VCU Open: San Diego - 8/7-8

Old college threads.
Auroni
Auron

VCU Open: San Diego - 8/7-8

Post by Auroni »

The UCSD Quizbowl Team will be hosting two tournaments over the weekend of August 7th and 8th. One of them is an open level college tournament written to be in difficulty between regular and nationals-level difficulty, using ACF Regionals and ACF Nationals as benchmarks for the two. Another is a set slightly harder than the PACE NSC high school nationals, yet easier than ACF Regionals in difficulty. Both tournaments are being written in collaboration with the VCU and Michigan teams, and both are open to all players. We especially want to draw teams of local and any California high schoolers for the Sunday tournament, though it is understandable if full teams cannot assemble because this tournament is in the middle of summer. Here is some information about the events:

Schedule: The open tournament will be played on Saturday, and the high school tournament on Sunday. For anyone that wants to fly or road trip to this tournament (hint: please do), my teammates and I will happily transport you and from the airport and point you to places to stay.

If you have any questions or if you want to register, email us at [email protected] with all the necessary information.

Field:

Saturday:

UCLA people - 1
Caltech - 2
Bellarmine - ?
Torrey Pines - ?

Sunday:

UCLA people - 1
Bellarmine - ?
Torrey Pines - 1
Rancho Bernardo - 1
Caltech - ?
Last edited by Auroni on Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
cchiego
Yuna

Re: VCU Open: San Diego - 8/7-8

Post by cchiego »

I'll offer up my apartment for teams who would like to make the trip down here but might not be able to afford a place to stay. The campus is literally half a mile from the beach, so just use this as a vacation opportunity. Y'all have no excuses.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

If ticket prices come down, there's a good chance I'll come to this.

Chris: Is it easy to get from the airport to your apartment?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

I'll be glad to drive people to and from the airport (UCSD won't get a rail connection to the airport until 2016 unfortunately). I live right off the interstate and technically on-campus, so it'll be a quick drive to the tournament site.
Chris C.
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

This is a possibility for Bellarmine, although money might be a problem. We'll keep you posted.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I think this is the last weekend of my research program, and so I may or may not be able to come. I'll know more once my thing starts in mid-June, but I'm fairly certain there will be some group of people that attend UCLA in the field.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Field Update:
See below for most recent.
Last edited by cchiego on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Chris C.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Unfortunately plane tickets never went down so I won't be able to make it.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
sds
Wakka

Post by sds »

EDIT: Please contact either Auroni or Chris for details about registration, etc.
Last edited by sds on Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surya
Michigan '10 & '14
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

The opening post has been updated with more information. If you haven't signed up already, please do so now.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

UCI may send a team, not sure for what day or day(s) at this point.
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.
- Dan Quayle
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Post by Sun Devil Student »

Don't get too excited yet, but there is a bit of interest in attending this tournament here at ASU, which *might* be enough to send you one team. The damper is that we're paying entirely out of pocket, so I would inquire about what places you might be able to allow my team to stay for two nights. Which tournament to enter is still undecided - maybe both, maybe just Sunday's.
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

We may be able to expand to 4 rooms each day, pending the outcome of our room reservation request, since we've got higher-than-expected staffing interest. If so, we'll definitely take up to 8 teams each day. First-come, first-serve though and right now we have 3 teams confirmed for Sat. and 5 for Sunday, so let us know ASAP.

Kenneth, contact me by email or PM and we can discuss the housing situation in more detail since that seems to be the overriding concern here for a lot of people.
Chris C.
monsieurtaco
Kimahri

Post by monsieurtaco »

Arcadia High School may field anywhere from one to three teams of four or five on either day, though most members seem to prefer the 8th.
We are not sure precisely how many members will attend yet, but it is almost certain we can send at least one team.
Jeff Xiao, Arcadia High School
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

We have confirmed rooms for Saturday and have almost-final confirmation for Sunday. This tournament will happen both days. Final logistical details will be sent out by the end of the week.

