West Coast Invitational: March 27-28

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cvdwightw
Auron

West Coast Invitational: March 27-28

Post by cvdwightw »

Concise Information Thread Here!

When: March 27 and March 28
Where: UCLA, rooms to be determined
Who: Anyone from Southern California and anyone else who has been invited to participate (if you are reading this then you are "invited")
What sets: HSAPQ Tourn-10 and NAQT Division II SCT (which set on which date is still to be decided. If we do a timed tournament then that will be on Sunday). Also, some form of NASAT "tryouts" to be determined; Auroni Gupta is in charge of NASAT tryout stuff

How much:
Base fee (per team, one tournament): $70
Base fee (per team, both tournaments): $120
Second and subsequent teams: -$10, per team, per tournament (so a second team participating both days would be $100)
Buzzer discount: -$5, per fully-functional buzzer system, per tournament; discount off school's entire fee, not each team's fee
Moderator discount: -$15, per tournament; discount off school's entire fee, not each team's fee
Travel discount: -$5 per 100 miles traveled one-way, per team, one-time discount off total fee (distance calculated by reputable online map software, from your school to the tournament site)
Clocks (if we get enough to run the NAQT tournament): -$5, per clock, NAQT tournament only; discount off school's entire fee, not each team's fee

Minimum fee: $35 for one tournament or $60 for both

Why: Because we're hoping to make this an annual thing with much better foresight and planning in the future, and we want to see if such a thing is even feasible; because we want to try to get out-of-area teams to play teams from Southern California of all ability levels; because you want a full weekend's worth of quizbowl

Contact me at the address in my profile with questions
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Re: West Coast Invitational: March 27-28

Post by Joe Romersa »

Could one of the days be an NAQT IS set, and an NAQT qualifier too?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Joe Romersa wrote:Could one of the days be an NAQT IS set, and an NAQT qualifier too?
I would be surprised if a strong performance on an HSAPQ set or on DII SCT weren't enough to back a wildcard bid to HSNCT.
Andrew Watkins
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
Joe Romersa wrote:Could one of the days be an NAQT IS set, and an NAQT qualifier too?
I would be surprised if a strong performance on an HSAPQ set or on DII SCT weren't enough to back a wildcard bid to HSNCT.
I thought NAQT's policy was that a tournament run on the DII SCT is a qualifier just like one run on an IS or A set? All NAQT's website seems to say is that as long as it's a varsity event without eligibility restrictions, it qualifies the top 15% for the HSNCT.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

The SCT set is an NAQT set, and if I'm not misinterpreting it, also an HSNCT qualifier.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:Finishing in the top 15% of the field at a high school varsity tournament using NAQT questions.
So tournaments held on the DII SCT set are fine.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Oh cool, I didn't realize that, thanks.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

FIELD UPDATE

Both Days:
Bellarmine x1
La Jolla x3
Arcadia x1
(Torrey Pines?)

HSAPQ Only:

NAQT Only:
Last edited by cvdwightw on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Just as a heads up, the Kids Choice Awards are being filmed on Saturday night, so some strange parking rules may be in effect. I'll try to find out more about this.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Has it been decided which day is what yet?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Both days of tournament will take place in Rolfe Hall, meeting in Room 1200. This is an auditorium whose entrance is outdoors. I reserved 8 rooms including this auditorium for each day.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Joe Romersa wrote:Has it been decided which day is what yet?
We're waiting to figure out the clock situation. If enough teams can bring clocks, we'd prefer to run a timed NAQT tournament on Sunday so that we can guarantee getting out of there in time for traveling teams to start driving back at a reasonable hour.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Has the field gotten bigger?
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

gyre and gimble wrote:Has the field gotten bigger?
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

RB is (very) tentatively in.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
friendlyNemisis
Kimahri

Post by friendlyNemisis »

What time will the tournements start on each day? thanks
Syed '11
El Camino Real
Tammy
Lulu

Post by Tammy »

What is the updated field for both days?
Tammy Tran
La Jolla High School '10
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

The WCI schedule is as follows:

Saturday, March 27: HSAPQ Tournament Set #10.
Saturday, March 27 (evening): California NASAT Tryouts. We will look into ordering pizza and having it show up during the tryouts so that we can get people back home/to their hotel at a reasonable hour.
Sunday, March 28: NAQT Division II SCT. We will run this on TIMED 9-minute halves in as many rooms as possible, so please bring a clock if you have one.

For each day, please show up between 8:30 and 9:00 AM to ROLFE HALL 1200 on the UCLA Campus. Please note that this is different from Bunche, where UCLA's tournaments usually are held. This also means that you want to park in LOT 5. Parking is $10 for each day. We anticipate the main tournament being done by 5:30 each day.

We have plenty of room space and enough moderators; I will continue to accept registrations for either or both days until Thursday, March 25.

FIELD UPDATE:
Both days:
Bellarmine x1
Arcadia x1
La Jolla x3

Saturday only:
Torrey Pines x1
El Camino Real x1

Sunday only:
"The Avengers" (some number of Torrey Pines players playing unofficially)
Tustin x1

Interested, not officially registered:
Rancho Bernardo
Last edited by cvdwightw on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Well, this looks like it will be exciting. I honestly expected more teams, but I guess this just means more chances to face each of the elite teams that Southern California has.
Tanay
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I never actually posted this to the boards, but here it is:

Hello, everyone!

I will be conducting tryouts for the HSAPQ National All-Star Tournament at West Coast Invitational on March 27th. Any player that will be at that tournament is eligible to try out. The tryout process will involve reading tossups from college sets, but I haven't decided which set that we'll be using. I will evaluate the prospective members of Team California on a couple of different criteria. Overall tossup conversion is one sure criterion. In addition, I will be looking for players with great tossup conversion in specific categories (such as science or fine arts), conversion of harder topics, younger players that show promise. I hope to choose four players for certain, and two alternates. Please contact me at [email protected] if you are interested. The tryout will take place in one or two rooms (depending on the number involved) after the conclusion of the main event. If you are a coach, please let me know how many players would be interested in taking part. Thanks, and I hope to see you all on the 27th!

The field for this event consists of the following players and their representative schools. Email me if you want to sign up.

Allison, La Jolla High School
Sharad, Torrey Pines High School
Steven, Torrey Pines High School
Ben, La Jolla High School
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

NoWayItsTanay wrote:Well, this looks like it will be exciting. I honestly expected more teams, but I guess this just means more chances to face each of the elite teams that Southern California has.
I would wait a few days, now that we know which set is on which day, more teams should register. Expect a few more Arcadia teams (exact number pending).

Also, Arcadia's probably sending 0 to NASAT tryouts, due to graduation being on NASAT weekend.

*edit clarity*
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Field updated above. Due to moderator concerns we are capping the first day field at 10 and the second day field at 12 and then looking into ways to expand the field.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

RB and Arcadia: I need to know by the end of today if you are bringing a(nother) team for either or both days.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

As we break for lunch, "The Avengers" (Torrey Pines), La Jolla A, and La Jolla B are undefeated, and all other teams have at least two losses.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Yesterday's tournament using HSAPQ 10 concluded with Torrey Pines (25.5 ppbish) going undefeated, but not without a fight during the playoff rounds- they had to come back by 100 points in the last 3 questions against Bellarmine and were tied with a not-full-strength La Jolla A going into the final TU. In the prelim rounds though, TP won those same matches handily. Bellarmine (24ppbish) was 2nd and La Jolla A (21 ppbish) was third. I'm sure Dwight will have the stats up soon.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Swank diet wrote:not-full-strength La Jolla A
This applies to Bellarmine as well.
Tanay
gyre and gimble
Yuna

This tournament was really good.
Bellarmine and La Jolla are really good.
California is looking pretty good.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

gyre and gimble wrote:This tournament was really good.
ITT people suck at haiku.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
gyre and gimble
Yuna

The Gambler, the Nun, and the Radio wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote:This tournament was really good.
ITT people suck at haiku.
That was uncalled for.

