Albus Dumbledore Memorial (4/17/2010) @ IVCC (Oglesby, IL)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Albus Dumbledore Memorial (4/17/2010) @ IVCC (Oglesby, IL)

Post by Stephen Colbert »

This is a preliminary announcement for the inaugural Albus Dumbledore Memorial scholastic bowl tournament, a mirror of the 2010 Middle School Collaborative Tournament, held on Saturday, April 17th, 2010 at Illinois Valley Community College (IVCC) in Oglesby, Illinois (near the intersection of I-80 & I-39). The questions, written in a collaborative effort by many of the nation’s top high school and college quizbowl players, consist of rounds with 20 pyramidal toss-ups and 20 three-part bonuses (asked/answered one part at a time). The target audience of this tournament includes teams from throughout central Illinois, especially those with little or no previous exposure to pyramidal toss-ups and ACF-style bonuses. Nonetheless, teams outside of central Illinois or those more experienced in this format are still encouraged to attend. Teams already registered for the Barrington Invitational Tournament VII cannot attend the Albus Dumbledore Memorial, as both tournaments will use the same questions. Invitations will be mailed on February 1st, 2010. If your team does not receive an invitation, please contact me by e-mail and I will send you one. Interest may be expressed in this thread or by e-mail; however, your team will only be registered if I receive your entry by mail.

Format:
The field for this tournament will be tentatively limited to 24 teams. All teams will be guaranteed 8 matches. The exact format will depend on the size of the field. If the maximum of 24 teams is reached, then each team will be randomly placed into one of four pools and play five preliminary matches in the morning. In the afternoon, teams will be re-bracketed and play an additional three playoff matches. The winner of each preliminary pool will be placed in the championship pool. The runner-up from each preliminary pool will be placed in the first consolation pool, and so on. This format provides teams with the opportunity to play meaningful and competitive playoff matches against new opponents with similar records and abilities in the afternoon. Teams will be ranked by record within their playoff pools and trophies will be awarded to the four teams in the championship pool and to the winner of each consolation bracket.

Schedule:
Teams should plan to arrive at Illinois Valley Community College to check-in from 7:30 AM – 8:00 AM on the morning of Saturday, April 17th, 2010. A brief meeting for players and coaches will be held from 8:00 AM – 8:30 AM at which an abbreviated demonstration match will occur. The preliminary matches will take place from approximately 8:30 AM – 12:15 PM. After the conclusion of the preliminary matches, lunch will be served, playoff assignments will be announced, and an all-tournament team will be named. The playoff matches will commence after lunch from 1:00 PM – 3:15 PM. A brief awards ceremony will be held and the tournament should conclude around 3:30 PM.

Rules:
This tournament will not follow standard IESA rules; instead, the rules will be a hybrid of those set forth by both the IESA and ACF (the most widely accepted format used by collegiate, high school, and middle school teams across the nation). This format has been tried successfully at countless high school tournaments in Illinois as well as at middle school tournaments including Northwestern University’s 2009 Junior Wildcat. Complete rules will be mailed along with the invitations to this tournament. Please contact me by e-mail if you have questions about the format or if you’d like free practice questions to help your team prepare.

The entry fee for the tournament is $60. A $5 discount will be applied to teams who provide a functioning buzzer system (this discount can only be used once, even if a team brings multiple buzzer systems). Additionally, another $5 discount will be applied to teams who register before the early registration deadline of March 1st, 2010. Schools are highly encouraged to enter multiple teams. The entry fee for a second team is $30 (discounts do not apply) and there is no fee for any additional teams from the same school. All registration forms and checks must be received no later than April 1st, 2010. Team rosters can be included with your registration or e-mailed to me prior to the tournament.

Further information about the tournament format, lunch, and directions/parking will be sent via e-mail after your team has registered. All communication, apart from the invitation/registration, will be done by e-mail. Please let me know if you have any questions. I wish you and your team success in the upcoming season and hope to see you all in April!

Thanks,

Nathan L. Hollinsaid
[email protected]

Illinois Valley Community College*
815 N. Orlando Smith Street
Oglesby, IL 61348

*Please request an invitation for my mailing address. Entries mailed directly to IVCC may not reach me.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Re: Albus Dumbledore Memorial (4/17/2010) @ IVCC (Oglesby, IL)

Current field for the 2010 Albus Dumbledore Memorial:

(Registration forms and entry fees have been received from teams in bold.)

Crete Monee Middle School (Univesity Park, IL)
Dimmick Grade School (LaSalle, IL)
Fieldcrest Middle School (Wenona, IL) x 2
Flanagan Grade School (Flanagan, IL) x 2
Freeport Junior High School (Freeport, IL)
Holy Trinity Catholic School (Bloomington, IL)
King's Academy (West Chicago, IL)
PORTA Junior High School (Petersburg, IL) x 2
Princeville Grade School (Princeville, IL) x 2
RHEMA Christian Academy (Streator, IL)
Richland Grade School (Crest Hill, IL)
Serena Grade School (Serena, IL)
Stephen Mack Middle School (Rockton, IL) x 2
Sycamore Middle School (Sycamore, IL) x 2
Last edited by Stephen Colbert on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Nathan Hollinsaid
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

If you have any staff coming down from the Chicago area, let me know and I'll see if I can get a ride with them. I'd love to moderate for this, I just don't have an independent way to get there.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

jonah wrote:If you have any staff coming down from the Chicago area, let me know and I'll see if I can get a ride with them. I'd love to moderate for this, I just don't have an independent way to get there.
Moderators will be paid $50 and provided breakfast & lunch. If a contingent of staffers can be convinced to come down from the Chicago area, I’m sure we can work out travel arrangements/expenses so that Jonah doesn’t travel via the Illinois & Michigan Canal. I tentatively have 6-8 local moderators, but I may need additional help if the field nears 24 teams.
Nathan Hollinsaid
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Stephen Colbert wrote:I tentatively have 6-8 local moderators
I assume that the Scholastic Bowl team of Streator High School is generously helping out?
Jonah Greenthal
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

jonah wrote:
Stephen Colbert wrote:I tentatively have 6-8 local moderators
I assume that the Scholastic Bowl team of Streator High School is generously helping out?
I will gladly accept the help of any local high school scholastic bowl players who wish to expand their horizons beyond the IHSA-style bonus. Since many coaches in this part of Illinois aren’t exactly friendly to this concept and others are much more vociferously opposed, I probably shouldn’t publicly confirm whether any local players have taken me up on my offer.
Nathan Hollinsaid
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

Stephen Colbert wrote:I will gladly accept the help of any local high school scholastic bowl players....
I'd like to help. What time would should I get there?
Cresston Gackle
University of Minnesota '13
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

gack1224 wrote:
Stephen Colbert wrote:I will gladly accept the help of any local high school scholastic bowl players....
Awesome. I'll send you an e-mail with details about a month before the tournament. Do you know of any Iowa teams that might be interested in attending? If so, let me know and I'll get some invitations in the mail.
Nathan Hollinsaid
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

Stephen Colbert wrote:
gack1224 wrote:
Awesome. I'll send you an e-mail with details about a month before the tournament. Do you know of any Iowa teams that might be interested in attending? If so, let me know and I'll get some invitations in the mail.
I will check. Middle schools around here are always very disconnected from their high schools. It's difficult to communicate and organize.
Cresston Gackle
University of Minnesota '13
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Yo, I'll be sure to mention your tournament to the teams attending the Metcalf Tournament on 2/13/10. BTW, you'd barely recognize the AA field; Springfield Franklin, Jacksonville Turner, & Rochester are in, Dunlap, El Paso-Gridley, & Ottawa Shepherd are out. The A field has hardly any changes; Flanagan, Epiphany, Roanoke-Benson, Oak Grove West, Holy Trinity, Cornerstone , and Metcalf.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Moving Day wrote:Yo, I'll be sure to mention your tournament to the teams attending the Metcalf Tournament on 2/13/10. BTW, you'd barely recognize the AA field; Springfield Franklin, Jacksonville Turner, & Rochester are in, Dunlap, El Paso-Gridley, & Ottawa Shepherd are out. The A field has hardly any changes; Flanagan, Epiphany, Roanoke-Benson, Oak Grove West, Holy Trinity, Cornerstone , and Metcalf.
This would be most excellent. Most of the teams mentioned should also receive invitations in the mail by then, though I'm a little concerned the format might scare them off. Ottawa Shepherd has attended the Metcalf tournament forever, so I wonder if they'll be active at all this year. I'd like to attract some schools from the Peoria-area, but few have traveled this far in the past. The three new additions should add to the competitiveness of Metcalf's tournament, and hopefully both Jacksonville Turner and Rochester will consider attending my tournament in April.
Nathan Hollinsaid
the return of AHAN
Auron

Stephen Colbert wrote:
Moving Day wrote:Yo, I'll be sure to mention your tournament to the teams attending the Metcalf Tournament on 2/13/10. BTW, you'd barely recognize the AA field; Springfield Franklin, Jacksonville Turner, & Rochester are in, Dunlap, El Paso-Gridley, & Ottawa Shepherd are out. The A field has hardly any changes; Flanagan, Epiphany, Roanoke-Benson, Oak Grove West, Holy Trinity, Cornerstone , and Metcalf.
This would be most excellent. Most of the teams mentioned should also receive invitations in the mail by then, though I'm a little concerned the format might scare them off. Ottawa Shepherd has attended the Metcalf tournament forever, so I wonder if they'll be active at all this year. I'd like to attract some schools from the Peoria-area, but few have traveled this far in the past. The three new additions should add to the competitiveness of Metcalf's tournament, and hopefully both Jacksonville Turner and Rochester will consider attending my tournament in April.
I wasn't able to pull Macomb, but maybe you could. You should send Linda Wilson a note (and maybe Tristan Willey can help talk her into it!).
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Moving Day wrote:I wasn't able to pull Macomb, but maybe you could. You should send Linda Wilson a note (and maybe Tristan Willey can help talk her into it!).
I did send Macomb an invitation, but I will make a personal appeal as well. For Tristan or any other Illinois high school students, if you have ties to your former middle school coaches and think you could convince them to attend, let me know here or send me an e-mail. The same goes for any high school coaches with ties to their feeder schools (of course, only if they're not already registered for the Barrington Interstate Tournament).
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Field updated above. There are just under ten days left before the early registration deadline of March 1st, 2010. Registrations will continue to be accepted until April 1st, 2010, or until the field is full.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Field updated.
Nathan Hollinsaid
the return of AHAN
Auron

FYI,
The Sycamore coach said they are planning to attend.
Jeff Price
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Moving Day wrote:FYI, The Sycamore coach said they are planning to attend.
Sweet! I look forward to receiving Sycamore's registration.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

The early registration discount period has ended. Registration will continue until April 1st, 2010 or until the field is full (at this point, I'm skeptical we'll get to 24 teams). I have redoubled my efforts to attract more teams and would like to see the field reach at least 16. If you know of any schools that might be interested in attending, especially if they don't usually play in the IESA state series, please let me know. Teams from surrounding states are also welcome to register. Travel discounts will be considered for teams coming from out of state.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Field updated. The Albus Dumbledore Memorial may join the Barrington Invitational with "interstate" status as Northwest Junior High from Coralville, Iowa (19th overall in the Fall 2009 KMO) has expressed interest.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Field updated to add Dimmick Grade School and drop Morris Saratoga.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Another field update to include at least one and possibly two teams from Stephen Mack Middle School in Rockton, IL.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Field updated to add Crete Monee Middle School of University Park, IL.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

I'm open to suggestions for 16- and/or 18-team tournament formats with the following preferences/limitations:

-all teams are guaranteed 8 rounds (I would be open to a format in which teams in upper brackets play 9 total rounds while teams in lower brackets play 8 total rounds)
-there are only 10 packets and I'd like save one packet for emergencies
-no single elimination playoffs
-no byes (especially with an even number of teams)

Feel free to include procedures how you woud break ties and re-bracket (based on record, PPG, PPB, etc.) with your suggestions.
Nathan Hollinsaid
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

For 18 teams, you could do 3 brackets of 6, then rebracket into brackets of 4 for the top 8(top 3 prelim finishers plus a wildcard determined by ppg, then next 3 with wildcard...and so on). For consolations, see how many teams stay and work from that.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I might do 3x6 morning, then 3x6 afternoon - top 2 in each morning pool in the top afternoon pool, then middle 2, and so on - where you don't rematch the game from the morning. Everybody gets 9 games.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

styxman wrote:I might do 3x6 morning, then 3x6 afternoon - top 2 in each morning pool in the top afternoon pool, then middle 2, and so on - where you don't rematch the game from the morning. Everybody gets 9 games.
Then you either don't run a final, or don't have an emergency packet.
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

dtaylor4 wrote:
styxman wrote:I might do 3x6 morning, then 3x6 afternoon - top 2 in each morning pool in the top afternoon pool, then middle 2, and so on - where you don't rematch the game from the morning. Everybody gets 9 games.
It would be risky, but you could have a final assuming the emergency packet isn't necessary. If the emergency packet is used (say a moderator reads the wrong round to a room), it wouldn't necessarily have been heard by either team involved in the final. It's not a super-desirable possibility, but it's a format I hadn't previously considered.
Nathan Hollinsaid
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Stephen Colbert wrote:
dtaylor4 wrote:
It would be risky, but you could have a final assuming the emergency packet isn't necessary. If the emergency packet is used (say a moderator reads the wrong round to a room), it wouldn't necessarily have been heard by either team involved in the final. It's not a super-desirable possibility, but it's a format I hadn't previously considered.
This is true, but you are taking a HUGE gamble. Personally, I'm against it, but it's your call.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

It also assumes you don't need two packets for the final. Not good if you want to have a final, I'd agree.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

dtaylor4 wrote:This is true, but you are taking a HUGE gamble. Personally, I'm against it, but it's your call.
It's an interesting possibility with an unacceptable risk. I haven't given enough consideration to formats with preliminary matches carrying over to the playoffs, since middle school coaches are usually unfamiliar with anything but single-elimination playoffs. Hopefully it will lead me to a more desirable and completely risk-free alternative.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

styxman wrote:It also assumes you don't need two packets for the final. Not good if you want to have a final, I'd agree.
Yeah, this too!
Nathan Hollinsaid
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

So allow a difference in record to stand, and if it's a tie, play it off.

Not the best alternative, but not without precedent.
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Registrations will continue to be accepted until April 1st, 2010. Currently, entry fees have been received from all 16 registered teams. I don't anticipate any more additions prior to the registration deadline; nonetheless, I'm open to surprises. No teams will be turned away prior to the deadline, but I'd like to keep the number of teams in the field even (by adding another team, soliciting another B-team, or forming a chimera team).
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

I have surveyed the coaches of the registered teams, and the prevailing sentiment is that teams don’t want to play more than 8 matches. If I adhere to that sentiment, are there any major criticisms of or suggestions to improve the following formats?

I currently have 16 teams registered. Assuming this does not change.

For 16 teams: three preliminary brackets of six, five, and five teams; round-robins occur within each preliminary bracket; the brackets of five will play cross-over matches that will not count towards advancement; teams are re-bracketed into four playoff brackets of four teams each; round-robins occur within each playoff bracket to determine final placement

It’s possible I'll be able to expand the field to 18 teams.

For 18 teams: (this seems more complicated to do in only 8 rounds) three preliminary brackets of six teams; round-robins occur within each preliminary bracket; teams are re-bracketed into a championship bracket of four teams, two middle brackets of four teams, and a bottom bracket of six teams; round-robins occur within the three upper brackets of four teams to determine placement; in the bottom bracket of six teams, an incomplete round-robin occurs; I’m not sure how to do this fairly; I was considering the #1 team in the bottom bracket plays the #2, #4, & #6 teams from the bottom bracket; similarly, the #2 team plays #1, #3, & #5; the #3 team plays #2, #4, & #5; the #4 team plays #1, #3, & #6; the #5 team plays #2, #3, & #6; the #6 team plays #1, #4, & #5; according to this set-up, each team in the bottom bracket plays a total of three matches; the three matches are against bottom bracket opponents rated #1 or #2, #3 or #4, and #5 or #6; placement in the bottom bracket is determined by record

I’m completely open to suggestions, especially if you have a better 16 or 18 team format that can be accomplished in precisely 8 rounds.
Last edited by Stephen Colbert on Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Hollinsaid
the return of AHAN
Auron

Are you awarding any sort of trophy for the bottom bracket winner? If not, an incomplete RR shouldn't cause any big issue. They don't want more than 8 matches? There you go.
Jeff Price
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Moving Day wrote:Are you awarding any sort of trophy for the bottom bracket winner? If not, an incomplete RR shouldn't cause any big issue. They don't want more than 8 matches? There you go.
All the consolation bracket winners will get a small trophy. So, I'll figure out some measure to determine the best team in the bottom bracket. From what I can tell, the coaches prefer playing fewer matches over the fairest possible result (at least in the bottom bracket).
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

With the recent additions of King's Academy (West Chicago, IL) and a second team from Flanagan Jr. High, the field is officially closed at 18 teams. The schedule should be finalized by this weekend and more details will follow shortly.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

After a flurry of e-mails at the last second, I'm expanding the field to 20 teams. The final two spots will go to Holy Trinity (Bloomington, IL) and either Odell Grade School (Odell, IL) or Princeville B (Princeville, IL).
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

The field is officially closed at 20 teams and can be found below.

Crete Monee Middle School (Univesity Park, IL)
Dimmick Grade School (LaSalle, IL)
Fieldcrest Middle School (Wenona, IL) x 2
Flanagan Grade School (Flanagan, IL) x 2
Freeport Junior High School (Freeport, IL)
Holy Trinity Catholic School (Bloomington, IL)
King's Academy (West Chicago, IL)
PORTA Junior High School (Petersburg, IL) x 2
Princeville Grade School (Princeville, IL) x 2
RHEMA Christian Academy (Streator, IL)
Richland Grade School (Crest Hill, IL)
Serena Grade School (Serena, IL)
Stephen Mack Middle School (Rockton, IL) x 2
Sycamore Middle School (Sycamore, IL) x 2
Nathan Hollinsaid
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I'm coming down for this from Chicago and would be happy to give rides to up to 4 (though 3 is preferable) people. Afterwards, I'm going to the IHSSBCA banquet in Bloomington, so you'd have to come along for that (or get picked up), but lots of the people I'm thinking of probably have free tickets from All-Sectional/All-State. Ideally you would meet me downtown or something, but I could also pick you up.
Jonah Greenthal
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Good luck to all the teams tomorrow! Thanks in advance to the fine crew staffing this tournament (Jonah, Brad, Kristin, and contingents from Bettendorf and Streator). Please travel safely everyone. I'm sure we'll try to post updates periodically. I can only hope we have some level of success trying to introducing the middle school players of central Illinois to good quizbowl.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Preliminary Round Results

Gryffindor:
1. Stephen Mack A (3-1) 310.0 PPG
2. Flanagan A (3-1) 275.0 PPG
3. PORTA B (3-1) 212.5 PPG
4. Sycamore B (1-3) 107.5 PPG
5. Dimmick (0-4) 120.0 PPG

Hufflepuff:
1. Holy Trinity (4-0) 305.0 PPG
2. Freeport (2-2) 142.5 PPG
3. Princeville B (2-2) 127.5 PPG
4. Crete-Monee (1-3) 107.5 PPG
5. Fieldcrest A (1-3) 72.5 PPG

Ravenclaw:
1. Sycamore A (4-0) 355.0 PPG
2. Stephen Mack B (3-1) 225.0 PPG
3. Princeville A (2-2) 167.5 PPG
4. Fieldcrest B (1-3) 87.5 PPG
5. Richland (0-4) 135.0

Slytherin:
1. King's Academy (4-0) 350.0 PPG
2. RHEMA (3-1) 140.0 PPG
3. PORTA A (2-2) 207.5 PPG
4. Serena (1-3) 162.5 PPG
5. Flanagan B (0-4) 82.5 PPG

Stephen Mack A, Holy Trinity, Sycamore A, and King's Academy advanced to the top playoff bracket.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Playoff Results

Sorcerer's Stone (Championship Bracket)
1. King's Academy (3-1) 325.0 PPG
2. Stephen Mack (2-2) 245.0 PPG
3. Sycamore A (1-2) 206.7 PPG
4. Holy Trinity (1-2) 193.3 PPG

King's Academy and Stephen Mack A both finished the championship bracket with two wins and one loss. In a one game final, King's Academy defeated Stephen Mack A (350-220) to win the first annual Albus Dumbledore Memorial. Sycamore A and Holy Trinity both finished the championship bracket with one win and two losses, but declined an invitation to play a tie-breaker. Based on PPG, Sycamore A edged out Holy Trinity for third place.

The other consolation bracket winners included Flanagan A, PORTA A, Sycamore B, and Richland.
Nathan Hollinsaid
the return of AHAN
Auron

Well done, Nathan! SO... how were the questions and format received? I eagerly await what is sure to be a great narrative....
Jeff Price
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

I'm extremely grateful to the members of the tournament staff. Without their assistance, this tournament would not have been possible. I'd especially like to thank Brad, Kristin, Jimmy, and Jonah for giving up their Saturdays to help out. Somehow, Kristin flawlessly handled stats while taking care of a baby, which is even more amazing knowing I could do neither. Brad and Jonah are two of the best in the business and both had a major impact winning central Illinois over to the side of good quizbowl. Thanks to Jonah for giving us a place to host the stats and for moderating/fielding questions during the demonstration match. Another big thanks goes to Cresston, Stephen, and Alex for driving all the way from Iowa to help moderate. They will all be made honorary citizens of Illinois (just don't let the IHSA know). Finally, I'm most appreciative of the crew from Streator High School. While their scholastic bowl program hasn't been exactly supportive of good quizbowl, they all stepped up to learn a new format and spent a huge chunk of yesterday and today staffing the tournament and helping me set-up. I try to work really hard beforehand so that I can stay out of the way on the day of the tournament and let the aforementioned professionals do their thing. Thanks to Sarah, Anthony, Nich, and Alanna from Streator High School for not being afraid to enter the world of good quizbowl. I hope this is the first of many positive experiences. Also, thanks to Billy (who couldn't attend today) and Alanna for helping me set-up in practically no time at all Friday night. Alanna was also instrumental behind-the-scenes, especially as we planned the tournament, and perhaps she can be convinced to take an even bigger role by hosting a second annual Albus Dumbledore Memorial. Additionally, thanks to the editors and writers of the collaborative middle school tournament and to Jeff Price from Barrington for allowing me to host a second mirror of the tournament in Illinois and his continued efforts to promote good quizbowl in Illinois. Lastly, thanks to the coaches and players from throughout central Illinois and beyond, many who probably had an early morning and long drive. Most importantly, these coaches and players should be commended for their courage, hard work, intelligence, and ambition. It's not easy, especially a week before the IESA state series, to play an entirely different format. I personally heard no complaints about the format and few were passed along to me. I think the statistics are reflective of a field relatively inexperienced with the format. However, I would advise Class AA teams not to overlook a potentially dangerous (but perhaps lesser-known) Sycamore team during the state series. The set was most likely too difficult for the majority of the field; however, I don't blame this on the editors/writers of the CMST (as I thought the set was perfectly appropriate for the field at Barrington's mirror). A number of teams posted respectable numbers for their first tournament with pyramidal toss-ups and ACF bonuses. I do think there's an incredible potential for a question provider like Midwest Academic Questions to tap into this market. I made mention of your company during the morning announcements and will do so again in a post-tournament e-mail to coaches. Lastly, though I didn't witness it personally, I heard the Harry Potter packet was absolutely destroyed in nearly every room with a number of amazing individual performances. Harry Potter knowledge was clearly underestimated by me, but I think it was a fun way to end the day. I was pretty ecstatic to get in nine rounds (eight rounds plus the final and/or Harry Potter packet) before 4:00 PM and to have the stats posted almost immediately thereafter. I assure you, this had nothing to do with me and everything to do with the amazing team of staffers surrounding me. Thanks again and I hope everyone in attendance had a good time.
Nathan Hollinsaid
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

This tournament rocked. It was my first exposure to both middle school quizbowl and central Illinois quizbowl, and I was apprehensive about both; in retrospect, that was unwarranted. Nathan did a fantastic job organizing everything, I got to see a bunch of talented young teams demonstrate very impressive knowledge, and the questions and format were generally very well-received.

It was interesting to see how different categories play at this level. In particular, the fine arts was mostly too hard for the field, I think. However, it couldn't really be made any easier, so the solution is that these teams should go learn more things. The lit was very hit-or-miss, which now that I think about it I shouldn't've found surprising: if teams had exposure to the work in question, they would nail the tossup and sweep the bonus; if not, everything went dead. These teams don't seem to much be into the whole studying thing, but still did very well. Science and history saw excellent conversion. Mythology was probably the best-converted category in the matches I saw. Thanks to all the writers and editors for their work on this set.
Jonah Greenthal
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

I'm in the process of creating a post-tournament survey for coaches. Please feel free to suggest questions you'd like included on the survey. I'm nearing the point of exhaustion, so I probably won't finish this until Sunday night.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Moving Day wrote:I eagerly await what is sure to be a great narrative....
I suppose, in the wake of my Masonic sectional post, that a narrative is probably expected. But, I think most coaches and players were relatively open-minded and any sense of "central Illinois drama" was basically non-existent. Like Jonah, my own apprehensions faded pretty quickly. My only sense of panic occurred early in the week as the IVCC people were a little non-responsive to my requests. But, the security, technology, and janitorial staff were all insanely friendly and helpful on Friday night and throughout the tournament Saturday. I had difficulty confirming a team's attendance, but that problem also worked itself out. We started a little late, but I don't really regret doing the demo match and taking time to answer questions. Lunch was scheduled to start at 12:15 PM and I think I finished reading my last morning round at about 11:45 AM. Even the moderators reading at a somewhat slower pace were generally finished by the start of lunch. Pizza arrived five minutes early and was distributed in record time. I sent out pizza order forms by e-mail about two weeks prior to the tournament and teams placed their orders and knew exactly how much to pay. The price included pizza and unlimited pop/water which we had on ice in coolers. With only two people, we had all the pizzas handed out in less than ten minutes. I've tried all sorts of various lunch options at previous tournaments, but this was by far the fastest and most convenient. The re-bracket was timely, especially considering the added headache of bouncebacks and middle school teams randomly subbing in lots of players at lots of different times. I was conveniently paired with Jonah in the afternoon, giving us plenty of extra time for the final and allowing me to work out the logistics of the Harry Potter tournament and figure out the consolation pool winners. My only regret is that I didn't get to read for the Harry Potter tournament, because everyone came back with stories of really amazing performances and high scores. There was another tournament in Ottawa, IL today using QG. Each team played six rounds and they didn't finish until 4:30 PM. When I found out about this tournament, I was worried our field would be drastically reduced. While I was pretty disappointed that some area teams chose not to attend our tournament, it was truly their loss.
Nathan Hollinsaid
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

jonah wrote:This tournament rocked. It was my first exposure to both middle school quizbowl and central Illinois quizbowl, and I was apprehensive about both; in retrospect, that was unwarranted.
I will shove this in your face every time you decide to wrongly disparage this part of the state.