At this point, I also have 8 confirmed teams for Sunday. That's almost our cap, considering there were only 4 rooms available in the only place on campus to reserve rooms on Sundays in the summer. We do, however, still have interest from at least two other teams (UCI and Arcadia) and I'd like to be able to accommodate that interest and expand to 10 teams to avoid byes.

On that note though, we certainly have plenty of room on Saturday.

UCI or Arcadia, I'll need an official registration from you (send it to the team email account, ucsdqb at gmail) to determine who gets the last spot if we have to cap it at 9 teams.

Fortunately though, thanks to the lovely architecture of the UCSD campus, we may be able to set up an outdoor room close by to the rooms we reserved. I'll go scout the location tomorrow and let people know if this might be possible. If it is and I can be assured of moderators being available, we'll expand to 10 teams (maybe 11).
Chris C.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

I can now staff on Sunday if needed.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

If the UCLA team wants/needs an additional person for Sunday (and possibly Saturday as well), email me at alexlw92 at yahoo dot com
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Financial roadblocks are making it harder for us to guarantee attendance. We'll keep you posted, but prospects are grim.
Tanay
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

If Bellarmine drops, Arcadia/UCI/whomever is welcome to their spots. With the interest this tournament has gotten, we'll definitely need to know as early as possible who can come. Email us if you're having problems and I'll see what we can do.

Rooms for both days are now totally confirmed. The Saturday tournament will be held in the Old Student Center. The Sunday in the Student Services Building. Final directions/times/etc. will be sent out shortly, but be prepared for a 9 AM start time for both.
Chris C.
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Does anyone want to share a hotel room with the ASU team to save money?
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
recfreq
Wakka

Post by recfreq »

We do need a hotel room for Saturday night, but I wonder how many people are too many. Seems like 8-10 per room is probably too stuffed, but we can negotiate.
Ray Luo, UCLA.
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

If it gets too crowded, I might be able to host a few...depends on if my roommates go home that weekend, I will keep you guys posted.
Darwin Fu
President- Quiz Bowl Club at UC San Diego
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I indicated to Chris that if people still need lodging, I might be able to put a few up at my house. I'm hoping that that would happen in the very worst case, however.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Seems like there are at least two teams that will need lodging, probably a 3rd if Bellarmine comes.

Also, so I checked out where we're holding the Sunday tournament and it looks like we could set up an outdoor room. We might need to find some folding chairs since the chairs in the area are all bolted to the ground, but there are plenty of outlets and tables in the area. Let me confirm that moderators are available and we can then expand the field to 10 teams.
Chris C.
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

It looks like UCLA has 6 people interested in coming (including Alex), so if any other teams could use some people, let me know and I'll let the people that are coming know. Or if there is an extra spot in the field for either day, we could take it.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
ntan
Lulu

Post by ntan »

Tracy, George, and I have been in contact with Ray Luo and we were interested in playing with a couple of UCLA team members, but this was back when Ray said only 3 UCLA people were attending. He hasn't replied to my email about whether we can join them, but at the moment, so hopefully I can sort that out with him.

What I'll say at the moment is that I'll be an available free agent, and most likely Tracy and George as well. Although we'll probably prefer participating on saturday, I'm open to playing on sunday as well.

Just curious, what is the status of the field? Is it full, if not, then maybe I can find people for an additional team?
Neiman Tan
Arcadia High School '08 / Cornell University '12
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Basically from a really long thread on Facebook, as far as continuing UCLA students we had Ray, Mik, Tirth, and Richard for Saturday, and Ray, Mik, and Richard for Sunday.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

I've been updating the field in my post further up in the thread, but here are the fields as I have it right now:

Saturday: 6 confirmed teams (4 rooms confirmed; 4 moderators confirmed)
UCLA
Caltech (2 teams of 3)
Refugees from the Madrean Sky Island Immigrant Turkeyshoot
Free agent Team One
Free agent Team Two

Note that there will be some number of free agents available (more are welcome), so I'll try to make it so there are at least 4 competitive teams playing, depending on who shows up (6 if possible, but that would depend on both UCI and Bellarmine coming for sure probably). We would love to have more people on this day though (anyone from the Bay Area want to come down?).

Sunday: 9 confirmed teams; 10 available slots (5 rooms confirmed; 5 moderators confirmed).
UCLA
Caltech (2)
Rancho Bernardo
University HS
Parched Denizens of the Sentinel Plain Volcanic Field
Torrey Pines
Arcadia (2)

I'm bringing the 3 folding chairs that I have (if anyone else has a couple to bring, that'd be great- there are tables and 4 chairs chained to the table, but no other easily available chairs), so I think we can confirm an outdoor room for Sunday and bump up the limit on teams to 10. Not sure about free agents on Sunday, but I'm sure there will be a spot or two available on some team if anyone wants it.

I have sent out the logistical emails to all the teams that I have registered; let me know if you're a free agent and want a copy of them too so you know where to show up (and let me know so I can know how many free agents to expect!).
Last edited by cchiego on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:37 am, edited 7 times in total.
Chris C.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Swank diet wrote:UCI (maybe)
We will hopefully figure this out at practice tomorrow night. Are you counting me as one of your confirmed Sunday staffers?
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Transportation and other logistical issues have forced Bellarmine to drop from this event. We share your disappointment (if applicable). I feel fairly qualified in saying that once the school year rolls around and we get help with finances, we can make future SoCal tournaments with some degree of regularity.
Tanay
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

NoWayItsTanay wrote:Transportation and other logistical issues have forced Bellarmine to drop from this event. We share your disappointment (if applicable). I feel fairly qualified in saying that once the school year rolls around and we get help with finances, we can make future SoCal tournaments with some degree of regularity.
Sorry to hear about that; hope you can find a way to make it down here in the future.
cvdwightw wrote:We will hopefully figure this out at practice tomorrow night. Are you counting me as one of your confirmed Sunday staffers?
Swank diet wrote:UCI (maybe)
We will hopefully figure this out at practice tomorrow night. Are you counting me as one of your confirmed Sunday staffers?
Not counting you; I'm counting myself, Micah, Darwin, Brian T., and Charles Meigs for Sunday. Please let me know though ASAP if Irvine is going to field a team on Sat. or Sunday.
Chris C.
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Just a heads-up: ASU's chance of being able to attend has slightly declined and now stands at about 80%. One member estimates a 75% chance he can get his parents' permission to use their car, which is a safe and reliable transport. If that car is unavailable, the team will have to use the car belonging to another member; this other car needs a $100 tire change (the tire treads are dangerously worn), has a steering wheel that wobbles badly above 65 mph (creating a risk of losing control at high speeds), and has a crack on the windshield that may spread under high-speed wind forces (replacing the windshield would be $200).

75% probability: 1 ASU team with a good car, playing Sunday and possibly Saturday.
5% probability: 1 ASU team in a poor-condition car, this would require driving the whole way at <65mph which would be rather slow
20% probability: ASU decides it's not worth the physical risk to cross the desert with a bad vehicle

Will know for certain within the next couple of days.
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Good news: ASU will be attending this after all. In addition, my team wishes to enter Saturday's tournament as well as Sunday's. What is the combined registration fee for both? (I heard something about a discount for playing both days; is this still available?)

I am not able to attend myself but will split the cost with my 4 members who are going as their coach.

ASU might be slightly late to Saturday's tournament if the road trip takes longer than expected, as the car-possessing member of our team is not able to leave Tempe until after midnight Saturday morning. They are planning to leave shortly after midnight to arrive at dawn.
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

The field update I've posted earlier in the thread is the field as I currently have it, with 4 teams registered for Saturday (plus 5 or so free agents that we'll figure out what to do with depending on if UCI comes) and 9 registered for Sunday. I've drawn up schedules for anything from 7-10 teams on Sunday, so we should be good there, although I would rather not have byes if possible. Expect at least a full round robin followed by some kind of rebracketing.

Teams planning to attend should let me know if you didn't get the logistics email with all the information about where and when the tournaments will be taking place; I thought I sent it out to at least one contact on every team that I had been corresponding with, but it appears some people didn't get it.
Chris C.
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

One more request to UCSD staff: Can you have my team *not* listed as "Arizona State University" for liability reasons?

Because one member cannot leave before midnight Saturday and another must be back by 8:30am Monday, my team is planning a fatigue-prone (therefore, riskier than normal) trip where they will drive over in the early morning Saturday, play both tournaments with only 1 full night's rest (if that) and return on Sunday night, driving essentially both ways in the dark while not very well rested. As this is a bit more challenging than our usual daytime travels, we are going to be a bit more cautious. My team members (with a contribution from me as their coach although I am unable to attend in person) are paying for the whole trip themselves and so as long as our University's name is not invoked they and the rest of ASU Quizbowl should not have any legal problems.

My team members will provide you with their desired team name upon arrival.

Thanks for your consideration.
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

At this point, it looks like we'll now have SIX teams on Saturday thanks to a huge free agent influx. We should still have room for more free agents if anyone else wants to show up.

I'd still be interested in more free agents for Sunday to get to 10 teams (or having a team combine and drop to 8). Nine is just a terrible number of teams and I'd like to be able to give as many teams as possible a tournament worth their while with as few byes as possible, so keep me abreast of any new updates in team changes or if more random (but welcome!) groups of free agents decide to come.

Note that I took the liberty of giving appropriate names to non-affiliated groups of people.
Chris C.
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Put me in as a free agent for Sunday, though probably all I know well enough to be competitive is science.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Alright, we will now go with a 6 team schedule on Saturday and a 10 team schedule on Sunday.

Please get in touch with me if you have any issues; see y'all tomorrow.
Chris C.
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

UCLA won the Saturday phase of this tournament handily, with the team of (mostly) Dwight solo coming in second. Top scorers I believe were Dwight, Ray Luo, Alan from Caltech, and Mik... stats will be posted tomorrow when I get my hands on the laptop we used. After the tournament finished, some people stuck around and we played an eclectic combination of questions, including Mike Cheyne's politics packet, which I at least enjoyed.

Thanks to the players for coming today; see everyone tomorrow.
Chris C.
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Now on the lunch break for Sunday. Despite narrowly averting room reservation disaster, we're through 4 rounds.

Saturday Stats.
Chris C.
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Thanks to all the teams who came down today; apologies for the slight delay at the start as we hunted up the UCSD facilities management chain of command to get the rooms unlocked. Please let me know what you thought of the tournament and if there's anything that we could do better next time.

An enormous thank-you goes to Dwight Wynne, who drove down today and moderated in our awesomely chilly outdoor "room." Many thanks to Darwin for moderating several matches as well as George formerly of Arcadia who also stepped in for a few rounds. Brian Tsui's excellent room reservation service and quick thinking (getting the campus police on our side by asking them famous Supreme Court-related decisions) enabled us to magically unlock a number of locked doors today and Micah Manary's speedy moderating kept him at the front of the moderator pack. Charles Meigs also deserves thanks for coming down and moderating both Saturday and Sunday.

EDIT: Also big thanks to Vivek who did an excellent job keeping track of stats on both days.

As far as the actual results went, UCLA easily cleared the field with only one close match (with University High School). Caltech A finished in 2nd and University was 3rd. Note that the free agent team was an exhibition team due to members rotating out to staff.

Sunday Prelim Stats
Sunday Playoff/Final Ranking Stats
Last edited by cchiego on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris C.
sharadmv
Lulu

Post by sharadmv »

when will the questions be posted?
Sharad Vikram
Torrey Pines '11
Berkeley '15
Creator of Quizbowl DB: http://www.quizbowldb.com