Edit: (In jest.)
Last edited by gyre and gimble on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Hey, this might be the place to post this anyway, but the members of Team California have been selected. They are:

Sharad Vikram
Nikhil Desai
Stephen Liu
Ben Gammage
Ankit Aggarwal
Philip Yakushev

A round of thanks to everyone who tried out. Good luck at NASAT!
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Auroni Gupta (she/her)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Tournament wrap-up:

On Saturday, we played 13 rounds of HSAPQ Tournament Set 10 (a double round robin with a 4-2 playoff split). Torrey Pines went undefeated at 13-0; Bellarmine took second at 10-3 with all 3 losses to Torrey Pines and La Jolla A took third at 7-6 with all 6 losses coming to TP and Bellarmine.

On Sunday, we played 14 rounds of Division II SCT (a round robin with a 4-4-3 playoff split). My incompetent accidental reading of Round 14 in Round 13 prevented the possibility of ACF-Style finals, but a final proved unnecessary as a finally-full-strength La Jolla A team went undefeated (13-0) with two wins each over the same Bellarmine team that finished second on Saturday and a not-quite-full-strength unofficial Torrey Pines team ("The Avengers"), who split their games and tied for second at 10-3 each. Ian has the overall stats and they should be up soon.

Saturday playoff games involving those three teams: Bellarmine 370, La Jolla 290 (La Jolla maintains contact throughout the match until Bellarmine pulls away on tossups 18 and 19); Torrey Pines 385, La Jolla 340 (tied at 345 entering the last question); Torrey Pines 340, Bellarmine 335 (Torrey Pines outscores Bellarmine 110-0 in the last three questions).

Sunday playoff matches involving those three teams: Bellarmine 375, Torrey Pines 305 (Torrey Pines gets a 350-165 deficit after question 18 down to 345-305 entering the last tossup before Bellarmine pulls it out); La Jolla 375, Bellarmine 340 (La Jolla is down 355-205 after question 18 and pulls off a 170-(-15) run to close out the match); La Jolla 330, Torrey Pines 300 (La Jolla grabs a 285-115 lead after question 15 and manages to hold on, clinching with a power on tossup 23).

Out here we're lucky to get one or two games a tournament with that kind of intensity; to have six in one weekend is absolutely amazing.

From an organizational standpoint, this was the most unbelievable tournament experience I've had. We literally finished an untimed tournament 40 minutes ahead of my expected end time, despite starting 15 minutes behind schedule and including a 75-minute lunch break. On Sunday, we ran 14 timed rounds in 8 hours with a 75-minute lunch break despite having to call Facilities Management THREE TIMES to unlock game rooms we'd accidentally locked ourselves out of, playing "moderator roulette," and using cell phones and watches as countdown timers in about half the game rooms. For that unbelievable logistical smoothness I'd like to thank the following people: Mik from UCLA for moderating and scorekeeping both days and running playoff stats on Saturday, Keith from UCLA for moderating on Sunday, Ian from UCLA for doing double duty as scorekeeper and statperson on Sunday as well as reserving the rooms, Auroni and Chris from UCSD for moderating on Saturday and running the NASAT tryout Saturday night, the two Bellarmine coaches for scorekeeping on Saturday and moderating on Sunday, the Arcadia coach and Tustin coach for keeping score while watching their teams on Sunday so all of our moderators could get through at least 18 questions a round, all the players who volunteered to keep score or run the timer on their Sunday bye round, and UCLA Facilities Management, who kept coming to unlock the rooms on Sunday even though they were assuredly royally pissed at us by the third phone call. Thanks to all teams who came out for one tournament or the whole weekend; we hope to do this with significantly better long-term planning next year and hope you'll come out again!
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Are there currently any (protected) discussion forums for these two sets? Could someone post the links here?
NoWayItsTanay wrote:
Swank diet wrote:not-full-strength La Jolla A
This applies to Bellarmine as well.
Note that this means "Bellarmine was missing its highest scorer and captain."
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

nadph wrote:Are there currently any (protected) discussion forums for these two sets? Could someone post the links here?
Directions for access to the SCT forum here.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred