Rules on Pronunciation

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
centralhs
Wakka

Rules on Pronunciation

Post by centralhs »

How lenient should moderators be on pronunciation when accepting answers? I always tell my students that, while ideally they would pronounce all words correctly, their answers should be accepted as long as they are phonetically possible. However, we have been on both sides of this... moderators haven't accepted answers that were phonetically possible (for example, a moderator last year did not want to accept "Roanoake" when it was pronounced as 2 syllables instead of 3) and we have seen other teams awarded points on answers that were absolutely not phonetic possibilites (a moderator once accepted Phoenician pronounced FA-NIN-SEE-AN in spite of my attempt to point out that the middle syllable only has one "n" in it, not two.)
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Re: Rules on Pronunciation

Post by Nuclear Densometer Test »

I've always abided by the phonetic rule. However, I don't think that many readers are aware of this (at least from my experience)

Favorite example:
Given: Large Hadron (with a short 'a') Collider
Moderator: Sorry, the answer is Large Hadron (with a long 'a') Collider. Neg-5.
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

Fun fact: The "l" comes before the "g" in my last name.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I think you have the right idea and most sets of rules agree with you. Reasonable phonetic renderings of an answer should generally be accepted (and, I hope, are.) I think everyone probably has some horror stories of over-punctilious (usually completely wrong, "RIH-churd WHAG-nur" for Richard Wagner-type) moderator pronunciation requirement tartuffery.

M
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
sssssssskkkk
Lulu

Post by sssssssskkkk »

As a Chinese person, I'd like to say that the pronunciation of the Chinese words can get a bit anglicized - sometimes in packets they even write the Romanization of Chinese words wrong ("long" means dragon, not "lung"). I think this could be fixed just with a little more preparation on the packet-writers/moderator's account, although it's not exactly too big of an issue considering the fact that there's not many Chinese questions in sets.
Webster Guan
California Institute of Technology (2012-)
Illinois Math and Science Academy (2009-12)
Writer, NAQT (2013-)
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I... think you may have missed the point of this thread.

M
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
New York Undercover
Wakka

Post by New York Undercover »

what about berlioz pronounced with a "silent z"?
Is that wrong?
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

New York Undercover wrote:what about berlioz pronounced with a "silent z"?
Is that wrong?
? I have never head it with a silent z. I'd say correct since he has clear knowledge.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

If you learn things by reading books, you're often going to be left with words that you have learned and memorized, but that you've never heard pronounced, yet alone pronounced correctly. The inevitable result of this, I think it's fair to say, is that many players will be outright guessing as to how some answers are pronounced.

Thus I favor extremely liberal rules. To bring up an infamous protest from the recent past (pompadou/pompadour), I'd even accept incorrect but reasonable mispronunciations like not saying the last syllable of a French word whose last syllable is actually pronounced.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Post by Andrew's a Freshman »

What about the replacement of "Lara" with "Laura" where the error leads to a noticeably different answer?
Norcross High School '11
Northwestern University '15
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Andrew's a Freshman wrote:What about the replacement of "Lara" with "Laura" where the error leads to a noticeably different answer?
Ah, I recognize this one. It was the finals of the Norcross Prison Bowl Mirror, and the question was asking about the lover of Dr. Zhivago. I am interested to see what other people think about it.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:
Andrew's a Freshman wrote:What about the replacement of "Lara" with "Laura" where the error leads to a noticeably different answer?
Ah, I recognize this one. It was the finals of the Norcross Prison Bowl Mirror, and the question was asking about the lover of Dr. Zhivago. I am interested to see what other people think about it.
You've got to be kidding. Most people would pronounce the two of those things the same and it shows no knowledge gap whatsoever no matter how you pronounce either one of them for any answer.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Post by Dresden_The_BIG_JERK »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:
AlphaQuizBowler wrote:
You've got to be kidding. Most people would pronounce the two of those things the same and it shows no knowledge gap whatsoever no matter how you pronounce either one of them for any answer.
I have to disagree...I don't think most people would say them the same. One is LAH-ra and the other is LO-ra. In this example though, I would probably ask them to spell it.
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Saint Joseph's College '08
IHSSBCA Certified Moderator
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I pronounce Laura, if not completely like Lara, then at least close enough that you couldn't distinguish them in a game.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Yeah, these should be indistinguishable, and I would accept either of the pronunciations that BJ listed as correct.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Dresden_The_Moderator wrote:
Carangoides ciliarius wrote:
AlphaQuizBowler wrote:
I have to disagree...I don't think most people would say them the same. One is LAH-ra and the other is LO-ra. In this example though, I would probably ask them to spell it.
I mean...who cares? Why are we looking for ways to screw over people with knowledge? Someone who says "Laura" clearly knows what they're talking about, since they didn't say "Katerina" or "Elizabeth," but something within a margin of error of the actual answer. Games get heated: people make slight mispronunciations or remember answers imperfectly within the time limit, regardless of the completeness of their knowledge. While we shouldn't accept incorrect responses, we should be merciful to knowledgeable players who stumble a little bit in giving their answers. ACF tournaments accept any response with the consonants in the right place, a compromise which maintains the game's academic rigor without toolishly punishing knowledge in favor of gamesmanship.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Either can (and actually maybe should) be pronounced the same as the other. In fact, I wouldn't be too shocked if there are some English translations of Zhivago that render the character's name as Laura. At any rate, any reasonable pronunciation of Laura should be accepted as a reasonable attempt at pronouncing Lara and, even if you disagree, it's questionable whether they're properly distinct names.

M
Mike Sorice
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Captain Sinico wrote:Either can (and actually maybe should) be pronounced the same as the other. In fact, I wouldn't be too shocked if there are some English translations of Zhivago that render the character's name as Laura. At any rate, any reasonable pronunciation of Laura should be accepted as a reasonable attempt at pronouncing Lara and, even if you disagree, it's questionable whether they're properly distinct names.

M
Aside from the quizbowl aspect, I've just always thought of them as two different names with different pronunciations. Maybe it's a regional thing? I just know I would never pronounce Lara Croft and Laura Ingalls Wilder the same. Regardless of the answer acceptability, I'm just curious to know how people would pronounce them.
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Dresden_The_Moderator wrote:
Captain Sinico wrote:Either can (and actually maybe should) be pronounced the same as the other. In fact, I wouldn't be too shocked if there are some English translations of Zhivago that render the character's name as Laura. At any rate, any reasonable pronunciation of Laura should be accepted as a reasonable attempt at pronouncing Lara and, even if you disagree, it's questionable whether they're properly distinct names.

M
Aside from the quizbowl aspect, I've just always thought of them as two different names with different pronunciations. Maybe it's a regional thing? I just know I would never pronounce Lara Croft and Laura Ingalls Wilder the same. Regardless of the answer acceptability, I'm just curious to know how people would pronounce them.
Yes, if you have a midwestern accent you're pretty unlikely to pronounce them exactly the same (neither Ed nor I do, for example). At any rate, I agree with Mike.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

myamphigory wrote:Yes, if you have a midwestern lack of accent you're pretty unlikely to pronounce them exactly the same
FIFY

It's pretty clear (to this midwesterner at least) that Lara and Laura have distinct and different pronunciations. However, the point about this being a name rendered in translation is valid. The point about accents varying regionally is also a good one. The names are more or less interchangeable in the quizbowl-answer sense.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Post by Andrew's a Freshman »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:You've got to be kidding. Most people would pronounce the two of those things the same and it shows no knowledge gap whatsoever no matter how you pronounce either one of them for any answer.
I apologise. It's obvious how much you dislike sarcasm. I'll make sure my next question is completely serious.
Coelacanth wrote:
myamphigory wrote:Yes, if you have a midwestern lack of accent you're pretty unlikely to pronounce them exactly the same
FIFY

It's pretty clear (to this midwesterner at least) that Lara and Laura have distinct and different pronunciations. However, the point about this being a name rendered in translation is valid. The point about accents varying regionally is also a good one. The names are more or less interchangeable in the quizbowl-answer sense.
This seems to summarise most of the points that were brought up. Thanks.
Norcross High School '11
Northwestern University '15
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

I think foreign names should get a little bit of leeway in pronunciation. Aside from that, phonetically correct should be acceptable. Even if you think some kid is dumb for pronouncing Berlioz BURLYOZZ or even if you think he/she is doing it on purpose, it still has to be acceptable since it still shows knowledge of that noun.
Kay, Chicago.
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Arsonists Get All the Girls wrote:I think foreign names should get a little bit of leeway in pronunciation. Aside from that, phonetically correct should be acceptable. Even if you think some kid is dumb for pronouncing Berlioz BURLYOZZ or even if you think he/she is doing it on purpose, it still has to be acceptable since it still shows knowledge of that noun.
BURLY O's--Worst. Cereal. Ever.
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

That's far too vague. The question is "Leeway how?" After all, demonstrating some knowledge is not and cannot be sufficient to have an answer accepted: there has to be some level at which the demonstrated knowledge is sufficient and below which it isn't.
"Either a form of the correct answer, or a plausible phonetic rendering given the the printed answer" is the only such standard I can think of off-hand that I like at all. That is to say, when judging someone's answer, if it's not exactly one of the correct answers to your ear, consider whether they (or, really, any educated person who can read and talk) would give the answer that way if you gave them a printed form of the answer and a moment to consider and told them to read it aloud. If so, take it; if not, don't; and if not sure, inquire further.

M
Mike Sorice
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

As usual, I think Mike's solution makes the most sense.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Captain Sinico wrote:That's far too vague. The question is "Leeway how?" After all, demonstrating some knowledge is not and cannot be sufficient to have an answer accepted: there has to be some level at which the demonstrated knowledge is sufficient and below which it isn't.
"Either a form of the correct answer, or a plausible phonetic rendering given the the printed answer" is the only such standard I can think of off-hand. That is to say, when judging someone's answer, if it's not exactly one of the correct answers to your ear, consider whether they (or, really, any educated who can read and talk) would give the answer that way if you gave them a printed form of the answer and a moment to consider and told them to read it aloud. If so, take it; if not, don't; and if not sure, inquire further.

M
Thread over. This solution wins.
Kay, Chicago.