg 280 v. Salem 185
Cave Spring 250 v. Christiansburg 175

Round 3
Salem 345 v. Hidden Valley 75 [Hidden Valley eliminated]
Christiansburg 380 v. Pulaski 45 [Pulaski eliminated]

Round 4
Blacksburg 355 v. Cave Spring 120
Salem 235 v. Christiansburg 205 [Christiansburg eliminated]

Round 5
Cave Spring 225 v. Salem 195 [Salem eliminated - finished 3rd] * Very good match to watch... we had an 85 pt lead going into the last round and Karl rallied his team to come within 10 pts at one moment in the round!

Round 6
Blacksburg 350 v. Cave Spring 125 [Cave Spring eliminated - finished 2nd]

Advancing to regional play in order of seeds: 1-Blacksburg, 2-Cave Spring, 3-Salem. Great teams and the match with Salem and Christiansburg was a great one to watch. Very, very close match. Karl (from Salem) is an excellent player and when he's on a roll, it's hard to stop him. Good news for Salem is that he is a junior. John & Co. were absolutely awesome to watch as they were just mopping the floor with the competition. I thought our district match when we came in 60 pts gave us some hope but after this evening, I'd be hard pressed to think of another team that could do what Blacksburg did. Unbelievable!
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
The Goffman Prophecies

Thanks, Bob. I've added in results for the Blue Ridge District as well.

Does the River Ridge send three teams to regionals instead of the usual two?
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

The Motley Eye wrote:Does the River Ridge send three teams to regionals instead of the usual two?
In years past, we've always advanced three teams to regionals from our district, as well as the Piedmont (I think) and the Southwest only advances 2 teams. I haven't heard of any rule change for this year that we're only advancing two but my AD said he was pretty sure that we do send three.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
FredCamp
Lulu

Post by FredCamp »

River Ridge always sends three -- no change this year. And I've never really understood why we send three. But, there it is.
Fred Campbell
VA Scholastic Bowl Commissioner
Charlie and Lolcat
Lulu

Post by Charlie and Lolcat »

I have found that Warwick won the AAA Peninsula District (Hampton & Newport News) title. Still looking for who is joining them at the Eastern Region meet.
Dave Porter
Douglas Freeman (2002-2005 as a player, 2006-2010 as staffer discount; 2010-2014 as volunteer consultant/assistant coach)
Freelance Trash player (2008-present)
Perennial VHSL Staffer (Conference 11 and Region 5A South)
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

In the Piedmont District, for Region IV, Tunstall and Patrick County advances. There's one other team that also advances but the Bassett AD wasn't sure which team it was.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
The Goffman Prophecies

The Bull Run District tournament in Region B was postponed from last weekend and is likely to be postponed again. Source
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

The Motley Eye wrote:The Bull Run District tournament in Region B was postponed from last weekend and is likely to be postponed again. Source
How will the other seed from the BRD be determined if the tournament isn't held this weekend? I guess it could be hosted on a day next week if the weather doesn't get too bad. Looks like the BRD is certainly getting into a bind.
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014
Eyre
Kimahri

Post by Eyre »

Does anyone know who is playing the region c tournament?
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

FredCamp wrote:River Ridge always sends three -- no change this year. And I've never really understood why we send three. But, there it is.
I think it's to ensure there's eight teams at regionals, since Region IV only has three districts.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
The Goffman Prophecies

Eyre wrote:Does anyone know who is playing the region c tournament?
I have results from the Three Rivers District above. The Mountain Empire doesn't usually send anyone. I haven't heard anything from the Pioneer or Hogoheegee Districts.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

I've been told by A.J. Collins that the Bull Run District is most likely going to send the top two seeds from the regular season to the Region B tournament and cancel the district tournament. That would mean that George Mason (1) and Clarke (2) advance to Region B.
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

I heard that Parry McCluer won the Pioneer; but I don't know who the 2nd Pioneer team is. Region C was scheduled for yesterday, but I imagine that it has been postponed due to the weather this weekend.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

HHS_Charlie wrote:I've been told by A.J. Collins that the Bull Run District is most likely going to send the top two seeds from the regular season to the Region B tournament and cancel the district tournament. That would mean that George Mason (1) and Clarke (2) advance to Region B.
Apparently they are doing a single elimination tournament on Tuesday (at Rapp?), and if that gets cancelled Wednesday (at Manassas Park?) and if that gets cancelled, then Mason and Clarke will advance.

http://www.masonathletics.org/index.cfm ... ws&id=4101
A.J. Collins

Alabama '13

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Region A tournament, which has been scheduled for yesterday, was postponed. By the way, the other team from Tri-Rivers (probably but not certainly the winner) was Windsor.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

jonpin wrote:Region A tournament, which has been scheduled for yesterday, was postponed. By the way, the other team from Tri-Rivers (probably but not certainly the winner) was Windsor.
I'm assuming it's been pushed back to this Saturday. It appears that there's more calls for snow this weekend as well, but I hope the tournaments can be set in motion before then. I'd hate a back-to-back Region-State tournament setup if we manage to qualify again this year. :neutral:

The Snow Wars rage on--and mother nature is doing very well on her February campaign. :sad:
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Ocean Lakes and Maury advance to states as per the VHSL twitter account.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

pretzeldude92 wrote:
HHS_Charlie wrote:I've been told by A.J. Collins that the Bull Run District is most likely going to send the top two seeds from the regular season to the Region B tournament and cancel the district tournament. That would mean that George Mason (1) and Clarke (2) advance to Region B.
Apparently they are doing a single elimination tournament on Tuesday (at Rapp?), and if that gets cancelled Wednesday (at Manassas Park?) and if that gets cancelled, then Mason and Clarke will advance.

http://www.masonathletics.org/index.cfm ... ws&id=4101
And so... this was cancelled.
Bull Run District:
1. Mason
2. Clarke
A.J. Collins

Alabama '13

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

The Central Region Tournament happened today. (Take that, snow!)

Maggie walker and Freeman advance to states.

Round 1
Freeman 275 Cosby 115
Gov 350 Clover Hill 100
Henrico 270 Colonial Heights 100
Atlee 115 Thomas Dale 120

Round 2
Gov 280 Henrico 150
Cosby 205 Thomas Dale 110
Clover Hill 230(?) Atlee 115
Colonial Heights 85 Freeman 330

Round 3
Thomas Dale 135 Colonial Heights 150
Clover Hill 225 Cosby 110
Freeman 125 Gov 315
Henrico 315 Atlee 95

Round 4
Cosby 210 Atlee 130
Henrico 145 Freeman 270
Gov 355 Thomas Dale 80
Colonial Heights 180 Clover Hill 220

Round 5
Freeman 225 Clover Hill 165
Atlee 175 Colonial Heights 185
Henrico 290 Thomas Dale 75
Cosby 35 Gov 350

Round 6
Clover Hill 290 Thomas Dale 130
Gov 375 Colonial Height 70
Freeman 275 Atlee 120
Henrico 265 Cosby 105

Round 7
Maggie Walker 360 Atlee 95
Clover Hill 205 Henrico 220
Colonial Heights 220 Cosby 160
Freeman 295 Thomas Dale 100
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Because of the low numbers of points for Gov (albeit it still isn't that low). Were the same 4 A team members playing at VHSL?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Lucy Lane wrote:Because of the low numbers of points for Gov (albeit it still isn't that low). Were the same 4 A team members playing at VHSL?
Greg, JR, and I played every round, with Eric Tyler and Stephen Roach alternating.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Lucy Lane wrote:Because of the low numbers of points for Gov (albeit it still isn't that low). Were the same 4 A team members playing at VHSL?
Barring the other team missing bonuses, there are only 400 points available in the VHSL format, so these scores are pretty good.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

A lot of these scores add up to over 400 though
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

Ondes Martenot wrote:A lot of these scores add up to over 400 though
There are 30 tossups worth 10 each. There are 10 directed bonuses for each team.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

vcuEvan wrote:
Barring the other team missing bonuses, there are only 400 points available in the VHSL format, so these scores are pretty good.
Yeah rereading this this is right. A team can get only 400 on its own but can get 500.
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
vcuEvan wrote:
Your are wrong. Directed round bounces back. 500 points possible.
I believe that's why he said "Barring the other team missing bonuses".
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

Honaker (1) and Lebanon (2) advance to the Group A State Tournament.

1. Honaker: 4-0 (wins against Lee, Thomas Walker, Lebanon 2x)
2. Lebanon: 2-2 (wins against Twin Valley 2x, two losses to Honaker)

3. Twin Valley: 3-2 (wins against Twin Springs, Lee, Thomas Walker, two losses to Lebanon)
4. Thomas Walker: 1-2 (win against Twin Springs, losses to Honaker and Twin Valley)
5. Twin Springs: 0-2 (losses to Twin Valley and Thomas Walker, avg 110 ppg)
6. Lee: 0-2 (losses to Honaker and Twin Valley, avg 100 ppg)
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014
bottone#1
Lulu

Post by bottone#1 »

Region A Tournament

3 schools didn't show because of the weather: Windsor, Franklin, Northampton

Round 1:
Northumberland BYE
Mathews BYE
Colonial Beach BYE
Nandua-230 West Point-150

Round 2:
Northumberland defeats Mathews
Nandua-205 Colonial Beach-195
West Point BYE

Round 3:
Nandua-230 Northumberland-160
Colonial Beach BYE
Mathews defeats West Point (West Point Eliminated)

Round 4:
Mathews-190 Colonial Beach-185 (Colonial Beach Eliminated)

Round 5:
Mathews-180 Northumberland-140 (Northumberland Eliminated)

Round 6:
Mathews-220 Nandua-165

Round 7:
Nandua-280 Mathews-150 (Mathews Eliminated)

Nandua(1) and Mathews(2) advance to A state tournament from Region A
Ethan Bottone
Captain
Nandua High School '10

Ha Ha Ha! Dewey, your decimal system has played right into my hands!
-Futurama
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

The FB group now states that Radford and Eastern Montgomery advanced from Region C, and E.C. Glass and Harrisonburg advanced from Region III.
A.J. Collins

Alabama '13

STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

The Motley Eye wrote:
Eyre wrote:Does anyone know who is playing the region c tournament?
I have results from the Three Rivers District above. The Mountain Empire doesn't usually send anyone. I haven't heard anything from the Pioneer or Hogoheegee Districts.
For a few years the Mountain Empire was "represented" by Galax, who just faxed the forms in and advanced to Regionals as the only team that played Scholastic Bowl. They don't bother to do that anymore.

The Lonesome Pine also gave up sending teams to Region D a couple years ago.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

STPickrell wrote:
The Lonesome Pine also gave up sending teams to Region D a couple years ago.
And yet the Black Diamond, Cumberland, and Clinch Mountain districts only send two teams a piece. I think most of the LPD plays PACE.
Charlie Perkins
W&M 2014