Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at Harvard (9/11/10)

Old college threads.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at Harvard (9/11/10)

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Harvard College Bowl will be hosting a mirror of the ACF sponsored Early Autumn Collegiate Novice Tournament on Saturday, September 11, 2010 in Sever Hall. Check-in will begin at 9:15 AM, morning announcements will be at 9:45, and play will begin at 10:00. The entire tournament (including awards and playoffs) should be over before 5:00. Each team will be guaranteed at least seven rounds, and there will be finals as necessary to determine the champions.

Please email Andy Watkins at [email protected] to register or if you have any questions. Teams must register by e-mailing me prior to the date of the tournament in order to play. Further information is below:

REGISTRATION AND FEES:

Base fee: $15/player [$60 for a 4 person team]
$5 off the base fee for schools per working buzzer system provided
$10 off the base fee for schools per competent moderator
$10 off the base fee for schools for each 100 miles traveled
Minimum fee: $5/player [$20 for a 4 person team]

Please e- mail me with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with details. I will e-mail my team contacts with necessary information as we approach the tournament. Feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending.

I should stress that our tournament's success depends in part on veteran players accompanying their teams to volunteer to staff this tournament and for teams from established programs to bring working buzzer systems. We’ll give you lunch money and it will be worth your team’s while money-wise.

ELIGIBILITY RULES:

1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below. ACF eligibility rules can be found at http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/acfrules_final.pdf beginning on page 3.
2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits).
ii. If you were ever on a playoff team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.
iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.
5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.

LOCATION: We will meet Saturday morning at Sever Hall, which is on the eastern side of Harvard Yard (as you can see on the newly remodeled campus map). Check-in will begin at 8:30 and end at 9:00. Following morning announcements, play will begin at 9:15

QUESTIONS: As the name of the tournament suggests, this tournament is geared specifically to collegiate novices. Thus, the questions will be very accessible and short.

FORMAT: The format will vary depending on the number of teams that register, but we will strive to offer all teams at least 7 games, and we will keep individual statistics. Trophies will be awarded to the top 2 teams, and book prizes will be awarded to at least the top 8 individual scorers.

RULES: We’ll follow ACF rules, which are located at http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/acfrules_final.pdf

We encourage players to familiarize themselves with these rules prior to the event, and we will have a brief overview of the rules on the morning of the tournament.

METHOD OF PAYMENT: We will accept payment on the day of the tournament by cash or check, and we will provide receipts on site. Please contact me as soon as possible if other methods of payment are necessary so that we can make appropriate arrangements. Checks should be made payable to "Harvard College Bowl."

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, though only four may play at one time. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day—no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded with as few as one players.

FIELD:
RPI (2; 1 mod)
Harvard (>3; 3 mods; 1 buzzer)
Williams (1; 1 buzzer)
Brown (2-3, 3 staff)
Yale (x)
Andrew Watkins
Charbroil
Auron

Re: Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at Harvard (9/11/10)

Post by Charbroil »

Crazy Andy Watkins wrote: Check-in will begin at 8:30 AM, morning announcements will be at 9:00, and play will begin at 9:15. The entire tournament (including awards and playoffs) should be over before 5:00.
Doesn't the hosting guide say that the tournament should start no later than 10:00 AM?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
New York Undercover
Wakka

Post by New York Undercover »

What's the point of confusion?
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Charbroil wrote:
Crazy Andy Watkins wrote: Check-in will begin at 8:30 AM, morning announcements will be at 9:00, and play will begin at 9:15. The entire tournament (including awards and playoffs) should be over before 5:00.
Doesn't the hosting guide say that the tournament should start no later than 10:00 AM?
A time before 10:00 AM seems to fulfill the phrase "no later than 10:00 AM" pretty solidly!
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Ukonvasara wrote:
Charbroil wrote:
A time before 10:00 AM seems to fulfill the phrase "no later than 10:00 AM" pretty solidly!
Sorry, I meant "no earlier than 10:00 AM."
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Yes, I would prefer that this tournament begin a bit later, if possible. If not, someone from Harvard should get in contact with me.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

theMoMA wrote:Yes, I would prefer that this tournament begin a bit later, if possible. If not, someone from Harvard should get in contact with me.
That's certainly possible.
Andrew Watkins
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

theMoMA wrote:Yes, I would prefer that this tournament begin a bit later, if possible. If not, someone from Harvard should get in contact with me.
Just out of curiosity, why is this? Is it mostly to make it more appealing/accessible to people?
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

It's to allow easier day-of travel for teams.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

Brown will bring some number of teams to this. I and perhaps a few others will staff.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I already told Andy this, but we're bringing 2 teams and one moderator
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

Brown is bringing 2 (maybe 3) teams and 3 staffers.

And maybe I'll bring my cello along for some fun.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Just a friendly reminder that if you plan on purchasing a parking permit, the department code for "visitor to campus" is 7700.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

After shenanigans involving players dropping, adding, and doing things in the middle, we're in the middle of round five of a round robin of eight teams. Lunch follows round five.

Round five stats.

EDIT: the above link is now final stats. Congratulations to Harvard A, winning a final over Harvard 1.
Andrew Watkins
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Even given the decreased difficulty, which would normally be canceled out be field restrictions, 95.8% Tossup conversion overall for a tournament is really damn impressive.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007