subject binders

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Bonito
Lulu

subject binders

Post by Bonito »

Back in junior high Science Oympiad, my coach was avidly enthusiastic about event-specific binders. In the binder would be a guideline of basic activities to do or packets of information that were highly valuable to the event. Students were supposed to put anything they learned in the binders, and eventually it would be a compendium of study information. Naturally, Science Olympiad has a much smaller number of available questions, and some events would allow teams to use the binders. This seems like a good way to keep track of advances in learning.

Does anybody apply the idea of subject specific binders to quizbowl? It seems like a smart way to carry on knowledge from team A to incoming freshmen. I picture having a binder library with things like "American Novels", "Poetry", "American History pre-1865" evolving from an initial library of the main areas. In each binder would be tabs of "category questions from recent novice tournaments", "category questions from recent hsreg", and then acffall or pace too. Other sections of the binder could be "questions written", "stuff I keep missing", "basic lists". In reality it might not get that complex, but is this a good idea to get people who don't like reading gazillions of old packets to keep studying quizbowl? Any opinions on this method?
Greg Dzuricsko; Lisle 2011
jonah
Auron

Re: subject binders

Post by jonah »

I think Stevenson does stuff like this, and I'm sure others do too. I like the idea, and one possible SCOP project would be developing standardized such binders.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

jonah wrote:I think Stevenson does stuff like this, and I'm sure others do too. I like the idea, and one possible SCOP project would be developing standardized such binders.
Isn't HSAPQ working on some kind of encyclopedia of the HS canon?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

I had a rather large binder, but it was basically a catch-all for any information I was sure I couldn't memorize by reading online. Part of it included my own notes, but I never put questions in there.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
WildKard
Lulu

Post by WildKard »

I do this to study and it works fairly well. However, I just have several word documents saved on the thumb drive that I carry around with me. They're all backed up, of course, and have been helpful.
Arnav Sastry
LASA '14
Texas '18
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

WildKard wrote:I do this to study and it works fairly well. However, I just have several word documents saved on the thumb drive that I carry around with me. They're all backed up, of course, and have been helpful.
Ha, wow... and you're not even in high school yet officially. LASA's going to be pretty darn good for a pretty darn long time i guess, huh?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

I have my "quizbowl notebook" that is separated into several subjects, and on my computer I have word documents with notes separated by subject. It makes things easier to study.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

jonah wrote:I think Stevenson does stuff like this, and I'm sure others do too. I like the idea, and one possible SCOP project would be developing standardized such binders.
I like this idea and have used it myself. A lot of SCOP study sheets are getting compiled from information that was once a part of my binder and is now a part of a full box of study information. I do think, however, that this isn't really something that anyone can do for someone else. To my thinking, most of the benefit that such binders provide to quiz bowl programs lies in the act of compiling data. As with writing questions and creating study sheets, collecting information in a binder helps students feel ownership toward that binder and they connect with the content more. I wouldn't want to take that away from anyone. I also think that no single organization could ever generate a truly effective comprehensive binder system that makes sense for all schools, and that coaches are less likely to make pre-prepared material available to their team members. I know from experience that if someone dislikes an aspect of a program, they're likely to set aside any information gained from that source without reading it, something that they never would do with their own binder system.

The upshot of all of that is this: While SCOP will provide teams with the basic study sheets, question writing guides, study techniques, and information about different formats and other sources of reliable information, we won't (and probably shouldn't) provide students with prepackaged binders. We just can't let them assume that other people will do the work for them on this one.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
WildKard
Lulu

Post by WildKard »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:
WildKard wrote:I do this to study and it works fairly well. However, I just have several word documents saved on the thumb drive that I carry around with me. They're all backed up, of course, and have been helpful.
Ha, wow... and you're not even in high school yet officially. LASA's going to be pretty darn good for a pretty darn long time i guess, huh?
Ideally yes. The trick is to keep studying. Gotta love middle school programs.
Arnav Sastry
LASA '14
Texas '18