NAQT Sectionals Region 4 2/20/10 at Maryland

Old college threads.
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

NAQT Sectionals Region 4 2/20/10 at Maryland

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Hello all, and we would like to invite you to the University of Maryland on Febuary 20th 2010 to participate in NAQT Sectionals which will serve as qualification for NAQT ICT to be held in April at a location to be decided. We are hosting this at Maryland in hope that it will allow many teams to attend ACF Regionals the next day.

Fees:

$120 Base Fee and $100 for each subsequent team
-$10 for each Buzzer system brought (We really need them, so I'd encourage all teams to bring at least 1 set, $20 maximum discount)
-$10 for Moderators from each respective school
-$40 to any team who hasn't competed in NAQT Sectionals for the past 2 years (As per NAQT's "New quizbowl team" discount)

Questions will be available for purchase at the site for $40 and $35 for any additional packets purchased in addition to the first one per team.

Please make checks out to "GMU Quizbowl" and bring the checks on the day of the tournament and include the price of the questions you wish to purchase, if you wish to wait until the day of the tournament to purchase the questions, then that is fine. Cash will be accepted as well

Format:

Right now depending on how many teams we do get, we will have a guranteed 7-8 games for the preliminaries of both divisions as well as a re-bracketed round robin matching teams of relative skill with another possible 4-5 games in the playoffs of the new brackets.

This tournament will feature 10 minute halves of 2 in each round and we hope to have an average of 20 tossups and bonuses read per round given the time.

This tournament will be held on the campus of University of Maryland in College Park, MD with teams meeting in the Jimenez Hall on campus for the intial rules meeting and logistics information, registration will be held as early as 8:00 AM and we wish to start the tournament by at least 9:00 AM and hopefully get teams out by 6:00 PM at the latest.

We hope to see you there

Field Update (To be edited as registrations come in, and the field will probably be capped at 20-24 teams)

Division I
Maryland A
Virginia A
Carnegie Mellon A
Virginia Tech
VCU
Pittsburgh A
Penn

Division II
NC Wesleyan
Maryland B
Maryland C
William and Mary
Carnegie Mellon B
Pittsburgh B
George Washington
Georgetown
NC State
Roanoke

Expressed Intrest:

East Carolina
US Naval Academy
Drexel

Edit: Changing host locations
Last edited by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: NAQT Sectionals Region 4 2/6/10

Post by Important Bird Area »

-$80 to any team who hasn't competed in NAQT Sectionals for the past 2 years (As per NAQT's "New quizbowl team" discount)
That should read: -$40. (according to this)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

The Mountie wrote:This tournament will feature 9 minute halves
I think (hope!) you mean ten-minute halves.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Important Bird Area

Yes; nationwide announcement to that effect forthcoming.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Rikku

Re: NAQT Sectionals Region 4 2/6/10 at George Mason

It is now slightly less than 1 month away from this tournament, and we have had not 1 team express intrest or register for this tournament. I encourage those schools in Region 4 and/or beyond to please register as per NAQT's website http://www.naqt.com/sct/hosts.jsp
Zach Foster
Rikku

A little over 2 weeks away and we have only 1 team that has registered (Thanks Maryland!). I feel this is quite insulting that only 1 team has indeed signed up for this tournament considering there are quite a few schools with teams in Region 4. Please get these registrations in :smile:
Zach Foster
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

My team will be playing and I will be reading.

Obviously we would be less likely to attend a 4-team tournament. Can people who are thinking of going at least post something in the thread?
Steve Bahnaman, Campbell University
Commissioner, Online Quiz League USA (quizcentral.net)
NC Wesleyan College, Librarian and Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach 2009-2011
Emory Academic Team, 1999-2004
Pretty trashy
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

We are planning on coming.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

CMU will hopefully have one team each in DI and DII.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Penn will have one D1 team and maybe some D2 teams, but it's realistically going to be past Penn Bowl before things are firmed up--I'll try to get an estimate for you Thursday and more firm numbers early next week.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
Rikku

