GHOST: Lisle mirror of SCOP (10/30/10)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Bonito
Lulu

GHOST: Lisle mirror of SCOP (10/30/10)

Post by Bonito »

GHOST: Good and Honorable nOvice SCop Tournament

In coordination with Brad and Kristen of the Scholastic Bowl Community Outreach Program(SCOP), Lisle High School in Lisle, Illinois is hosting a scholastic bowl tournament targeted at novice difficulty tentatively for students who have not played at a national tournament(freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors).This is not your average scholastic bowl event- there will be trained moderators, accessibly pyramidal questions, wonderful prizes, and complementary help for improving. The tournament will be an open learning environment, so coaches and players are encouraged to discuss what they want or expect to see, as well as what actually occurs. Basically, I want to run as transparent an event as possible for everyone's benefit.

Here's a basic outline of details:

Coaches' meeting at 8:30, please arrive on time. Check-in from 8-8:30.
The games should begin at 9 and end around 3, with a one-hour hiatus for lunch around 12. Lunch will NOT be served in the high school, teams will receive directions to local restaurants. and each team is guaranteed at least 7 games.

Cost is $50 for the first team a school brings, $40 for any subsequent teams. (Note: I highly recommend bringing multiple teams if you intend on bringing more than 8 players. Playing is more fun than watching! If cost is an issue, please ask.)
$20 discount for being a SCOP affiliated team
Teams are asked to bring buzzer systems.

The questions will be written/edited by a handful of experienced quizbowl veterans headed by Kristin Strey and SCOP. Expect pyramidal questions on basic answer spaces that newbie players should be somewhat familiar with. Games will have 20 tossups worth 10 points each and the chance to be "powered" by buzzing in on an early clue for 15 points.

See http://apexquestions.net/id6.htm, for a slightly more in-depth version.
Want to prepare? Check out http://www.naqt.com/HowTo/improve-as-a-player.html.

One last thing: As this tournament is on the day before Halloween and uniforms are NOT required, teams are encouraged to dress up in silly costumes. I plan to run around tournament directing as a pirate. Awards for bizarre things will be announced later. Invitations will be mailed sometime soon to schools in the surrounding area. I look forward to hosting a wonderful tournament.

comments, registrations, questions, concerns? Contact Greg Dzuricsko @ (630) 687-2828 or belgianbronco@gmail,com for more.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN MODERATING, READING, SCOREKEEPING, OR OTHERWISE HELPING OUT THAT DAY, CONTACT ME. You don't need to have any prior experience, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Base cost lowered to 50$, SCOP discount, revised lunch option.
Last edited by Bonito on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Dzuricsko; Lisle 2011
MLaudermith
Wakka

Re: GHOST: Lisle mirror of SCOP (10/30/10)

Post by MLaudermith »

It's great to see you are hosting a mirror of SCOP, Greg.

You can put Fenton down for one team. I would be happy to staff.
Mike Laudermith, Fenton High School
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large

"Where can you belt back a fifth of scotch on the Firth of Forth?"
--geography tossup from the pioneering days of Illinois Scholastic Bowl
MLaudermith
Wakka

Post by MLaudermith »

Well, I just looked at the full list of mirror sites and realized that Maine South is hosting as well. Given that MS is only a 10-minute drive from Fenton, it probably makes more sense to bring my team there. Sorry, Greg.

Still really glad you're hosting a tournament, though.
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large

Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Well, I guess I will be the first to sign up for GHOST without retracting. IMSA would like to bring teams (at least 2, possibly 3 if there is room). Also, we have people available to help staff if needed; do you know what your current staffing needs are?
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

Current as of Monday, October 25th.

teams i received checks from(16):
Timothy Christian(1) - 1 buzzer
Fenton(2) - presumably 1 buzzer
Seneca(1) - presumably 1 buzzer
Dwight(1) - presumably 1 buzzer
Naperville North(2) - 1 buzzer
Oswego east(3) - presumably 1 buzzer
Bradley Bourbonnais(2) - 1 buzzer
Latin (2) - 1 buzzer
Carmel Catholic(2) - 1 buzzer
Metea Valley(2) - 1 buzzer

teams I have not received checks from yet(16):
IMSA(3) - 2 buzzer
Loyola(1) - 1 buzzer
New Trier (2) - 1 buzzer
Stevenson (2) - presumably 1 buzzer
Wheaton-Warrenville South (3) - presumably 1 buzzer
Somonauk(1) - 1 buzzer
Metea Valley(2) - presumably 1 buzzer
Crete-Monee(2) - 1 buzzer

staffing:
Lisle 4 readers + coach + score keepers
IMSA 2(Nolan? + Coach) + Mike Wong on SQBS!
Mr. Riley
Mr. Laudermith
Mike Perovanovic
Jonah Greenthal
Zahed Haseeb
Dan-Don
Colby Burnett
Ben Carbery
1 kid from Carmel! will probably scorekeep.
1 senior from Dwight! will probably scorekeep.
Last edited by Bonito on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 26 times in total.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

The Maine South site was canceled, so Fenton might unretract yet.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
MLaudermith
Wakka

Post by MLaudermith »

jonah wrote:The Maine South site was canceled, so Fenton might unretract yet.
You read my mind. Fenton will bring at least one team, and possibly two.
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large

Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

We have two students who each played one match at HSNCT last year and did not answer any tossups. Are they eligible to play this tournament? Either way, we probably will have one or two teams.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

I'll staff.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Are there any limitations on how many teams a school can enter at this point? I would like to bring 3 teams, and will put a check in the mail as soon as I get official word on how many teams I can bring.

IMSA will bring a buzzer system, and I would like to moderate if possible. I have two varsity players who would like to staff.
Dr. Noah Prince

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)

Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

Dan-Don wrote:I'll staff.
Hooray!

As we have a rather small high school, we're limiting the field to 24 teams, and thusly limiting schools to bringing only two teams for the foreseeable future. However, if our field doesn't fill up, I've created a waitlist for teams to play a 3rd team. Right now, it contains IMSA and Oswego East.
Bruce Fitzgerald
Kimahri

Post by Bruce Fitzgerald »

Can Stevenson get a team(preferably 2) into the Lisle tournament?

User was warned for lacking a signature.
Bruce Fitzgerald
Stevenson HS
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Ill probably be able to staff this if you need staffers.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

Edward Elric wrote:Ill probably be able to staff this if you need staffers.
Experienced quiz bowl staffers are certainly welcome. [=
Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

Here's a copy of the official flyer for GHOST that went out a few weeks ago to local schools.
Attachments
Good and Honorable nOvice SCOP Tournament.doc
GHOST flyer
(30 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

We will definitely have two teams. After an email exchange with Greg, we decided that Daniel and DJ will not attend this tournament because they are likely to play for a historically strong A Team during the season. Daniel and DJ will play at Northwestern based on that tournament's criteria unless Northwestern objects to that. I have no objection to the criteria of either tournament--while the overall idea is the same, the boundary line is being drawn differently, which is OK.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

At 20 teams strong, this mirror is shaping up wonderfully. I'm pretty psyched for the event in two and a half weeks. Register soon to secure your spot!
(As an extra reminder, teams are, in fact, made up of only four people.)

EDIT: Buzzers are fun things to play scholastic bowl and/or quizbowl with. Please bring them.
Last edited by Bonito on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Bonito wrote:Buzzers are fun things to play scholastic bowl with. Please bring them.
Wait, wait, wait: I thought this was a quizbowl tournament.
Dr. Noah Prince

Brian Mellon
Kimahri

Post by Brian Mellon »

I was trying to get into the Lakes site, but never got a reply from attempts to register. Is it too late to get 2 teams from Carmel Catholic in?

Brian Mellon
Carmel Catholic High School
Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

We can safely raise the field cap to 32! This means that Carmel Catholic can definitely register two teams. Coaches will be notified of whether they can field a third team on October 23rd, a week in advance.
This also means that we're putting out the call for experienced moderators, you'll get a free lunch!
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Is the field update upthread accurate?
Dr. Noah Prince

Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

Updated woo!
Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

With the addition of Crete-Monee, there are one and a half days for another school to enter before I give the spots to third teams from IMSA and Oswego East.

Tournament format with 32 teams lends itself to swiss pairings via the card system.
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Update on C teams please; I have many an anxious sophomore eagerly asking me if they get to play next weekend.
Dr. Noah Prince

Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

Lisle has room for only two teams from the waiting list, IMSA C and Oswego East C.

With the addition of third teams from IMSA and Oswego East, the field comes to a close. We'll be emailing confirmation letters to schools soon.
Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

In case stuff happens, I uploaded a copy of the confirmation letter for ease of use.
Attachments
GHOST Lisle SCOP confirmation letter.doc
Confirmation letter and such are public, yo.
(31.5 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

Stevenson A beat IMSA A for First.
Metea Valley A beat Chicago Christian A for Third.

The morning rounds of this tournament went very smoothly. However, we had a stats MEGA-delay after lunch. I'll post more later.
Bonito
Lulu

Post by Bonito »

On the surface, Rounds 1-5 went pretty amazing.

From a statistical/scheduling standpoint, this was a disaster. GHOST was originally intended to be small - about 16 teams, and as more and more teams registered, and other SCOP sites folded, I didn't alter the format to reflect the increase in field size. Inputting SQBS bouncebacks basically killed the day, with Round 2 just starting to be inputted into the system at 12. This reflects the vast amount of stats to be piled into the computer, especially when not all of the numbers were totaled, a mistake that could be corrected in the future by training scorekeepers better.

Anyways, while I was scrambling to get my coach back in the building to pay for pizza, it became readily apparent that we were not going to have afternoon seedings by 1. For anyone unfamiliar with the plans, we would have the 6 pool winners and the two 4-1 teams with the highest points per bonus be distrubuted across the two championship pools. Jonah ended up taking different rounds to input stats, and eventually we were working on 3 different computers to merge later into one file. I didn't know how long this was going to take, I received answers the form of give us half an hour, or 20 more minutes, which I tried to communicate the best I could to the poor teams waiting in the commons. Around 2:00 when they merged their shortcutted files(to shorten time, we decided to input individual stats later), we had numerous errors and duplicate games, meaning some teams ended up at 6-1 or 7-2(out of 5 games), leaving us rather helpless with what to do. We panicked, and resorted to simply inputting the records into an excel document and guessing based off that. Around 2:15/2:30, our excel document was still messed up, but it was obviously too late to do any more analytic options. I received (inaccurate) results and read them in order off the laptop.

Naperville North left at 1, because their coach had other matters to attend to, and other teams also left around or before 2. can't blame them much for that.

It wasn't until 5/10 minutes later when I heard that Timothy Christian had gone 5-0 in their pool and was somehow seeded 12th. There were some teams I remembered in the championship pools who had losses from earlier in the day, so I set off in a fruitless effort to try and have them exchange seeds with Timothy Christian, but after 10 minutes of running around the building, I came to the conclusion with their coach that their was nothing we could really do at this point, I'll be keeping in email contact with him.

Outside of that, some unexpected teams looked really strong, including Chicago Christian and Metea(meh-TAY-ah) Valley. I felt that alot of teams had some really enjoyable experiences in the morning a with the quizbowl format, like Somonauk, Oswego East, and assuredly more.

If you have any comments/questions please email me/post. Needless to say, I wouldn't recommend using bouncebacks for a tournament this large with inexperienced scorekeepers and statsmen. Players also preferred the candy reward for powers instead of the extra points.

P.S. Individual/team stats (from the morning) should be online sometime in the next two weeks, because it's a TON of work and Mike has stuff to do. This letter will be emailed out sometime soon.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I've been in positions similar to what you are describing with the stats (including this weekend), and what has saved us from having the stats interfere with the tournament is that I always make a win-loss grid for each team on a chalkboard in the stats room and have scorekeepers write whether teams got a win or a loss after each round there. That way we can quickly rank the teams by record and figure out which ones we need to know the ppg for, and then if the stats are not caught up we just dig through the scoresheets and find all the ones with affected teams and then calculate their ppg on my own. It takes anywhere between 2 and 10 minutes to figure out the playoffs this way and ensures that everything is as prompt as possible no matter what is going on. Stats are great, but there are times when they can hold up a tournament, and getting full stats are infinitely less important than getting the barebones stats that actually affect a tournament's outcome, so if the full stats causes a problem, dump it.

If your tournament is giving out individual awards, what I've always done is award the top individuals after the playoffs, and if our prelim stats weren't caught up going into the playoffs we've not worried about entering the playoff stats at all and instead spent the rest of our time getting caught up on the prelims before the playoffs ended. This weekend we even ignored entering in proper bounceback data so that we could more quickly create a list of top scorers. Again, the bare minimum of what you need is far more important the day of the tournament than getting everything perfect. As long as you go back and later create SQBS reports with all the right statistics, you should be fine.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Prelim stats are here. An attempt at overall stats is here, but they are very incomplete due to teams leaving, scoresheets not being turned in, and who knows what else.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments