ANNOUNCEMENT: ANGST (Andy's Non-Guerrilla Summer Tournament)

Old college threads.
OntarioQuizzer
Lulu

ANNOUNCEMENT: ANGST (Andy's Non-Guerrilla Summer Tournament)

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

Announcing ANGST (Andy's Non-Guerrilla Summer Tournament):

EDITORS

This set will be edited by me, Andy Saunders, with other subject editors to be announced.

QUESTIONS

This set will feature, hopefully, at least fifteen packets of twenty tossups and twenty bonuses. I will be editing questions down to be no longer than seven full lines of 10-point Times New Roman font. Submitted questions may be longer than this, but if you're giving me a question of longer than 10 lines, there's something that you're not doing properly.

PACKET SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

WHO MUST SUBMIT A PACKET?

Any collegiate team playing at the main site in Eastern Canada with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2009 is required to submit a packet in order to participate. VETO does not count as a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament for the purpose of calculation. If you are confused about this requirement, feel free to contact me. I have worded the requirements in this way so that teams that will have to write packets for events in 2010-2011 will get further experience in packet submission prior to having to submit packets in the fall of 2010.

PACKET COMPOSITION

5/5 literature (1/1 North American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 1/1 World, 1/1 additional of any category)
5/5 history (1/1 North American, 3/3 European [of which one question is on British history and one is on ancient history], 1/1 World)
5/5 science (1/1 physics, 1/1 chemistry, 1/1 biology, 1/1 other science [math, CS, earth science, astrophysics; don't do two of the same], 1/1 additional of any category or difficult-to-categorize topics)
3/3 RMP (1/1 mythology, 1/1 religion, 1/1 philosophy; try to ensure that your mythology is about dudes and deeds and your religion is about worship)
3/3 fine arts (1/1 painting, 1/1 non-opera music, 1/1 other arts [opera, architecture, sculpture, dance, photography, film, jazz)
2/2 social science (at least one question must be geography; no more than 1/1 can be geography)
1/1 trash
24/24 total

Please have no more than 1/1 of your packet be of topics that a Canadian would have significantly more knowledge of than an American.

In terms of difficulty, please aim for a difficulty level slightly above that of ACF Fall.

PACKET SUBMISSION SCHEDULE

As I am hoping to have this tournament ready for play by June 30th (for a tournament in mid-July 2010), please adhere to the following submission schedule:

5/2 -$35 (-$50 if you are not required to submit)
5/24 -$20 ($-35 if you are not required to submit)
6/13 0 (-$15 if you are not required to submit)
6/20 +$20
6/27 +$40

MIRRORS

Any circuit looking for a novice-level (or elite high-school level) summer event is welcome to mirror this event. Please contact me if you are interested. Teams at mirror sites are welcome to, but not required to, submit a packet.

Site details will be available in the coming weeks. If you are interested in hosting this (either as the main site in Eastern Canada or a mirror elsewhere), submitting a packet, editing, playtesting, etc., please let me know by email at [email protected].
Andy Saunders
formerly Brock University
(former) general helper, University of Guelph quiz bowl
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: ANGST (Andy's Non-Guerrilla Summer Tournament)

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

Yay!
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
OntarioQuizzer
Lulu

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

The Eastern Canada site will be the University of Guelph. Date information coming shortly.
Andy Saunders
formerly Brock University
(former) general helper, University of Guelph quiz bowl
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:The Eastern Canada site will be the University of Guelph. Date information coming shortly.
Anything more about that date?
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

There are a few people from Michigan (and some high schoolers) who may be interested in this. And we could write a packet.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

Can you post more info re: cost? ie. Starting amount, discounts, minimum, etc.
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:ready for play by June 30th

6/27 +$40
In the aftermath of Hybrid editing, I'm going to suggest that you're stating the impossible.

Anyway, I have non-qb writing commitments in April, but I hope to have a packet by 5/24 or 6/13. I also hope that there will be a separate packet from real Ottawa students.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Just to reiterate, some members from Michigan (and possibly some members of Detroit Catholic Central HS) will definitely be interested in this. We're writing a packet and hope to get it in by the early May deadline.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

Boise State is interested in this or VETO, but writing two packets might be a bit much.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Andy, I sent you an email about this; did you by any chance receive it?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Is there a date for this? From personal experience, I don't write things before I know if I can come to something (which I need to know a date for), but maybe that's me. Anyways, I'm slightly interested.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

nalin wrote:Is there a date for this? From personal experience, I don't write things before I know if I can come to something (which I need to know a date for), but maybe that's me. Anyways, I'm slightly interested.
I am also interested in making the trip up to Guelph, so information regarding date/location would be useful.

Thanks,
GK
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

There'll likely be a second (and possibly a third) group from Michigan. As everyone else has said, some more concrete information about the date and base fees would be appreciated!

Also, are there any eligibility restrictions (say, for people who'll be grad students next year)?
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

sds wrote:Also, are there any eligibility restrictions (say, for people who'll be grad students next year)?
I talked to Andy recently about this, and I believe that he told me that this was an open tournament.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Benjammin?
Kimahri

Post by Benjammin? »

Would anyone be interested in joining a three man team from Michigan? The team consists of two soon-to-be-sophomores and Phil Guan. We've got about three-fourths of the packet taken care of.

Ben Forster
University of Michigan
Ben Forster
PHHS 2009
University of Michigan 2013
goblue16
Lulu

Post by goblue16 »

Any news on a final date and price for this yet?
Scot Putzig
Michigan 2010
Notre Dame Law 2013
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Benjammin? wrote:Would anyone be interested in joining a three man team from Michigan? The team consists of two soon-to-be-sophomores and Phil Guan. We've got about three-fourths of the packet taken care of.

Ben Forster
University of Michigan
i'm interested, depending on the date. Also, I can't write lit.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

Word from Andy is July 10. There's a Facebook event now ("ANGST 2010 at Guelph") to help figure teams out.
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

bmcke wrote:Word from Andy is July 10. There's a Facebook event now ("ANGST 2010 at Guelph") to help figure teams out.
I'm hoping to run a Midwest mirror of this and sent a couple of emails to that effect--do you know if Andy is still looking for mirrors as well as whether he's interested in freelance packets?
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

Charbroil wrote: I'm hoping to run a Midwest mirror of this
Would attend.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Charbroil wrote:I'm hoping to run a Midwest mirror of this
Where?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:
Charbroil wrote:I'm hoping to run a Midwest mirror of this
Where?
At St. Charles Community College; I would probably require some degree of outside staff (probably by creating a schedule with byes and having teams staff on their byes), but since no one else seems to have suggested a midwest mirror and I'd like to see one given the large number of people/teams that might come, I thought it might be a good idea.
Charles Hang

Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
In terms of difficulty, please aim for a difficulty level slightly above that of ACF Fall.
Could this be a little clearer? I.e. are you looking for something like EFT (more difficult than ACF fall, but overall easy answer selection) or are you looking for something like 2007 Penn Bowl or 2007 Titanomachy? It'd be awesome to know what the hard upper-bound for this tournament should be so that I won't cross that mark.

--Gautam
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Is Andy going to give any sort of detail about this tournament - cost, logistical discounts, date? He hasn't posted here in three months, hasn't logged in in a month, and hasn't replied to an email I sent on Monday outlining this.

My Guelph hotel of choice has a history of raising their prices, punishing the procrastinators (I've already missed out on the HST deadline, so that's another ~$10 per night). I'd like to make reservations sooner rather than later.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

I've been having some trouble contacting Andy also. Just for the record, he did ask me to book rooms for the tournament, which has been done. So while I don't know what the deal with the rest of ANGST, there's space reserved for this to happen in the MacKinnon building. I think he's been pretty busy lately, but I get the impression that he'll be dedicating lots of time towards this soon.

Also, I doubt I'll be able to attend this given my work schedule, but if someone needs an extra teammate for question writing or some such, feel free to send me an email at the address on the right.

