South Carolina 2009-2010

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

South Carolina 2009-2010

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

As its name suggests, this is the thread for discussion of high school quizbowl in South Carolina in 2009-2010. It would be cool for people to link to tournament announcements, prognosticate about how next year will turn out, spread quizbowl news, and otherwise discuss quizbowl in South Carolina in this thread.

Anyway, Dorman and Southside will both be excellent as usual next year, and hopefully teams like James Island, Irmo, Eastside, Spartanburg, Southside Christian, and others will rebound from apparent losses of senior scorers and continue to be solid. I'm sure others can provide some more in depth analysis. As for tournaments, I would bet Dorman will host 3 or 4 tournaments again this year on good questions, and probably several Upstate schools will host a tournament or two on good questions as well. Hopefully more schools in the Lowcountry, Midlands, Pee Dee, and the Charlotte Metro area will do the same. I plan on organizing a fall and spring tournament at USC. One of them will definitely use HSAPQ questions, and the other will either be HSAPQ or NAQT.

As an FYI, the Academic Team at the University of South Carolina is having summer practices at the Humanities Classroom Building Room 301 on the Columbia campus on Thursday evenings beginning at 7:00 and lasting until 9 or so. Area high school players are welcome to attend, as is anyone else. Feel free to contact me at ericd25 at hotmail dot com if you would like more details.

Cocky is pointing to the location of the Humanities Building on this map. It is a short walk from the parallel parking on Green Street as well as the big lot across from the Capstone Building.

http://www.sc.edu/cgi-bin/uscmap/uscmap ... er&data=55
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: South Carolina 2009-2010

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Since I used to live in the Pee Dee area, I would like to say that many of the schools may not have the money to pay for tournaments, much less drive an hour or more to tournaments happening elsewhere in the state. However, they may not be aware of other formats (as far as I know, they only do league matches), so getting the word out could be worthwhile. I do not know who is in charge of the league, though.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Auron

Yeah, it is going to be hard for many Pee Dee schools to gather the resources to travel. That said, the nice thing about good quizbowl is that it's usually quite affordable. I can't think of a tournament in South Carolina over the past year run on good questions that cost more than $60, and the state is small enough such that travel/lodging costs aren't going to be that high. But yeah, I'm sure that there are schools that just don't have the money, especially in this economy.
Eric D.
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

But yeah, I'm sure that there are schools that just don't have the money, especially in this economy.
I for one can say unfortunately this is what affected our team. Hopefully though this year will bring out a better in funds, and I told my coach about the USC and Dorman tournaments so that the team could possibly travel to those. North Myrtle Beach this year will compete mostly in county, but fortunately my coach is wanting to take the team to more in-state tournaments despite the loss of two... decent players (Me and one other).
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

I am going to stay on the team this year, I think, as I have decided to stay unless something happens. Since I also do stats for the football team, I might miss some tournaments, along with
the SAT and ACT.

Today in practice, several freshmen came, including Ryan's brother, and they know some science and mythology, which is good for us.
Joe
James Island '10
Sonic the Hedgehog and the Fox
Wakka

Post by Sonic the Hedgehog and the Fox »

scquizbowl wrote:I am going to stay on the team this year, I think, as I have decided to stay unless something happens. Since I also do stats for the football team, I might miss some tournaments, along with
the SAT and ACT.

Today in practice, several freshmen came, including Ryan's brother, and they know some science and mythology, which is good for us.
Ryan Quinn's brother Cameron or Ryan Cooper's brother that doesn't exist?
Rafe Haddox
Ex-James Island '09 (you can email me for details, if you'd like)
Tiocfaidh ár lá!
sydchez
Kimahri

Post by sydchez »

Spartanburg High School is having a tournament on October 17, using NAQT questions, if anyone can come.
As for our upcoming year, we have lost Drew but still have myself and Ben as high-scoring seniors and David as a high-scoring junior. We also had a ton of sophomores show up this year to join. We also have a new coach. We'll see how it goes for the season.
S. Shea
Spartanburg High School A Team 2007-2010
Auron

As an ancient alum of Spartan High, may I ask who the new coach is? Also, I might be able to help read at your NAQT event.
Eric D.
sydchez
Kimahri

Post by sydchez »

The new coach is Dr. Margaret Hindman. Her email is [email protected] if you want to contact her about reading.
S. Shea
Spartanburg High School A Team 2007-2010
Auron

I just wanted to post about some things happening with the USC Challenge this year. Feel free to use this information to make your team's decision as to whether or not you'll want to attend. I don't want anyone confused as to what they're going to get at this tournament.

As many of you know, the USC Challenge is an annual event at USC that's been going on for a long time. To my knowledge, it's always been run by the Alpha Lambda Delta honor society. The Academic Team at USC has had some involvement over the years in terms of staffing and writing, but it is ALD's tournament.

Anyway, Academic Team president Joey Montoya and I met with ALD officials yesterday to discuss the tournament. Basically, the Academic Team will write the questions. The tossups will likely be about 4-5 lines long. Distribution-wise, we're going to do our best to make it as good as possible. However, there will only be 15 tossups per round, so we'll have to figure out distribution in those terms. There will be math calculation questions. Also, the ALD people want 1 part bonuses. Unlike years past, there will be no spelling questions, for crying out loud.

The format and scheduling of the tournament will be determined by ALD. Also, the moderators will be mostly faculty and ALD people, with some academic team people. There won't be individual stats.

Anyway, those are the big details about that event. The questions will be infinitely better than the crap Triple Q sold them last year, but this event will have obvious differences from good quizbowl. Obviously, the Academic Team would change a lot of things about this tournament if it was our event. As it is, we're going to do everything in our power to make it as good as possible as this tournament will happen with or without us.

For those of you who would like to see changes one way or another with the USC Challenge, my advice would be to contact ALD. According to their website, their address is ald at sc dot edu .
Eric D.
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Are there results from the Spartanburg tournament on Saturday? James Island was supposed to go, but our ride fell through, again.

We are going to Vanderbilt with a team, however, then bunches of tournaments after that.
Joe
James Island '10
Rikku

Spartanburg usually hosts thier tournament on NAQT questions. Joe, you could check the NAQT website for any possible results from the tournament. My best guess though who won this tournament was either Dorman or "Southside A".
Zach Foster
KevinL
Lulu

Post by KevinL »

From what I've heard, none of Dorman A, Dorman B, Southside A, and Southside B were their regular teams, and Dorman's "B" team won the tournament. I know that Dorman played no seniors. I may be mis-remembering something though.
Kevin Lybrand
Retired from playing*
Clemson, 09-10
Dorman A, 08-09
Dorman B, 06-08

*most likely
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

KevinL wrote:From what I've heard, none of Dorman A, Dorman B, Southside A, and Southside B were their regular teams, and Dorman's "B" team won the tournament. I know that Dorman played no seniors. I may be mis-remembering something though.
This information is accurate. Southside A was composed of Ming Lin and Akshay Chandrasekhar, Southside B was Carrie Tian and myself, Dorman A was Mariya, Sydney, Saif, and David Koser, and Dorman B was Sam Abrams, Darrin, Matthew, and Jimmy. No Dorman seniors played, in fact from what I've heard Huff forbade them from doing so.
Those four teams made the semis, all qualifying for HSNCT. Southside B beat Dorman A to go on to the finals, and Dorman B beat Southside A. Dorman B then beat Southside B in the finals. Stats are available:
http://naqt.com/stats/tournament-teams. ... nt_id=3110

EDIT: Dorman B then beat Southside B in the finals.
Last edited by Duncan Idaho on Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

I can't help but notice some familiar surnames on the Dorman teams, e.g. Meghan Clusserath and Matthew DeAngelis.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Marchbanks wrote:I can't help but notice some familiar surnames on the Dorman teams, e.g. Meghan Clusserath and Matthew DeAngelis.
Dorman will never die.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
SpauldingQB
Lulu

Post by SpauldingQB »

It looks like there's room for a season-ending tournament just before break (12/12 or 12/19) would any SC teams be interested (or able, for that matter, I know it's a bit out of the way for some) in coming to Hoggard High School, located in Wilmington, NC for a regular NAQT tournament? This post is really just to gauge interest before we put in an order. (as per all NAQT tournaments, top 15% would qualify for nationals.)
With your creativity, imagine the perfect world. With your intellect, make it a reality.

