EFT Mirror at Georgia Tech 10/23/2010

Old college threads.
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Re: EFT Mirror at Georgia Tech 10/23/2010

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

We still have room for a handful of teams, if people want to come or already-registered schools want to bring more teams.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
sychipola
Lulu

Post by sychipola »

Update: Chipola College will now only be sending one team(solo team) to this tournament.
Stan Young, Chipola College
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

I believe that Bama will have 4 teams for this and might be able to provide a moderator, if need be.
A.J. Collins
President of the Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team, 2010-2011

Rappahannock County High School '09
Alabama '13

This is ALABAMA QUIZBOWL!
Yuna

I've added building and directions to the original post.
Farrah Bilimoria
Karlheinz Stockhausen
Kimahri

Post by Karlheinz Stockhausen »

FSU would like to send one team, presuming it isn't too late.

Edit: Guess I should've read the board rules more closely when I signed up.

Craig Duke
Florida State University '11
User was warned for lacking a signature.
Last edited by Karlheinz Stockhausen on Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Duke
Florida State University '11
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Karlheinz Stockhausen wrote:User was warned for lacking a signature.
Come on guys, it's Stockhausen. How much more identification could he possibly need?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

grapesmoker wrote:
Karlheinz Stockhausen wrote:User was warned for lacking a signature.
Come on guys, it's Stockhausen. How much more identification could he possibly need?
Perhaps just some Kontakte information.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
Yuna

Just added an important note about possible roadblocks under directions-- basically there's going to be some food festival in Tech Square.

Unimportant edit: I just looked up Stockhausen and Kontakte. Highly amusing, you guys.
Farrah Bilimoria
Yuna

Shorter's addition to the field makes 19 teams counting Chattahoochee, Walton, and the second Pensacola team, just one away from our limit of 20 (I'm not sure if 1 or 2 over that is feasible with only 10 rooms). It would be very helpful if those schools would confirm that they are sending teams so that any other additions this week (I hope not, but it might happen*) can either be confirmed or waitlisted accordingly.

*Do not be deterred by this if you feel like just registering this week.
Try to do it before Friday though.
Farrah Bilimoria
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

Farrah, how far away is the Quality Inn Atlanta from the campus?
Owen Cooper
Gadsden City High School '07
Alabama '11

Out of business.
Yuna

Is this on 89 Luckie Street (2 miles; 7 minutes) or 2960 NE Expressway I-85 (10 miles; 16 minutes), to name two that showed up on Google search?

I'm guessing the one on Luckie, since it's on your route here.
Farrah Bilimoria
Yuna

Over the past few days I've sent emails to teams regarding finalizing teams, moderator experience, and emergency contacts. If you haven't gotten these, check that it isn't in your spam folder and let me know either here or by email.
Farrah Bilimoria
Yuna

Yes, according to a Parking and Transportation email sent out today, trolley routes will be changed and pedestrian access to Tech Square restricted over the weekend, so we won't suggest going to those restaurants.
Farrah Bilimoria
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Pensacola is pulling out due to some dumb reasons and minor drama that have come up in the past couple of days. We apologize for any inconvenience this could have caused.
Kay, Chicago.
Yuna

Okay, assuming all of the remaining 17 teams show up, it's looking like we'll split the field into two groups of nine (including a small house team). We'll have a nine-round preliminary round robin, during which one team from each bracket will have a bye. During byes you can either stay in the stats room or watch one of the matches. You can also read that round's packet in the stats room if you like, though you'll have to provide your own (not already staffing) reader.

After prelims, we'll give out individual scoring prizes and then rebracket into smaller groups (haven't really figured out what we'll do yet) and play at least three playoff rounds. Hopefully we won't have to go to tiebreaker rounds, but we will have two packets left over after the first twelve for just the occasion.
Farrah Bilimoria
Owner of a Thorne-Zytkow Object
Kimahri

Post by Owner of a Thorne-Zytkow Object »

List of wrestling-based comic books wrote:Yes, according to a Parking and Transportation email sent out today, trolley routes will be changed and pedestrian access to Tech Square restricted over the weekend, so we won't suggest going to those restaurants.
More details on this: if you aren't familiar with the area, try to avoid Fourth Avenue, as that is the entrance that is blocked off. I assume most people probably wouldn't know what defines "Tech Square".
Gregory Peacock
Dorman: '10
Georgia Tech: ??
Yuna

Hey, I did put it in the Oct 17 update.

And I think you mean Fifth Street.
Farrah Bilimoria
Yuna

Oh hey stats for rounds 1 and 2 are posted.

Also, I'd like to take this time to thank my teammates for helping me set things up and keeping me from having a panic attack while sorting out room assignments.
Farrah Bilimoria
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

So... how did this go? Are there playoff stats?
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Yuna

We do have playoff stats for the top bracket uploaded. I didn't know how to easily accommodate the rebracketing in SQBS, and after one failed attempt that already took up a lot of time and despairing a bit that stats wouldn't be ready for final standings, I arrived at the solution of entering only the matches for the top bracket into the playoff stats file so that we could determine a winner and give prizes (flipping through the prelim scoresheets looking for the top teams' matches was much, much easier and faster than culling the unneeded prelim entries from the SQBS file). I will enter the rest of the playoff stats after this writeup.
As noted above, prelim stats are here.

