Northwestern University "Wake Up Call" (10/16/2010)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Northwestern University "Wake Up Call" (10/16/2010)

Post by indiaisasubcontinent7 »

Northwestern University is proud to announce the first inception of "Wake Up Call," a high school novice tournament to be held on 10/16/2010. The question set that will be used will be Fall Novice. The purpose of this tournament is to introduce new highschoolers to quizbowl. As such, there will be restrictions on who is eligible for this tournament. In order to be eligible for this tournament, the player in question must not have played at NCT or NSC.

While this tournament is definitely happening, more information about the location of the tournament on campus, entry fees, need for moderators and the like will be added as soon as that information is available.

Please email me with questions at [email protected].

Edit: Eligibility rules.
Last edited by indiaisasubcontinent7 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anant Shah
President, Northwestern Quizbowl
WCAS '12
David Riley
Auron

Re: Northwestern University "Wake Up Call" (10/16/2010)

Post by David Riley »

We will bring at least one team, and at least one moderator if needed.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

IMSA would like to bring two teams (possibly another if this is run 4 v. 4) and can provide a moderator if needed.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Dominator wrote:IMSA would like to bring two teams (possibly another if this is run 4 v. 4) and can provide a moderator if needed.
I forgot to mention that the tournament will be run using ACF rules, so game play will consist of 4 vs. 4.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Science and Arts Academy would like to bring a team. (They don't have an official team or coach, which explains me posting this on their behalf.)
Dr. Noah Prince

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)

indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Dominator wrote:Science and Arts Academy would like to bring a team. (They don't have an official team or coach, which explains me posting this on their behalf.)
That is perfectly fine with me.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Dominator wrote:Science and Arts Academy would like to bring a team. (They don't have an official team or coach, which explains me posting this on their behalf.)
Freakin' excellent! I'm an SAA alum...
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Just in case people are perusing this thread before Anant can edit it, I wanted to make it known that the invitation email (which Anant and I worked on yesterday and which I sent out today) uses a metric similar to the Collegiate Novice tournament, making the eligibility rule: anyone who has not attended HSNCT or NSC OR scored less that 20 ppg/20 pp20tuh at both NSC/HSNCT is eligible. If coaches feel they have a player who deserves an exception (i.e. someone who scored 20.1 ppg), they are welcome to email us and we'll be happy to make the exception in most cases.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

So, the difficulty of the questions is somewhere along the lines of last year's novice tournament? And, according to your eligibility criteria, every Barrington player is eligible?
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Moving Day wrote:So, the difficulty of the questions is somewhere along the lines of last year's novice tournament? And, according to your eligibility criteria, every Barrington player is eligible?
Yeah, I chose 20 very deliberately because there didn't seem to be any "superstar" players that had not attended nats or scored less than 20 at nats. Moreover, my eligibility rules last year restricted teams from not playing their A team (which could be very similar to other systems such as "players who haven't played a nat" or "unexperienced players"), and the highest bonus conversion we saw was 17.62. I see no reason why we shouldn't have a field where the top teams are hitting 24 ppb. If we see 26 ppb or greater, I'm willing to admit it was a mistake.

As long as I have your attention, Mr. Price, do you know if the IESA has any rules that would stop middle school teams from playing this?
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Dan-Don wrote:
Moving Day wrote:So, the difficulty of the questions is somewhere along the lines of last year's novice tournament? And, according to your eligibility criteria, every Barrington player is eligible?
Yeah, I chose 20 very deliberately because there didn't seem to be any "superstar" players that had not attended nats or scored less than 20 at nats. Moreover, my eligibility rules last year restricted teams from not playing their A team (which could be very similar to other systems such as "players who haven't played a nat" or "unexperienced players"), and the highest bonus conversion we saw was 17.62. I see no reason why we shouldn't have a field where the top teams are hitting 24 ppb. If we see 26 ppb or greater, I'm willing to admit it was a mistake.

As long as I have your attention, Mr. Price, do you know if the IESA has any rules that would stop middle school teams from playing this?
Middle school teams, as far as I remember, can't even be seen with high schoolers or else the IHSA gets involved.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

styxman wrote:
Dan-Don wrote:

Middle school teams, as far as I remember, can't even be seen with high schoolers or else the IHSA gets involved.
Yeah that seems to be the case with IHSA. Then again, we might be able to use the "4 on 4" rule to weasel out of that. I was just curious as to what the IESA said about competing with high schoolers (and before the official start of their season). It might be that I send the invitation to middle school coaches separately and talk to Anant and NU about running separate divisions, since I think it'd be really great if middle schoolers got the opportunity to play this.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Dan-Don wrote:
styxman wrote:
Dan-Don wrote:

Yeah that seems to be the case with IHSA. Then again, we might be able to use the "4 on 4" rule to weasel out of that. I was just curious as to what the IESA said about competing with high schoolers (and before the official start of their season). It might be that I send the invitation to middle school coaches separately and talk to Anant and NU about running separate divisions, since I think it'd be really great if middle schoolers got the opportunity to play this.
That works on the IHSA end, but not the IESA end; furthermore, as I told you, the IESA season limitations preclude any IESA Scholastic Bowl member school from doing this. Maybe non-IESA schools could; I'm not sure about that.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

jonah wrote:
Dan-Don wrote:
styxman wrote:
Dan-Don wrote:

That works on the IHSA end, but not the IESA end; furthermore, as I told you, the IESA season limitations preclude any IESA Scholastic Bowl member school from doing this. Maybe non-IESA schools could; I'm not sure about that.
You also told me to double-check with Jeff Price, which is what I'm doing...
the return of AHAN
Auron

jonah wrote: That works on the IHSA end, but not the IESA end; furthermore, as I told you, the IESA season limitations preclude any IESA Scholastic Bowl member school from doing this. Maybe non-IESA schools could; I'm not sure about that.
This.
I could try the whole "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" angle if/when we got busted, but that wouldn't wash with either the IESA or my administration. Jonah is right, though, in that non-IESA schools could do this, which would be REALLY interesting if you could lure some Stevenson feeders such as Woodlawn and West Oak, while the Daniel Wrights and Aptakisics of the area couldn't attend lest they face IESA sanction. :oops:

If you'd like, I could make one phone call and run this by the IESA's scholastic bowl head and get an answer. At the very least, it'd point out the disadvantage IESA is unintentionally creating for their members.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Moving Day wrote:If you'd like, I could make one phone call and run this by the IESA's scholastic bowl head and get an answer. At the very least, it'd point out the disadvantage IESA is unintentionally creating for their members.
I think would be a good idea, particularly if you got a positive response. But at the risk of not alienating the IHSA members who would otherwise attend, middle school would probably be run separately (if the IESA let's you compete) or not at all.
the return of AHAN
Auron

So, is the idea of a Junior Wildcat II in February dead? Or would this opportunity in addition to the Junior Wildcat?
Jeff Price
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Moving Day wrote:So, is the idea of a Junior Wildcat II in February dead? Or would this opportunity in addition to the Junior Wildcat?
There will be a Junior Wildcat (written mostly by me). Date is TBD, but probably 2/13.
the return of AHAN
Auron

A Sunday? Interesting...

If you meant 2/12, and intend to run it concurrent with your NAQT tournament, try to solidify that date ASAP so I can warn the coach of Normal Metcalf who hosts a tournament on the 2nd Saturday of February. At this point, I'd expect the intersection of the Junior Wildcat field and the Metcalf Sweetheart field to consist solely of Barrington Station, but that coach WAS interested in attending the first Wildcat, as was the Bloomington JHS coach.

I know that 2/19 is the date of Masonic sectionals, meaning certain high school players would be available to mod for you...
Jeff Price
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Moving Day wrote:A Sunday? Interesting...

If you meant 2/12, and intend to run it concurrent with your NAQT tournament, try to solidify that date ASAP so I can warn the coach of Normal Metcalf who hosts a tournament on the 2nd Saturday of February. At this point, I'd expect the intersection of the Junior Wildcat field and the Metcalf Sweetheart field to consist solely of Barrington Station, but that coach WAS interested in attending the first Wildcat, as was the Bloomington JHS coach.

I know that 2/19 is the date of Masonic sectionals, meaning certain high school players would be available to mod for you...
Oh, sorry, you're right. I confused 2/13 with 2/12 and I confused with 2/13 with 2/19. 2/19 is the day I'm looking at.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Dan-Don wrote:
Moving Day wrote:If you'd like, I could make one phone call and run this by the IESA's scholastic bowl head and get an answer. At the very least, it'd point out the disadvantage IESA is unintentionally creating for their members.
I think would be a good idea, particularly if you got a positive response. But at the risk of not alienating the IHSA members who would otherwise attend, middle school would probably be run separately (if the IESA let's you compete) or not at all.
Phone call made.
Per Julie Cochran of the IESA, a 4 vs 4 quizbowl tournament would NOT be considered a scholastic bowl event and would NOT incur a season limitation violation (see IHSA, definition of a scholastic bowl match)
:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
Put Barrington Station down for 2 teams in the MS division
Jeff Price
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

This is a day of independence, for all the munchkins and their descendants! :grin:
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
the return of AHAN
Auron

So, the middle school division... has there been interest in this? I know of at least one coach, who I won't name publicly, who has told me she refuses to put in the time this early in the season. :sad:
Jeff Price
jkulesza
Lulu

Post by jkulesza »

I entered a middle-school aged home-school team (King's Academy) in a tourney at IVCC last spring, and the players had a great time and want to do it again. Some of the same players are able to compete on October 16, so we'll plan to register along with Barrington. If there ends up being no middle school division, I think they'd still enjoy the experience by competing at the high school level.
Joe Kulesza
Glenbard North Quiz Bowl Coach
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

jkulesza wrote:I entered a middle-school aged home-school team (King's Academy) in a tourney at IVCC last spring, and the players had a great time and want to do it again. Some of the same players are able to compete on October 16, so we'll plan to register along with Barrington. If there ends up being no middle school division, I think they'd still enjoy the experience by competing at the high school level.
Yeah we'd love to have you. I'll put you down in the prospective middle school division. To answer Jeff's question, however, there has been little interest in the middle school division. The only official registrations I've had are Barrington and Rhodes in RIver Grove, along with a semi-committal response from Liberty Jr. High. Unless there is more interest in the next two weeks or so, there likely won't be a middle school division.

As for the high school division, the field stands thusly:

Belvidere North x2
Fenton x1
IMSA x2-3
Latin x1-2
Loyola x1+
Maine South x1+
New Trier x1+
SAA x1
Stevenson x1+
the return of AHAN
Auron

Dan-Don wrote:
jkulesza wrote:I entered a middle-school aged home-school team (King's Academy) in a tourney at IVCC last spring, and the players had a great time and want to do it again. Some of the same players are able to compete on October 16, so we'll plan to register along with Barrington. If there ends up being no middle school division, I think they'd still enjoy the experience by competing at the high school level.
Yeah we'd love to have you. I'll put you down in the prospective middle school division. To answer Jeff's question, however, there has been little interest in the middle school division. The only official registrations I've had are Barrington and Rhodes in RIver Grove, along with a semi-committal response from Liberty Jr. High. Unless there is more interest in the next two weeks or so, there likely won't be a middle school division.

As for the high school division, the field stands thusly:

Belvidere North x2
Fenton x1
IMSA x2-3
Latin x1-2
Loyola x1+
Maine South x1+
New Trier x1+
SAA x1
Stevenson x1+
Add two Barrington HS teams, with the long-shot chance of 3...
Jeff Price
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Ditto for Loyola, 2 teams definitely plus a long shot for a third.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

IMSA would officially like to bring three teams.

BTW, can you please post an official fee structure soon? My school takes awhile to get checks out, and I have to turn in all my registration documents to the school together, and then the have to find a vendor number, and then they file a form to request a van, and then the form is sent and the van is officially requested, and then they request a check, and then ...

Tl;dr: Bureaucracy is stupid. Post fees.
Dr. Noah Prince

indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Here is the fee structure:

$55 per team
-$10 per buzzer (one per team)
-$5 per moderator (if necessary)
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Registration for this tournament will be closed on Sunday, Sept. 26. I need to know exactly how many teams each school is bringing in order to schedule rooms appropriately.

If there are any players who wish to play solo, please email me at [email protected] and we can figure that out.

Currently, it doesn't seem like a middle school division will exist at all; as such, if there are any middle school teams that want to play against novice high school teams, then I have no problems with that at all. Please inform me and/or Dan Donohue ([email protected]) that you wish to do so.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
the return of AHAN
Auron

Anant,
By one buzzer per team, does that mean a school fielding two teams can bring two buzzers and pay $90? Or is it a limit of one buzzer discount per school (or $100). Who should the checks be made payable to?
Jeff Price
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Moving Day wrote:Anant,
By one buzzer per team, does that mean a school fielding two teams can bring two buzzers and pay $90? Or is it a limit of one buzzer discount per school (or $100). Who should the checks be made payable to?
A school fielding 2 teams can get discounts for 2 buzzer systems. The discount is based on the team/buzzer ratio, not the school/buzzer ratio. Checks can be made out to "Northwestern Quizbowl." If the check isn't available on Oct. 16 or if you want to mail the check in early, you can mail them to:

Northwestern Quizbowl
829 Foster St, Apt 409
Evanston, Il, 60201
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Just checking.....is this a Northwestern-owned building? If not, some postemen won't deliver it to "Northwestern Quizbowl". If this your apartment, then your name needs to be on the envelope.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

David Riley wrote:Just checking.....is this a Northwestern-owned building? If not, some postemen won't deliver it to "Northwestern Quizbowl". If this your apartment, then your name needs to be on the envelope.
I don't remember what the address of the official mailbox is offhand, so yes, this is my apartment. Updated address:

Anant Shah, Northwestern Quizbowl
829 Foster St, Apt 409
Evanston, Il 60201
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
the return of AHAN
Auron

Confirming Barrington has enough to field 3 teams.
Jeff Price
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Need a moderator?
Jonah Greenthal
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

jonah wrote:Need a moderator?
I don't know yet if I'll be needing moderators because there's a good chance the program will experience a large enough influx of freshman that I won't have to really pay people to read. However, if you really want to come read/volunteer, I'm not gonna turn anyone down.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

indiaisasubcontinent7 wrote:
I don't know yet if I'll be needing moderators because there's a good chance the program will experience a large enough influx of freshman that I won't have to really pay people to read. However, if you really want to come read/volunteer, I'm not gonna turn anyone down.
Let me know if you want me. I don't need to be paid, but it would be nice to be provided lunch this time.
Jonah Greenthal
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

jonah wrote:
Let me know if you want me. I don't need to be paid, but it would be nice to be provided lunch this time.
That's something I should do...would pizza be acceptable for you?
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Dan, can you give another official field update?
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

indiaisasubcontinent7 wrote:Dan, can you give another official field update?
Barrington x3
Belvidere North x2
Fenton x2
IMSA x3
Latin x1-2
Loyola x2
Maine South x1
New Trier x2
SAA x1
Stevenson x1
Last edited by Dan-Don on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

jonah wrote:
That's something I should do...would pizza be acceptable for you?
Sure. Cheese, please; I don't eat the sorts of meats commonly found on pizza.
Jonah Greenthal
MLaudermith
Wakka

Post by MLaudermith »

Fenton is now bringing 2 teams. :smile:
Mike Laudermith, Fenton High School
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large

"Where can you belt back a fifth of scotch on the Firth of Forth?"
--geography tossup from the pioneering days of Illinois Scholastic Bowl
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

Dan-Don wrote:
indiaisasubcontinent7 wrote:Dan, can you give another official field update?
Barrington x3
Belvidere North x2
Fenton x1
IMSA x3
Latin x1-2
Loyola x2
Maine South x1
New Trier x2
SAA x1
Stevenson x1
Field Update:

Barrington x3
Belvidere North x2
Fenton x2
IMSA x3
Latin x1-2
Loyola x2
Maine South x1
New Trier x2
SAA x1
Stevenson x1
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
the return of AHAN
Auron

For the life of me, I can't think of who SAA is. Or is this one of those stealth (read: no coach) teams?
Jeff Price
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

cornfused wrote:
Moving Day wrote:For the life of me, I can't think of who SAA is. Or is this one of those stealth (read: no coach) teams?
From upthread, it seems to be these guys. They do have no coach or official team though.

EDIT: Unless I misunderstood your question; was this what you were asking?
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

nadph wrote:
cornfused wrote:
Moving Day wrote:For the life of me, I can't think of who SAA is. Or is this one of those stealth (read: no coach) teams?
From upthread, it seems to be these guys. They do have no coach or official team though.

EDIT: Unless I misunderstood your question; was this what you were asking?
I am not really sure what their situation currently is, but I think they're in a state of transition between coaches because I received an email from a parent who said she was transitioning into the coaching role. They will be bringing a team however.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

The tournament will be run in Kresge Hall. However, the initial meeting will take place in University Hall Rm. 102. After the meeting, we'll head over to Kresge and play there. The initial meeting will start at 9, so teams should try to check in between 815 and 845. Gameplay will hopefully get started by 930. Lunch will hopefully take place after the preliminary rounds are over, and then playoffs will take place after lunch.

Campus map (including places to park):http://maps.northwestern.edu/#latlngz=4 ... owlist=&t=
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
indiaisasubcontinent7
Lulu

REGISTRATION FOR THIS TOURNAMENT IS NOW CLOSED.

An official team list will be posted soon.
Anant Shah
WCAS '12
the return of AHAN
Auron

Is this still fixing to be a 4-team field at the MS level?
Jeff Price