Virginia HSAPQ All-Star Team

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Virginia HSAPQ All-Star Team

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

My name is George Berry, and I am coordinating the Virginia All-star team for the 2010 HSAPQ National All-Star Academic Tournament at Vanderbilt University to be held on June 12th and 13th. For those unfamiliar with the concept, the idea is for the best team of up to 6 quizbowl players, either from the same school or from different schools all located in the state of Virginia. Obviously, Virginia has never sent a team to this tournament before, so this may prove a rough transition. As such, any coach or player who has advice, suggestions, contributions, or questions about the event, is asked to email me at [email protected].

Details such as cost and selection process will be posted here.

I am looking for 1-2 active high school coaches to partner with me in running this, and probably another chaperone or two to accompany us to Vanderbilt. I'm hoping that at least part of the trip can be subsidized by some school system or organization, and will have more details after further communication and coordination.

Thank You

George Berry
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: Virginia HSAPQ All-Star Team

Hey so virginia high schoolers who are interested in playing in this tournament should email me to let me specifically know that you want to play in this. Once I know how many are interested I can work something out accordingly.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Ok, so as I understand it there are more than six people interested in attending this from Virginia. If we have to have a try-out would people rather have the try-out:

A) at UVA's NAQT States on 3/27 in Charlottesville
B) at some other event coming up fairly soon
C) at hold off until spring break and do it some spring break afternoon

Also, if you are interested in playing NASAT and have not already contacted me to let me know that about NASAT, please email me.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

I'd vote for A or B. People might be traveling and/or college visiting over spring break, so it seems easiest to do it sometime when we're all in one place anyway.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Yeah, I agree. NAQT States seems like the best option that's coming up reasonably soon - the next possibility would probably be VCU Season Finale which isn't until late April.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

Indeed, A or B would be the best choice. I'm sure a lot of schools across the state have taken away much of spring break due to all of the snow days that must be made up, and as Sarah said, a lot of seniors will probably be using any spring break days they do have to visit colleges.
Charlie Perkins
Coach - Honaker High School 2015-2021
W&M 2014