Weekend of Quizbowl (3/6+7/10)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Nick
Wakka

Weekend of Quizbowl (3/6+7/10)

Post by Nick »

On behalf of the Clemson University Quizbowl Team, I am pleased to announce that this year’s Weekend of Quizbowl will be occuring this spring on March 6th and 7th, 2010 at our beautiful campus in Clemson, South Carolina. The Weekend of Quizbowl will include two main team tournaments, one on both Saturday and Sunday, as well as a Literature Singles tournament on Saturday night. This year’s Weekend of Quizbowl will be completely associated with the Clemson Team and not other quizbowl organizations as was the case in previous years.

Format:
The Saturday tournament will exemplify the new PACE NSC format (20 tossups with powers, each with 30-point bonuses and bouncebacks) while the Sunday tournament will be an official NAQT event using NAQT questions and their timed format. All teams will be guaranteed at least 9 games on both Saturday and Sunday and the playoff structure on both days will involve some sort of round robin format so as to guarantee the maximum number of games between the various teams. The specific format will be announced once a final field has been nailed down.

Question Providers:
The questions for Saturday will be a mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament. Previous versions of this set can be found at http://collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com/. The questions for Sunday will be the NAQT Sectionals Division II set. The Saturday Night Literature Singles Tournament will be a mirror of a Dan Donohue’s Lit Singles tournament.

Eligibility:
Because we are aiming for this tournament to be comprised exclusively of skilled and/or top-level teams who intend to compete in some form on the national scene, we will only be accepting registration from teams that have qualified for either the PACE NSC or the NAQT HSNCT. There will not be a “novice” or “un-qualified” bracket at this tournament. B-teams who have qualified for one or both of those two events are certainly eligible to attend as well.

In case this point was not clear: a team need only have qualified for eitherHSNCT or NSC in order to attend either/both of the two tournaments. It is not the case that say, a team who has only qualified for HSNCT would only be allowed to compete on Sunday. Also, because we feel a little bad about prohibiting people from playing quizbowl, exceptions to this eligibility requirement may be granted per request, especially in the case of B-teams and teams traveling long distances.

At this time, we only feel confident enough to properly support a 16-team field. We hope and expect that this number will increase, however, as we acquire more staff, which at this point is our only limiting variable. (shout out to qb community: come read!)

Schedule:
Both the Saturday and Sunday events will begin registration at 8:00 AM and the team meeting at 8:30 AM, with the first round beginning no later than 9:00 AM. The specific buildings being used for this tournament will be announced closer to the date of the tournament. We have every intention of concluding the final game on Sunday by 5:30PM and we are confident with the timed format that we can accomplish this goal.

Registration Fee Structure (per Team per day):
Base fee: $85 per team per day.
Each functioning buzzer is a $5 discount per buzzer per day.
Each experienced moderator is a $30 discount per day.
Each team traveling an excess of 300 miles receives a $20 discount per day.
Additionally:
B-teams receive a $15 discount per day. (i.e. B team base fee is $70)
Teams who attend both days of the Weekend of Quizbowl receive a $20 discount.

Receipt of a completed form of the registration sheet attached to an email or sent through the postal service is the official reservation of a team’s place in the tournament. Confirmation emails providing all preliminary information concerning directions, rules, format, and field will be sent out via e-mail one week prior to the date of the tournament.
WoQ reg form.doc
Registration Form
(50.5 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Details regarding the Lit Singles tournament including times, fees, and locations, will be released at a later date. We would like to hear who would be interested, however, and will likely keep a running field in this thread.

If you'd like to contact us via email, you can do so at [email protected] or [email protected]. We hope to provide a great event for the quizbowl community and we encourage teams from far and wide to come out and compete. Thanks!

Saturday Field
Alcona
Brookwood
Dorman A
Dorman B
Dorman C
Maggie Walker
Southside A
Southside B
Southside Christian

Sunday Field
Alcona
Brookwood
Chattahoochee
Dorman A
Dorman B
Dorman C
Southside A

Has expressed interest
Alpharetta
Spartanburg
Providence Day
Central Gwinnett
Last edited by Nick on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:23 am, edited 13 times in total.
Nick
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Re: Weekend of Quizbowl (3/6+7/10)

Post by Nuclear Densometer Test »

Nick wrote: Format:
The Saturday tournament will exemplify the new PACE NSC format (20 tossups with powers, each with 30-point bonuses and bouncebacks) while the Sunday tournament will be an official NAQT event using NAQT questions and their timed format. All teams will be guaranteed at least 9 games on both Saturday and Sunday and the playoff structure on both days will involve some sort of round robin format so as to guarantee the maximum number of games between the various teams. The specific format will be announced once a final field has been nailed down.

This is excellent. I can almost guarantee that Southside will bring 2 teams.

The only problem i see is that Norcross's Prison Bowl mirror is being hosted on the same day.
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

Fun fact: The "l" comes before the "g" in my last name.
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

After much discussion, both the Clemson and Norcross teams have decided that it is in their best interest to host their respective tournaments on the weekend of March 6th. With respect to the success of the Weekend of Quizbowl, we wish Norcross the best.
Nick
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

Excellent news!!

Dorman will be there with two teams. We've been to the previous two iterations of the Weekend of Quizbowl and had a great time. I'm glad to see that this event will continue and would like to encourage nationally competitive teams from across the country to attend. Let's make this a great event!
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

We might have considered this if it were in Virginia. This is simply too far away. Good luck to the great teams attending.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Chattahoochee is also interested and will likely send at least 1 team. I am glad to hear y'all are hosting this, and that it is so close to us this year. Best of luck.
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

Can a team participate in just the Saturday or Sunday portions of this tournament? If so, Central Gwinnett would definitely be interested in participating in the timed NAQT rounds on Sunday.

Cathy Hirsch
Coach
Central Gwinnett H.S.
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

centralhs wrote:Can a team participate in just the Saturday or Sunday portions of this tournament? If so, Central Gwinnett would definitely be interested in participating in the timed NAQT rounds on Sunday.
Absolutely. We'd love to have you.
Nick
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

It is quite conceivable that the Hooch may do this
centralhs wrote:Can a team participate in just the Saturday or Sunday portions of this tournament? If so, Central Gwinnett would definitely be interested in participating in the timed NAQT rounds on Sunday.
as well. I will let you know for sure as things develop. Thanks!
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

It has just come to our attention that we will be missing 4 players on Sunday for various reasons. So sign up only 1 Southside team for the NAQT set.
Thanks
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Nick wrote:On behalf of the Clemson University Quizbowl Team, I am pleased to announce that this year’s Weekend of Quizbowl will be occuring this spring on March 6th and 7th, 2010 at our beautiful campus in Clemson, South Carolina.
This deeply saddens me. I won't personally be able to attend on Saturday because of my aunt's wedding.
Most likely, our one team on Sunday will consist of me and some B team folks.

EDIT: This is no longer accurate. Looking forward to playing both days, although SHS's regular A team will most likely only make its appearance on Saturday.
Last edited by Duncan Idaho on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Looking at the field, is this tournament still going to happen?
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Dark Ages: Fae wrote:Looking at the field, is this tournament still going to happen?
As the tournament is still 2 months out, I'm sure there are teams (like mine) that are thinking about it/planning things and have yet to register.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:
Dark Ages: Fae wrote:Looking at the field, is this tournament still going to happen?
As the tournament is still 2 months out, I'm sure there are teams (like mine) that are thinking about it/planning things and have yet to register.
Also, the field hasn't been updated in a month so that might have something to do with the low number of committed teams.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

Just an update, yes, this tournament is definitely still happening. We expect that as teams begin to hash out their spring schedule, we will get more official registration forms. The list of registered teams only includes those from whom I've gotten a form, and not those who have just mentioned that they might/will come. In addition to the few signed up, there are a few teams that I've heard from and a few that I expect will attend but have yet to say so, so yes, this tournament is still happening.

Also, I have updated the original thread with a few points of clarification, specifically in the eligibility section.

William, we both know Alpharetta should be at this touranment, so you should go ahead and sign up. Also, if you'd like to tentatively announce your intent to play in the lit singles tournament, that might get the ball rolling on that. You too, Amit.