Sam Spaulding, Yale 2013
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Well, the 12/12 date conflicts with the Chattahoochee tournament, which is a big tournament in the GA/SC area. 12/19, however, conflicts with most Christmas breaks, and teams wouldn't want to go then. 12/12 is probably the better date.
Joe
James Island '10
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

Crossposted from:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9093

Dorman High School is pleased to announce that we will be hosting the South Carolina State NAQT Championship Tournament on March 13. Registration will be $60/team, and there is no limit to the number of teams that one school may enter. Depending on the field, we will award championships based on SCHSL classification. The past two years we have dividied into a 3A/4A division and a A/2A division, each with a separate champion. I expect to do the same this year. For more information or to register, email me: HUFFEJ (AT) SPART6.ORG

Thanks!
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
Rikku

Hey is anything happening in the state of SC regarding high school quizbowl besides Dorman and Southside. Have that many teams fallen completely off the map? (James Island, Spartanburg, Southside Christian)
Zach Foster
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Lucy Lane wrote:Hey is anything happening in the state of SC regarding high school quizbowl besides Dorman and Southside. Have that many teams fallen completely off the map? (James Island, Spartanburg, Southside Christian)
I seem to remember Southside Christian playing fairly well at the Cav Challenge when they were in my room. James Island has graduated most of their best players from the last couple of years...
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

Just a quick field update for the 2010 SC State Quizbowl Championship:

Augusta Christian
Berea High School x 2
Crescent High School
Fort Mill High School x 2
Ninety Six High School
Riverside High School
Southside Christian School x 2
Southside High School x 2
St. James High School x 2
Wilson High School

If you'd like to add teams, we still have plenty of room, just let me know...

Registration will be from 8:15-8:30 on Saturday, March 13. More information will be coming in the next few days...
Eric Huff

Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Eric Huff wrote: Wilson High School
Just curious, where is this school from? I used to go to a school with that name.
Jasper Lee
Solon High School '10
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Judy Sucks a Lemon for Breakfast wrote:
Just curious, where is this school from? I used to go to a school with that name.
Its in Florence.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Augusta Christan School? I thought that school is in GEORGIA? Has South Carolina invaded and conquered Richmond and Columbia counties form GA?
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

jrbarry wrote:Augusta Christan School? I thought that school is in GEORGIA? Has South Carolina invaded and conquered Richmond and Columbia counties form GA?
Not being one of Mark Sanford's elite, I can't really say just what the SC National Guard has been doing there on the border... But, since our Governor hasn't publicly revealed this new territory in an attempt to regain some popularity, I would say that Georgia is attempting to infiltrate our great state. (Reasonable grounds for new secession?)
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

We played the Augusta Christian B team at the tournament, and they only scored 10 points the whole game on our team.

We have the Charleston County finals tonight. Academic Magnet is automatically in it, and Wando and James Island are in the semifinals.
Joe
James Island '10
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

ClemsonQB wrote:
Judy Sucks a Lemon for Breakfast wrote:
Its in Florence.
Hey, this IS the school I used to go to! I'm glad they're getting out of their league and doing other things as well.
Jasper Lee
Solon High School '10
Rikku

Jasper, that's awesome to hear your former high school is moving out of league play. St. James is in Horry County in Murrells Inlet, so it's good to see a fellow county school (From my high school days) as well go out and attempt circuit quizbowl.

scquizbowl wrote:We played the Augusta Christian B team at the tournament, and they only scored 10 points the whole game on our team.

We have the Charleston County finals tonight. Academic Magnet is automatically in it, and Wando and James Island are in the semifinals.
Joe i'm actually quite curious about this as from what I understood that Charleston County league play is oddly structured/format (Perhaps Nate James could clarify?). Have you yourself told county teams about circuit quizbowl (Burke, Bishop England, Waccamaw etc...)
Zach Foster
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

jrbarry wrote:Augusta Christan School? I thought that school is in GEORGIA? Has South Carolina invaded and conquered Richmond and Columbia counties form GA?
Augusta Christian (for a reason I don't fully understand) is a member of the SC Independant School Association (SCISA) and competes interscholastically against SC schools rather than GA schools. Because of this, they were allowed to compete in the SC State Quizbowl Championship.
Eric Huff

jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

The Savannah River is no more!
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Lucy Lane wrote:Jasper, that's awesome to hear your former high school is moving out of league play. St. James is in Horry County in Murrells Inlet, so it's good to see a fellow county school (From my high school days) as well go out and attempt circuit quizbowl.

Lol, it's actually just the school I went to my freshman year. I'm currently a senior in high school, but in Ohio.
Jasper Lee
Solon High School '10
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

So, how did this tournament go? I talked with someone from Wilson and they said they did really well...but got pwned by what I assume was Southside. Any results, stats, etc?
Jasper Lee
Solon High School '10
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

Full stats will go up tomorrow, but Wilson, in fact, did quite well, especially since this was their first quizbowl tournament. Wilson won the 3A/4A state championship, defeating Conway A 145-140. Southside High School, though, owned the day, winning both the A/2A state championship (over a very good Southside Christian team) and the overall state championship.
Eric Huff

Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

Full results available here:

http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

Playoff bracket is attached below.