Lapego1 wrote:Penn will have one D1 team and maybe some D2 teams, but it's realistically going to be past Penn Bowl before things are firmed up--I'll try to get an estimate for you Thursday and more firm numbers early next week.
As you know Medhi, GMU will be at Penn Bowl. Would it be a problem if I could get some estimate while we are at Penn Bowl. I can ask at Lunch time and what not. If not then that's no problem
Zach Foster
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey Zach, I heard a little birdie tell me that some of the Sectionals sites this year have been assigning non-qb personnel to moderate games (or possibly, ACUI has been insisting this happen). Can you please assure us that nothing like that is going to happen here?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Rikku

Hey Chris, don't worry about that happening at this site, all of our staff at this site will be not be affiliated with ACUI whatsoever
Zach Foster
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

We will probably have one DI and one DII team.
Kunle Demuren
Ocean Lakes (VA) Scholastic Bowl (2003-07)
Princeton College Bowl (2007-)
Important Bird Area

DumbJaques wrote:a little birdie tell me that some of the Sectionals sites this year have been assigning non-qb personnel to moderate games (or possibly, ACUI has been insisting this happen).
I'd like to reassure everyone that both ACUI and NAQT are committed to using the best possible staff for SCT, and we have been working with the hosts to train staff as necessary.

Our policy is that the priority for staffing is to put the most experienced staff in Division I, followed by Division II, and then as scorekeepers, and that the last is the preferred location for those who have no previous quizbowl experience. All ACUI hosts have been instructed to coordinate with local staff recommended by NAQT.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:a little birdie tell me that some of the Sectionals sites this year have been assigning non-qb personnel to moderate games (or possibly, ACUI has been insisting this happen).
I'd like to reassure everyone that both ACUI and NAQT are committed to using the best possible staff for SCT, and we have been working with the hosts to train staff as necessary.

Our policy is that the priority for staffing is to put the most experienced staff in Division I, followed by Division II, and then as scorekeepers, and that the last is the preferred location for those who have no previous quizbowl experience. All ACUI hosts have been instructed to coordinate with local staff recommended by NAQT.
What's going on with the Illinois SCT, then?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

It appears that, apparently, Penn won't be sending a Div I team to Sectionals. Hopefully the younger players will get a Div II team together or something.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Rikku

Attention all participants at of this SCT site. I would like to inform you that e-mails and posts will be put up if campus closes due to bad weather. I really hope this is not the case this weekend, and we would have to postpone it indefinitely. So please if anything does come up where this site has to cancel or postpone, please do not get mad at us, as we have no control of the weather, and campus will cancelall activities if this is the case. I will keep you informed.
Zach Foster
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Jeff, if a sectional has to cancel for weather, will the ICT look at stats at comparable tournaments (winter, regionals, etc.) of would-be attendees?
Andrew Watkins
Important Bird Area

Plan A will certainly be to reschedule sometime later in February (obviously not conflicting with Regionals, T-Party, local hs tournaments that take away a bunch of teams/staff). Oddly, in a dozen years of hosting SCT, we've never had major problems with snow... but we'll keep you posted.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Thanks. We are monitoring the weather situation, but as we are borderline Southern... :)

We'll try to send information out in a timely manner, but the current weather models suggest a winter storm (even more than the current storm that is laying down a fresh 3 to 6 inches) that will begin in the DC area around Friday afternoon and continue through Saturday. We'll try to inform everyone quickly here about the situation here and any contact info we have from registration.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

Just so you know William & Mary will be there, probably with a DII team, gathering the details tomorrow at practice before I register...

In case we have 5 players is it possible to have a rotating moderator for the discount? I.e., first 5 rounds one guy next 5 rounds another, or something similar?
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Zip Zap Rap Pants wrote:Just so you know William & Mary will be there, probably with a DII team, gathering the details tomorrow at practice before I register...

In case we have 5 players is it possible to have a rotating moderator for the discount? I.e., first 5 rounds one guy next 5 rounds another, or something similar?
I am mystified by the NAQT "registration deadline" being in no way a deadline, by the way. If next year's SCT works with the same centralized system, it should probably adhere to the announced deadline and stuff.
Andrew Watkins
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
Zip Zap Rap Pants wrote:Just so you know William & Mary will be there, probably with a DII team, gathering the details tomorrow at practice before I register...

I am mystified by the NAQT "registration deadline" being in no way a deadline, by the way. If next year's SCT works with the same centralized system, it should probably adhere to the announced deadline and stuff.
It's difficult when teams are dealing with tournaments announced less than six weeks in advance and on-campus people who say they will give you money and then lock themselves in fallout shelters when you try to get specifics. Given what's been going on this year I think enforcing an arbitrary "it's impossible to let teams into this non-packet-submission tournament less than a week beforehand!" deadline is far less important than letting people react to the various situations by registering for the SCT site that makes sense for them at a time that makes sense for them.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

I agree with that, certainly. It's just an additional layer of confusing to tell hosts "there's this registration deadline" and then for that not to be true.

There's also an all-too-real deadline of when I could be shipped clocks; the fact that that was before the actual registration deadline of "whenever" means that we will be lucky to scrape up clocks for our tournament.
Andrew Watkins
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

You can buy digital countdown timers online for $5, and I've even heard reports of them being available at the dollar store. Go buy four of them, run your tournament, and save $20 on every future NAQT tournament you participate in.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

For those interested, Facebook event link: http://www.facebook.com/etchuck?ref=nf# ... 76&index=1 .
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Matt Weiner wrote:You can buy digital countdown timers online for $5, and I've even heard reports of them being available at the dollar store. Go buy four of them, run your tournament, and save $20 on every future NAQT tournament you participate in.
I don't want practical solutions to my (what I realize in the morning to be) trivial problems! I want over-the-top pity! Goddammit.
Andrew Watkins
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

So as a person who has to personally rent a van and pay for hotel rooms, would it be possible to know whether this tournament is happening by, say Friday morning?

Or should I plan to re-reschedule and head to the New England SCT?
Barry
Cornell
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Wall of Ham wrote:So as a person who has to personally rent a van and pay for hotel rooms, would it be possible to know whether this tournament is happening by, say Friday morning?

We have eight/twelve teams right now, which is the limit of what we can take until I hear from staffers I expect will not come. As such, we can't let you into the field (until we hear from said staffers we will probably not hear from).
Andrew Watkins
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

Wall of Ham wrote:So as a person who has to personally rent a van and pay for hotel rooms, would it be possible to know whether this tournament is happening by, say Friday morning?

I would like to know this too, and we can't really afford to go north since we can't exactly afford the extra expense of hotel rooms.
Kunle Demuren
Rikku

I will post within the next 2 hours after I meet with Dr. Chuck about this Saturday. It definitely looks like this tournament will still happen, but we will officially announce/confirm this Friday morning if any impediments come up.
Zach Foster
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote: We have eight/twelve teams right now, which is the limit of what we can take until I hear from staffers I expect will not come. As such, we can't let you into the field (until we hear from said staffers we will probably not hear from).
Yeah, I figured we could scrap our Div I team, and then I could help moderate while the freshmen played, but it would probably be too big a hassle to the bracketing and schedule.
Barry
Cornell
Rikku

Update: We will confirm Friday morning if this tournament will still happen as campus will inform us if we are shut down for Saturday. So don't pull out of this field just yet.
Zach Foster
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Wall of Ham wrote:
Crazy Andy Watkins wrote: We have eight/twelve teams right now, which is the limit of what we can take until I hear from staffers I expect will not come. As such, we can't let you into the field (until we hear from said staffers we will probably not hear from).
Yeah, I figured we could scrap our Div I team, and then I could help moderate while the freshmen played, but it would probably be too big a hassle to the bracketing and schedule.
That would actually kind of work if you have a buzzer to bring.
Andrew Watkins
Rikku

Update: With the announcement due tommorow morning if campus is shut down Saturday, then this tournament will be officially held this Sunday with the approximate times being the same (Be there by 8:00-8:45 AM). Though if we change the day, the initial meeting will be held in the Student Union II building in rooms 5,6, and 7. Though we will try and fit everybody in 1 room. I hope we don't lose any of the field IF we do switch to Sunday. Though again I will confirm tommorrow morning if we are holding this on Saturday or Sunday.
Zach Foster
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

So asking the obvious question....

Is there a chance of the school being closed both days?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Rikku

Frater Taciturnus wrote:So asking the obvious question....

Is there a chance of the school being closed both days?
Yes the obvious question has indeed been asked. Yes there is a chance, but since there will be no snow predicted. I imagine the campus might still be open (dining) and buildings because of there being about 7000 students that do live on campus (including myself). I will though have full answers tommorrow.
Zach Foster
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

NC Wesleyan wouldn't be able to make Sunday, FYI. Adjust schedule accordingly if you need to.
Steve Bahnaman, Campbell University
Commissioner, Online Quiz League USA (quizcentral.net)
NC Wesleyan College, Librarian and Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach 2009-2011
Emory Academic Team, 1999-2004
Pretty trashy
glorious achievement
Lulu

Post by glorious achievement »

Unfortunately, one of our drivers can't run the risk of being stuck in Virginia until Sunday, so our Div I team is going to have to withdraw. Our Div II team can still go, provided the tournament is on Saturday. No one can make it down there for a Sunday tournament. Sorry if the late notice causes any issues with the schedule.
Dan Christman-Crook
University of Pittsburgh
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

We most likely would not be able to do Sunday as well.
Kunle Demuren
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Just wanting to be sure... there are tournaments running next weekend at VCU, right?
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

The VCU T-Party mirror is happening next Sunday. I believe most of the VCU squad plans to spend Saturday staffing the Central Region VHSL tournament.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

The Motley Eye wrote:The VCU T-Party mirror is happening next Sunday. I believe most of the VCU squad plans to spend Saturday staffing the Central Region VHSL tournament.
2/27 is a pretty open weekend, right?
Andrew Watkins
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Cornell is going to withdraw from this, due to the fact that the predicted weather has gotten worse (now 20-28 inches forecasted). We probably have the longest drive, and I do not trust my driving skills in this weather. We would consider a later, non-sunday date though.

Good luck!
Barry
Cornell
olsb25
Wakka

Post by olsb25 »

GMU website wrote:Today, February 5, 2010 George Mason University classes and campus activities are canceled at 12:30 pm today and all day Saturday, February 6, 2010. Administrative offices are closed at 12:30 pm on February 5, 2010.

Classes held at 10:30 am on February 5, 2010 will meet as regularly scheduled.
I assume this means cancellation, and in any case, I also do not trust my driving in terrible snow, so we will also withdraw.
Kunle Demuren
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
glorious achievement
Lulu

Post by glorious achievement »

It looks like the tournament's going to be postponed anyway, but we're also going to have to withdraw due to snow. If the tournament's rescheduled to any date past Sunday we should be able to send both teams.
Dan Christman-Crook
University of Pittsburgh
Rikku

Okay yeah this tournament has been postponed. We most likely are looking at the week of 2/27 to hold the SCT with due respect to Maryland and VCU both hosting ACF Regionals (We hope to attend) and T-Party respectively. Please if any further questions are wanted, please do ask and I will hopefully be able to answer them.
Zach Foster
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Lucy Lane wrote:Okay yeah this tournament has been postponed. We most likely are looking at the week of 2/27 to hold the SCT with due respect to Maryland and VCU both hosting ACF Regionals (We hope to attend) and T-Party respectively. Please if any further questions are wanted, please do ask and I will hopefully be able to answer them.
Why not host the tournament on 2/20 alongside Maryland hosting Regionals on Sunday 2/21? Wouldn't that be better in every conceivable way, including less time for embargoing question discussion, higher attendance at both tournaments and lower travel costs for teams, and no conflict with long-held plans by people involved in nearby teams to staff an important high school tournament on 2/27?

GMU, Maryland, NAQT: Your thoughts?
Matt Weiner