NAC schedule/discussion 2010

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Re: NAC schedule/discussion 2010

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

vcuEvan wrote:
scquizbowl wrote:We are now in town for the NAC tournament. Our first two JV games are at 6:00 and 6:45 tonight, with the second against John Cooper. On Saturday, we play at 11:20, 12:40, and 3:10, but then we don't play again until 7pm :roll:.

We are getting ready, but we haven't gone to the college yet.
In the interim you should try to catch a blender infomercial for some quick but effective studying.
:chip: canon expansion: "Name the item being blended."
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

We have been going all day, and we still haven't won a game in 5 matches. As I said, this is a rebuilding year for us, as we didn't bring our top players here (because we played as JV). I did get to see some of the Junior Nationals. One of the weirdest questions I have ever heard was this gem (from a Junior Nationals game): "Name the 3 U.S. cities where the World's Fair and the National Academic Championship took place." They gave a list of the cities where it was held, and the team that answered got it right.

There have been many more music questions, today also. There have been at least 3 of them in every game. Many were classical, but we had a music question on the Statler Brothers, and another on David Bowie. It seems like there's 2-3 a game on mythology.

Chip is his normal self, but he has the guy that won "Who Wants To Be A Game Show Host" in his room. He ran our match. We played against teams from NJ, MT, NE, and TX, among others.
Joe
James Island '10
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

scquizbowl wrote:One of the weirdest questions
So you mean like, a really crappy question right?
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

gyre and gimble wrote:
scquizbowl wrote:One of the weirdest questions
So you mean like, a really crappy question right?
There are no crappy questions, only crappy answers.
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Yeah, we won a game, but they actually have a good rule. You have to have a winning record to make the playoffs. In JV, if you are two games ahead of everyone else, you automatically win. There was one team from Washington state wearing funny hats, and there was a protest in the game that I saw. I did see several Junior Nationals games, and the questions varied from very easy to very hard.

I might be attending a few of the playoff games today, so I'll write you a report.
Joe
James Island '10
ceejay
Kimahri

Post by ceejay »

Longfellow A won the Junior NAC at Marymount. One especially good question asked what the internet term that was the 12th letter of the alphabet followed by the number 8 followed by the 18th letter of the alphabet meant. I hope I can go to PACE next year as TJ D or something.
Carrie
Longfellow MS 2010
Thomas Jefferson 2014
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

ceejay wrote:Longfellow A won the Junior NAC at Marymount. One especially good question asked what the internet term that was the 12th letter of the alphabet followed by the number 8 followed by the 18th letter of the alphabet meant. I hope I can go to PACE next year as TJ D or something.
That's the spirit!
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Sir Thopas wrote:
ceejay wrote:Longfellow A won the Junior NAC at Marymount. One especially good question asked what the internet term that was the 12th letter of the alphabet followed by the number 8 followed by the 18th letter of the alphabet meant. I hope I can go to PACE next year as TJ D or something.
That's the spirit!
I've tried so hard to get our worthless middle schools to start a team, to no avail. We can't compete with TJ's feeder programs! Hmph.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

scquizbowl wrote:Yeah, we won a game, but they actually have a good rule. You have to have a winning record to make the playoffs. In JV, if you are two games ahead of everyone else, you automatically win. There was one team from Washington state wearing funny hats, and there was a protest in the game that I saw. I did see several Junior Nationals games, and the questions varied from very easy to very hard.

I might be attending a few of the playoff games today, so I'll write you a report.
Man, it's so awesome that their JV tournament is using a rule which has been standard practice at many HS and college tournaments for several years.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Smithtown East wins the Washington phase of the NAC, as they beat Manheim Township in the final.

http://www.qunlimited.com/national.htm#wash

Chicago is going on now.

http://www.qunlimited.com/schedch10.htm
Joe
James Island '10
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

scquizbowl wrote:Smithtown East wins the Washington phase of the NAC, as they beat Manheim Township in the final.

http://www.qunlimited.com/national.htm#wash
Allow me to summarize the article on the junior nationals portion of the DC tournament:

"ZOMG!!! Longfellow knows everything and I want to adopt them!"
:grin:
I laugh because I've met Jon L. and he's likely uncomfortable with the pedestal he's been placed upon. Having said that, I firmly believe he WILL terrorize the high school ranks for the next 4 years.

Congratulations to Coach Huang and his excellent team!
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Doing some investigative reporting, I have found out Harrison (IN) has won the JV competition. They won New Orleans and Chicago.

Here's an article about it.

http://www.jconline.com/article/2010061 ... /100614029
Joe
James Island '10
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've heard Zionsville won, with Parkersburg finishing second.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

They have done the recap for the Chicago phase, as they called Westchester the most competitive county in all of quiz bowl. You have to scroll down to see it. Parkersburg and Zionsville split a $2,000 check :lol: courtesy of the Muller Foundation.

I remember when they gave away $15,000-$20,000 scholarships.

http://www.qunlimited.com/national.htm
Joe
James Island '10
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I like the Panglossian title of "The Best of All Possible Moderating Staffs". :roll: :chip:
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Carambola!
Lulu

Post by Carambola! »

"White Plains led 70-25 after the Warm-Up Round of their quarterfinal match with Klein. Neither team took control in the bonus round, as the first three bonuses were splits, then White Plains netted 30, given the title of the Spanish edition of Hemingway books, and identifying the original English titles. Klein then netted 30 on COOKING 101."

SOUNDS LEGIT
Jeffrey Li
Mission San Jose High '11
Berkeley '15

But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

Hey, translating "las nieves del kilimanjaro" is REAL knowledge
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

jdeliverer wrote:Hey, translating "las nieves del kilimanjaro" is REAL knowledge
Team: The Snows of Kilimanjaro.
:chip: : I'm sorry that's The Snows of the Kilimanjaro.
Kay, Chicago.
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

Does anyone know how many total teams attended the NAC this year across the three locations?
Nick