TrashMasters at UT-Chattanooga 12/4/2010

Old college threads.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

TrashMasters at UT-Chattanooga 12/4/2010

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

Yes, Virginia, there is a TrashMasters this year. The 18th annual TrashMasters trash tournament will be held on Sat., Dec. 4, beginning at 10 AM at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Michael Kearney has graciously stepped in as this year's Editor-in-Chief. As has become the custom, the tournament itself will be Saturday only, but there will be some side events scheduled for Sunday AM 12/5/10. Full details, including fees and packet specs, will follow within the week.
-- Charlie Steinhice
Coach, UTC Academic Trivia Association
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com

"Come, come! Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)
eldermaas
Wakka

Re: TrashMasters at UT-Chattanooga 12/4/2010

Post by eldermaas »

Will the full details be forthcoming? With less than a month before the tournament, I am looking forward to it, but I would like to know what to expect in the way of packet submission, fees, discounts, etc.
James Washick, sponsor
North Greenville University Quiz Bowl
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Sorry -- I was literally out of the country last week.

Tournament play will begin at 10 AM Sat. 12/4/2010; registration will open at 9 AM. Right now we plan to use Grote 129 as tournament HQ.

Fees are $120 with no packet. The minimum fee is just $30 -- to get that, you need to send a packet meeting the specs below to [email protected] by midnight Sun. 11/21/2010, and it needs to be close enough to specs that Michael doesn't send it back for revisions. If it is returned for revisions and accepted on the second pass, the fee is $50.

If you get the packet to that address to that address after 11/21 but by midnight Sun. 11/28/2010, the fee is $60 without revisions or $80 on the second pass.

From Editor-in-Chief Michael Kearney, here are the packet specs:

I’m looking for packets with 24/24 questions blind to all teams, with 5-6 line tossups in 11-point Times New Roman font with 1/2 inch margins. Packets submitted should be in .doc form or Google Docs link. Italicise all titles, don’t number your questions, answers should have the relevant portion bolded and underlined, and should be prefaced by “ANSWER:”. Prompts, Do not Accepts, and other notes to the moderator should be in parentheses. If you’re using a point system other than 3-part/10 points each, make sure to put the number of points in brackets.

Bonuses should have a short lead-in explaining the topic being asked, but keep the actual individual bonus parts to 1-2 lines. Keep the bonuses to the typical 3 part, 10 points each structure, but if you want to have the occasional 10-5, or 4-5 part question, that’s fine as long as there’s a maximum of 30 points on each question.

TrashMasters is meant to be more difficult than your average tournament, so feel free to expand the canon a bit. That doesn’t mean firing out questions about the third-string quarterback from Arkansas, or Neil Diamond’s box set only released in Germany. As far as bonuses go, they should be able to be 30’d by a very knowledgeable team, but the 10 point-part should be a little more difficult than “Name this fast food restaurant, Home of the Whopper”. If a 5 year old, foreign exchange student, or senile old man could get your bonus, re-write it.

I personally like visual, tactile, activity, and gustatory questions, as long as the instructions are clear, you have enough supplies for everyone, and they’re not discriminatory to the disabled.

Examples of unacceptable questions:
Questions without sentence structure, like list tossups and bonuses.
Questions that mention other quizbowlers, things that happen in quizbowl, or your teammates’ favorite Killers album.
Questions that have blue hyperlinks in the structure, or other forms of plagiarism
Audio questions

Explicit content is totally acceptable when it is referencing titles, quotes, etc. (I would find it hard to write about Lil’ Jon, Samuel L. Jackson, or It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia otherwise) If you mention that “George Lucas raped my childhood”, that’s going to be edited out.

Here’s your packet requirements.
Music: 4/4 with a maximum of 1/1 on hip-hop, country, and indie rock
TV: 3/3 with a maximum of 1/1 Airwolf
Movies: 4/4
Sports: 3/3 while balancing the Majors and college, and not writing more than one tossup on the same sport.
Literature: 2/2 with 1/1 being from comic strips/books and graphic novels, and 1/1 novels, short stories, authors, etc.
Video Games: 1/1
Internet: 1/1 which includes YouTube, blogs, applications, companies, websites, etc.
Your Choice: Add another 1/1 of any combination of sports, video games or TV.
Other: 5/5 which includes food, board games, products, opera, landmarks, whatever as long as there’s only 1/1 per sub-category.

Balance your questions. Trash dinosaurs, feel free to write about what your kids are listening to. People who are actually still in college, go ahead and ask your dad what an LP was. Obviously, you won’t be able to get it perfect, but try to split your questions evenly between 2007-now, 1990-2007, and Pre-1990(questions about pop culture from the Cambrian Era will be begrudgingly accepted). Topics that span eras, like Spam, the Philadelphia Phillies, and Clint Eastwood can fit comfortably in any of those spots, so don’t worry about them.

Even though Wikipedia and IMDB are great sources of information, keep in mind that the statement “According to Wikipedia” means nothing at all. Just because some guy on the Internet says that Johnny Depp was totally one of the clowns at the beginning of The Dark Knight, check your sources in multiple places if possible.

If you haven't written a packet that meets these standards, I'll ask you to clean it up a bit, before I start my editing process. If it's too late to fix, I'll consider it a partial packet, and you'll get that discount instead.
-- Charlie Steinhice

-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)
eldermaas
Wakka

Post by eldermaas »

Any update on teams?

Joseph Dion, Stacy Helton and I are attending.
James Washick, sponsor
BerryCollegeBowl
Wakka

Post by BerryCollegeBowl »

Here's the unofficial list. Michael and/or Charlie can add to it as needed:

Hendry/Clancy/Weinstein/Kilby

Franklin/GPC

Lee alums/Helton

Dawson/Pryzgocki/Richards/Rollins

White/Richey/?

Pearson/Thompson

There's bound to be more, but this is what we've heard so far.
Kricket Davis, Coach
Berry College College Bowl
Mount Berry, GA
[email protected]
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

In addition to the six teams listed by Wade (thanks!), we have 4-5 more teams: Barnes/Vaughn, Kendall, one or two teams from Central Gwinnett, and UTC. Despite the delays, avoidable and otherwise, we're looking at a field of 10-11 teams right now.

Just a reminder: If you plan to attend, please let us know at [email protected] AND [email protected]. Operators are standing by.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
-- Charlie Steinhice

centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

one or two teams from Central Gwinnett
I have absolutely no idea who these "one or two teams from Central Gwinnett" might be. If any students from my school appear at your tournament, they are doing so on their own and at their own expense. Please have them call themselves something else, as no "Central Gwinnett" team(s) will be present.
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

It looks like this is going to bring a solid field. Any word on Sunday's festivities?
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
MichaelKearney
Lulu

Post by MichaelKearney »

Update: I count 10-12 teams coming, and 6 packets.

I'm not entirely sure who's playing on what team, but take a look at this list and e-mail me any changes to your roster. People on the bottom of this list, let me know when I should be receiving your packet. Also, if you plan on NOT writing a packet, I need to know immediately, so I can figure out how many house packets are needed.

Also, are there any teams bringing a side event for Sunday? I'm running KHAN(Kearney's Hundred-Question Audiovisual Nightmare) 3, and I'm checking on mirroring some other recent side events.

Received:
Washick/Dion/Helton
Barnes/Vaughn/White/???
Kendall
Dawson/Pryzgocki/Richards/Rollins
Franklin/Bush/Celio/Slade
UNC

Still Waiting:
Hendry/Clancy/Weinstein/Kilby
Pearson/Thompson
Georgia Gwinnett
UTC
Last edited by MichaelKearney on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Kearney, Vanderbilt '02
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

I will probably show up on Sunday. What time is everything starting?
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
eldermaas
Wakka

Post by eldermaas »

Unless there is a another contingent from Lee University, the Washick/Dion/Helton team is probably the aforementioned Lee alums (those none of us are actually Lee grads).
James Washick, sponsor
MichaelKearney
Lulu

Post by MichaelKearney »

Sunday's festivities will include a mirror of VAIN, a videogame tournament. Depending on how many people want to play, we'll run it as singles or doubles.

Also, if you're a free agent looking for a team, let me know.

If someone from DAR and UTC could confirm if you guys are bringing a team, and if you're writing a packet?
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

centralhs wrote:
one or two teams from Central Gwinnett
I have absolutely no idea who these "one or two teams from Central Gwinnett" might be. If any students from my school appear at your tournament, they are doing so on their own and at their own expense. Please have them call themselves something else, as no "Central Gwinnett" team(s) will be present.
That should be Georgia Gwinnett (the college), not Central Gwinnett (the high school). My error.
-- Charlie Steinhice

eldermaas
Wakka

Post by eldermaas »

For those interested, the Basil Rathbone Thugs N Harmony team (Joseph Dion, Logan Schell, James Washick, and Ruth Jackson) took first place with a 9-0 record. Someone can correct me, but I think the team of Celio, Franklin, Slade, and Bush took second.
Last edited by eldermaas on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Washick, sponsor
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Post by Dresden_The_BIG_JERK »

Is this getting mirrored anywhere? If not, can we get it wastebinned?
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Saint Joseph's College '08
IHSSBCA Certified Moderator
MichaelKearney
Lulu

Post by MichaelKearney »

Actually, I'd like to see if anyone would be interested in mirroring it. It's a 12-round tournament, 6-7 line tossups, with a hard difficulty level. With the lack of TRASH Regionals this year, are there any schools out there who want to run it?

If so, shoot me an e-mail at friendlyneighborhood(at)gmail(dot)com, if not, I'll have it cleaned up and sent off in 2 weeks.
eldermaas
Wakka

Post by eldermaas »

With the cancellation of the RIT mirror, are any other sites mirroring? Have these questions been posted?
James Washick, sponsor
joenguyen90
Lulu

Post by joenguyen90 »

Can the packets be posted yet? I don't see any announced mirrors of this on the forum, and I would very much like to see how this tournament was.
Joe Nguyen
UPenn '12

"Socrates said true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. By those standards, I'm the smartest man in the world. And also, who's Socrates?" - Stephen Colbert