Thoughts on the South-East...

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
somerandomguy
Lulu

Thoughts on the South-East...

Post by somerandomguy »

Any comments, thoughts, opinions, power-shifts, etc.?
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

I think that maybe the southeast is a little down this year in terms of powerhouses. I mean we've done pretty well, and we're sorely missing last year's captain (Alex). He averaged around 95 or 100 ppg at Brookwood, with me getting 40 or so, and still we finished only one place further behind. It just seems that maybe some of the traditional powerhouse teams have slipped a little bit, but we shall see at nationals. Dunbar's down a little bit, but Brookwood and Walton still appear strong, as does Dorman. Really though, until a big, inclusive tournament like nationals, or maybe Cav spring, we won't see a lot.
ChopinManiac
Lulu

Post by ChopinManiac »

Walton and Dorman seem to be pretty much ruling the tourneys in the southeast thus far. I think at Brookwood they averaged around 50 points higher than the 3rd place team out of the prelimenaries and met each other in the finals. Other than that, I cannot say that I have seen any great teams, but then again, teams always develope throughout a season and im sure that this year will be no exception.
quizbowlmike
Lulu

Post by quizbowlmike »

If you're talking about teams from the southeast, you'd have to include Brookwood. They did beat Walton at their only meeting this year that I know of.

But if you want to talk about the strongest region, I think it will be Virginia/Maryland/DC again.

Has Milton been anywhere this year? I remember they had a pretty good B team last year.
My views in no way represent those of the UF College Bowl team. (by request)
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

DuPont Manual actually put up 40 more points per game in the prelims here at Vandy this fall than eventual champion Dorman did, but lost a nail-biter to Brookwood in the semis. But those two, Walton, and Brookwood were clearly the four best teams there.
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

We, (Dupont) have done pretty well, we just have an odd knack for finding ways to lose semifinal matches. We lost by ten to Walton on a sudden death question, lost by thirty to Dorman after leading for a good chunk of the match, and lost by five to Brookwood who we had beaten the previous day. I truly think that we are as good as the the consensus top three, but we have yet to win an important close game, so I could see dropping us for that reason
irmogopher
Lulu

Post by irmogopher »

At Walton Irmo beat James Island, Ezell-Harding, and Brookwood before losing to Dorman in the finals. We chose to go to Princeton instead of Brookwood (awesome two days in New York City--we saw rent) and we only lost to TJ A...we led after 5 questions too!

It's sad that I'm proud to have at least been winning after 5 questions. They mauled us in the last ten though...I have to be honest. We lost two of our starting four from last year, kept the top two, so I'm looking forward to some more Southern tournaments. I think I had attended a lot more than four tournaments at this point last year...
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

and we only lost to TJ A
Hey, give some love to the B team too. The second string is still pretty strong even after losing 2 of last year's B to graduation and one moving up to A.

I would keep an eye on Gonzaga. For a one-man team, they could definitely go pretty far this year.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Lotsa big tournaments in GA coming up soon. Henry County is Saturday, December 11 and will have a big field of quality teams. Savannah Country Day is Jan 7.

My A team (Brookwood) is 49-4 so far in 5 tournaments. We won first place at County (16 teams), South Georgia College and University of Florida. We hope to contend at Henry County on Saturday and again at Savannah Country Day on Jan 7.

I do feel that quiz bowl in the Southeast has been "down" since the 2001-2002 school year. We have fewer top national-type teams than we did during the period 1985-2002. I cannot account for this and I do not expect it to last much longer.
harshrealm
Lulu

Post by harshrealm »

Mr. Barry-
Do you know what the placings were of the rest of the county?
"Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Parkview was #2 and Duluth was #3. Meadowcreek or Collins Hill was #4, I think. Been so long I cannot remember.
ChopinManiac
Lulu

Post by ChopinManiac »

Someone above asked about Milton this year as their B-team was pretty good last year. Well, we have a pretty good team in my opinion, but unfortunately we have lost every big and/or close match we have been in this year, e.g. we were ranked 5th out of the preliminaries at Brookwood only to lose in the round of 16 to Pikeville. Anyways, since we have not been able to win the big games thus far I would not say that we are a great team, but hopefully we will be able to change that. We will be at Henry County this weekend, but minus our number two scorer who is really our only source of history.