Florida Tournaments ?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
hardeecoach
Lulu

Florida Tournaments ?

Post by hardeecoach »

Are there any upcoming tournaments in Florida (other than UF)? So far, our entire fall season line-up has been cancelled by hurricanes. UF will be our first tournament for the year!
quizbowlmike
Lulu

Post by quizbowlmike »

seeing as there are very few people from FL that regularly post, I'll add what i know.

There have been a couple of FL tournaments so far this year and at least one that was exclusively high school--Taylor's Fall Brawl. I've heard the University of West FL is trying to get a tournament together, but I have not heard a date yet. Vanguard will most likely be hosting it's normal spring NAQT tournament. Taylor will surely have it's spring tournament, and we will of course have our spring tournament (NAQT state championship) in March. PACE Nationals is in FL this year so if Hardee does well, or if they just want to ask for an at large bid, you can most likely take a team to that, but that's a ways off. Hopefully, some other schools will have tournament announcements at UF in a few weeks. If you get desperate for some playing time for your team, there is the possibility of playing in our college tournament. Taylor county has had teams compete in our MLK weekend tournament and the unofficial Martin team was there was well last year. I believe Pensacola (or some north western school) usually host a tournament in the spring as well. Ransom probably wont have their usual tournament because word on the street is Mr. Weiser is no longer the coach there. And as far as the Monteverde tournament, you'd have to ask Roger Ross, I dont know if that happened this year already or not, but I believe they will be at UF in two weeks.

I doubt there will be any other FL tournaments this fall though :-(

The only other suggestion I'd have would be to go out of state. Dorman always puts on a good tournament. Last year it was at the end of January. Savannah Day usually has an NAQT tournament in the spring, but that pack is usually the same as the one used at Vanguard. Generally, there are lots of tournaments in Georgia in the spring as well, but I dont know of any others off hand. UGA will probably have one, I think Berry sometimes has one as well.

And a little update to UF's Fall tournament, I believe the latest number is 63 teams registered so far, from Florida and Georgia.
UGAQuizdogs
Lulu

Post by UGAQuizdogs »

quizbowlmike wrote:
Generally, there are lots of tournaments in Georgia in the spring as well, but I dont know of any others off hand. UGA will probably have one, I think.
Mike is right, UGA is hosting a HS tournament in January, the Bulldog Brawl. If you're interested, email me at [email protected] and I'll send you the info.

We had a couple of FL schools show up last year (Montverde was one), but we'd love to have more!

Robin
UGA CBAT
Agent Smith
Lulu

Post by Agent Smith »

quizbowlmike wrote:seeing as there are very few people from FL that regularly post, I'll add what i know.

There have been a couple of FL tournaments so far this year and at least one that was exclusively high school--Taylor's Fall Brawl. I've heard the University of West FL is trying to get a tournament together, but I have not heard a date yet. Vanguard will most likely be hosting it's normal spring NAQT tournament. Taylor will surely have it's spring tournament, and we will of course have our spring tournament (NAQT state championship) in March. PACE Nationals is in FL this year so if Hardee does well, or if they just want to ask for an at large bid, you can most likely take a team to that, but that's a ways off. Hopefully, some other schools will have tournament announcements at UF in a few weeks. If you get desperate for some playing time for your team, there is the possibility of playing in our college tournament. Taylor county has had teams compete in our MLK weekend tournament and the unofficial Martin team was there was well last year. I believe Pensacola (or some north western school) usually host a tournament in the spring as well. Ransom probably wont have their usual tournament because word on the street is Mr. Weiser is no longer the coach there. And as far as the Monteverde tournament, you'd have to ask Roger Ross, I dont know if that happened this year already or not, but I believe they will be at UF in two weeks.

I doubt there will be any other FL tournaments this fall though :-(

The only other suggestion I'd have would be to go out of state. Dorman always puts on a good tournament. Last year it was at the end of January. Savannah Day usually has an NAQT tournament in the spring, but that pack is usually the same as the one used at Vanguard. Generally, there are lots of tournaments in Georgia in the spring as well, but I dont know of any others off hand. UGA will probably have one, I think Berry sometimes has one as well.

And a little update to UF's Fall tournament, I believe the latest number is 63 teams registered so far, from Florida and Georgia.
Umm... Fall Brawl was cancelled due to lack of interest. We were one of the few teams that actually registered.
quizbowlmike
Lulu

Post by quizbowlmike »

I was under the impression that Fall Brawl took place, I had friends that read for it. At least so they said, I guess it's possible that they decieved us all just to travel to exotic Perry, FL for the weekend... i hear Perry has a Walmart now.
SPIRITdrummer6
Lulu

Post by SPIRITdrummer6 »

Yeah, Fall Brawl was cancelled due to lack of interest and other things, no thanks to hurricanes... and yes, we do have a Wal-Mart!!! Muahahahaa....

Anyway, we're (Taylor) planning on still hosting our annual Spring tournament and also, since we cancelled fall brawl somewhat prematurely, we're going to host a TRASH tournament for HS and Junior Colleges (maybe) and we'll also host a pre-CAC tournament because EVERYONE loves CAC right? I'm sure quizbowlmike can back me on that one. The only tournament we've been to is NFCC's annual tournament. It's an 'ok' tournament.. considering there was college level Calculus II questions... joy. And not to mention the 1 line question format. Taylor is also going to attend Savannah Country Day's tournament. I still need to get in contact with Byron.

About PACE, it's supposed to be held at Valencia CC and Taylor is interested in attending but we don't know how to do it exactly. Care to fill in the blanks quizbowlmike?
Gerard Massey
Capt. of TCHS Quizbowl Team
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

SPIRITdrummer6 wrote: The only tournament we've been to is NFCC's annual tournament. It's an 'ok' tournament.. considering there was college level Calculus II questions... joy. And not to mention the 1 line question format.
I presume that's North Florida CC, in lovely Madison, Florida. This isn't all that relevant to the thread, but when is this tournament held? What kind of registration fee (if any) do they charge? Do you know where the questions come from? Just wondering.

--Raj Dhuwalia
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
SPIRITdrummer6
Lulu

Post by SPIRITdrummer6 »

Yes, it is North Florida CC. The tournament is usually held sometime in late October-Early November. The guy who used to do it moved schools so there was a bit of confusion until someone else picked it up. I'm not sure how much the tourny is and where the questions come from. It would be nice to know where they come from because they are crap questions. Not to mention the large overhaul of math questions in the rounds. Each round averaged around 8 math questions; the thing is, they're not easy questions you can solve quickly. As aforementioned, a lot of the questions were Calc I and II.
Gerard Massey
quizbowlmike
Lulu

Post by quizbowlmike »

As for going to PACE, generally you have to qualify, which if you do well at our fall tournament this weekend, you will do that. Otherwise, you'd have to ask Dr. Chuck for an at large bid. And of course the entry fee is something like $400 with discounts available. I'll give you the info next weekend if you want, you'll be at UF right?
SPIRITdrummer6
Lulu

Post by SPIRITdrummer6 »

Yeah, I'll be at UF this weekend. The info would be great.
Gerard Massey
UFeng
Lulu

Post by UFeng »

In the Spring, UF will be holding the NAQT Florida State Championship on March 12th. There'll be more info on that in the Spring.

Also as previously mentioned, we've had HS teams do well at SSI our collegeiate tournament on MLK weekend. If you're at UF this weekend and interested, feel free to ask me for info.
jhalehvismusique
Kimahri

Post by jhalehvismusique »

Pensacola will (most likely) be holding a spring tourney, and we need as many good teams as possible. We already have commitment from OWC, and we are currently trying to compile more contact lists as our director from 2 years ago graduated. Date is not set yet; we are awaiting schedules for other tournaments in the spring. More info when available :)