EDIT: Oh, and from what I've been told, this, evidently, is on July 10th.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE
Ontario Veterinary College, co 2015

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

There will be separate packets from me and Brendan (so presumably we will play on separate teams). There will be an Ottawa team that, I believe, fits the "novice" definition (assuming that Aaron plays with me instead of them), but I have told them to write.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10

So, if we haven't heard this tournament is actually happening, how do we know if we should write a packet? At what point is it safe to say this event is canceled by virtue of the fact the TD is not in contact with anybody?
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

Yeah, it'd be nice to actually hear about the fee structure and field, now that it's ~1 month until the tournament.

So far, 3 teams from (the state of Michigan) have submitted packets, and are planning to attend:
Michael Hausinger / Andy Kravis / Scot Putzig / me
Bryan Berend / Kurtis Droge / Neil Gurram (?) / Libo Zeng
Ben Forster / Phil Guan / Saul Hankin / Nalin Lalwani (?)

The event listing on Facebook is here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/eve ... 9632560398. At the very least, Andy has indicated there that he's attending.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Huma Zafar and myself from Waterloo are teaming up with Will Nediger and Gautam Kandlikar for this
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

My team is Yohan Yee (McMaster), plus probably some Ottawa players who didn't write.

Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

According to RUMOURS (since I can't see private Facebook groups), the field includes (but is not limited to):

3 Michigan teams
Waterloo + Will + Gautam
Guelph
Ottawa "novices"*
Me + Aaron K + others*
Brendan + Yohan + others*
Britney + Jordan P + the elusive James Cooper

* if Ottawa gets another driver

I think only McMaster and Toronto are choosing VETO over ANGST (unless they're doing both).
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Any chance we could maybe get a Northeast mirror of this? I figure there are enough people hanging around in the summer in the Boston area that we might get a nice singles event out of this.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

I'm TFing a summer school course so I may get a good idea of what rooms are open and unused over the summer; if so, I'd be happy to have something. (Though I don't know how many people would want to staff--ideally we'd be able to self-staff most of the rooms using byes?)
Andrew Watkins
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

grapesmoker wrote:Any chance we could maybe get a Northeast mirror of this? I figure there are enough people hanging around in the summer in the Boston area that we might get a nice singles event out of this.
This is a possible event for ECSO 2 in New York, which Yetman just informed me he could get rooms for in Hunter College.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Morraine Man wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:Any chance we could maybe get a Northeast mirror of this? I figure there are enough people hanging around in the summer in the Boston area that we might get a nice singles event out of this.
This is a possible event for ECSO 2 in New York, which Yetman just informed me he could get rooms for in Hunter College.
That would be fantastic.
Jerry Vinokurov
BGSO
Tidus

Post by BGSO »

I've been looking for an excuse to visit a friend at MIT and I would be willing to use this as that excuse. I would need a ride from Cambridge to NY though.
David Garb-
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UIUC-'13

Former member of the most dysfunctional scholastic bowl team in Illinois.
(11:23:30 PM) garb: Wait, are you talking about the porn or the reeses?
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

BGSO wrote:I've been looking for an excuse to visit a friend at MIT and I would be willing to use this as that excuse. I would need a ride from Cambridge to NY though.
If this happens I'll be making the drive, so you could probably catch a ride with me. Worst case scenario, take the Chinatown bus.
Jerry Vinokurov
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

I'd like to try and attend the NYC site as a free agent. It will depend on finances and transportation.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)

I would definitely be going to NYC.

bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

bsmith wrote:* if Ottawa gets another driver
Which is fairly certain now. Ottawa-ish teams will be:
Me/Aaron/Thea
Natalie/Kathy/Tina/Jeff
Brendan/Yohan/possible 10th Ottawa player
Britney/James/Jordan

with packets for each, I believe.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

There's a lot of commitment for a tournament happening pretty soon that we've received virtually no communication about. I hope people aren't setting their expectations high.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

I was able to make contact with Andy Saunders today through some facebook stalking and with his permission here are the relevant parts of the conversation I had with him about his set, with things actually important to a lot of you being in bold:

11:14pmAndy
In terms of having the set ready, my final packet deadline is June 27
11:14pmMe
but you have like
room reservations and everything set up right
11:14pmAndy
In Guelph? Yes
11:14pmMe
great
so it is in fact still happening at the main mirror
11:15pmAndy
Chris Greenwood handled that for me a month ago
11:15pmMe
cool cool
and how open to mirrors are you?
11:16pmAndy
At this point, I am, but I'd like them to occur on or after July 10th
11:17pmMe
alright, sounds good
2 more questions or prompts or whatever
11:17pmAndy
Sure
11:18pmMe
so, have you thought about and set tournament fees yet
11:18pmAndy
I have thought about, though I have not set them outright.
11:18pmMe
what would your general estimate at the time be
for just like a regular team of 4 people
obviously nothings set in stone
11:19pmAndy
Again, I really don't know. I do think I'll have something out in the next 48 hours, though
11:19pmMe
alright
when you do that
make sure to post it to the forums
there are like lots of doubts and questions in your thread
and if you could reassure other people like you have me in this brief conversation

it would just be freaking fantastic to say the least
11:20pmAndy
I'll be honest
I haven't looked at HSQB in awhile
if you want to post that you've spoken to me
11:21pmMe
i will certainly do that
11:21pmAndy
by all means
but like when you said, i'll have something out in the next few days or week or whatever
just make sure
you post it to hsqb
because thats where most of your audience is
Of course
alright
so sorry for being annoying and everything
but thanks for having this conversation
if anything, it's my fault
11:22pmMe
i look forward to playing your set at some point!
11:22pmAndy
and I'm guilty of being very busy as well
11:22pmMe
right, being in the middle of finals, i can certainly understand that
11:22pmAndy
Mine was work-related, unfortunately
Me
alright well
thanks for having this conversation with me
it was fairly productive
but unfortunately
i have finals tomorrow
so i should probably be studying for them
11:28pmAndy
Good luck!
11:28pmMe
alas!
so once again thanks andy
11:29pmAndy
No problem, Nolan
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Camelopardalis
Wakka

Post by Camelopardalis »

adosreme wrote:Huma Zafar and ... Will Nediger
Well, there go your lit tossups.
Chris Greenwood
Lisgar '08, Guelph '15
Member | ONQBA, PACE
Ontario Veterinary College, co 2015

Visit ONQBA on Facebook!
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

There are travel reservations in place for the Ottawa contingent for this tournament, so it will be happening in some form or another.

If Andy has not provided any clarity by June 26, this tournament will be hijacked, likely by me. I'll come up with details if this situation actually arrives.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

I talked to Andy on Sunday, and he told me that this tournament was indeed happening on July 10.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

bsmith wrote: If Andy has not provided any clarity by June 26, this tournament will be hijacked, likely by me. I'll come up with details if this situation actually arrives.
Would said hijacking include the offering of questions for mirroring? I imagine there are a number of hosts who would be grateful if that were so.
Charles Hang

Can someone very strongly make it clear to Andy that he needs to significantly modify his future tournament directing behaviors?

bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

There's too much mystery around this. Andy seems to be making no plea for packets, despite hoping for 15 and losing all chances of mirror contributions. There are no co-editors (or else they are also being silent). There is no admission fee yet. There are at least 2 dozen people (Ottawa-area and across the border) that would need to make significant travel plans for this, yet a date only materialized out of Facebook chats. He has ignored 5 emails from me about the tournament (including a packet), but was still able to send me unrelated Reach updates.

This is not clarity. Unless I see strong opposition from the attending teams, I will still hold Andy to the June 26 deadline I mentioned previously.
Charbroil wrote:Would said hijacking include the offering of questions for mirroring? I imagine there are a number of hosts who would be grateful if that were so.
That would likely be the case, but I'd rather get responses from Andy... this tournament is supposed to be the last time I play.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

I have little idea what's going on excepting what I've read here, but I've heard nothing from Andy since March 17 (about anything), despite my offers to, at the least, double-check the set for stuff like repeats (which, when I first made the offer, he said he'd be glad to have someone doing).

EDIT: Should this tournament end up being hijacked by others, this offer stands.
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

bsmith wrote:There are travel reservations in place for the Ottawa contingent for this tournament, so it will be happening in some form or another.
Ditto for the Michigan contingent; I already booked hotel rooms. I'm fully prepared to help organize a guerrilla tournament if need be.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14