Community College Prediction Thread, '10-'11

Old college threads.
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Community College Prediction Thread, '10-'11

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

With Mike Cheyne making the college prediction thread, I figured now is as good of a time as any to make the CC version. Hopefully we can avoid any of the bulletin board stuff and participate in constructive discussion. My status for quizbowl at Santa Fe has not been fully determined (depending on whether they have an active program), but as it stands now I do not plan on playing on the CC circuit this year. With that said, here is my list of teams that are important:

1. Chipola A (AKA Dallin Kelson) - Dallin is an outstanding player who continues to improve every week, and I have gotten to see this improvement over the past year as Dallin surpassed me as the most consistent and best player on Chipola A in the process of leading Chipola to the best year we have ever had. While Chipola didn't live up to expectations at CCCT (finishing 4th), they did manage an impressive performance at ICT (beating both St. Charles and Northeast Alabama) behind Dallin's impressive showing. I think that this will finally be Chipola's year, as the CCCT field is much weaker this year than last yearas well as the one man team being Chipola's best ever. I believe that Dallin can make the top bracket at ICT amd possibly even compete for the title there (depending on whether or not Matt Jackson, Matt Bollinger, et al play D-I or D-II). He is that good.

2. Snead State - Really, Snead State (behind Mark Morris) is the only team I see with a shot at beating Dallin (unless I play at Santa Fe). Snead finished 3rd at CCCT last year and beat Chipola twice (although Dallin was only beaten once by them), but after their bottom tier finish at ICT, as well as a less-than-impressive bonus average at CCCT makes me question their ability to hang over the course of a round. I put them at 2 because of the fact that they will beat* every other team they play, with the exception of teams on this list and Mark Morris is a good player who will average 70 ppr at every tournament this year while playing on a team with fairly decent players.

3. Valencia - Do I know who is playing for them next year? Not at all, but I do know that Borglum will take whatever social outcasts and/or music majors he gets his hands on and turn them into good players. As with Chipola's Stan Young, Borglum has the ability to take players with a fleeting interest in quizbowl and turn them into good players. Unless an unknown, extremely talented player comes in and takes everyone by surprise, I think this will be a year where Valencia will still beat most CC teams (just because of the fact that they have Borglum) but will struggle against Chipola and Snead. Valencia will probably still qualify for ICT, but this is less of an endorsement for how good they are and more of an indictment for the lack of talent on the CC circuit. (Bulletin board etc etc)

4. Northeast Alabama - Losing ~95 percent of your scoring does not bode well for the future, and Northeast will get to experience a feeling Tim Floyd knows all too well. With Casey and Cord both leaving, Northeast has little talent returning, and I do not think they will be competitive at the national or state level.

5. Seminole CC - I am not certain whether or not the surprise team from last year will have players returning, but if they do I think they will qualify for ICT and will compete for second at CCCT.

I know it appears that I am "homering" it up, but Dallin will have a great chance at being the leading scorer at D-II ICT and will probably average over 100 points at every tournament he plays in this year.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: Community College Prediction Thread, '10-'11

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

I predict a totally overlooked high schooler will go to a CC for whatever reason, show up, and win this again.

Also I hear Cord is going to Alabama but where is Casey going (or is he gone gone)?
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:I predict a totally overlooked high schooler will go to a CC for whatever reason, show up, and win this again.
I left room for that possibility in the Valencia prediction under the assumption that they would come out of Orlando (even though the two best HS players I know of come out of the panhandle). Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if, for the 3rd year in a row, some player comes out of nowhere to win it.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

I figure I'll do some rankings too.

1. Chipola - Dallin is a phenomenal player and I look forward to the epic matches we will have, which at the moment may amount to 3 including CCCT. They were predicted number 1 last year but finished 4th at CCCT only to have an impressive showing at ICT. With this year's CC teams probably not being as competitive this year, Chipola has a very very good shot at taking home the National Championship, but then again the team that's usually predicted number one doesn't stay there most of the time. Dallin is probably going to get top scorer at 90% of the tournaments Chipola attends without a player like Ethan on the team with him. I predict a very nice ICT/CCCT finish for Chipola.

2. Snead State - Due to my diminished ACBL Eligibility (damn rules) I will only be limited to SCT, CCCT, ICT and whatever other non-NAQT tournaments I or the team decide to attend. Without me the team still has Tiffany Rainwater, who played at Brindlee Mtn and is very capable of totally destroying some of the Alabama CC teams herself. We're also getting an influx of kids from the local high school near Snead and they have some potential as well, Snead might actually be able to field 2 teams at a tournament this year (not holding my breath on it though.) We plan on attending EFT(which is probably going to be me solo) and hopefully ACF Fall and Regionals this year. I'm not going to predict Snead to take home the ACBL State title this year, but I will say they're definitely in contention. Also, we hope to have a much more impressive showing at ICT.

3. Valencia - As Ethan said, he has no idea who's going to play for them, but knowing Borglum he'll find some good ones. They may not be up to the National Title level yet, but by next year they are sure to be with a coach as good as Chris. I sadly only got to play the full Valencia A Team once last year but it was a very enjoyable match and they were a good team. Although I don't expect them to give Dallin a run for his money in the Florida CC scene, they should be very competitive against others.

4. Fayette - This team is a wild card because at times they can play very great but they can also miss some very obvious answers. They return their top scorer who I predict will get MVP at most of the ACBL tournaments if Tiffany doesn't. They lose Scarlett and Peyton but they seemed to have potential in their B-Team (unless of course their B-Team is gone too) I think Fayette is the pre-season favorite for the ACBL title but anything can happen.

5. Seminole - I'm putting Seminole here because I'm assuming that none of them graduated, however if they did then I'll edit the rankings accordingly. They were a very surprising team, beating Northeast at DB last year and playing 2 very close games with Snead at CCCT and ICT, the latter of which went to a 3 question shoot out. Kat seemed to be a very good player and the Rojay guy was a very nice support to compliment Kat.

6. I'm leaving 6 as a wild card, because as George said it's quite possible for some random overlooked high schooler to go to a CC and win this again, which would push the above teams down a spot. However assuming that doesn't happen this spot could get filled by Jasper or Santa Fe could push some teams down if Ethan plays.

Teams on the bubble and capable of making some noise this year:

Northwest Shoals - They were pretty much a one-man team last year and didn't have much to support Jeremy, but they get a nice player from Russellville who is capable of being a very solid #2 on the team. I don't look for them to win the State Title, but they are capable of upsetting some teams if they decide to go to CCCT.

Northeast - I can't exactly count them out, because of that one guy on their B-Team whose name escapes me showed potential as well. If he studied some this summer he is capable of leading Northeast to some decent finishes, although nowhere near their finishes in the Casey/Cord days.

Santa Fe - Due to the uncertainty of one Ethan Hewett, I'm unsure as to ranking them or not. If Ethan plays they're a Top 3 team, if he doesn't play, then they aren't.

Jasper - Bobo is a very good coach and their A-Team gave us some competitive games last year and even hung with Northeast at CCCT, coming close to defeating them. I know this year they will be even better and be a legit contender for the ACBL State Title. I predict a good showing at CCCT and possibly even them going to ICT this year.
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Frater Taciturnus wrote: Also I hear Cord is going to Alabama but where is Casey going (or is he gone gone)?
Well it was rumored Casey was going anywhere from Athens State to Alabama, but last I heard Casey is going to Virginia College for an IT program because of his current IT job at Office Depot. It has apparently swayed his interest from teaching.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote: Also I hear Cord is going to Alabama but where is Casey going (or is he gone gone)?
Well it was rumored Casey was going anywhere from Athens State to Alabama, but last I heard Casey is going to Virginia College for an IT program because of his current IT job at Office Depot. It has apparently swayed his interest from teaching.
For like 2 seconds i read that as going to Virginia and nearly had a panic attack.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I am also pretty sure that Cord is going to Alabama but I will ask him and find out
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

1) Douglass's Law will hold true as every quizbowl player in Florida continues to transfer among every college in Florida until they have played at least one semester for every team that exists south of the Okefenokee.

2) No southeastern team will ever win CCCT. A one-man team that by all rights should not be in community college will win it this year as in every year.

3) Tournaments will be held on A-sets, to much gnashing of teeth by some and lack of shame by others.

4) Hot tubs?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Matt Weiner wrote:1) Douglass's Law will hold true as every quizbowl player in Florida continues to transfer among every college in Florida until they have played at least one semester for every team that exists south of the Okefenokee.
Not to be confused with Douglass' Law of Teams Leaving Early, I guess?
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I'm not familiar with this concept of players transferring all over Florida as a meme. Valencia had a good player named Will (but not super-elite or anything) transfer from FCC-Jacksonville about ten years ago, and now we have Ethan moving to Gainesville, but I'm not aware of this being a thing the QB world knows us for. Odd.

I can't argue with anything that Ethan and Mark wrote. Since all the top CC teams at CCCT last year have lost quality players, it's very hard to know who will be good, but it's certain that every team in Florida, with the exception of Chipola, will not be as strong this year. It all depends on recruiting, which we'll be more active in this year than the last couple. But it's worth noting that Andrew Levin's younger brother will be joining us, and though he's no Paul (I think it's Paul?) Kelson, I'm hoping he'll be as eager as his brother to get better.

Sadly, my hot tub needs a new cover, which is about $300-400. I've decided to wait to replace it until October, when it's nice to be out there in the evening with some Red Stripe to watch the Thursday night CFB or Sponge Bob with my daughter (tv with cable on porch--priceless!). I wish it were as exciting as the QB world facetiously asserts, but the continued belief in my debauchery warms my aging cockles.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

I think Mark and Ethan have it right. Although Matt is right that most likely a one man team will show up and just piss everybody off for the third straight year.
Owen Cooper
Gadsden City High School '07
Alabama '11

Out of business.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

It's nice to see how people feel about J. Sargent Reynolds's title.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

A one-man team that by all rights should not be in community college
most likely a one man team will show up and just piss everybody off for the third straight year.
welp
:sad:
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
A one-man team that by all rights should not be in community college
most likely a one man team will show up and just piss everybody off for the third straight year.
welp
:sad:
I think everyone's forgotten that George won a national championship shot via his CCCCCCCT, meaning he'll savagely attack both finalists at this year's ACF Nationals before cashing in that shot and getting an easy win against an unconscious Andrew Yaphe, kicking off the biggest qb heel turn in years.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Hey, George had a teammate!

Also, George, I don't recall anyone from any CC I talked to having a beef with JSR's winning.
Chris Borglum
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Also, George, I don't recall anyone from any CC I talked to having a beef with JSR's winning.
I really can't think of anyone having a beef with it either. However I do remember our match had an answer that came up twice in the same round baffling both of us, seems like it was Gamma or something.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
CaseRAR
Lulu

Post by CaseRAR »

Lol. One would think my face was on a milk carton by reading these posts.
Casey Lowery,
Northeast Alabama Community College
Brindlee Mountain High School '08
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

CaseRAR wrote:Lol. One would think my face was on a milk carton by reading these posts.
That's what you get for getting married and going to someplace other than UA!
Owen Cooper
Alabama '11

Out of business.
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

In an effort to revive this topic and also due to my being stuck at home due to this weird white matter covering the ground in Alabama (hooray for getting a whole 2 days of practice in before the tournament!), lets do some Sectional Predictions.

As for the Alabama Sectional, it's going to be interesting with Snead, Jasper, Fayette and possible cinderella teams like Northwest Shoals and Northeast. I hope we can go out with a win in my final CC Sectional tournament. It won't be easy though.

Prediction:
1st - Snead
2nd - Jasper
3rd - Fayette
4th - Northwest Shoals

Now this is the usual part where I say Chipola and Valencia are going to win the two FL sectionals, but I just looked and saw there was only one, which is interesting. I think Dallin is gonna win that sectional (don't hurt me Borglum) with Valencia coming in 2nd, but upsets have been known to happen.

Prediction:
1st - Dallin
2nd - Valencia (insert color/letter designation here)
3rd - Seminole???
4th - Another Chipola/Valencia team

Aside from that I don't know much if any about any of the other Sectionals. So Chris, or anyone else for that matter, if you have any insight to share on the Missouri, Mississippi, Kansas, Illinois, or Kentucky Sectional please go right ahead.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I wish I could provide insight into the Illinois CCSCT, but I'm slated to staff, and I've heard jack shit.
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:...if you have any insight to share on the Missouri...Sectional...
This probably won't be happening because of a lack of teams. SCC will probably be going to the Illinois Sectional.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

dtaylor4 wrote:I wish I could provide insight into the Illinois CCSCT, but I'm slated to staff, and I've heard jack shit.
I haven't heard anything either. The TD doesn't answer emails.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

That's too bad--I was looking forward to seeing another state see some CC participation. Still, maybe there's something happening and the TD is just not very communicative?

Anyway, yeah, just one Florida SCT, so that means around 22 teams. Unfortunately, NW Florida State College (nee Okaloosa-Walton) doesn't play this, so that's one very good team out. So after Dallin, it's likely a dogfight between the three Valencia teams and the other two Chipola teams, with Seminole and Broward probably in the mix. Still, it's completely possible that no Valencia team will finish in the top four if things don't go well, as I'm splitting the Red team to maximize the chances of getting three teams qualified for CCCT. I don't think it's farfetched to see as many as ten teams coming out of this sectional, now that Missouri's won't go, and it seems entirely possible that Mississippi won't, either. And then I think it's possible that Chipola and Valencia might make up six of those. Good times.

I was about to ask why you don't have Bevill in your top four until I just remembered that that's who Jasper is. So okay then.
Chris Borglum
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I can't really see Kentucky providing any top level teams either, seeing as all the CCs here play quick recall stuff.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

Edward Elric wrote:
dtaylor4 wrote:I wish I could provide insight into the Illinois CCSCT, but I'm slated to staff, and I've heard jack shit.
You should be able to reach Michael Schrader of Moraine Valley CC at [email protected].
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

Well...after getting thrashed, in consecutive matches no less, by the Kell brothers, I think without a doubt that the only question is whether Dallin and crew have a match within 300 points or not, dude is a beast, and his brother put up impressive stats along with him last weekend. NWFS was also very impressive, though I suppose they aren't going to SCT. I suppose the next best team is de facto Snead with Mark, hopefully giving Alabama another top 2 or 3 appearance again. And given Dallin's dominance over seasoned four years, like at ACF Fall, I think he is guaranteed a top 3 finish at ICT as well, if not the overall title.

Roll tide.
James A. Johnson
University of West Florida
formerly of Alabama and Faulkner State

I am an alum of southern quizbowl, the worst form imaginable, and hope and pray that the bearded quizgods shine down their rotund grace upon us all.
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

I will take Mr. Kelson as well. In addition, I predict that Mr. Kelson will win D2 ICT. That will conclude my list of predictions for now.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

Post by Kwang the Ninja »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Unfortunately, NW Florida State College (nee Okaloosa-Walton) doesn't play this
They are this year!
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

I feel fairly confident saying that at this point there isn't anyone in the CC crowd who has any business consistently beating Dallin on high school/ DII sectionals questions outside of 1-2 bump-in-the-road surprise losses (at low difficulties, they happen). (BULLETIN BOARD)

While I'm sure Dallin will be pleased to read all these people, myself included, heaping praise and expectations of victory on him, saying he is going to power a team to winning DII ICT is actually kinda ridiculous with the number of really good freshmen/sophomores that may end up playing DII this year. Given that we won't know who the top DII NAQT teams will be made of until SCT is over at the earliest, declarations of victory at DII ICT seem far fetched and hollow.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

They are this year!
So NWFSC is coming? As of last Saturday their players said they hadn't been able to talk their administrative types into it. I'm guessing you've heard different since then.

Hmm. Now I'm getting worried about splitting up our teams . . . .
Chris Borglum
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Papa's in the House wrote:
Edward Elric wrote:
You should be able to reach Michael Schrader of Moraine Valley CC at [email protected].
Also that email address isnt active.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

DarkMatter wrote:I will take Mr. Kelson as well. In addition, I predict that Mr. Kelson will win D2 ICT. That will conclude my list of predictions for now.
You have now just doomed Dallin into not winning anything.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:I feel fairly confident saying that at this point there isn't anyone in the CC crowd who has any business consistently beating Dallin on high school/ DII sectionals questions outside of 1-2 bump-in-the-road surprise losses (at low difficulties, they happen). (BULLETIN BOARD)

While I'm sure Dallin will be pleased to read all these people, myself included, heaping praise and expectations of victory on him, saying he is going to power a team to winning DII ICT is actually kinda ridiculous with the number of really good freshmen/sophomores that may end up playing DII this year. Given that we won't know who the top DII NAQT teams will be made of until SCT is over at the earliest, declarations of victory at DII ICT seem far fetched and hollow.
Since you decided to call my prediction out, in particular:

While you make a good point, you must realize that the you and other members of the quizbowl community dismissing even the remotest possibility of great things coming out of a team that has added both myself and Dargan Ware to its lineup since the start of the year is far more preposterous than my previous statement regarding the DII ICT. You praise freshmen, and blindly dismiss a team whose top three players have a combined 20+ years of experience on the circuit, numerous sectional titles, and too many scoring awards to say they are flukes, so I don't know what your predictions are worth either, per se. Speaking of predictions, I can't wait to see that new poll, George! Hahahahaha!!!

Here's a better prediction for you. Chances are that if I make a comment, Dees will be right around the corner to have something sarcastic to say. Oh look, there he is right now! How are you doing, Charlie? Long time, no see.

User was banned for three days for attempting to dictate who may reply to his posts and how, after previously being told to get on his best behavior following his last attempt at martyrdom. --the mgmt
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

DarkMatter wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote:I feel fairly confident saying that at this point there isn't anyone in the CC crowd who has any business consistently beating Dallin on high school/ DII sectionals questions outside of 1-2 bump-in-the-road surprise losses (at low difficulties, they happen). (BULLETIN BOARD)

Since you decided to call my prediction out, in particular:

While you make a good point, you must realize that the you and other members of the quizbowl community dismissing even the remotest possibility of great things coming out of a team that has added both myself and Dargan Ware to its lineup since the start of the year is far more preposterous than my previous statement regarding the DII ICT. You praise freshmen, and blindly dismiss a team whose top three players have a combined 20+ years of experience on the circuit, numerous sectional titles, and too many scoring awards to say they are flukes, so I don't know what your predictions are worth either, per se. Speaking of predictions, I can't wait to see that new poll, George! Hahahahaha!!!

Here's a better prediction for you. Chances are that if I make a comment, Dees will be right around the corner to have something sarcastic to say. Oh look, there he is right now! How are you doing, Charlie? Long time, no see.

User was banned for three days for attempting to dictate who may reply to his posts and how, after previously being told to get on his best behavior following his last attempt at martyrdom. --the mgmt
*ring ring* Hello? Dr. Zaius? I have a new post for you...
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

DarkMatter wrote:You [...] blindly dismiss a team whose top three players have a combined 20+ years of experience on the circuit, numerous sectional titles, and too many scoring awards to say they are flukes
...which lost to, among other teams, a high school and the very CC player under discussion here at EFT...
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

In the interest of fairness, and because I am a former member of UA's team, let me say that while Jake has a tendency to be over the top, he is not wrong in some of his assertions about the lack of general respect with regards to UA's team, or more specifically, the douche-laced tone some take when talking about such subjects, but then again this board has yet to have a dearth of such intonations or people.

More on topic, I think the idea that saying Dallin et al being a favorite to win DII ICT is hollow and far fetched...is hollow and far fetched. His stats on quality sets is within range of a favorite. Besides...it's a prediction thread. There is, in my opinion, no way in which Chipola does not finish outside the top 3. But then again...the proper manner of conveying ideas and thoughts common to this forum has not yet been upheld..."How dare you (all under the sun) challenge my findings and speculation! You obviously are just ignoble and have no place making such grandiose statements, since you do not have the credibility of beating the right opponents on the right questions...and when you did, that packet was skewed with too much geography! Plus, you lost to that dude, I mean, it was THAT DUDE. Next time, think about how much you will offend the general public's sense of quizbowl aesthetics with such sentiments about your team's potential, just sit there pray you break 5 bpc at Chicago Open...fing Chuck Norris."

User was banned for 1 day for telling people how to post. --the mgmt
James A. Johnson

I am an alum of southern quizbowl, the worst form imaginable, and hope and pray that the bearded quizgods shine down their rotund grace upon us all.
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Prediction: Due to some technical glitch, State College is somehow registered for DII ICT, and win every game by 700 points.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

Post by Kwang the Ninja »

In an attempt to save this thread from Insane Vikings Fan Zaius, here are a few predictions of my own for the Florida CCSCT.

1. Borglum’s plan to split his team and qualify three teams does not go as well as he had planned. South Florida CC transfer Paul Helelfinger defects back to his old school, leaving Valencia Blood Meridian in a state of shock that leads to a 2-11 record. Valencia All the Pretty Horses give Borglum a faint glimmer of hope when David Jimenez first-lines a tossup on the Battle of the Caudine Forks, but subsequently make him consider suicide when they throw The Scarlet Letter for every part of a William Faulkner bonus. Valencia The Road have a good measure of success, then lose a critical match in true Valencia fashion by negging the final tossup with “Operation Lord Over”.

2. Chipola’s bid to qualify three teams doesn’t go very well either. Dallin Kelson, playing solo as Chipola Arrogant Bastard, decides that he is as good as Larry Bird and begins buzzing left-handed after the fourth round. Unfortunately, his left hand is still under the control of a rakshasa named Malajapasurivajra who is obsessed with The Foundation Pit and who negs every tossup by either saying Platonov, Foundation Pit, or Voshchev. True to form, Dallin refuses to switch hands, and finishes with a Freeburg-esque stat line of 17-25-101. Chipola Trash Packets live up to their name, powering all the trash questions in their respective areas (golf, video games, terrible music, and chick lit). Unfortunately, their tournament is derailed in the fifth round when Annemarie Nichols finally snaps and bludgeons Harrison Fuqua to death with her well-worn copy of Jane Eyre. She is eventually sentenced to 15 hours of community service. Chipola Things Paul Apart do well, but miss out on the top bracket when Alton Stone negs a Melville tossup with “Billy Budd”, despite the fact that “for 10 points, name this author of Billy” had already been read.

3. Interestingly enough, other teams will come to the Florida CCSCT and have things happen to them.

4. The Artists Formerly Known as OWC play well throughout the day, but benefit greatly from NAQT’s last minute decision to make the distribution of the last packet 12/12 comp math and 12/12 history questions written by Mike Cheyne. Sarah Hooper goes 11/0/1 in the round, but NWFSC ice their victory when Andrew Dobin powers the 12th tossup based on an anecdote about a strange encounter Ceauşescu had with seven clowns and a 6-ton elephant.

5. Ahmad Ragab and Billy Beyer find a major loophole in the NAQT eligibility rules and show up to play as Ragabilly State College. Unfortunately, their well-documented mutual hatred of NAQT boils over during the second round, when Ahmad is beaten to a tossup on Gadamer that exclusively uses clues about his youthful athletic achievements. Ahmad’s nuclear core overheats and explodes, instantly killing Billy and the unsuspecting moderator and leaving Marianna, Florida slightly less inhabitable for the next 300 years.

6. Other teams, including Tallahassee Community College, Gulf Coast Community College, South Florida Community College, and Florida State College at Jacksonville, show up and have a relatively normal experience, despite a few hiccups in their respective schedules caused by the aforementioned nuclear disaster.
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

You, sir, have done it right.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

If Valencia ever goes to McCarthy novels for names, surely I'll use Suttree and Outer Dark rather than The Road and No Country, which, while still great, do not embody the cruel majesty of those earlier works. But Blood Meridian's gotta be one of them.

After Dallin wins CCCT, he's going to do some serious damage to the DII field at ICT. I don't know if he'll win, as I'm not really familiar with the other DII teams around the country. But nobody's going to outwork him on the way there. But since I shouldn't be just heaping praise on our arch-rival, it's incumbent on me to note he's still a skinny little runt whose quiz bowl destruction is my main goal for the next six days. Chipola delenda est!
Chris Borglum
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

Go Snead!!
Owen Cooper
Alabama '11

Out of business.
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

I noticed that Montgomery College is going to be at TIT and David Cohen of Quince Orchard fame is at MC I'm pretty sure.

Also why is it that basically every team mentioned in this thread is in Alabama or Florida?
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Montgomery College will also be attending DII SCT at Moravian.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Also why is it that basically every team mentioned in this thread is in Alabama or Florida?
Those are the twin epicenters of CC quiz bowl! And angry church marquees!
Chris Borglum
MarcP
Kimahri

Post by MarcP »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:
Those are the twin epicenters of CC quiz bowl! And angry church marquees!
Lol. That's what it sounds like.

Hopefully our Broward team will have a decent result. Three of our stronger people were either unable to come or ineligible to play. We're still knocking the rust off from Christmas break.
Marc Pianelli
Broward College '09-'11
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Results from the Alabama Sectional

1st Snead State A 11-0
2nd Jasper A 10-1
3rd Northwest Shoals 9-2
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Mark, if you get hold of the stats from Alabama's SCT, could you please e-mail them to me and Stan Young? It will be instructive to see the numbers.

Here's hoping the Mississippi sectional winner was able to average 10 ppb this year!
Chris Borglum
geekjohnson
Wakka

Post by geekjohnson »

As much as I love the ACBL, they are notorious in the statistics department. Unless required by NAQT, thankfully, they refuse to use SQBS and rely on an antiquated spread sheet system. Which would be fine, if not for the obsolete nature of it, as it does not track powers, negs, or bpc.
James A. Johnson

49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

To add to what James said above, I also don't think they e-mail every coach a copy of the stats. For all I know, the only people who have a copy are Jim Sanford, who kept stats, Lucy at Jeff State and lastly NAQT, who will hopefully post them shortly. I'd love to see them myself. Any word on the other Sectionals?
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:NAQT, who will hopefully post them shortly.
Alabama CC SCT stats
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred