University of Alabama: MUT Mirror - 3/27/10

Old college threads.
linaloki
Lulu

University of Alabama: MUT Mirror - 3/27/10

Post by linaloki »

The University of Alabama would like to announce an MUT Mirror tournament to be held on Saturday, March 27, 2010.

Please confirm attendance by Saturday, March 13 by e-mailing us at [email protected]. Play will be in Bidgood Hall starting at 8:45 AM, with registration from 8 to 8:30 AM in 30 Alston Hall. Campus map can be found here:

http://tour.ua.edu/map/

Pricing:

Base: $120
Moderators (as needed): -$10
Buzzers: -$5
Travel over 200 miles according to Google maps: -$10
Minimum cost: $95

Interest:
MSU (1-2)
ULL (1)
Last edited by linaloki on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Sean Randall
University of Alabama '11
President of AAQT 2009-10
[email protected]
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Re: University of Alabama: MUT Mirror - 3/27/10

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

You guys are officially awesome for hosting this, put us down for 1 team and 4 buzzers again. A confirmation e-mail will follow shortly.
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

This is awesome.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

List of wrestling-based comic books wrote:This is awesome.
Thanks. I knew everyone would think it was awesome. I will take nothing less than full credit for the creation of this tournament since I am the one that recommended that it take place. Just further proof that my ideas are never anything short of awesome.
49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:You guys are officially awesome for hosting this, put us down for 1 team and 4 buzzers again. A confirmation e-mail will follow shortly.
You have admitted to my awesomeness as well.

--
Yo Sean, sign us up for one, 'k?
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
jhn31
Wakka

Post by jhn31 »

I can't think of any reason why we wouldn't bring several teams to this.
Harry, Mississippi State
karocker
Lulu

Post by karocker »

I think Millsaps will be bringing one team and one buzzer set. I'll confirm soon.

And this is definitely awesome.
Kailey Rocker
Millsaps College
[email protected]
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

If we scrape together some funding (either from SGA and/or my bank account) WKU will be bringing 1 team to this.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
karocker
Lulu

Post by karocker »

Sadly, Millsaps will not be able to send a team to the tournament. Good luck to everyone who does go though!
Kailey Rocker
Millsaps College
[email protected]
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

2 Questions:

Has there been anymore additions/subtractions from the field? and There is a slight possibility Snead may end up not coming at all or if we do it may just be me solo, is there any type of Solo discount for MUT?
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Well, we won't be going to this. Good luck to the teams who do.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
linaloki
Lulu

Post by linaloki »

The only field changes have happened in this thread. I still haven't gotten confirmation from anyone but Snead... And we can talk about any other discounts via e-mail, if you'd like.

Please, if you wish to attend, let us hear back through e-mail ASAP. I'll be sending out an e-mail of our own to check with teams that have interest that hasn't dropped yet.
Sean Randall
University of Alabama '11
President of AAQT 2009-10
[email protected]
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Well our status is now up in the air, but I will have a definite answer by Monday as to whether or not we'll come or in what form.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

As I will note in the e-mail that will be sent shortly (sent it around 9 central on 3/22 and no reply, hope it was received), we will no longer be able to come to this tournament due to various (and apparently recent) conflicts springing up within the team.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Nineteen99
Kimahri

Post by Nineteen99 »

Hey I'm Zac Perry from UTC. I sent you an email yesterday but I haven't heard back from you so I figured I would try here. I know its late notice but if you can pencil a team in for UTC we will come down Saturday.
Zac Perry

UTC '12
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

Brief Results from today:

1. Alabama
2. Louisiana-Lafayette
3. Northeast Alabama Community College
4. Mississippi State
5. Tennessee-Chattanooga
A.J. Collins
President of the Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team, 2010-2011

Rappahannock County High School '09
Alabama '13

This is ALABAMA QUIZBOWL!
acmagee
Lulu

Post by acmagee »

pretzeldude92 wrote:
1. Alabama
2. Louisiana-Lafayette
3. Northeast Alabama Community College
4. Mississippi State
5. Tennessee-Chattanooga
Here are the rest of the stats:
http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Andrew Magee
Vice President/Statistician
University of Alabama
[email protected]
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

You guys only played four games?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
acmagee
Lulu

Post by acmagee »

I only kept the individual stats for the first round robin, which was four games.
Andrew Magee
Vice President/Statistician
University of Alabama
[email protected]
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

acmagee wrote:I only kept the individual stats for the first round robin, which was four games.
Did you guys keep team stats for the remainder of the tournament? I imagine people would find those interesting even if you didn't keep individual stats.
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

Charbroil wrote:
acmagee wrote:I only kept the individual stats for the first round robin, which was four games.
Did you guys keep team stats for the remainder of the tournament? I imagine people would find those interesting even if you didn't keep individual stats.
I know that Alabama beat ULL 345-105 in the advantaged final. Alabama was 14-3, with 220 bonus points. ULL was 5-1, with 60 bonus points.
A.J. Collins

Alabama '13

Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

Post by Kwang the Ninja »

pretzeldude92 wrote:
Charbroil wrote:
I know that Alabama beat ULL 345-105 in the advantaged final. Alabama was 14-3, with 220 bonus points. ULL was 5-1, with 60 bonus points.
There is nothing in that second sentence that I understand. How did Alabama play 17 games while ULL only managed 6?
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

That sound like "tossups, negs" in the final game.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Wait, teams only were guaranteed four games?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

Post by Kwang the Ninja »

bt_green_warbler wrote:That sound like "tossups, negs" in the final game.
Ah, I'm stupid.
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Wait, teams only were guaranteed four games?
I assume that the use of the word "first" indicates that there were multiple round robins played, yielding more than 4 games.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Yeah, but then when people asked for the stats of the other games all we found out were the numbers in the final. Does this mean that there is still another round robin we didn't hear anything about, or does it mean that the use of the word "first" was imprecise and that the only other game held was the final?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:Yeah, but then when people asked for the stats of the other games all we found out were the numbers in the final. Does this mean that there is still another round robin we didn't hear anything about, or does it mean that the use of the word "first" was imprecise and that the only other game held was the final?
If there were any additional statistics, they would have been reported by now, logically. Have you ever heard of a tournament that reports less than half of its stats on its forums? Usually when the preliminary stats are done, everything tends to be posted completely and not some mysterious fraction of the tournament. Enough already.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I've never heard of a tournament that played four games and a final either!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

DarkMatter wrote:If there were any additional statistics, they would have been reported by now, logically.
except for the fact that at least 50% of tournaments don't post their full statistics within the following week
Have you ever heard of a tournament that reports less than half of its stats on its forums?
yes, every weekend
Usually when the preliminary stats are done, everything tends to be posted completely and not some mysterious fraction of the tournament.
people give up on doing stats for the playoffs all the time
Enough already.
Yes, enough already with the Alabama team's half-assed approach to hosting, whether it be running college tournaments on high school questions or deciding that there will be no more stats after round 4 because entering stats isn't causing immense levels of joy at that exact moment. And enough already with non-moderators on the board telling other people what to post.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

Yikes.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Matt Weiner wrote:
DarkMatter wrote:If there were any additional statistics, they would have been reported by now, logically.
except for the fact that at least 50% of tournaments don't post their full statistics within the following week
Have you ever heard of a tournament that reports less than half of its stats on its forums?
yes, every weekend
Usually when the preliminary stats are done, everything tends to be posted completely and not some mysterious fraction of the tournament.
people give up on doing stats for the playoffs all the time
Enough already.
Yes, enough already with the Alabama team's half-assed approach to hosting, whether it be running college tournaments on high school questions or deciding that there will be no more stats after round 4 because entering stats isn't causing immense levels of joy at that exact moment. And enough already with non-moderators on the board telling other people what to post.
Well that's already changed for the better, Matt. Given that I have five years of experience of running a quizbowl organization, which does make me one of the longest if not the longest tenured quizbowl presidents in the country, this will change immediately. I state that even though I am not going to be UA's president next year, I can run a quizbowl organization better than most can without even trying as long as I have some manpower. A.J. and I have all the necessary experience, desire, and ability to "turn around" what you call an abomination and I don't necessarily think people appreciate you attacking an organization that you have close to nothing to do with and went through a rough patch in the road. I did my best to help the situation and now that I'm moving, it'll be much easier for me to do so.

I never told anyone what to post -- I just pointed out the immensely unnecessary douchebaggery of the previous poster.

I'm sorry I didn't run through all the statistics ever created so I didn't have that stat available to me -- I don't like lazy statisticians either, trust me, but the forum hounds unnecessarily blew this whole situation out of proportion.

Thanks for your input, as always.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

Sorry if I hadn't clarified this earlier, but there was one round robin (4 games), followed by an advantaged final for the top 2 teams, and an additional round robin for the bottom three teams. So, Alabama and ULL played 5 games, and NACC/MSU/UTC plays 6 games.

That said, I don't like tournaments where only 5 games are guaranteed or tournaments which have formats that are decided halfway through or stats that aren't posted with reasonable haste and all of these issues will be rectified next year...

Edited for grammar
A.J. Collins

Alabama '13

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

DarkMatter wrote: I never told anyone what to post -- I just pointed out the immensely unnecessary douchebaggery of the previous poster.
You see, I don't really understand this; Charlie's post wasn't unpleasant at all; all he was asking was whether there were additional round robins the stats of which were not posted, a reasonable question given that both Bryce and I thought so. As Matt expressed quite thoroughly, it's quite normal for tournaments to only post preliminary stats first (or at all); the confusion was perfectly understandable given that your own statistician implied that more round robins existed (which most people took to mean that more round robins of the whole field existed).

Speaking of which, despite what you said, there were additional statistics! (Assuming you kept track of scores for the final/consolation round robin) So wasn't absurd at all to ask whether you might post them at some point.
Charles Hang

millionwaves
Auron

Post by millionwaves »

Hey, there's nothing productive to be gained by continuing to discussing the posts in this thread. Let's move it back to discussion of the tournament, please.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

millionwaves wrote:Hey, there's nothing productive to be gained by continuing to discussing the posts in this thread. Let's move it back to discussion of the tournament, please.
Sorry about that. Anyway, do you guys have the team stats for the remaining rounds of the tournament?
Charles Hang