A/2A Division
1) Southside HS (Greenville)
2) Southside Christian (Simpsonville)

3A/4A Division
1) Wilson HS (Florence)
2) Conway HS (Conway)

SC NAQT State Championship Playoffs.xls
(25.5 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Eric Huff

Mettius Fufetius
Wakka

Post by Mettius Fufetius »

Lucy Lane wrote: Joe i'm actually quite curious about this as from what I understood that Charleston County league play is oddly structured/format (Perhaps Nate James could clarify?).
I played at Wando from 2004-06. The quizbowl team only did league play at that time. The matches happened in the evening, on Wednesdays I think, at a couple of high schools (Burke and possibly North Charleston) that are kinda centrally located. One of the coaches would drive us there in an activity bus, and both the JV and varsity squads would play three matches.
The league finals took place in the school board meeting room; when I did the district spelling bee, it was in the same place. (Edit to, like, answer the original question: The finals were something like 4v3, winner v2, winner v1, so that they can have all the matches in the same room. Like the Big East tournament, I suppose.)

The scoring was something like 2 points for a TU and -1 point for a neg. I'm pretty sure it was 20/20 with 3-part bonuses and no bouncebacks. The questions were dreadful one-liners that were sometimes recycled from year to year (I distinctly remember answering two identical questions on the Pyrenees featuring a vague clue about the Somport tunnel); I have no idea who wrote/writes them.

Quest sometimes gets mentioned here; it's arguably a bigger deal than quizbowl. When I was at Wando, you just showed up for the quizbowl team, and the coaches played you if you were good/they liked you. Quest was another thing entirely; participants get picked by teachers in the subject areas (although I managed to successfully campaign to switch my subject area from science to social studies for senior year.) Then students are given a specific regimen of things to study (unlike quizbowl) and attend a few Quest-specific practices. The competition consists of a qualifying multiple-choice test, then sitting around in a room for literally hours while people grade it, followed by a tossup-only, three-team quizbowl match, featuring an updating electronic scoreboard. There are about a gazillion questions, most of them easy (edit: and really short), so the biggest variables are buzzer speed and the ability to maintain concentration without a break. As I said, it's a big deal -- some random students knew about it when the social studies team (and the culinary team!) won my senior year, although I imagine the excitement was much greater when Wando won the overall title in 2009.
Quinn James
Furman University '10
Auron

Hello everyone. I just wanted to point players and coaches reading in this subforum to the announcement for the University of South Carolina Spring Tournament, to be held Saturday, April 10. Sorry about the lack of sooner notice. All teams are welcome, and we'll be using HSAPQ Set 10. Contact me at [email protected] or read the announcement linked below for more info or to register.

http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9682
Eric D.
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Here are this year's Quest winners:

Level I (Grade 6)

First Place: Charleston County School of the Arts
Second Place: Buist Academy
Third Place: Gregg Middle School

Level II (Grades 7-8)

First Place: College Park Middle School
Second Place: Moultrie Middle School
Third Place: Thomas C. Cario Middle School

Level III (Grades 9-10)

First Place: Ashley Ridge High School
Second Place: Wando High School
Third Place: Summerville High School

Level IV (Grades 11-12)

First Place: Academic Magnet High School
Second Place: Wando High School
Third Place: Summerville High School

I didn't get to compete because we didn't have enough people for Social Studies 11-12. There were only just over 1,000 participants this year for QUEST, compared to 1,500 in past years.

Charleston County play is still the same. We didn't do so hot this year because everyone except two players were new, but they actually used new questions this year. Until last year, they still used questions from 2004, with the same answers every year. They came right from Patrick's Press, and they repeated frequently. They said they randomized the questions, but once or twice, the same subject came up twice in the same game.

The matches are on Thursdays, not Wednesdays. Academic Magnet won this year, as they were clearly the best team. They don't go to any other tournaments however. Wando went to a couple state tournaments (they were at USC). Magnet could do some damage at state tournaments (they have a math person who was getting the answers before the question was finished, and good balance).

QUEST is the same thing, as those questions I think are from an IL-based company, I think Academic Hallmarks. They still use those ugly one-liners, mostly repeats from other years.
Joe
James Island '10