NAQT SCT Northwest - U of Washington - 2/6/10

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

NAQT SCT Northwest - U of Washington - 2/6/10

Post by Mike Bentley »

The Quizbowl Team at University of Washington, in conjunction with ACUI Region 14, is pleased to announce that it will be hosting the 2010 NAQT Sectional Championship Tournament for the Pacific Northwest Region on Saturday, 2/6/10. UPDATE: We will be running this as a Saturday-only tournament. Please disregard any earlier announcements about Friday game play.

FEES:

Base fee = $120 for the first team, $100 for each additional team
-$40 per team from schools that have not competed in or hosted an SCT in the last two years
-$5 per fully functional buzzer system
-$5 per fully functional countdown timer/clock (time must be easily visible to both teams)
-$10 per 200 miles traveled to the event one-way (measured by Google Maps)
-$10 per pre-approved moderator or scorekeeper
Minimum fee per team: $70

There may be other fees related a possible reception on Saturday morning or afternoon. More details about these will be posted soon.

ELIGIBLITY:

This tournament will be run using NAQT’s eligibility requirements. For full details on this, please see http://naqt.com/college/collegiate-eligibility.html. Remember that NAQT divides the field into Division I and Division II teams, and will also award ICT bids to the top Division I undergraduate team if there are enough teams to meet that requirement.

Please note that because we don’t expect to have enough interest to run a separate Community College Sectional Championship Tournament in the region, Community Colleges are eligible to compete in this sectional. Community Colleges that do well at this tournament can quality for the Intercollegiate Championship Tournament like four-year colleges, but are not eligible to quality for the Community College Championship Tournament because that tournament will be using the same questions as in our tournament.

Now that NAQT has signed an agreement with ACUI, there are also region restrictions on teams attending this tournament. All schools in ACUI Region 14 are eligible to attend this tournament. Furthermore, if Seattle is the closest SCT to your school and you’re not in ACUI Region 14, you are eligible to attend this tournament. All other schools will need to e-mail NAQT for special permission to complete in this tournament.

To register, please fill out the form at http://www.naqt.com/registration/field. ... nt_id=3249. I’d appreciate it if you could also e-mail me at [email protected] if you’re coming.

TOURNAMENT LOCATION:

This tournament will be taking place in the HUB (which is not our usual tournament venue). More details on the specific location of game rooms and where to register will be forthcoming.

HOTELS:

The official hotel for the Regional Tournament is the Silver Cloud Inn, University District (http://www.silvercloud.com/university.htm). The cost is $119/129 per night and that includes continental breakfast (please mention ACUI when reserving a room).

The hotel is located at:
5036 25th Avenue NE Seattle, WA 98105
Reservations: 800.205.6940

Teams are also free to book their own hotel or not to book a hotel at all.

MISC:

If you have any other questions about the tournament, please e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks,
Mike Bentley
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at UW
Last edited by Mike Bentley on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: NAQT SCT Northwest - U of Washington - 2/5/10-2/6/10

Post by Mike Bentley »

Unofficial Field Update (as of 1/5/10):

Division I:
UW (1)
Portland State (1)
Boise State (1)

Division II:
UW (probably 2 teams)

I'm pretty sure there are teams coming from Washington State and Portland Community College, but this isn't confirmed. I also expect Gonzaga to come, although I haven't heard from them directly.

Please officially register at http://www.naqt.com/registration/field. ... nt_id=3249.
Last edited by Mike Bentley on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mike Bentley
jazzerpoet
Wakka

Post by jazzerpoet »

Hey, Mike!

Put Portland State down for one DI Open team and one moderator. Thanks.
Angelo Malabanan
University of Tulsa (2000-2009)
Portland State University (2009-present)
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

We'll have at least one DI team, I'm sure.

(Although I'm not liking the Friday evening start time.)
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

tiwonge wrote:(Although I'm not liking the Friday evening start time.)
Seconded; we may not bring any teams if that's not changed.
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'll see if ACUI will agree to just run this all on Saturday in the face of more teams preferring to have it done that way.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: NAQT SCT Northwest - U of Washington - 2/6/10

Post by Mike Bentley »

The first post has been updated with several new details. The two most important are that you should go to NAQT's site to register and that the tournament will now take place only on Saturday.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

We had 4 DI and 4 DII teams come and play at SCT at UW. UW A went undefeated and won Division I. UW B and Boise State B split two games in the prelims and played a one-game final, with UW B winning 260 to 175.

DI Results: http://doc-ent.com/quizbowl/NAQT%20SCT% ... dings.html
DII Results: http://doc-ent.com/quizbowl/NAQT%20SCT% ... dings.html

Thanks to everyone who showed up.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

For anyone who cares, the DII stats have been updated to correct an error where Molly was awarded 20 negs in one round (one would think SQBS would be smart enough to figure out more tossups were answered than heard...)
Mike Bentley
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

Thanks for hosting. I think everything went smoothly and on time. Our team said that this was the best tournament they had been a part of. (Part of that might be not having to play the UW DI team and the exciting matches against UW B, but I think the whole tournament was a great experience.)
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams