NY/NJ Date Claims 2010-2011

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Edward Powers
Auron

NY/NJ Date Claims 2010-2011

Post by Edward Powers »

Date Claims for 2010-2011:

September 11:
September 18:
September 25: Seton Hall Prep's Pirate Open (NAQT Set IS 97A)
Ocotber 2 :Princeton's Mirror of Dunbar's Fall Tournament
October 9 : SAT
October 16:Kellenberg's LIFT X @ Uniondale, LI (NAQT Set IS 98)
October 23 :Yale's FAcT @ New Haven (NAQT Set IS 99A)
October 30 :Bergen Academies' Samhain 2010 (NAQT Set IS 96)
November 6 : SAT; ACF FALL
November 13 : Harvard's Fall Tournament
November 20 : U of Penn's QuAC; National History Bee @ White Plains
November 27 :
December 4 : SAT
December 11 :
December 18 :Delaware Fall Tournament@ Wilmington Charter (NAQT Set 100, Varsity; Set 99A JV)
December 25 :
January 1 :
January 8 :Half Hollow Hills West's 17th Annual Invitational (NAQT Set 101A)
January 15 :
January 22 : SAT
January 29 :The Falcons' BATE @ St. Joe's HS, Metuchen NJ
February 5 :
February 12 :
February 19 :St.Joe's Mirror of GSAC XVIII ( or, The Garden State Academic Competition)@ SJHS, Metuchen NJ
February 26 :
March 5 : Hunter College HS's Prison Bowl IV (House Set); also, Bloomfield's BATE(NAQT Set IS 104)
March 12 : SAT; St. Anselm's PSAT/NMSQT in Washington DC
March 19 : The KPAQT at Kings Park HS (LI) (NAQT Set IS 103A); National History Bee & Bowl @ Ridgewood HS
March 26 : Livingston's March Madness (Set IS 100); Blue Hen Invitational @ U of Delaware (Set IS 104); Yale's BHSAT
April 2 :New Jersey NAQT State Championships at Princeton University (NAQT Set IS 105)
April 9 :
April 15-17 :National History Bee & Bowl National Finals @ Washington, DC
April 16 : Caesar Rodney Rider Bowl in Camden, Delaware (HSAPQ)---Changed to May 14 (see below)
April 23 :
April 30 :BOAT @ Bergen Academies, Hackensack (House written)
May 7 : SAT
May 14 :CAT @ Chatham High School (IS 102 & Speed Check #30 for its Freshman Division; also, CRRB II in Camden Delaware (HSAPQ)
May 21 : CAAC@ Colonia High School (An HSAPQ 4 quarter set?)
May 27-29 : NAQT's HSNCT in Atlanta, Georgia
June 4-5 : SAT; PACE'S NSC @Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois
June 11-13: NASAT @ The University of Maryland, College Park Maryland

Whenever I see a NY/NJ tournament posted in this thread, or on the "Regular Season Tournament Announcements Forum", or on the NAQT's Schedule, I will add it to thIs calendar. I will also list some national calibre tournaments which might attract local teams due to the probable high quality of the field that will be in attendance.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:47 am, edited 100 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
lchen
Wakka

Re: NY/NJ Date Claims 2010-2011

Post by lchen »

Thank you for starting this list, Coach Powers! Prison Bowl will probably be 3/5/11, though we're still waiting on approval from the administration.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Glad to help, Lily. Would you like me to post the date now, or wait for your administration to give its approval? Or should I post it and simply indicate that it is currently a tentative date until confirmed one way or another?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

Edward Powers wrote:Glad to help, Lily. Would you like me to post the date now, or wait for your administration to give its approval? Or should I post it and simply indicate that it is currently a tentative date until confirmed one way or another?
Could you post it and indicate that it is tentative? Thanks.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

lchen wrote:Could you post it and indicate that it is tentative? Thanks.
Done.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

Kings Park is planning to host its first quiz bowl tournament on March 19th.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

The tournament at Kings Park has been put on the date-claim calendar.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Hey,

The BATE set I'm working on as head editor/writer guy will be done at the end of the summer. It might be mirrored by Bloomfield. In any case, I would of course love to have this set mirrored by any school in the NYC area.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

I am looking for the best possible date for LIFT X for next year. Unfortunately, 10/30 is out because the school is not available, 10/23 is out because of Science Olympiad commitments, 11/13 is out because of Harvard's Tourney. So would people prefer 10/16 or 11/20?

PS: I don't think there are going to be any tourneys on 12/25......or 1/1. Although some of you guys are just fanatical enough!
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

BroNi wrote:I am looking for the best possible date for LIFT X for next year. Unfortunately, 10/30 is out because the school is not available, 10/23 is out because of Science Olympiad commitments, 11/13 is out because of Harvard's Tourney. So would people prefer 10/16 or 11/20?

PS: I don't think there are going to be any tourneys on 12/25......or 1/1. Although some of you guys are just fanatical enough!
I think 11/20 is the usual weekend for QuAC at Penn.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

lchen wrote:
BroNi wrote:I am looking for the best possible date for LIFT X for next year. Unfortunately, 10/30 is out because the school is not available, 10/23 is out because of Science Olympiad commitments, 11/13 is out because of Harvard's Tourney. So would people prefer 10/16 or 11/20?

I think 11/20 is the usual weekend for QuAC at Penn.
It was on November 21st this past year, and November 22nd the year prior... so, yes, it seems like that would be the logical date (since Thanksgiving holiday is on the 25th).
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Brother,

I would prefer 10/16, since QuAC will probably be 11/20. SJHS would love to go to both and not be compelled to choose between them, since both are great yet different challenges. Still, QuAC has not yet posted a date, but if past is prologue, then 11/20 will be its likely date. I suppose an inquiry could be made with Mehdi Razvi from U Penn to be more certain.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Other considerations to be thrown into the mix....

Last year, Princeton held their tourney the first weekend of Oct. and Yale held FACT the second weekend of Oct.
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

You are correct about Princeton and Yale, so October could be quite crowded locally. Which suggests a question---since December tends to have few tourneys---last year I believe only the Bergen mirror of DAFT took place in December, which might have been just a one year novelty, unless Bergen & Dunbar decide to get together again this coming December. So, if October seems too crowded, then maybe the less crowded December calendar might provide a more reasonable alternative? Or, maybe, October 16 will simply be the 4th consecutive week for relatively local tournaments, with Seton Hall, Princeton, Yale & LIFT back to back to back to back? And, as I recall, last year the 2nd week of October was also an SAT day---half of my A & B teams were missing because of this---yet Yale decided to host on an SAT day anyway, so I suspect they might choose to do so again this year as well. But this is speculative at this point.

I hope some of this helps Brother---or has it simply muddied the waters some more?
Last edited by Edward Powers on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Put LIFT down for 10/16. December is out because of Science Olympiad season.
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

Not 100% certain, Mr. Powers, but for now, put Livingston down for March 26 as this is the month that usually when we've hosted in the past. Not sure if all of those March tournaments being bunched up in March is a good thing or not so good but we'll keep tht date for now.
Guy Rabner
Spanish and Italian teacher
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Coach Rabner,

I've listed it as you've requested, but would you also like me to indicate that the date is still tentative, since you do not seem entirely sure of your choice, or should I simply leave it as is?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

Guybo wrote:Not 100% certain, Mr. Powers, but for now, put Livingston down for March 26 as this is the month that usually when we've hosted in the past. Not sure if all of those March tournaments being bunched up in March is a good thing or not so good but we'll keep tht date for now.
This might be a problem, as my school's coach was planning to use an IS packet for our tournament last time I heard. Seeing as one of our goals is to attract teams who have never played NAQT, however, I might be able to convince him to use an A packet instead.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

We will likely do QuAC on 11/20. Official announcement forthcoming...
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)
Rob Celeste
Lulu

Post by Rob Celeste »

Hi Coach Powers,

I just wanted to add that Kings Park will be hosting a tournament on March 19th (pending administrative approval) and we will most likely be using an A-level packet for this event.
Rob Celeste
Kings Park High Quiz Bowl Coach
Kings Park, NY
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Hello Coach Celeste,

I had already listed your tournament for the 19th of March, but now I will add two items---that the date is tentative pending administrative approval and that you will likely be using an NAQT "A" Set. I trust these added comments are OK. If not, let me know and I will make whatever changes you wish. For example, would you like to give your tournament a name, to distinguish it from all other local tournaments? And, of course, welcome to the 2010-2011 calendar!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Rob Celeste
Lulu

Post by Rob Celeste »

Hi Coach Powers,

Thanks for adding our updates for our March 19th tournament. If you update the dates again, we are going to call Kings Park's tournament "KPAQT". Thanks again for your help!
Rob Celeste
Kings Park High Quiz Bowl Coach
Kings Park, NY
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Any time. And I just noticed that you joined yesterday, so welcome to the boards!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

More details will be determined over the course of the summer, but I've been asked to make a date claim on behalf of the Bergen team for October 30.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Jon,

The Bergen Academies Tournament, with details forthcoming, has been posted for October 30th.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Bergen's plans for the coming year:

This is semi-official, and administration approval is pending so some things may change, but these three things I'm comfortable enough to announce:
1. I, Jon Pinyan, will be the titular coach of BCAQB. I say "titular coach" because my position with BCA's math team will preclude me from attending most tournaments, though I will try to attend as many events as possible with the team, including our hosted events and (hopefully) both nationals.
2. BCAQB will be hosting a tournament on Saturday, October 30, tentatively titled "Samhain 2010". We're hoping to get an NAQT set for this tournament. I think we were planning an A-set, but it's possible we might take a standard set just because of the number of A's that have been taken so far, and just that there are more packets/rounds/options.
3. BCAQB also intends to host a tournament on a Saturday to be announced in April, BOAT III. This tournament will be house-written, and I will probably help the seniors with the editing.

Also, two tournaments that I've seen mention of to add to the original post:
October 2: Princeton (and separately, Yale, to my annoyance) are hosting mirrors of Dunbar's tournament.
January 8: Half Hollow Hills West is hosting an A-set tournament (mentioned on NAQT.com's schedule)
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Jon,

I see that NAQT has awarded you IS Set 96 for your Invitational on October 30. Do you want it called the Samhain Invitational on the calendar? If so,just out of curiosity, to what does the 'Samhain' refer? If not, how exactly would you like me to identify it on the calendar? Simply as NAQT does---as the Bergen Academies' Invitational?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Edward Powers wrote:Jon,

I see that NAQT has awarded you IS Set 96 for your Invitational on October 30. Do you want it called the Samhain Invitational on the calendar? If so,just out of curiosity, to what does the 'Samhain' refer? If not, how exactly would you like me to identify it on the calendar? Simply as NAQT does---as the Bergen Academies' Invitational?
I'll have to check with Joe, but Samhain refers to some observance of Halloween. Next time I talk to an NAQT person I'll ask them to make that the name, but considering it took a month for them to confirm we actually had a set, I'm not holding my breath for them to make the change.
Jon Pinyan

Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

jonpin wrote:Next time I talk to an NAQT person I'll ask them to make that the name, but considering it took a month for them to confirm we actually had a set, I'm not holding my breath for them to make the change.
Fixed (and in less than a month, too).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

BCAQB also intends to host a tournament on a Saturday to be announced in April, BOAT III. This tournament will be house-written, and I will probably help the seniors with the editing.
Jon, if this doesn't work out (as I recall happening last year), you're always welcome to mirror BATE, which if you're not aware, is a free tournament to mirror.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Youse Da Force
Wakka

Post by Youse Da Force »

Tentative Date Claim for NJ States on April 2.

The bid isn't official yet, but this seems to be the best day already, no matter the host.
Dan Humphrey
Princeton University (2008- ) Tournament Director, President Emeritus
Garfield Heights High School (2004-2008)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Dan,

Have you actually placed a bid to host NJ States at Princeton? And, was your bid for April 2nd, or is that simply a tentative date you are floating now to gauge reaction to it? BTW---I personally have no problem with the date. And, you'll notice I've already placed it on the date claim calendar, tentatively, of course, until you can confirm one way or another.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

We have not yet received this bid. (The list of bids is available to view here.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Coach Powers,
Please add the National History Bee and Bowl's tournaments at White Plains, NY on Nov. 20 and Ridgewood, NJ on Mar. 19 to the list. There will also be a Long Island tournament at Half Hollow Hills, date forthcoming likely later this week. While focusing on history, these competitions are basically quiz bowl events, so I think adding them to the list will help teams in their planning. Also, for what it's worth, our National Finals is set for next April 15-17 in Washington, DC.
See you (and many other teams on this thread) at Princeton on Saturday,
David
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

The tentative nature of Prison Bowl IV has been removed; it is now firmly scheduled for March 5th @ Hunter College HS.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Here is an inquiry for all in the area: I have been approached to mirror two excellent tournaments for the Northeast region---Aaron Cohen's BATE and Maggie Walker's GSAC. I would love to agree to both, but I need to discover several things first before agreeing to either: First, given the tight schedule in March and April, it seems that January and February would be the best times to place these on the calendar, but January tends to be exam time and February is traditionally the month of Winter break. Nevertheless, I am intrigued by possibly trying for a late January mirror of BATE---January 22nd or 29th???--- and perhaps a late February mirror of GSAC---perhaps February 19th or 26th? So, my first question is, do these dates seem OK to potential participants, or would I be interfering with things like exams or Winter break? There are a few later possibilities, of course, but late February seems like the best possibility to me.

My other concern is the natural one of having enough quality readers. Since I am looking for a field of roughly 24-32 teams for each mirror, I would probably need 5-8 experienced coaches and/or experienced free agents to offer help with this crucial element in the quality of any tournament. And, anyone who could help with stats would be welcome as well. All helpers would naturally get appropriate discounts for their teams and/or free meals. And, of course, SJHS would not play in either tournament except to possibly field a young House team in an emergency if someone did not show up at the last minute.

So---prospective teams and helpers---this is a trial balloon---feel free to respond here to let me know if you think I should move forward and accept the requests from Aaron and Maggie Walker. Any advice you could give about the best dates, or any other ideas you might have, would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to turn these excellent opportunities down. So, please submit your best advice and/or interest.

EDITED: To change some prospective dates.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I think it's a necessary evil that any date in February is likely to overlap with someone's winter break, especially since since President's Day is so late that some schools won't wait for that week.

I thought I had announced this previously (though apparently I hadn't) but April 30 is the date Bergen is looking at to host BOAT-3 assuming that we get approval and rooms from the school that day.
Jon Pinyan

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Then I will drop April 30th as a possible alternative date. (DONE)

Would you like me to place BOAT on the calendar for April 30th, tentatively, of course, until you get administrative approval?

EDIT: Jon---I have placed a tentative date claim for BOAT on the Date Claim calendar above. If you wish me to remove it, just ask.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Edward Powers wrote:Here is an inquiry for all in the area: I have been approached to mirror two excellent tournaments for the Northeast region---Aaron Cohen's BATE and Maggie Walker's GSAC.....
Ed,

Kellenberg would love to attend these mirrors. Some dates that would be good for us would be 12/11 (it is a shame that there is nothing relatively close on this date!!!), 1/22 (not the best, but it might work), 1/29, [2/19-2/26 are our winter break - 2/19 might work, but not 2/26], and then 4/9 (though I personally would not be able to attend on this date). Feb. and March are pretty much Science Olympiad. On most of those dates, I could bring 2 experienced moderators.

Another inquiry for you and others. If you run these two tourneys, then your excellent A team will not be able to play the questions. Is there a hard and fast rule that says host schools can not play in their touney? Yes, I know all the arguments against it, but on the other hand, I only run one tourney a year because I want my teams to play as many questions as they can. If the questions come from an outside source (NAQT, etc..), cannot we trust the adult coaches to do the right thing? Would you and others attend tourneys in which the host school fields teams? I would. And I know that some coaches would not. There are some tourneys where this occurs, but none in the NE. I wish I could run LIFT with 1 or 2 of my best teams participating and the others members of our quiz bowl squad (+ volunteers and alumni) running it. Opinions?

P.S. Are you guys going to THUNDER @ UPenn?
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Broher Nigel,

Thanks for your response and your offer to bring a 2nd reader to most of the possible dates you identified. I also saw that April 9 was a possible alternative. And thanks for the insight re: Winter break and February 19 probably being superior to February 26. If others can confirm this as well, then the 19th would be my preference, of course. And, I agree that it is a shame that there is not local tournament for December 11th.

Your question about hosts playing in their own tournament is probably worth an entire thread on this forum. I personally have no problem with it because I am sure 99% of all coaches & teams would be honorable. The real problem is probably one of perception. Take Kellenberg's normally excellent teams, this year's specifically, which can contend for a title in almost every tournament it enters, and, of course, win its fair share, as it has already done this year. Suppose, further, it entered and won this year's LIFT. Personally, I would conclude, knowing your team and kids, that such a victory was well earned and think nothing more of it, other than to congratulate your kids if I saw them. And I suspect 95-99% of all other teams and coaches in the field would do likewise. The problem is that <5% who might try to besmirch your reputation, simply because of appearances and nothing more. The question is: should such willingness to question another team's honor without any evidence other than the assumption of impropriety be the decisive factor here? I think not. Further, since we should also be teaching our kids about trust and honor and collegiality in addition to the Canon tested by quizbowl, I think we should be willing to risk the quite rare dishonorable act or unfounded accusation---but I can only speak for myself. This is why I think this issue deserves a full thread to discuss, allowing the qb communty as a whole the opportunity to weigh in on this significant question.

