(DATE CHANGE) Sun 'n' Fun 2010: Valencia Site, August 21st

Old college threads.
SnookerUSF
Rikku

(DATE CHANGE) Sun 'n' Fun 2010: Valencia Site, August 21st

Post by SnookerUSF »

The Valencia host site will be moving the date of the tournament to the 21st of this month, as some crucial entrants (including the host entrant Chris Borglum) cannot attend on the original weekend. I am currently discussing the possibility of changing the date for the whole tournament to that weekend, pending responses from the other two mirrors. That said, I hope you are all working hard on your half-packets.
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Re: (DATE CHANGE) Sun 'n' Fun 2010: Valencia Site, August 21st

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Me and some other current/former South Carolina people would like to register for this. Are there any field updates?
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Valencia's field is tenuous but looks like this right now:

Valencia (2)
Borglum solo
Billy Beyer solo
South Carolina alums (Eric et al)
Dallin Kelson and Ethan Hewitt
Local dudes (Luke Rego, Travis Vitello, Sean Platzer)
South Florida CC
FSU (Matt, Flowers, Chris Regner)
Last edited by ValenciaQBowl on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

Post by Kwang the Ninja »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:(Dallin, are you coming?)
I am still not sure if this whole thing will work out, mark us at about an 80%. I'll talk to Mr. Young and Ethan sometime in the next week (hopefully) and figure this situation out.
EDIT: After some discussion, we are almost definite, but won't be coming until the morning of the tournament. Also, our team composition is now Me/Ethan with, most likely, my brother, and POSSIBLE SPECIAL GUEST STAR. Details to follow.
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

Kwang the Ninja wrote:
ValenciaQBowl wrote:(Dallin, are you coming?)
POSSIBLE SPECIAL GUEST STAR. Details to follow.
Could this be the only other player from Florida currently uncommitted to this tournament who regularly posts on these here message boards!?
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

It seems like we're a lock for six teams, with a good possibility for seven, so in order to allow Eric and the SC folks to plan their much longer trips, I'm comfortable saying this WILL happen.

Dallin and Ethan, I may (may!) be able to find you one of my players to flop with Friday night if that's better for you, but I can't guarantee it. My house is out as we have other guests next weekend. Otherwise, certainly you can come up Saturday, and I'll try to start around 10 to give you more time.

Also, if anyone is sticking around, I'd be interested in playing Mike Cheyne's politics packet afterward on Saturday evening in some casual way. Can anyone stick around for that?
Chris Borglum
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

ValenciaQBowl wrote:It seems like we're a lock for six teams, with a good possibility for seven, so in order to allow Eric and the SC folks to plan their much longer trips, I'm comfortable saying this WILL happen.

Dallin and Ethan, I may (may!) be able to find you one of my players to flop with Friday night if that's better for you, but I can't guarantee it. My house is out as we have other guests next weekend. Otherwise, certainly you can come up Saturday, and I'll try to start around 10 to give you more time.

Also, if anyone is sticking around, I'd be interested in playing Mike Cheyne's politics packet afterward on Saturday evening in some casual way. Can anyone stick around for that?
I am moving to Gainesville on the 18th, so I will have a short drive, and as it stands now Dallin is planning on driving down Friday night and crashing at my apartment, depending on how many teammates Dallin scrounges up.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Ah, much better for you then.

If we have six teams, we'll play a double RR, meaning ten games for all. If we start at 10, I think we could be done by 5:30 or 6. Those interested could play the remaining rounds and Cheyne's poltiical packets afterward out somewhere for dinner. See if you can stick around.
Chris Borglum
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Ah, much better for you then.

If we have six teams, we'll play a double RR, meaning ten games for all. If we start at 10, I think we could be done by 5:30 or 6. Those interested could play the remaining rounds and Cheyne's poltiical packets afterward out somewhere for dinner. See if you can stick around.
I don't really follow politics, but I am sure that after sitting around for 8 hours and not knowing anything I can handle a couple of more hours of it.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Well, you've handled it for lo these 20-ish years!

Zing! Can I get a high hat!!!!
Chris Borglum
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Well, you've handled it for lo these 20-ish years!

