Ohio Quizbowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
solonqb
Rikku

Ohio Quizbowl

Post by solonqb »

Jumping on the [insert state here] quizbowl team thread bandwagon....

How do you guys feel Ohio teams stand nationally with respect to potential, ability and prestige? Which do you think are the all-but-uncrowned champions? The underdogs? The lovable losers? I'd just like to see some Ohio related discussion out in the open instead of in (relatively) inaccessible Yahoo groups like qtcentral.

And you don't have to be from Ohio to give your opinion.

I personally think Garfield Heights and Copley will go 1-2 at States this year. My $0.02.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
BobGHHS
Rikku

Wow...

Post by BobGHHS »

Thanks for the confidence in my guys Noah... nationally I think you guys should be in the top 20. I don't think any other team from Ohio can compete with you in a toss-up/bonus format, be it NAQT or not. The state is extremely down this year, and you guys are killer in that format. In OAC however, there's a lot of different teams that can make a run... I hope my guys can get down there this year, but again, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE Northeast region.... so many factors, like drawing Aurora in the 1st round last year with our captain in Florida....

It's all going to be on luck of the draw and how early we hit teams like Copley, you guys, Orange, Revere.... we're better than all besides Copley in OAC, but we have a tendency to be choke artists, so we'll see what happens.

Good luck at BG this weekend, we unfortunately won't be there... but I hope you shut Joel up again.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

Teams I expect to very strong this year:
Copley (always good)
Garfield Heights (returns last's year team)
Solon (noah)
Findlay (impressive at our tournament)
Fisher Catholic (impressive at our tournament)
St. Charles (always good, but seems like a down year)

These teams should all do well and most will make it to state.
I do not care much for large yellow Avians.
jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

You know, I think the tournament at Turpin on January 8th will go some distance in sorting out who the best are in the state. There will be several traditional powerhouse teams in attendance and a few who are up and coming.

I am not going to tout or predict any winners. At least, not until after I see everyone at Turpin. I intend to see every program of note in Ohio play by the time Buzzerpalooza rolls around, in late January.

Regardless of perceptions, you have to settle it at the buzzers.

By the way, Bob, I completely disagree that the state is down this year. In fact, I think Ohio teams will do better than ever in just about any format you can name, including NAQT and other tossup-bonus styles. I do predict that our state champion will finish top-five at Panasonic, which isn't a stretch since we do well down there almost every year.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Hmmm...

Post by BobGHHS »

We'll find out... you travel much more than we do, so I'll take your word for it. Those teams are the usual powerhouses, but I tell ya what... if Zach is as good as advertised, you guys can beat Copley... we already did once (even though we're 1-5 against them)... they're fast, but honestly, they don't know nearly as much as they usually do.

I'm glad to see other formats infiltrating the state... I personally do not like OAC one bit, and I'm glad your tournament is NAQT, as is Noah's at Solon and now NAQT states have finally been brought into the state.

I do not know the status of our tournament until the building permit is returned, after all the red-tape I had to go through. I got your email on my other account and you and Mike from North Olmsted will receive the first email about my tournament should I be allowed to host it.

Good luck to everyone competing at BG.

Bob
Bob Kilner

jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

The Bowling Green tournament was certainly fun today. Tippecanoe finished second to DCC (Sorry, Noah), which makes it the second time this year they've beaten us in a final match. We managed to get close wins over Solon, Sylvania Northview and North Olmstead throughout the day. Zach played well, but he had help from the other varsity members. (cool)

Lots of great sportsmanship and some Ohio schools who are already geared up and looking good. :)

Its good to see the BG guys back in the tournament biz - they ran a nice event today. Too bad we didn't see some other Ohio powerhouses! Where was Copley, Fisher Catholic or Garfield Hts, or even Orange? Tipp has yet to play any of those teams this year, and my boys are looking forward to it. Of course, if its not OAC format, we probably won't ever see Copley, since they're so enamored with that style. I'm with you, Bob, in that I strongly dislike OAC.

No big events on the schedule for a while. Turpin is our next biggie. Maybe Noah and his crew will take down DCC at UMich in a couple of weeks - we'll see!
DCCHelmet
Lulu

yikes! lots of DCC hate here

Post by DCCHelmet »

altho there is a lot around here about taking down Noah and his crew, i guess the feeling's mutual...

BGSU had a nice little event, certainly can't complain about the high volume of sports questions asked...

I would like to extend my regards to Tippecanoe and Solon, you two teams have played us great in two tournaments now and have really good teams. Good luck on winning Ohio and perhaps we'll see you once again before the season ends.
BobGHHS
Rikku

DCC

Post by BobGHHS »

Hey DCC guy, congratulations on winning at BGSU. Everyone should be at Buzzerpalooza and Great Lakes, both at Case in January and March, so it'll make for some good competition.

We couldn't make it out to BG, even though one of our former varsity members is like the treasurer of their team now; there was a lot of stuff going on this weekend and our varsity team was pretty much in shambles, so we decided not to go.

Congratulations Tipp and Solon as well on 2-3 finish....

One more thing DCC guy, is Howard still the coach, he wasn't at Celebrity Shootout, and my assistant coach and I were wondering, since your JV guys and your coach were sitting right behind us most of the day.
Bob Kilner

solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Weinberg retired from coaching at the end of last year, although I am told he still writes questions for Detroit-area tournaments.

As Weiner would say, "No one ever really retires."
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
DCCHelmet
Lulu

Post by DCCHelmet »

Weinburg is def out. He does write questions from time to time (such as the recent UMD tourney)
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Wow... I never heard anything about it until now...

Was the new coach part of the program before he left? or is he 'brand new?'
Bob Kilner

msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

If the new coach of DCC is Jason Jones, he was with the team last year. Both he and Howard came to Spotswood for ACT II last spring. Howard told me he was retiring, and my impression was that Jason was going to take over the team this year. I have his name on my email list and my messages haven't been returned as undeliverable.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

It is Jason Jones.
Noah Rahman
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

I split the "talk about college-bound seniors" thread off of this one. You can find it in Misc HSQB.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Good, my fault I didn't make it a separate topic... caught in the spur of the moment I guess...
Bob Kilner

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

my thoughts...

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

I know that I haven't had a chance to see many of the teams in my area...because, for the most part, they don't travel. :( Badger went to Copley in October, and LaBrae went to Aurora.

In Mahoning County, we now have 12 in the league after adding Boardman (one of the largest in the county) and Campbell. Boardman will make an immediate impact.

Poland, defending EC Regional champion, league champion, and three-time defending county tournament champion, returns one player off their 34-7 team--but he was their top man. They will be good again.

In Columbiana County, a few teams have already expressed interest in the NAQT event, including 2004 Regional qualifier Hanoverton United.

Please take a look at the NAQT State Championships web page at users.adelphia.net/~bossick/naqt.htm

I'm not sure if the registration form works...if you try to register, and you don't hear from me within a day or two, e-mail me at g_boss98 -at- yahoo dot com.

I might be working a local tournament on 8 January...I know I can't go to Turpin. I'll try to make it down to Northmont on the 29th though.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Is there any chance I could get in contact with some of these interested Mahoning/Columbiana teams to tell them about Solon?
Noah Rahman
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Noah, I can give you the e-mail addresses of the coaches in the league in Mahoning County. As far as Columbiana is concerned (and Trumbull for that matter) I can pass along information at their county tournaments. Problem: I don't know when Trumbull's is, and Columbiana's is the same day as Buzzerpalooza and Northmont.

I know a few additional e-mails of East Central regional teams from last year that might be of use to you. Let me gather them all together and then I'll send you an e-mail. I'm assuming the Yahoo address is ok?
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Yes, it's ok.
Noah Rahman
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

We will get a good idea of what is coming out of NE Ohio after all the following tournaments...

1/8 South Range tournament--won by LaBrae (Trumbull County)
1/25 Medina County League season ends--won by Cloverleaf
1/26 Stark County tournament--won by Jackson
1/29 Columbiana County tournament--won by Salem; Buzzerpalooza
1/31 Summit County tournament--Walsh Jesuit qualifies
2/1--2/2 Trumbull County tournament--won by Vienna Mathews
2/5 Ashland/Holmes Counties tournament--West Holmes qualifies
2/9 NEOAL tournament (w/Garfield Heights)--won by GHHS
2/9 Portage County tournament--won by James A. Garfield
2/25 Medina County tournament--Cloverleaf in a rout
2/26 Jefferson County tournament
2/26 Copley Invitational--Aurora, Lancaster, Hawken, Western Reserve Academy, and Orange qualify
2/28 Small School Stark Cty Tournament--Northwest wins and won the league, too
3/2 Final day of Mahoning County league play--Poland has clinched
3/12 Mahoning County tournament, Garfield Heights BAIT at Solon--nothing new, Poland and GHHS run the table
3/13 Alliance Kiwanis/Mount Union Academic Challenge--Salem is looking good heading into the East Central...
3/19 GLRAC
3/22 Ashtabula County tournament

Scholastic Games of Lorain County (radio show) and the two area TV shows (Cleveland/Youngstown) don't finish in time to send their champion to OAC.
Last edited by MahoningQuizBowler on Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:45 pm, edited 14 times in total.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Haven't heard anything in a while...

Found out today that North Canton Hoover will represent the Stark County league at regionals, having gone undefeated in that competition, including a win over 2004 state qualifier Canton Central Catholic.

Anything else, Ohioans?
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

What happened to Canton Central Catholic's legendary supporting crowd? :wink:

I think we can make more substantive judgments after Buzzerpalooza (when I see what practicing on Technophobia and ACF Fall packets has done to my team :twisted: ). Right now there are only two tournaments in which many Ohio schools have played. Copley, of course, will be the best estimate beacuse of its large field, but we should wait for at least one of the Case tournaments due to the out-of-state competition.
Noah Rahman
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright.
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light.
And, somewhere men are laughing, and quizbowl parents shout,
but there is no joy in Canton --
the Crusaders were sucked out.

CCC may still bring their rabblerousers to the tournament on Jan. 26 which I may go to since its in the afternoon. It includes a lot of the larger schools in Stark county, and New Philadelphia--if they can get out of Tuscarawas County.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Does anyone from the West Central/Southwest part of the state have any news from the Sidney tournament last Saturday, and are there ANY tournaments this Saturday?
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Besides the Rube Invitational at Michigan State which us and Tipp are going to, not really.
Noah Rahman
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

Sidney Results:
The Final Round was a three way match. Tipp A made it out of the Large School Bracket while Tipp D won the Small School Bracket. Lehman High School made it out of the Consolation Bracket. Two parts to the final: a written round of 20 followed by 10 minutes of lightning round questions.
Score after written round:
Tipp A: 11
Lehman: 9
Tipp D: 4

Final Scores
Tipp A: 50
Lehman: 20
Tipp D: 9
Last edited by zwtipp on Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Thanks guys.

Noah, I will get you those e-mails after the first of February. I"m going to the Columbiana and Trumbull county tournaments, so I'm hoping to get updated e-mails for all the coaches in those counties, then add them to all the ones I have from Mahoning.
pblessman
Rikku

Solon

Post by pblessman »

This Saturday we (Culver Academies, IN) played at a heavily decimated Michigan State (Rube Goldberg Invitational) Tournament. It seems impetuous for me to weigh in on a discussion on who is the best team in Ohio as we only played two teams from Ohio (Solon and Tippecanoe), but I must say I see Solon as a :kenj: caliber team. Tippecanoe has a very solid team against whom we were able to squeak out a victory in the quarterfinals, but Solon destroyed us (and everybody else!) at the tournament. I believe their average margin of victory was ~300 points... very impressive. I've competed against many top notch Nationals calibers teams and I feel Solon can give them a run for their money. So I don't know if Solon is the best team in Ohio, but I certainly think they are a team who could potentially make a stir at nationals.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Its hard to explain the situation with Solon in Ohio. I think they are by far the best team in any non Ohio-format matches...

However, to quote either Joe or Justin, "OAC is the great equalizer..."

Not to get off on the argument about how much I hate OAC-format... Solon, Tipp as well as us have struggled in OAC format tournaments of high caliber (i.e. Copley and Regionals)...

Hopefully for all three of us, this is the year where that streak ends... I would love to see Solon and Garfield come out of NE and Tipp come out of WC... that would make for a hell of a state tournament.
Bob Kilner

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

All issues aside (see thread in the miscellaneous forum), the Stark County tournament was a great experience and has given me lots of ideas for Mahoning County. Eleven teams competed, 10 from Stark and one from Tuscarawas, and the tournament was the prime example of the idea that anything can happen in an OAC-knockout competition.

Silly trivia about the host school, Jackson (near Massillon): I think I found the earliest start time/end time in Ohio schools. Teachers have to report at 6:30 AM and dismissal is at 1:45 PM.

Round 1
Jackson 44, Massillon 35
Canton McKinley 44, Uniontown Lake 23
Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas 47, Canton Timken 21

Round 2
Jackson 46, North Canton Hoover 43
GlenOak 44, Massillon Perry 36
Canton McKinley 45, Canton Central Catholic 43
Aquinas 53, New Philadelphia 44

Round 3--losers bracket
Perry 32, Massillon 31
New Philadelphia 41, Lake 24
Central Catholic 61, Timken 14

Round 4--winners bracket
Jackson 35, GlenOak 31
Aquinas 26, McKinley 22

Round 4--losers bracket
Hoover 38, Perry 24
Central Catholic 42, New Philadelphia 36

Round 5--winners bracket final
Aquinas 35, Jackson 28

Round 5--losers bracket
McKinley 31, Hoover 29---this is the match in question on the other thread
Central Catholic 35, GlenOak 31

Round 6--fourth place game
Central Catholic 31, McKinley 28

Round 7--third place game
Jackson 36, Central Catholic 34

Final, first leg
Jackson 40, Aquinas 39 in double overtime

Final, second leg
Jackson 25, Aquinas 24

Jackson, a school more known for speech and debate, was the #8 seed heading into the tournament. The final was broadcast tonight on WHBC 1480-AM, with yours truly reading both games of the final. This was a great tournament and quite a few teams there expressed interest in coming to the NAQT State Championships in April.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

-Greg-
Do all of these schools report to East Central (if they qualify of course)?
Bob Kilner

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Hard to tell, Bob. Canton Central Catholic came to Steubenville last year, as did New Philly, but the Hoover has gone to the Northeast every time. Since the committee has a nasty habit of splitting teams from the same county into different regionals, it means that they could send both teams to different sites.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

In the other northeastern Ohio tournament today...

Salem won the Columbiana County tournament for the first time in 22 years by going undefeated and closing in convincing fashion, defeating then 8-1 Lisbon in the final round.

Format: 25 tossups, 10 points each, no negs, 1 5-point bonus per tossup.

The top scorer at the tournament was a student from Salem who scored 780 points. Second place was 320...

I read for Salem a few times and they are good, but because the rules down there are weird--you can ask for repeats of a question???--and this is the only time most of these teams play during the year, I don't think the Quakers will be able to go as far as the 2004 champion, United, did at Regional.

On the other hand, I did get NINE verbal commitments today for the NAQT State Championship.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

from Summit County's tournament at Kent...in Portage County.

One more Regional qualifier is known for sure. Walsh Jesuit will win their half of this tournament after beating Springfield by a point in their head to head match. In the other bracket, Twinsburg and Copley are meeting right now to decide who wins that division. I would stay and find out the result, but I have Baroque Music in 90 minutes and I"m 60 away from my campus...

Got 4 firm verbal commitments and 4 not-so-firm ones here today...but the surprise is that Copley will indeed come out to Youngstown and play the NAQT Format.

The field is taking shape and it looks like it is going to be a fun tournament on April 16 in the Steel Valley.

More updates tomorrow from the Trumbull County tournament.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Whoa Greg, what the hell happened to Revere....
Even if you left, Copley should kill Twinsburg. We're Copley's whipping boys and we beat Twinsburg 65-20 in our fall league tournament finale in November.

If Revere doesn't win, maybe that will keep them out of regionals, although Walsh will be going.....

We'll see what happens.
Bob Kilner

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

THE WORST TOURNAMENT EVER

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you my case for the worst tournament ever. Yes, ever. My good people, the 2005 Trumbull County Prep Bowl tournament.

The following are my reasons for making this claim...

1. The name. I know we use different names to refer to this activity, but have you ever heard PREP bowl?

2. The logistics. There are 19 teams in this tournament, yet the dis-organizing committee decides to hold it in a building where they are only allowed to use the three lecture halls. That's right. 19 teams, only 6 can play at one time. The other 13 sit on their ass and wait...in some cases NINETY minutes before their next match. One school held and completed their own Texas hold 'em tournament while waiting for their third round match. As a result of this massive screwup, the tournament lasts two days, causing the successful schools to have to pay their bus drivers and pay for fuel all over again.

3. The staff. Let's put it this way...if they played in this tournament, they'd get the living hell beat out of them. Mispronunciations all over the place...ruling right answers wrong that were the exact answer on the page...the timer forgetting to time 90% of the questions...it was a bloody mess.

4. The FORMAT: Check this out.
Round 1: 20 alphabet-round, all beginning with the same letter tossups; 5 points each.
Round 2: 5 minutes. 10 questions read. The team can pass or answer. If they pass, they can go back and answer the passed questions in any order before time expires. Once time expires, the other team can steal two questions the first team missed.
Round 3: This is where it gets trippy. 10 tossups, 5 points each. If one team buzzes in and misses, the other team does NOT get to hear the rest of the question, NOR do they get to ANSWER IT. Instead, they get to hear the 15-point bonus question right away. Excuse me, the BONUS is supposed to be a reward for getting the tossup right. right???

5. The Question content: Spelling. Multiple choice questions. Analogies. Literature questions that deal with plot, also mutliple choice. Very little else. Very repetitive. VERY BORING.

There are some good teams in this tournament that hate it. Fortunately, some of them play other tournaments in Ohio that do not fall into this Twilight-Zone-esque format.

I rest my case.

The champion will be determined tomorrow...
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Another sign of the apocalypse...

So Vienna Mathews, one of the smallest schools in Trumbull County, beats Howland, the rich suburb of Warren, for the Trumbull County championship. If it weren't for the fact that Mathews didn't hire me for a job, I might be happy about that result.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Poland has tightened its grip on the Mahoning County league by going 6-0 in the quadrangular meet today against Canfield, South Range, and Boardman. The defending champions are now 14-0 and have a 4 game lead on Boardman and Struthers. It looks as if the Bulldogs will be making their fourth consecutive trip to Steubenville and will have the opportunity to defend their regional championship.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Portage County

Garrettsville's James A. Garfield High School will represent Portage County in April's Regionals after winning the tournament this afternoon at Hiram College. This is the first time in quite a few years that Aurora has not taken top spot, although they did defeat Ravenna for the junior varsity title.

Scores will come later.

Also, Poland can clinch the Mahoning County League Championship next week with two wins against Campbell Memorial. Poland, after sweeping Springfield today, is 16-0.
zwtipp
Rikku

NAQT States

Post by zwtipp »

Greg, could you post a list of teams that will be coming in April?
I'm curious to see who is already planning on coming.
Will Copley be coming?

Thanks
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

In southern Ohio today, Batavia won the SBAAC tournament and will join Bethel-Tate and Georgetown in Regional play. They will probably be split between Cinci and Portsmouth, but the quality of play was such that I doubt any of them have a serious chance of making it through the early stages of the tournament.
JeffSHS
Kimahri

OAC Website

Post by JeffSHS »

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if OAC has a website that they regularly update anymore? Also, does Copley use any website to post tournament info? I'm curious as to who all is in the "Already qualified for regionals" division. Thanks
Springfield High School (Akron)
Academic Challenge - Class of 2005
zwtipp
Rikku

Re: OAC Website

Post by zwtipp »

JeffSHS wrote:Hello everyone. I was just wondering if OAC has a website that they regularly update anymore? Also, does Copley use any website to post tournament info? I'm curious as to who all is in the "Already qualified for regionals" division. Thanks
Well as far as I know, OAC rarely updates their website and I don't think Copley has a website.
This is the OAC website: http://www.shawnee.edu/off/uos/ep/oac/
I can't find a website for Copley's team.
My guess on the Blue/Gold (already qualified) Division people:
Solon
Garfield Heights
Fisher Catholic
Tippecanoe
Copley (2 teams from what i hear)
Lancaster
Turpin
i don't know about many others, but these are all probably in those division
you may want to check out the ohio yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/qtcentral/
just tell the moderator what school you're from and he'll probably let you in, we had a problem with spammers earlier
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Poland has qualified and will be in the Blue/Gold.

JeffSHS, ask your coach to e-mail me about the NAQT Ohio Championships on April 16. [email protected]
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

I spent all day in the hospital today.

At a tournament.

The Medina County Tournament, hosted by Medina General Hospital, was absolutely owned by Cloverleaf using questions that were easy. How easy? The championship round there was Round 4 (last preliminary round) at Portage County.

Cloverleaf destroyed Black River, Columbia, and Medina twice (67-34 in the final) to do the double, having went undefeated in League play this season.

They are bringing three teams to Copley--2 varsity, 1 JV--and will be competing, as far as I know, in the Blue/Gold, but probably in the bracket of non-death.

I got three solid verbal commitments from teams at this tournament for NAQT States...Columbia (another school that didn't hire me, but they're cool), Cloverleaf, and Medina--who will be in the Ocean Sciences Bowl at YSU tomorrow instead of Copley.

Does anyone know of any tournaments next Saturday?
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Yeah--

Copley really clarified anything

Copley beats Tipp, Garfield
Garfield beats Tipp, Solon
Solon beats Copley
Tipp beats Solon

Copley 6-1
Tipp 5-2
Solon 5-2
Garfield 4-3

So my guys choke against Cloverleaf (who played the match of their lives), get it handed to us by a surprisingly strong Turpin team and get thumped by Copley...

I don't know the final results because we left before the playoffs...

But I'm sure someone will post them.

Bob
Bob Kilner

DH TTHS
Lulu
Location: about 15 miles north of that joke of a city Dayton, Ohio

Post by DH TTHS »

1 Copley
2 Fisher Catholic
3Tipp
4Lancaster
Demetrius Haas
THE TIPPECANOE HIGH SCHOOL

This season dedicated in memory of Barbaro and Anna Nichole Smith.

RIP
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

That was Lexington in fourth not Lancaster. Copley beat Fisher Catholic 51-41.
Overall, we went 6-3, losing to Copley, Fisher Catholic and Garfield Heights.
Very well run tournament. The questions were very well written, although the themed lightning round at times were a bit iffy.
I look forward to seeing everyone again at Garfield Heights in two week.
Congrats to Copley and everyone who participated, that bracket with Copley, Solon, Garfield Heights and Tippecanoe was brutal and everyone did a fine job.
jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

Actually, [i]Lexington [/i]finished fourth.

I really have mixed feelings about the way things went at Copley today. We made it to the "playoffs" of the Blue/Gold, no mean feat in itself, but clearly Garfield Hts would have been there without the Cloverleaf misstep. I don't think for a minute that Tipp was the second best team in our bracket. It just worked out that when the round robin ended, we found ourselves in second place on tiebreakers. Solon and Garfield Hts. made strong cases today for their teams and with the flukiness of OAC format, anybody can beat anybody.

Anyway, back to my mixed feelings.....

We played Fisher Catholic in the first "playoff" game, and lost 59-50. We were only down by two going into the lightning round, so it was closer than it looks. I really didn't mind losing to a good team like them. After that, we were told to report to another room to play the loser of Lexington/Copley for third place. Well, we did as we were told, and beat Lexington 52-39. What did we receive for our third place finish? No trophy. No certificate. No recognition of any kind. Am I peeved about this? D---ed straight I am. We were facing a four hour drive home, and they made us stay to play for pride? I felt like we had to play another game to stroke somebody's ego. Lexington sure as hell didn't want to play another game - they were pretty down after getting stomped by Copley in the first "playoff" game. How do you guys feel about this?

One more question for everyone -- how do you all feel about playing your best team in your own tournament, when your coaching staff is producing all questions that will be used? I'm NOT accusing Copley of cheating. But we don't play our varsity in our tournament (and we even bought questions from NAQT). Any coach or tournament director could cheat if they wanted to. I don't think for a minute that Copley was doing that today. But they were vastly superior in most rounds (except for the Solon match) to everyone they played. On a neutral field, in any other format, I think Copley is pretty pedestrian. Certainly no better than any of the other Blue division teams today. I had two different coaches (not from the Blue Division teams) come and ask me what I thought about that, and I defended Sue and the Copley administration. How do you all feel about this tournament and Copley's performance today? Does this change our predictions for state, or should we write this off as a home-field aberration?

One more little rant -- I detested the themed lightning-round questions. More on that on the qtcentral page. :mad:
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

jrbellas wrote:Actually, Lexington finished fourth.
beat you :grin:
I think Copley is strongest in team oriented formats (like OAC), however, in other formats they are on par with the rest of the teams.
Copley certainly did not cheat, but the small rule quirks (conferring after the buzz seems to defeat the whole point of having "team" questions followed by a "tossup") and home field advantage may have helped them a bit.
Is Copley even going to be at NAQT state, since they don't seem to like that format? It would be a shame not to have them there since they are without a doubt one of the best teams in Ohio.
PS - The only thing I hate more than themed lightning rounds are the questions that say "Name the author from birth year and city." Well that and the "who comes between" questions.