After nine preliminary rounds, we split the two prelim brackets into groups of three, and had the teams play cross-bracket matches (top bracket teams play teams in the other top bracket, etc). Also, the house team's matches didn't count for standings after prelims, and it was moved to the bottom bracket (switched with Wofford). Final standings were determined using only matches among teams within the same playoff bracket. USC A finished 4-1 in the playoffs, and Chipola, Walton, and UGA all finished 3-2. Before we could implement any tiebreaking procedures, Walton left and Chipola and UGA conceded to USC. They were going to play a match for second, but then decided to leave it tied.

Although this tournament generally ran fairly smoothly, there were a few problems, at least on my end. I didn't really think through room assignments for both people and laptops before the day of the tournament, and didn't confirm which people were bringing laptops. There was also the issue of whether the GT wireless and email systems would work for everyone throughout the day (GT people included). I think there were less communication issues than during last year's ACF Fall, since one of the people running the tournament (me) was doing stats and communicating with all the rooms. The other major issue for me was the aforementioned rebracketing in SQBS.

We also didn't have enough scoresheets for playoffs, but we did identify this problem at the beginning of the day, and were able to fix it after prelims. There was one case of a room finishing a bit late for the first few rounds but after a reminder about timing, it kept much better pace with the other rooms. I also should have recorded buzzer assignments for when people asked about where theirs were after all the rounds were done. I did slightly screw up the directions to the rooms I gave teams (namely, I forgot that there's more than one stairwell), but that's relatively minor. I apologize profusely for any delays or other issues experienced by teams or staffers.

The list of people I'd like to thank is much longer than what I expected it to be before the tournament. In no particular order:
Thanks to the teams that attended, and to UIUC and Brown for writing and letting us mirror this set-- especially to Ike Jose who not only sent me the set, but also sent me tiebreakers when there were no extra tossups. Thanks also goes to Charlie Dees for providing the editors' phone numbers, thus allowing us to ask for the extra tossups.
Thank you to all the staffers who came with the teams: Eric and Bryn from USC, Owen from Alabama, Meredith from Ole Miss, Kailey and the other Millsaps staffer (Devon?) and Chuck Pearson from Shorter. There is no way we could have handled all these teams without you guys. Thanks again to Mr. Pearson for resolving that one tied match after prelims and for the encouraging words. Also to Bradley, who came to read for playoffs, even though he isn't a part of our club yet.
Thanks also goes to JT from Alabama for providing individual stats for the one match where we lost stats-- next time anyone uses computerized scoresheets we will explicitly go over methods of avoiding lost data. Also to Connie Prater for providing the book prizes.
I would especially like to thank my teammates for helping organize and run this tournament. I spent many long hours on AIM with Adam and Gazi going over how to do things. Thanks also goes to Adam for taking care of welcoming teams and going over playoff procedures while I sorted out room assignments, sending packets, and entering stats. Thanks also goes to everybody else for setting up and putting back rooms, and also to Suvrat for printing off the scoresheets for playoffs and Kevin M for providing the money for printing. All of the little things I've mentioned above added up to keep the tournament from falling apart.

And now if you'll excuse me, I have the rest of the playoff stats to enter.
Farrah Bilimoria
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

List of wrestling-based comic books wrote:We do have playoff stats for the top bracket uploaded. I didn't know how to easily accommodate the rebracketing in SQBS,
All you should have to do is change the names of the divisions in the Divisions box and then change the division selected for each team on the team/roster page.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Yuna

Frater Taciturnus wrote:All you should have to do is change the names of the divisions in the Divisions box and then change the division selected for each team on the team/roster page.
Yes, but then you have to remove the matches that aren't between teams in the playoff brackets, described in section I.3.3 in the ACF rules.
Farrah Bilimoria
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

That's why you create multiple copies of the files and then modify only one of them.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

List of wrestling-based comic books wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote:All you should have to do is change the names of the divisions in the Divisions box and then change the division selected for each team on the team/roster page.
Yes, but then you have to remove the matches that aren't between teams in the playoff brackets, described in section I.3.3 in the ACF rules.
Also this isn't an ACF tournament....
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Yuna

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:That's why you create multiple copies of the files and then modify only one of them.
That is what I did initially, but I messed up partially due to confusion over what team we moved to the middle bracket, and possibly deleting or skipping entries that should or shouldn't have remained. Flipping through 80 SQBS entries took up the better part of at least one round, and there was no time to repeat it after I was corrected about what teams were in the bottom two brackets Now that I recall, I was helping set up our ninth playoff room while rebracketing was being done-- in hindsight, I should have sent someone else so I could have been better prepared for creating the playoff stats file. Given the circumstances, however, I remain convinced that I did the right thing by only entering the top bracket's stats with such little time left.
And we told teams that we were using ACF rules with powers, so why not?

Anyway, playoff stats are now here. Some teams in the bottom bracket have less than five games due to Ole Miss leaving after the playoffs started. If there are any problems with the stats, from misspellings to switched individual stats, let me know.
Farrah Bilimoria