Announcement: Must Go Fastererer: The Jeff Goldblum Memorial

Old college threads.
MacSR
Lulu

Announcement: Must Go Fastererer: The Jeff Goldblum Memorial

Post by MacSR »

I'm cross-posting an announcement from the quizbowl canada yahoo group for a summer trash tourney in Hamilton this August.

I realize this is short notice for a tournament, but it's what we did last summer, and the tournament ended up being enjoyable enough, so we decided to do it again.

(We would have announced it earlier, but there were uncertainties regarding logistics and interest)

So any teams that can make it up to Hamilton at the end of August, and have the free time to write a pack can give it a look.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
It's back!

Must Go Fastererer: The Jeff Goldblum Memorial Trash Tournament 2

- Who?: Quizbowl Teams
- What?: Summer Trash tourney
- When?: August 28th (tentatively).
- Where?: McMaster University
- Why?: Well you sure are askin' a lot of questions aren’t ya?

- The tournament will be packet-submission style, packets will be lightly edited by a team to be announced soon (if you are interested in editing, send us an email).
- Moderators are also welcome!
- The deadline for packets is August 20th 2010.
- Please direct all communications for now to: [email protected]

- Pending on the rooms we get booked, multimedia tossups or bonuses may be a
possibility.

Other Stuff:
- We are also thinking of adding an optional food drive or charity component as a way to give back. More details about this may come soon.

- We are open to suggestions!

Packet guidelines have changed and are as follows:

1. No questions about Quizbowl or Quizbowl players (meta quizbowl)
2. No theme packets.
3. Pyramidal tossups.
4. Try to keep it to 6 lines a tossup.
5. Powers in each tossup

The level of difficulty we're looking for is somewhere along the lines of 16/20
tossups getting converted.

4/4 Movies
- Focus on western cinema, and noted foreign films
- Includes questions on actors, actresses, directors etc.
- For subject matter concerning pre-1990 films, try to focus on more noted
movies (i.e. no tossups on 1940's box office flops)
- Breakdown could look like 2/2 Movies, 1/1 Movie People, 1/1 Plot element,
character, fictional object, but you're free to modify the subdistribution a
bit.

4/4 Sports
- Focus on the North American Big 4 (NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL, as well as golf and
tennis)
- Soccer, and other sports such as: autosports, Olympic sports and NCAA sports are fair game too, but no more than one a packet.
However since the NCAA is not as big in Canada, ask about post 2005 major men’s
sports.
- Breakdown could look like 2/2 teams, 1/1 player, 1/1 sports related object,
idea, etc.
- For the minor sports, if you choose so, keep it to 1/1 per pack.

4/4 Music
- Artists or song or album names.
- Focus on North American and British invasion music, or notable world music.
- Break could look like 2/2 artists, 1/1 album, 1/1 song.

4/4 Television
- Actors, Actresses, Series.
- Same as with movies, for subject matter concerning pre-1990 television, try to
focus on more notable television series (i.e. not a 5 episode series cancelled in the
70s)
- Breakdown could look like 2/2 television show, 1/1 TV people, 1/1 plot
element, character, fictional object. Again, you're free to modify the
subdistribution a bit.

2/2 Videogames
- Consoles, videogames, characters, in game objects, peripherals,

2/2 Other
- Foods, people, internet stuff, things, places, comics, awards, anything else you want that's trash-y
- Board games, card games, and elements of either
- Trash lit
- "Current events in trash" (i.e. gossip, fads, etc)

20/20 in a pack + 1 tiebreaker

Other notes:
- If multimedia bonus questions are feasible logistically, there would be no more than one a pack.
- No lames allowed during tournament.
Last edited by MacSR on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
University of Toronto 2015
Jamnman23
Lulu

Re: Announcement: Must Go Fastererer: The Jeff Goldblum Memorial

Post by Jamnman23 »

I am not planning on playing this tournament, but I have a suggestion for packet requirements. For the subdistribution, it would probably be good to specify a time distribution. With the way the requirements are currently written, you could receive a submitted packet that is 4/4 movies all pre-1980 and another packet that is 4/4 movies post-2000 and they could both equally follow the distribution. Not specifying a time distribution seems like a good way assure inconsistency and unpredictability between packets, which is something you obviously don't want. Specifying types of things to ask about (actor, actress, character etc.) is important, but as long as you communicate that there should be a variety of different answer types in a packet, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Time variability, however, can dramatically limit the enjoyability of a tournament. For the major areas of the trash distribution, I would suggest something like 2/2 post-1995 and 2/2 pre-1995 with some date flexibility depending on the packet or the particular subject.
Benjamin Frank
University of Pennsylvania 2012
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

RIT (or a group of people that at one point attended RIT) will likely send a team to this. We would personally prefer August 21st, but if it's the 28th, we should still be able to get a team.

Also, as I mentioned at VETO, I hope to have enough questions for game show side event, the Bill Cullen Memorial to run immediately after. I'm aiming for around ~100-150 3-4 line questions much like Mike Cheyne's very enjoyable TV tournament, but just about game shows. Full announcement will follow.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

I am already in the midst of writing a freelance packet (have 18/0 finished) for this and would like to moderate for this event.

Re: Dates. I would not be able to make this tournament if it were rescheduled for the 21st, as I will be in Vancouver for a wedding until the 23rd.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

We have a confirmed team for the 28th now, so that works for us.
Nathaniel Kane
Tom007
Lulu

Post by Tom007 »

Guelph will almost certainly be sending at least 1 team to this event. Any word on fees?
Tom Minard
M.Sc. Candidate
Department of Chemistry
University of Guelph
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Most of the Ottawa team already knew about this before I mentioned it to them, so I'll just let them co-ordinate on their own. As I mentioned elsewhere, I will not be attending but will provide as many spare tossups as I can handle (considering that my thesis deadlines are coming up soon).
MacSR wrote:"Current events in TRASH"
What's new at Testing Recall About Strange Happenings? :wink:
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Nate: how's the game show thing coming along? I won't be at this, but I was wondering if there was any outside chance it would be finished in time for other August tournaments. (No pressure, of course, if this is inconvenient)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Cheynem wrote:Nate: how's the game show thing coming along? I won't be at this, but I was wondering if there was any outside chance it would be finished in time for other August tournaments. (No pressure, of course, if this is inconvenient)
I have my answer choices and have started writing the questions. I have ~20 completed now out of ~200 answer selections. I might have "enough" for VCU Open, but Sun 'n Fun would be more realistic to have the complete (or nearly complete) set.

I'll start a new thread with more details about this so I don't derail this thread.
Nathaniel Kane
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Does anyone have any updates on the status of this tournament? Case Western might be interested in sending a team, but we would need to know whether or not this is still happening and, if so, the date of the tournament (fees and such would also be nice as well). The quicker this stuff gets answered the better, because if we do end up going we'll need to start working on writing a packet.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Any potential mirrors?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

swwFCqb wrote:Does anyone have any updates on the status of this tournament? Case Western might be interested in sending a team, but we would need to know whether or not this is still happening and, if so, the date of the tournament (fees and such would also be nice as well). The quicker this stuff gets answered the better, because if we do end up going we'll need to start working on writing a packet.
Hey Steven, as far as I know, this is still happening. There is a Facebook event for it here...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?ei ... 7756248671
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

swwFCqb wrote:Does anyone have any updates on the status of this tournament? Case Western might be interested in sending a team, but we would need to know whether or not this is still happening and, if so, the date of the tournament (fees and such would also be nice as well). The quicker this stuff gets answered the better, because if we do end up going we'll need to start working on writing a packet.

Hey its still on as of now. We're getting an idea on the amount of teams coming so that we can start the room booking process.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

Hi, if you're interested in coming and can give a solid committment, please let me know as soon as possible.

As far as I know now, we have:

Ottawa x 1
McMaster x 2
Guelph x 1
RIT x1

Any other teams?
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

If you can, try and get in touch with Andy Saunders. Last I heard, he was trying to get a team together for this.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Tom007
Lulu

Post by Tom007 »

adosreme wrote:If you can, try and get in touch with Andy Saunders. Last I heard, he was trying to get a team together for this.
As far as I'm aware, Andy will be writing for, and most likely playing on the Guelph team. I don't believe he's getting his own team together.
Tom Minard
M.Sc. Candidate
Department of Chemistry
University of Guelph
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Some of us from case are interested in going, but I unfortunately can't give you a firm commitment until I determine whether we have enough players to write a packet. I should know by the beginning of next week though if that's acceptable.
Steven Wellstead
NAQT writer
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

Yes, that's acceptable, but please let us know as soon as you can, and get a pack in as soon as you can.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

Hey All,

It appears we only have 4 teams confirmed, and 6 packets coming in. I'm thinking of delaying this tournament until we can work up a bigger field.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
Tom007
Lulu

Post by Tom007 »

Guelph's pack will be in tomorrow night at some point. And we will have less than 4 people on our team, but will still be there if it does in fact go down on the 28th.
Tom Minard
M.Sc. Candidate
Department of Chemistry
University of Guelph
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Our packet will be in there tomorrow too, likely two team members.
Nathaniel Kane
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

I don't know if this will make a difference, but we're working on a packet (which will be ready tomorrow night if I get my teammates' questions in time) and, barring any bizarre circumstances, will be able to send a team of 3 if this still goes down on the 28th.
Steven Wellstead
NAQT writer
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

So right now we have:

1x Guelph
1x RIT
1x Case Western
2x McMaster

plus we'll have a pack from Aaron Dos Remedios and possibly a pack from Rico from Toronto (and possibly a team).

I'm fine with running the tournament with 5 teams and 6-7 packets, but I'm living in Hamilton right now.

RIT and Case Western, your teams would be travelling a lot more for this tourney, would you still want to play?
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

MacSR wrote:So right now we have:

1x Guelph
1x RIT
1x Case Western
2x McMaster

plus we'll have a pack from Aaron Dos Remedios and possibly a pack from Rico from Toronto (and possibly a team).

I'm fine with running the tournament with 5 teams and 6-7 packets, but I'm living in Hamilton right now.

RIT and Case Western, your teams would be travelling a lot more for this tourney, would you still want to play?
We'd still be interested. We have to run up to Toronto to pick something up anyways.
Nathaniel Kane
Tom007
Lulu

Post by Tom007 »

If there is any chance of getting an extension until Sunday, I can guarantee a pack of much higher calibre than what is currently available. Certain teammates just told me that they won't be able to get questions done until then. If not, I can finish up the pack myself and send it your way tonight. Either way works for me.
Tom Minard
M.Sc. Candidate
Department of Chemistry
University of Guelph
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Tom007 wrote:If there is any chance of getting an extension until Sunday, I can guarantee a pack of much higher calibre than what is currently available. Certain teammates just told me that they won't be able to get questions done until then. If not, I can finish up the pack myself and send it your way tonight. Either way works for me.
I don't know about the other editors, but I was under the impression that the editing would more or less be limited to removing duplicates and writing replacements/tiebreakers as necessary. Also, I am on vacation and won't be home until Monday night. Therefore, I personally wouldn't mind if either you or Case Western took a few more days to submit.
Aaron Dos Remedios
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

Sunday would be fine.

Aaron is correct with regards to the editing. And a couple of our Mac students will also help with it.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

We're doing our best, but with only having two people, there is a small chance we may have to finish the packet for Saturday. I hope to be able to finish tonight though.

Sorry for the late notice, but I thought we were going to be able to find two more teammates earlier this week.
Nathaniel Kane
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

Don't worry about it.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

I'm pretty sure that Nevin Hotson (formerly of Lisgar, now of RMC) is at least interested. A pack from him is partially done. Not sure if he's coming, but he's marshaled people to write a pack.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Unfortunately our team must bow out because I will not be getting the questions I need from my teammates to complete our packet in time for the tournament. I'm sorry for the late notice and hope that your tournament can still run successfully.
Steven Wellstead
NAQT writer
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

Right now the tournament is going to be like this:

2x McMaster
1x Guelph
1x RIT
1x Toronto

With a finals pack written by Aaron from Waterloo.

It's gonna be a casual affair, and we can do other quizbowl related things, as we have the rooms till 6.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Is this going to be in the Student Union (the building VETO was in), or another building on campus? I'm also assuming to be there for 9:00

Also, what is the status about the canned food drive portion?
Nathaniel Kane
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

The tournament will be in The Michael G. DeGroote Center for Learning and Discovery.
(the same place it was last year)

MDCL is south of the student center, and is the modern building attached to the hospital by 2 bridges.

...http://parking.mcmaster.ca/June25Update ... mation.PDF

The Student Center is #51 on this map, and MDCL is #52.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

MicroEStudent wrote:Also, what is the status about the canned food drive portion?
I don't know what Sameer wants, but I would personally vote for no fees, since with only a week, we haven't exactly been doing superhuman feats of editing.
Aaron Dos Remedios
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

Yup, as its only 3 days away, there will be no fee or anything like that.

However, if you would like to bring non-perishable food items, that would be welcomed. A member of the Mac Quizbowl team will bring it to a local food bank.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

This happened.

McMaster played "Toronto" in a one game final after both finishing 3-1, but I don't remember who won. A team featuring Andy and Rico finished 2-2 and RIT and Guelph finished 1-3. I want to thank McMaster for being great hosts and for running a smooth six round tournament.

Regarding questions, over the 5 non-RIT packets, there was only 1 problematic question, so that was good. Please let me know if you felt that one of our questions was problematic. I felt that the difficulty had swings between packets, but was fairly consistent through each packet.

I assume that questions are cleared, but to be safe I won't talk about specifics, except to say that one packet (Guelph) seemed to not follow a sub-distribution rule and that put our team at a disadvantage. We likely would have lost the game anyways, but it can be frustrating to lose questions in your strongest subject due to something like this.

All in all though, this was a fun summer tournament.
Nathaniel Kane
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

I don't think we can talk about the questions, as we're sending the packets to another site.

I think the gameshow tournament was also fun for the people who played, with lots of the tossups getting converted.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

MicroEStudent wrote: Regarding questions, over the 5 non-RIT packets, there was only 1 problematic question, so that was good. Please let me know if you felt that one of our questions was problematic. I felt that the difficulty had swings between packets, but was fairly consistent through each packet.
I am waiting for a response from Sameer about clearing this tournament for discussion (which I have reason to believe that it is), but I think I had a few comments about your packet that I haven't put down on paper yet.
Aaron Dos Remedios
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

Aaron is right.

We're working on putting the stats up right now. Sorry for the delay.
Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
MacSR
Lulu

Post by MacSR »

Sameer Rawal
McMaster 2011
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Thanks Sameer. Have you sent the packets to Mike Bentley for Wastebinning yet? If not, then I can do it. And now that the questions have been cleared...

[quote="adosreme]I had a few comments about your packet that I haven't put down on paper yet.[/quote]

There were just a few things about the RIT packet that I noticed. First, I wasn't too crazy about the tossup on The Very Best. I have found that the problem with Indie bands is that, in general, not enough people have heard of them that with the exception of the most popular ones (Bloc Party, etc.), they tend to be too obscure to get converted with high regularity.

I also thought that the Battletoads tossup was missing a giveaway clue. I know that it is famed for being a particularly difficult Nintendo game, but I think you could have increased conversion by adding in something at the end so that people who maybe have played the game but are more casual gamers unaware of the distinction that "this game is really hard" can get it. Something like "Home to the dreaded Turbo Tunnel, name FTP this game where players attempt to rescue Princess Angelica as one of Rash or Zitz, the titular amphibians." But that's just the way I would approach writing such a question.

For bonuses, there were two in particular that stood out as improvable. First, the bonus on Big Brother, I thought, was a "30 or nothing" bonus. Either you watch the show, in which case I can't see you missing any of these questions, or you don't and I can't see you getting any of them (except maybe Julie Chen for 10). It seemed to be missing a clear easy/medium/hard part.

Second, I thought the answer selection on the Pixar bonus could have been improved. I didn't like that you could have answered "Toy Story," "Toy Story 3" and "Toy Story 2" to get 30 here. There is a decent amount of material about Pixar that could be used to generate a bonus here instead of focusing on the Toy Story franchise. For example, Toy Story could be an easy part, A Bug's Life (your alternate third part answer) or WALL-E or something about them could be a medium part, and one of the various animated shorts that Pixar produced (e.g. For The Birds) could have been a hard part. If your intention was to write about the Toy Story franchise, then you could have just made the bonus about that instead of Pixar (e.g. my packet had a bonus on various things about The Little Mermaid)

Those are the main things I noticed while editing your packet. I still really appreciated the effort that you put into writing though and tell Kevin that I hope he had a good time at TIFF.
Aaron Dos Remedios