Zing! Can I get a high hat!!!!
Bulletin board!
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
Auron

I was just wondering if there are any discounts for bringing buzzers and/or staffers.
Eric D.
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Ethnic history of the Vilnius region wrote:I was just wondering if there are any discounts for bringing buzzers and/or staffers.
Since you are already playing for the low, low price of $50, I will have to say no to discounts. But you would have my undying gratitude if you could bring a buzzer.

However, since our usual statskeeper Lena Phelps cannot join us this time, and since Florida seems to have a paucity of SQBS trained individuals (really, I think that number is like three or four), if you could bring someone who is willing and able to be a stats monkey...your team can play for $20. Said official will have his lunch and dinner provided by the inestimable Chris Borglum.

Also, this offer extends to anyone reading this and is willing to make the journey to Valencia CC in lovely Orlando.

-Auroni Gupta

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I've updated the field above to reflect the addition of FSU and South Florida CC. Barring further additions (let's hope not, as we need a bye due to submitted packets), we'll have a 9-team RR (8 matches, bye), followed by three rounds of playoffs, leaving an extra packet just in case (or for reading at Wing House afterward--everyone's invited!). Teams eliminated in the quarters will have the option of playing the semi and final packets to maximize play.
Chris Borglum
Auron

Yeah, that's fine, Ahmad. We'll bring our buzzer, though I don't think we'll be bringing anyone extra for statkeeping.
Eric D.
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

The position of statkeeper has been filled. Thank you for interest.

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
Auron

One of my teammates dropped out, which means my team has an open spot. We have a good hotel deal and a nice packet discount, so it would be very cheap for anyone. If you live in Florida and don't need to spend Friday night at a hotel, it would be even cheaper. If interested, contact me at ericd25 at hotmail dot com.
Eric D.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I hope someone from the board takes you up on this, Eric, but if not, there are likely to be a few free agents just showing up. Two I know of for sure are Tom and Kat (no, I'm not making that up) from last year's Seminole CC team, and depending on how many of my folks show up, there may be a couple more.
Chris Borglum
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Wing House
I'm there.
Kay, Chicago.
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:I've updated the field above to reflect the addition of FSU and South Florida CC. Barring further additions (let's hope not, as we need a bye due to submitted packets), we'll have a 9-team RR (8 matches, bye), followed by three rounds of playoffs, leaving an extra packet just in case (or for reading at Wing House afterward--everyone's invited!). Teams eliminated in the quarters will have the option of playing the semi and final packets to maximize play.
So is this single-elim playoffs? A better idea might be to have two playoff pools of four, and then a one-game final if and only if the top two teams are tied (since the top two teams will have already played twice). That way all eight teams get the three rounds of playoffs, and you're not forcing the top team to play the eighth team in a game that could eliminate them on a wonky packet.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

This seems like as good a time as any to reveal that our ULTRA-SECRET GUEST STAR is none other than the inestimable Kay Li (of Pensacola High School and Team Florida). The team now looks like myself, Kay, and my brother/secret weapon Paul. (Ethan is going to be functioning as statkeeper.)
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

So is this single-elim playoffs? A better idea might be to have two playoff pools of four, and then a one-game final if and only if the top two teams are tied (since the top two teams will have already played twice). That way all eight teams get the three rounds of playoffs, and you're not forcing the top team to play the eighth team in a game that could eliminate them on a wonky packet.[/quote]

That could work, as long as it's amenable to everyone. Of course, there could never be "wonky" packets at Sun n Fun!
Chris Borglum
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

SnookerUSF wrote: Said official will have his lunch and dinner provided by the inestimable Chris Borglum.
Does this offer still stand since the stat monkey is the size of an NFL lineman?
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I have a bucket of grubs and bananas at the ready, so absolutely yes.
Chris Borglum
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

Due to circumstances beyond either of our collective controls, Kay Li has dropped from my team for tomorrow. As such, my brother and I would appreciate anyone (especially SCIEN!tists) who would like to play with us. No fees, we don't have a hotel, this/these person(s) would simply have to get themselves to the tournament and pay for their own meal(s). Otherwise, Borglum can go ahead and change our name to "Team Kelson".
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

I just want to remind those who are about to play the set tomorrow, do not discuss any of the questions in any public forum, as there are mirrors the 28th and September 4th.

Thank you,

P.S. Enjoy!

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Borglum can go ahead and change our name to "Team Kelson".
Too late! I've already printed the schedules with your name as "Panhandlers," which still fits. I'm mildly disappointed to not be able to put a face to Mr. Li, nor to hear him discourse on the state of the Detroit Lions.
Chris Borglum
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

After 12 exciting rounds of quizbowl, the South Carolina Gamecocks consisting of Eric Douglass, Phong Nguyen, and Brinn Reinecke won Sun 'n' Fun 2010 with a 10-1 record, with their sole loss coming to Team Panhandlers. I will send the stats to Mr. Young for him to post ASAP.

Top 4 Teams
1. USC Gamecocks
2. Team Billy!
3. Borglumatosis
4. Panhandlers

Top 5 Individuals
1. Billy Beyer
2. Dallin Kelson
3. Eric Douglass
4. Chris Borglum
5. Phong Nguyen

Edit: Also, thanks to Chris Borglum for the great time (and food!) at Wing House following the tournament.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Congratulations to Eric, Brinn, and Phong for winning. I think it's worth pointing out that the Panhandlers comprised the Kelson brothers, Dallin and Paul, the latter of whom powered the heck out of a 20th toss-up to beat my team in our first game. Meantime, Dallin, just getting ready to start his sophomore year, gave the Gamecocks their only loss. The ridiculous improvement that Dallin has made in the last 14 months since the last Sun n Fun is amazing to see.

My thanks to Ethan, who gave up his chance to play to take care of our stats, and to all our staff, and to Ahmad and those who wrote questions.
Chris Borglum
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl
gatsby
Kimahri

Post by gatsby »

It was a fun tournament. I had a great time. I just have to note one thing: Neil Luu did not actually attend this tournament, so I don't know where those two negs came from but the Gamecock team played with only three players the entire tournament.

Regarding the set without any specifics, I felt that the distribution was strange at times. Repeats happened often, including two tossups on the same answer line. Overall, the set was enjoyable.
Phong Nguyen
Southside High School '09
University of South Carolina '13
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

The set was.... well, Sun 'N Fun. If you come expecting anything other than what Sun 'N Fun has been in the past, you will be disappointed, but if you come expecting something pretty similar to last year, I think you will be pleasantly surprised (in that it is definitely easier and faster to play than last year). That said, I came expecting the latter and had a fantastic time. Thanks to Ahmad for the set and to Borglum for hosting.

PS: Ahmad, can you email me the set (or at least the last packet)?
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

it is definitely easier and faster to play than last year
Hmm. I wouldn't agree with this, or at least not the idea that it's easier (the TU length limit did seem to make some questions read quickly, which was a big positive). This tournament has some tough stuff in it, as one would expect, and I fear that my own packet may be tougher than I wanted it to be. But Dallin is correct in noting that anyone playing SnF should be expecting that, and I agree that it was a fun set to play.
Chris Borglum
Auron

Thanks for hosting, Chris. It was enjoyable and things ran smoothly. As for the questions, well, it was definitely Sun n Fun being Sun n Fun. I've always enjoyed it, but it's certainly not for everyone. Yeah, Dallin's improvement is most impressive. Keep it up, dude.
Eric D.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Having gone over the stats compared to my handwritten scoresheets, it looks like our scorers neglected to mark a number of powers. For my team, there are five powers not noted; my guess is that even when the reader noted the power, the scorekeepers didn't know to mark a 15. My apologies--I should've more loudly emphasized that to them, though these were mostly folks who should already have known.
Chris Borglum
Javatron
Lulu

Post by Javatron »

I'd be interested in seeing the set, or at least the half packet my team wrote. Did it make it in there? I'd like to see if/what edits were made so I can improve for next time.
Sabrina Fritz

Villa Duchesne (MO) -- Class of 2011
Northwestern University (IL) -- Class of 2015
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I'm sure they'll be shared in a timely fashion as soon as the mirrors are completed.
Chris Borglum
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Post by SnookerUSF »

Sabrina,
Because of mirrors, I would like to keep the packets off-line until September 5th.

Et. al.,
Thanks to Eric Douglass and Chris Borglum for sharing their notes, I will be incorporating them into the next version for the Maryland mirror. Forgive me for some spotty communication, I am literally in the middle of moving to NYC and starting school. If anyone who attended the Valencia site can tell me of any repeats or issues, let me know, PRIVATELY, over e-mail. I can be reached at aragab at mail dot usf dot edu.

Ahmad

-Auroni Gupta

-Ottomar Hoerl