Now you did notice that I stated that my kids would NOT play. I did this for two reasons. First, to honor current tradition: rightly or wrongly, hosts almost never play, at least not in this region, so I accepted this tradition for now. Second, and more important, because I recently went to a tournament with excellent questions and an excellent field which nevertheless was stained by controversy, I saw that it was so stained because of a lack of competent staff. So, I wanted all of my experienced players on deck to help make sure that SJHS would run an efficient tournament that all in attendance would enjoy. These experienced players could help in many ways, but if they were playing they could not. Perhaps once I learn that the larger adult community coming could be relied upon in suffucient numbers to moderate, then I would change my mind, but for now, that was the decisive reason why I made the decision about not playing that I did.

PS: We are NOT going to THUNDER. My kids need a break---better yet, I need one!!!. But good luck to you in that very tough field.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Ed,

As I am on holiday right now, I do not have my calendar with me. However, you know that I will be more than happy to read or even handle stats if need be. In addition, I may be able to rouse an alum or two to read.

As to host teams playing in events. I certainly have no problem in regards to St. joseph's or Kellenberg doing this. However, I have attended more than one event where I feel this has been a problem. I think that each event, team, and coach needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Certainly count SHP in on whatever date you decide.

Michael
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I'll just say that if any of these tournaments are held when I'm on break I could moderate should the need arises.
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

In my opinion, the strongest reason not to compete in a tournament you host is to make sure the tournament is well-run and has staffers who know what quiz bowl is. For Samhain, for instance, we stretched a bit thin on staff with 32 teams and 16 rooms. If we had our top two teams playing, there is absolutely no way we could support more than 10 rooms unless we had people's parents or the like as moderators.
Jon Pinyan

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Aaron,

Thanks for offering to help. If you will be off on January 29th, 2011, we would love to have you moderate, for I've just received permission to use our building on that day.

BTW---> :grin: We are going to need YOUR BATE QUESTIONS, since it will be a mirror of BATE!!!

I will email you later today or this evening to work out the details, and once we do, I will post an announcement on the tournament announcement forum here on the hsquizbowl site ASAP.

Thanks for offering to read, and, thanks for offering your set!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you are off on the 29th!
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

To All in the Region:

I have just received official permission from my Administration to mirror two excellent tournaments here in the beautiful Northeast, specifically in the hometown of St. Joseph's High School, lovely Metuchen NJ. I will post an official announcement for each tournament separately once I work out the details with Aaron Cohen concerning his BATE Set and with the Maggie Walker Governor's School for its GSAC XVIII Set.

Assuming those details will be worked out in the next several days or so, here are the prospective dates:

The BATE Mirror will be on January 29th, 2011;

The GSAC XVIII Mirror will be on February 19th, 2011.

More details will be forthcoming once I confirm the use of each Set. You will notice, however, that each tournament has also been listed, tentatively, on the calendar above. And, I assume the tentative nature of each will be removed in the next several days, but I must wait to be sure about the use of each Set.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

The official announcement for the SJHS Mirror of BATE on January 29th can be found on the regular season announcements thread, entitled The Falcons' BATE.

And an official announcement for the St. Joes Mirror of Maggie Walker's GSAC XVIII on February 19th will be posted in the next day or two.

EDIT: DONE.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
WSchneider
Lulu

Post by WSchneider »

If NAQT is accurate, and no changes have been made, Chatham's annual tournament will be on May 14th. I haven't seen an announcement of any kind, but it's on the website so it might as well be worth considering as a date claimed
William Schneider
Kings Park HS 2007-2011
RPI 2011-2014

[email protected]
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

I have just posted the Chatham tournament for May 14th, using Set IS 102 for varsity teams and Speed Check # 30 for its Freshman competition. But I will go back and list it as tentative until Chatham itself confirms. I am listing it because it is announced on the NAQT website, as Will Schneider noted.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