Old college threads.
Geringer
Rikku

Land of Lincoln Throwdown Announcement

Post by Geringer »

Land of Lincoln Throwdown: Generic Illinois Tournament #001
Saturday June 26, 2010 at Maine South High School in Park Ridge, IL

ANNOUNCEMENT:

This is an announcement for a trash tournament/social event hosted in late June with an accompanying fine arts tournament. The day will start with a trash tournament, continue with BELFAST, the fine arts set, and culminate in a large dinner at a local restaurant. Players can certainly choose only one or two of the options if necessary and we would be totally open to players for the tournaments from other areas who don't want to take part in the Illinois fanfare.

WHAT THIS TOURNAMENT IS FOR:

This tournament is meant to pit the coaches and other quizbowl luminaries of Illinois against their current and former players. In order to bring about improvement in our state, we need to build cohesiveness and I feel like a quizbowl tournament would be a good networking event and would provide an opportunity to sit down and talk business for the 2010-2011 season.

In addition, all proceeds will go towards funding the nationals bid of a first-time team in need of funds. (Funds will be applied for and distributed at a later date)

PRICING:

I will be charging $15 per person for CULT and $10 per person for BELFAST.

TRAVEL DETAILS:

Maine South is located in Park Ridge, a near Western suburb of Chicago. There are plenty of hotels, motels, Holiday Inns, and (I assume) willing hosts to bunk deserving folks from outside of the Chicago area if necessary.

RULES:

Standard mACF with powers and negs but no "trash-only" rules like lames and all-or-nothings.

QUESTIONS:

The trash portion of the day will use Mike Bentley's CULT set. The fine arts tournament will be using BELFAST, written by the cool kids over at Bellarmine HS.

STAFFING:

I think I have enough dedicated moderators to avoid having teams play on bye-rounds for the trash. We definitely have enough staff for BELFAST.

TO REGISTER:

Make a forum post in here or drop me an email at [email protected]. Free agents or teams are welcome to register.

I hope to offer something for everyone with this tournament and look forward to seeing you guys out at Maine South on June 26th.
Last edited by Geringer on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Geringer
Rikku

Re: Land of Lincoln Throwdown Announcement

Post by Geringer »

I will start registration at 9:00am in my yet-to-be-determined tournament central.

Park in Maine South's SOUTH parking lot (near the tennis courts). There is a set of doors overlooking the tennis courts. Enter through those doors. I'll put some signs up that will lead you to tournament central.

As posted upthread, the fees for the trash portion will be $15 per person. I would prefer cash, but checks can be made out to Robert Geringer, my legal name.

I reserve the right to make some minor adjustments to free agent teams on the field. I obviously don't want to make anyone mad, but in order to get an even number of teams I may have to combine a team or two. Within the next three days, I hope to make a finalized team manifest and will give you guys some time to complain.

As for BELFAST, I hope to make it a doubles tournament, so please post who you would like to play with or register as a free agent. BELFAST will be $10/person.
Last edited by Geringer on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

FIELD
Dan Donohue, Brad Fischer, Kristen Strey, Greg Peterson
Charles Martin, Warren alum, Frank Firke, Viator Alum
Colby Burnett, Jeremy White, and Brian Hight
Riley, Laudermith, Houlding, and Laird
El Equipo de Carbery
Nick Bergeon, David Garb, Greg Ward, and Jack Glerum
Mike Sorice, Jeet Raut, Micah Hodosh

STAFF
Jeff Geringer
Nolan Winkler
Robert Volgman
Tegan
Last edited by Geringer on Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 16 times in total.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

You know I'm in! Is this gonna be like an open thing where we can form our own teams?
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Dan-Don wrote:You know I'm in! Is this gonna be like an open thing where we can form our own teams?
I just added it into the announcements, but I'm content with either free agent, partial team, or full team registrations.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

KHAAAAN please wrote:
Dan-Don wrote:You know I'm in! Is this gonna be like an open thing where we can form our own teams?
I just added it into the announcements, but I'm content with either free agent, partial team, or full team registrations.
No I mean like, are we encouraged to mix and match? Or are players supposed to play as their schools?
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

As coaches are included, will the trash part of the tournament include anything pre-1990?
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I would strongly encourage you not to hold this tournament on the same weekend as CULT.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Post by Dresden_The_BIG_JERK »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I would strongly encourage you not to hold this tournament on the same weekend as CULT.
Would there be that much worry of attendance overlap?
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Saint Joseph's College '08
IHSSBCA Certified Moderator
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Dresden_The_Moderator wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I would strongly encourage you not to hold this tournament on the same weekend as CULT.
I think there could at least be some overlap. I obviously have no power to stop this tournament from being held on this date if the TD's really want to, but it seems to me there are probably some other weekends in the summer on which this tournament can be held that don't conflict with one of the two trash tournaments already announced.
Mike Bentley
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:
Dresden_The_Moderator wrote:
I think there could at least be some overlap. I obviously have no power to stop this tournament from being held on this date if the TD's really want to, but it seems to me there are probably some other weekends in the summer on which this tournament can be held that don't conflict with one of the two trash tournaments already announced.
I can't speak for Jeff and Mr. Egan, but I know the date had a lot to do with the availability of the Maine South building. As far as I know, no member of this tournament's intended audience is going to be involved with CULT.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Unless Jeff plans to use the U of I crew as moderators.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

I don't think a great deal of the UIUC contingent is going to CULT. Put me down as a free agent for this.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I will x this. You choose the verb, Geringer, but I reserve veto rights.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Kristin and I are quite interested in this. Quite.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I obviously will be at CULT, but you might want to clarify if only Illinois people can play this tournament.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

Dan-Don wrote:No I mean like, are we encouraged to mix and match? Or are players supposed to play as their schools?
I think it would be cool to play with mixed teams, although "Alums of (School)" is always a cool team bet. I think teams should reflect who you would have fun playing with.
David Riley wrote:As coaches are included, will the trash part of the tournament include anything pre-1990?
I am assuming that the set, produced by people older than me, will have considerable amounts of pre-1990 questions. Once I receive the set, I'll actually knock out a distribution for you guys.
The nice fellow who is renting me rooms felt that this date would work best. It was the earliest date I could find that didn't conflict with a large percentage of my field. That said, the people that are attending your tournament in Virginia have most likely already made plans for that and wont be attending my inferior tournament. It's regretful that it has to occur on the same day.
Cheynem wrote:I obviously will be at CULT, but you might want to clarify if only Illinois people can play this tournament.
As this is the same weekend as CULT, I'd like to see the real hardcore trash players make the trip to VCU. That said, this tournament is open to any and all folks who would like to play the set. Conversely, the dinner is also available for those who don't want to play quizbowl.
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

What are you looking at for an academic set?
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

If there's an academic set being played at some point, I'll definitely play both. If not, I may come anyway. I'm almost sure I'm in town at that point.

Incidentally, what are "lames" and "all-or-nothings"?
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

I would love to do this but you chose my son's second birthday to hold it.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

I will show up to this.
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

Hey, I'm all for summer quizbowl fun, and trash is alright BUT I feel that quizbowl in the summer should be QUIZBOWL in the summer. I'd much rather we secure a solid academic set and focus more on that than the trash. I'm all for doing the whole informal hey, this is getting boring lets play some trash or having mutiple side events or whatever, but this really should be a fun tournament for everybody in illinois in the summer and the best way to accomplish that is by playing a real academic set.
KHAAAN please wrote:In order to bring about improvement in our state, we need to play more real quizbowl instead of having like 4 trash events during the year
I think that has been fixed nicely.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Secretary of Bobcats wrote:Hey, I'm all for summer quizbowl fun, and trash is alright BUT I feel that quizbowl in the summer should be QUIZBOWL in the summer. I'd much rather we secure a solid academic set and focus more on that than the trash. I'm all for doing the whole informal hey, this is getting boring lets play some trash or having mutiple side events or whatever, but this really should be a fun tournament for everybody in illinois in the summer and the best way to accomplish that is by playing a real academic set.
KHAAAN please wrote:In order to bring about improvement in our state, we need to play more real quizbowl instead of having like 4 trash events during the year
I agree with this. I'd prefer an academic set.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Your Cup of Robust Tea wrote:
Secretary of Bobcats wrote:Hey, I'm all for summer quizbowl fun, and trash is alright BUT I feel that quizbowl in the summer should be QUIZBOWL in the summer. I'd much rather we secure a solid academic set and focus more on that than the trash. I'm all for doing the whole informal hey, this is getting boring lets play some trash or having mutiple side events or whatever, but this really should be a fun tournament for everybody in illinois in the summer and the best way to accomplish that is by playing a real academic set.
I agree with this. I'd prefer an academic set.
I'd rather play academic mainly than trash mainly, yeah.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Academic would definitely be much better.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

No, dude! Our state dominance in high school trash is crucial and must be maintained at all costs!

M
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Besides, dude, your summer's designated trash time is better spent determining how to shoehorn "four" into "trashtastrophe"
Andrew Watkins
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Academic sets aren't exactly falling from the sky though. Which are still available?
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Dan-Don wrote:Academic sets aren't exactly falling from the sky though. Which are still available?
you could, uh

you could write one?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Ukonvasara wrote:
Dan-Don wrote:Academic sets aren't exactly falling from the sky though. Which are still available?
you could, uh

you could write one?
Yeah, like, the academic set you were alluding to for later in the day, after the other full tournament. Or, you know, you could mirror Sun 'n' Fun if Ahmad's interested.
Andrew Watkins
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:
you could, uh

you could write one?
Yeah, like, the academic set you were alluding to for later in the day, after the other full tournament. Or, you know, you could mirror Sun 'n' Fun if Ahmad's interested.
What set was I alluding to?
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Hey, how plausible is it to just make this thing a packet-submission kind of thing? Or is that sort of thing taboo at non-collegiate events?

Also, I guess it would be tough considering that there's only about a month and a half until this.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Your Cup of Robust Tea wrote:Hey, how plausible is it to just make this thing a packet-submission kind of thing? Or is that sort of thing taboo at non-collegiate events?

Also, I guess it would be tough considering that there's only about a month and a half until this.
Packet-submission would be pretty great.
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Dan-Don wrote:
Your Cup of Robust Tea wrote:Hey, how plausible is it to just make this thing a packet-submission kind of thing? Or is that sort of thing taboo at non-collegiate events?

Packet-submission would be pretty great.
Probably gonna be pretty hard to do because of this schedule:
5/15: Culver Midwest (Loyola + Dan going)
5/22: Hey we actually have a weekend off
5/28-5/30: HSNCT Weekend
6/4-6/6: NSC Weekend
6/11-6/13: NASAT Weekend (Lloyd + Malis + Carbery + Deveau)
6/20-6/24: SEMO Ace Camp that most of us will be going to
6/26: This tournament

Maybe a more plausible set would be the ANGST set. Geringer, you should get in touch with Andy and see if we contribute a certain # of packets or something we could hold a mirror of it a week early.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:Or, you know, you could mirror Sun 'n' Fun if Ahmad's interested.
Or, you know, mirror this set. I know that some people from UIUC were interested in playing this set at our last meeting.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Papa's in the House wrote:
Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:Or, you know, you could mirror Sun 'n' Fun if Ahmad's interested.
Or, you know, mirror this set. I know that some people from UIUC were interested in playing this set at our last meeting.
This would make me slightly interested, but isn't this set a bit hard?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
The Moviegoer
Lulu

Post by The Moviegoer »

It might be, but hell, if it ends up being a Sun n' Fun mirror I know I'll throw my hat in the ring with or without UIUC people.
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
Geringer
Rikku

Post by Geringer »

I contacted Andy around 8pm today to possibly set up a mirror. Sun N Fun could work too, I guess.

Paging Ahmad...
R. Jeffrey Geringer
Saint Viator '09
Illinois '13, '14
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Charbroil wrote:
Papa's in the House wrote:
This would make me slightly interested, but isn't this set a bit hard?
Yeah, I kind of feel that 13-line tossups on Terry Riley and 10-line tossups on Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie might be just a tad bit too hard for this field...
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

For the academic tournament, is there going to be any separation of different levels of play? I don't foresee a "Latin Alums" vs. Sorice being a nail-biter (though idk if people at that level plan to play). And looking at a random round from Sun N' Fun 2008, it definitely seems too hard for a field consisting of mostly non-nationals level teams.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

KHAAAAN please wrote:I contacted Andy around 8pm today to possibly set up a mirror. Sun N Fun could work too, I guess.

Paging Ahmad...
Let me know if you successfully get through to him, given that I contacted him in early April regarding mirroring ANGST and still haven't received a response.
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Is this 100% attached to RC COLA? CULT is now open for mirror opportunities.
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Wakka

Post by Kanga-Rat Murder Society »

Dresden_The_Moderator wrote:Is this 100% attached to RC COLA? CULT is now open for mirror opportunities.
Charles Martin and I have both playtested multiple rounds of CULT, so if we were to play you would have to skip those rounds. Also, CULT might be a little too hard for this field, though RC Cola is also no walk in the park.

And yes, I will attend this.
Nicholas Bergeon
Buffalo Grove High School '09
UW-Madison '12
WUSTL Law'15
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

BG MSL Champs wrote:
Dresden_The_Moderator wrote:Is this 100% attached to RC COLA? CULT is now open for mirror opportunities.
Charles Martin and I have both playtested multiple rounds of CULT, so if we were to play you would have to skip those rounds. Also, CULT might be a little too hard for this field, though RC Cola is also no walk in the park.

And yes, I will attend this.
That was my concern...I haven't read any CULT, but past years of RC COLA seemed quite difficult to me
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

I would support CULT over RC Cola 1,000%. Difficulty doesn't really matter here - we're talking Mike Bentley trash vs. Steinhice trash. There's no comparison.

Because we should be doing an academic set primarily over a trash set side event, skipping those few rounds of CULT wouldn't be a problem at all - we aren't playing a 20 round side event :)
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

As mentioned in the other thread, the maximum number of rounds anyone has seen so far is 4 out of a total of 20. That would still give you 16 blind rounds.

I haven't seen the RC Cola stats, but according to http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings the best teams at the tournament last year put up around 17 PPB. As mentioned in the CULT announcement, I am experimenting with hosting a national tournament of an easier difficulty gradient than a tournament like DI ICT or ACF Nationals (although of course it's hard to compare academic and trash tournaments). I don't want to make any promises, but I'd expect CULT to be comparable to RC Cola in difficulty if RC Cola is much the same as last year.
Mike Bentley
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

styxman wrote:I would support CULT over RC Cola 1,000%. Difficulty doesn't really matter here - we're talking Mike Bentley trash vs. Steinhice trash. There's no comparison.

Because we should be doing an academic set primarily over a trash set side event, skipping those few rounds of CULT wouldn't be a problem at all - we aren't playing a 20 round side event :)
I thought the trash was the main feature?
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
MichaelKearney
Lulu

Post by MichaelKearney »

styxman wrote:I would support CULT over RC Cola 1,000%. Difficulty doesn't really matter here - we're talking Mike Bentley trash vs. Steinhice trash. There's no comparison.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me whether or not people want to play trash or academic, but let's get one thing straight. This is Michael Kearney trash, not Steinhice trash. (And since Charlie has edited more trash tournaments than any other person in quizbowl, I don't get why that's a bad thing)

Charlie has written 8 or so questions out of 220, with Jeremy White and James Quintong filling in other gaps to the tune of 24 tossups. For statistics sake, I think there were only 5 tossups that went dead in the tournament(which I'll be fixing), and the rounds are entirely blind to all players in your region. Also, as I mentioned before, if anyone wants a measure of past year's difficulty and style, the previous two tournaments are available on Wastebin.
Michael Kearney, Vanderbilt '02
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Apologies for not responding sooner, I don't often read this part of the board.

I will have to find that ANGST Mirror query, Charles, I don't actually remember receiving it. As for this tournament, I am afraid it wouldn't be ready until mid-August at the earliest. That said, if there is interest in pushing the tournament back till then, I would be happy to have you guys mirror the tournament at a significantly reduced cost (like 99.94% off, you know...since it is for the kids).

Let me know,
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

SnookerUSF wrote: I will have to find that ANGST Mirror query, Charles, I don't actually remember receiving it.
I actually meant that I'd contacted Andy about mirroring ANGST; I was just somewhat sloppy in my quoting. That being said, if you know anything about ANGST and how I could get in touch with someone about mirroring it, do please let me know. Anyway, my apologies for the imprecise language.
Charles Hang