Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at UCSD (10/9)

Old college threads.
manary
Lulu

Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at UCSD (10/9)

Post by manary »

UCSD Collegiate Novice Tournament Mirror
October 9th, 2010
10:00am-5:00pm
Building Student Services Center
[email protected]

Field (unconfirmed): Capped at 10-ish
UCSD 3
UCLA 1
ASU 3
UCI 1
Caltech 1
UNLV 1

This tournament is meant especially for college players who have never played quiz bowl. If you want to learn more about quiz bowl, please feel free to email us and we'll send you some great contacts. If your school already has an established team, this tournament would be great for your new freshmen and grad students as an introduction to the game. Please spread the word - this tournament will be a recruiting tool for all programs, as it will allow new players the chance to experience competition without the pressures of the more advanced teams and topics.

Price: $15/person, -$5 for bringing a buzzer, -$10 for bringing an experienced moderator, -$5/50 miles driven, FREE for out of state teams

Eligibility:
1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits).
ii. If you were ever on a playoff team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.
iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.
5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.
Clarification to rule 4.1: Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.
Procedure for applying for special permission to play: 1) Email Andrew Hart at [email protected]; 2) state which of the Rule 4 points would render you otherwise ineligible; 3) list when and how you came to achieve any of the accomplishments that lead to your being otherwise ineligible; 4) state succinctly why you want to play.

This post will be updated with the field and location information as it happens.

Micah
Last edited by manary on Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:12 am, edited 11 times in total.
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07
MattyJ
Lulu

Re: Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at UCSD (10/9)

Post by MattyJ »

Its a good idea in theory, but will it have enough player and interest?

I would think that truly new players would be reluctant to go on their own to an event like this. Telling 2 new freshmen to find transport and go off on their own to SD to play at something they have never tried without even the benefit of the other team members they have only just met seems like a non-starter to me.

Also without advanced or players with some experience there are not people to help them overcome being afraid of the buzzer and help with rules and formats.

I am not trying to disparage this tournament, but I hate to see effort wasted. Hopefully for all of us, all of our schools get a ton of new enthusiastic people with no experience to come to this, and to keep the circuit growing!

Matt
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.
- Dan Quayle
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

MattyJ wrote:Its a good idea in theory, but will it have enough player and interest?

I would think that truly new players would be reluctant to go on their own to an event like this. Telling 2 new freshmen to find transport and go off on their own to SD to play at something they have never tried without even the benefit of the other team members they have only just met seems like a non-starter to me.
Presumably most teams have either older players who might qualify for this event as well, or at the very least, older players who might be willing to transport said freshmen?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

Hopefully, for established colleges, a veteran quiz bowler will come with them and moderate. For new colleges, they will be excited and come on their own, whether they are freshmen or not. I want to encourage upperclassmen who have never played quiz bowl from those new colleges to contact us so that they can play.
Micah J. Manary
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

It's just a function of this California quizbowl island that tournaments, with or without eligibility restrictions, are going to be small. We deal with it.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Post by Sun Devil Student »

What wouldn't I give to be on your little island? The California quizbowl island is a lot bigger than the Arizona one!

ASU will definitely have some freshmen who would benefit from going to this tournament before attending ACF Fall the month after. The question is whether my few returning players with cars are willing to drive the freshmen (they would be much more likely to if they were allowed to play). I also believe one of the incoming freshmen who was in HSNCT playoffs with Brophy last year also has a car. Since you seem to be concerned about small field size, would it be alright for my drivers to play along with the actual novices?
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Sun Devil Student wrote:Since you seem to be concerned about small field size, would it be alright for my drivers to play along with the actual novices?
You might want to consider this:
manary wrote: Procedure for applying for special permission to play: 1) Email Andrew Hart at [email protected]; 2) state which of the Rule 4 points would render you otherwise ineligible; 3) list when and how you came to achieve any of the accomplishments that lead to your being otherwise ineligible; 4) state succinctly why you want to play.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Post by Sun Devil Student »

Ok, so I found at least 2 drivers for this. Expect at least 2, possibly 3 teams from ASU.

Is this thing still happening by the way? I really hope so, but there's been no movement on this thread for a while.
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

We'll know how many teams around the 28th after our first club meeting.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Right now, we're looking at some number of teams from UCSD (say, 2-4), 2-3 from ASU, and some from UCLA. Some other regulars, like UCI and Caltech, haven't outright let us know that they can't come. So this tournament is definitely happening. Be sure to email Micah!
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

Edited for more field updates!
Micah J. Manary
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

UCI's club is going with the innovative "don't waste time sitting in the back corner of a club fair trying to disabuse people of the notion that the club is into competitive bowling; try to find ways to do targeted advertising" strategy of recruiting new people. As a result we probably won't know whether we have a full or partial team until next week or later.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Expect at most 1 UCLA, we're still looking at how to get transport together.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I just reserved a zipcar, so expect a team from UCLA. I'll also moderate if needed/desired and we'll bring 2 buzzers, and be driving about 130 miles.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Zipcar changed my reservation without letting me know, and after spending an hour on the phone with them, we can't get a car until 8:00 AM, so we're going to be late. If you can (I think I saw an odd number of teams registered), please put UCLA's bye first. Sorry for late notice of us being late, but I just found out myself.

I really can't wait until I'm 21 and can rent from quality car companies that don't just change your registration at their will.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Golran wrote:Zipcar changed my reservation without letting me know, and after spending an hour on the phone with them, we can't get a car until 8:00 AM, so we're going to be late. If you can (I think I saw an odd number of teams registered), please put UCLA's bye first. Sorry for late notice of us being late, but I just found out myself.

I really can't wait until I'm 21 and can rent from quality car companies that don't just change your registration at their will.
You should be fine; the start time is 10 AM. For you or anyone else that runs into unexpected last-minute stuff, my phone number is (858)-349-2150.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
The Tourist
Lulu

Post by The Tourist »

ASU has seven competitors in San Diego at the moment, so we're not sure if we should stick with our previous three team commitment as 3, 2 and 2 (which might or might not be reasonable, as we have a couple players with closer to a year of experience) or compact into two teams of 3 and 4.

We're open to either (whichever is more convenient, I suppose), and if no one gets to this before about 8 tomorrow, we'll try calling.
Ian McCloskey
Arizona State '13
Arizona '16
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

Noted. We will work it out when you get there.
Micah J. Manary
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

Congratulations to Caltech, who swept the field by 2 games. It was great to see so many new players out there today - and it was great that players of all past quiz bowl histories could take part in the tournament. I think the tournament was very effective as an introduction to quiz bowl for new players, and I hope to see people at ACF Fall West (at Caltech) in November.

Full stats are below.

http://cchiego.myweb.uga.edu/cnt_standings.html
Micah J. Manary
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Because of eligibility criteria violations on Caltech's part, UCSD A is now the winner of this tournament.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)