I will be emailing specific coaches in the next week or so, but all that you can do to spread the word would be much appreciated. This should turn out to be a great event!
Nick
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Go ahead and put Brookwood down for ONE team. I will mail the reg form and bring the check to check-in on March 6. We'll be at Saturday and Sunday's events.
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Nick wrote:Just an update, yes, this tournament is definitely still happening. We expect that as teams begin to hash out their spring schedule, we will get more official registration forms. The list of registered teams only includes those from whom I've gotten a form, and not those who have just mentioned that they might/will come. In addition to the few signed up, there are a few teams that I've heard from and a few that I expect will attend but have yet to say so, so yes, this tournament is still happening.

Also, I have updated the original thread with a few points of clarification, specifically in the eligibility section.

William, we both know Alpharetta should be at this touranment, so you should go ahead and sign up. Also, if you'd like to tentatively announce your intent to play in the lit singles tournament, that might get the ball rolling on that. You too, Amit.

I will be emailing specific coaches in the next week or so, but all that you can do to spread the word would be much appreciated. This should turn out to be a great event!

Alright. I am now expressing interest for the lit singles tournament.
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Any new field updates? Thanks.

Currently, we are trying to determine whether it would be better to split the weekend between Norcross (on Saturday) and Clemson (on Sunday), or spend the whole weekend in Clemson. The respective fields will likely determine our course of action. Right now, both fields appear quite strong so it could be a coin-flip. Seeing as how this weekend (3/6-7) will probably be our final tune-up before the GATA Varsity State Championship at the end of March, we want to get the most "bang for our buck" so to speak.

Regardless, put us down for 1 team on Sunday. We can bring 2 buzzers systems. If you need a moderator, I could do that too.
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Dark Ages: Fae wrote:
Alright. I am now expressing interest for the lit singles tournament.
Ditto.
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

I just wanted to announce some specifics regarding the Literature Singles tournament on Saturday night.

Assuming all goes well with the Saturday (MUT) tournament schedule, the Lit Singles should begin at 8PM and last until about 10:30. The questions being used for this is still a mirror of Dan's Lit set from December with the addition of a few rounds extracted from Chipola's CCCT set. Assuming I can successfully whittle down the latter (taking out non-lit and repeats), there should be at least 5 guaranteed rounds (of 20 questions) for prelims, and a minimum of 3 rounds for playoffs (which may have more than 20 questions). The top four places will each be awarded books in addition to second place receiving a $10 Barnes and Noble giftcard and first place receiving a $25 giftcard. The cost for playing will be $17.

The field for the Lit Singles will now be tracked in this post. As it stands:

Adil Khan, Chattahoochee
A. Mitchell Palmer, Northside
Benjamin Franklin, Northside
Charlie Mingus, Northside
Connie Prater, Chattahoochee
Gregory Peacock, Dorman
Mariya Mohammed, Dorman
Masuma Alimohamed, Dorman
Meghan Clusserath, Dorman
Rishi Rachavelpula, Chattahoochee
Robert Lawson, Dorman
Sam Abrams, Dorman
Siddharth Dhingra, Chattahoochee
Spartan High person, Spartanburg

Total: 14

We'd prefer to have the field locked down before Saturday night, so the earlier you tell us, the better. Thanks!
Last edited by Nick on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Is Tommy not playing the lit singles?
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

List of barcode games wrote:Is Tommy not playing the lit singles?
I'm pretty sure Tommy's already heard the set.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Dan-Don's? He wasn't at the original site was he?
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

Well, he wasn't at our site at New Trier.
Last edited by jdeliverer on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

IIRC, there was a mirror at Gov back in December.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

The saturday questions will now be a mirror of UGA's Classic City Classic from this past November, and registration will be open to any and all teams able to attend. The registration fee has also dropped significantly for teams registering in these last few days. If you are interested, please contact me at [email protected] or [email protected] about details. Thanks!
Nick
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Nick,

We are gonna try our best to get there in time for the Lit singles on Saturday night. However, even if we do make it (and I think we will), we will only have 4 players available to play, not all 5 that signed up. I am making our final teams for this weekend's tournaments after practice today, so I will have the kids email you tonight or tomorrow to confirm their attendance. Looking forward to it. Thanks!
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Any word on the four teams "expressing interest"?
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Unfortunately, Maggie Walker needed to withdraw from this event. Apparently there has not been a field update lately.

Hopefully, we will be able to compete with some of the teams later in the year at nationals if not sooner somewhere.
John Barnes
Maggie Walker Governor's School

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Southside will at most be able to bring one team to the Saturday event. We will still field one team for the Sunday event, but that team will consist only of Neil and me.

sydchez
Kimahri

Post by sydchez »

Spartanburg is participating on Sunday, and I and another member will be doing the lit singles, I believe.
S. Shea
Spartanburg High School A Team 2007-2010
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Due to many recent drops, the Saturday team event will not be happening. However, the Saturday night lit and Sunday team tournaments will still be occurring.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

ClemsonQB wrote:Due to many recent drops, the Saturday team event will not be happening. However, the Saturday night lit and Sunday team tournaments will still be occurring.
So, did they in fact occur? Any results or stats?
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Mariya from Dorman beat Sam from Dorman in the finals of the lit singles tournament. I believe the score was 200-100.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

What about that whole tournament on the D2 set thing?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

I wasn't able to stay for the playoffs, but I believe there was a three way tie between Dorman A, Dorman B, and Southside (all with one loss) after prelims.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

The top 4 after the 7 team complete round robin prelims were reseeded for the playoffs, based on record and average points. Those 4 then played another round robin. Dorman A went 3-0, Dorman B went 2-1, Chattahoochee went 1-2, and Southside went 0-3. I believe the top 4 finishes were

1. Dorman A (8-1 overall - lost to Southside in prelims)
2. Dorman B (6-3 overall - lost to Dorman A in prelims and playoffs and to Chattahoochee in prelims)
3. Southside (5-4 overall - lost to Dorman B in prelims and all 3 teams in playoffs)
4. Chattahoochee (4-5 overall - lost to Dorman A, Southside, and Spartanburg in prelims; lost to Dorman A and B in playoffs)

I am unsure about the overall records for Dorman B and Southside, but I am pretty sure I have the correct records for Dorman A and Chattahoochee. Mr. Huff, please correct me if I am wrong. Ben, feel free to do the same for Southside.

Thanks to Clemson for hosting this event.
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

RountreeCHS wrote:The top 4 after the 7 team complete round robin prelims were reseeded for the playoffs, based on record and average points. Those 4 then played another round robin. Dorman A went 3-0, Dorman B went 2-1, Chattahoochee went 1-2, and Southside went 0-3. I believe the top 4 finishes were

1. Dorman A (8-1 overall - lost to Southside in prelims)
2. Dorman B (6-3 overall - lost to Dorman A in prelims and playoffs and to Chattahoochee in prelims)
3. Southside (5-4 overall - lost to Dorman B in prelims and all 3 teams in playoffs)
4. Chattahoochee (4-5 overall - lost to Dorman A, Southside, and Spartanburg in prelims; lost to Dorman A and B in playoffs)

I am unsure about the overall records for Dorman B and Southside, but I am pretty sure I have the correct records for Dorman A and Chattahoochee. Mr. Huff, please correct me if I am wrong. Ben, feel free to do the same for Southside.

Thanks to Clemson for hosting this event.
You got the record right for Southside, which consisted of just Neil and me.

Are stats going to be posted? Freddy told me that he was unable to download SQBS, but following the tournament I gave it to him.

Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Ben Cole wrote:Are stats going to be posted?

Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Ben Cole wrote:
Ben Cole wrote:Are stats going to be posted?
*cough* http://results.scobo.net/ClemsonQB *cough*
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

Yeah, sorry about that. The combined stats are also in NAQT's stats database.
Nick
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Nick wrote:Yeah, sorry about that. The combined stats are also in NAQT's stats database.
No problem. Sorry if I sounded rude; sitting around with nothing to do because your wisdom teeth have been pulled out will do that to you.

Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

So, did my lit set get played?
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Yes, it did. We left the Norcross Prison-Bowl mirror and made it to Clemson on Saturday night just in time to hear the set. My kids really enjoyed it. Nice job Dan!
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

RountreeCHS wrote:Yes, it did. We left the Norcross Prison-Bowl mirror and made it to Clemson on Saturday night just in time to hear the set. My kids really enjoyed it. Nice job Dan!
Why thank you.