General Discussion

Old college threads.
The Schopenhauer Power Hour
Lulu

General Discussion

Post by The Schopenhauer Power Hour »

Hey everyone,

Please feel free to discuss the questions here. If there's a consensus on wanting different threads for different types of questions or types of discussion, we can make more, but it seems to me to be conducive to discussion to keep it all in one place.

I'm very interested in hearing everyone's comments, especially since this was my first time editing a tournament. Comments on specific questions and discussion in general are both welcomed-- I know there were some issues with a couple of the questions, namely the tossup on the boxer Lewis that mentioned Lewis earlier (I have to talk to Jeff to check if it's the same person mentioned) and an issue with the beginning of the Revolver tossup. Other than that though, I hope the set was pretty solid, but either way I'd really like to hear your feedback.

Please discuss!
Logan Anbinder
University of Maryland '12
Cheynem
Sin

Re: General Discussion

Post by Cheynem »

This set was enjoyable and did some things very well, namely the most important thing of picking out accessible, interesting answerlines, which puts it way above many other trash tournaments.

Here are some general points that the editors may wish to take into account in the future:

*Tossups seemed overly long and occasionally difficult to parse. It felt like phrases like "A friend of the father of a friend of this character" or stuff like that popped up a lot. Simpler sentence construction and clue organization might help.

*Lead-in clues seemed heavily "Internet video-based" or "music video" based if it was a song. It felt like a decent amount of times good knowledge of a certain TV show or song could only produce buzzes a few lines in, while awareness of the Internet memes or parody videos attached to it could get even earlier buzzes. This is not a problem sometime, but it felt like it was happening a lot. Seeing the specific set might help here.

*I'll say more about specific questions as I recall them.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Particularly since I was pretty critical of the category at CULT and some other events, I'd really like to hear what people thought of the football in this set (I wrote all but the Thorpe/CTE bonus). I tried to avoid almost any stat clue that was simply numerically-based (even if somewhat distinctive), any of those "led the league in X in Y year" kind of clues, questions that asked about answer lines of marginal importance, and a number of other things I've felt sports tossups in general would be better off not doing. Also, I tried to ensure a drastic increase in the amount of Gilbert Brown-inspired hamburger names in this tournament's opening clues.

To give my own opinion of the set, I thought it was a solid outing by a first-time editor, made all the more laudable considering that this was Logan's first time as any sort of editor. Really, most people who wrote for this tournament were in their first or second year of being around any kind of real quizbowl, and I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I thought Matt's evaluation in the other thread (systematically solid questions with 1 or 2 clunkers per round) was pretty accurate. I'd imagine those clunkers are probably inevitable when you've got a team of inexperienced writers and a first-time editor, since there are just going to be some things that people don't know well enough to prevent too-easy leadins (the main issue I saw with the problematic tossups).

I also thought this tournament did a very good job of making sure each bonus had an easy part, with only a very few exceptions (largely internet-related stuff that likely seemed easier to a group of under-21s with similar-ish interests than it probably did to the wider public). I actually think this is an area where even the good trash tournaments have had problems, so I was glad to see TERP largely avoid the pitfall.

This tournament is hopefully another encouraging sign that trash events are finally undergoing the same systematic modernization that academic quizbowl went through several years back. There's a new generation of writers (among them David Seal, Marnold, et al with CO trash, Ben Frank and Joe Nguyen of Penn, and I think by virtue of his work on this set, now Logan) who are able and willing to take over for the cadre of people who've written most trash events but stayed bizarrely opposed to the wider push for editing quality. With TRASH possibly (hopefully) disbanding, CULT hopefully happening at least once every two years, and events like TERP and Penn Trash offering good prospects for annual, well-written trash tournaments, there's a real prospect of the slate being completely wiped clean of sets without any real interest or competency in editing.

I do hope that things like GARBAGE will be revived so the calendar can be replenished with other good events, or we'll undoubtedly see crappy tournaments pop right back up again - to my knowledge, only Penn Trash remains on the regular season trash calendar, and I feel certain that the ideal number of such events is higher than that.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

I can only echo the sentiments above me that this was a very strong and well-written tournament. I feel that Logan is to be commended, particularly as a first-time editor, for putting together a great set. I also generally agree with what has been said; yes, I felt that some of the wordings were awkward, and yes I felt that a lot of the music questions had an over-reliance on music videos in their clues. Chris, I felt that the football questions were perfectly acceptable. There were a few specific questions with which I had problems (not of the football, but in general), but I'd like to be able to re-read the set before I point them out, to ensure it was not an auditory error on my part, or a reading error on the moderator's part that led to my frustration.

I would just like to add onto the point that Chris made about the transformation of trash. As this is the first trash tournament I've entered, I can't obviously comment on some of it, but I'd like to touch on the idea that it's becoming more like academic quiz bowl. I think that this is fantastic. I've read tons of terrible trash packets, and I'm at a loss to understand why the bonuses can't have an easy/medium/hard portion. There were a lot of bonuses in this set that followed this perfectly- in fact, I'd say the overwhelming majority of them did. There was one in particular that I can recall, whose answers were "Brightest Day", "Aquaman", and "Deadman". I grabbed 30 on this bonus, but that was only because my father has a huge collection of comic books from the 1970s which I devoured as a child. I felt that it was actually a perfectly-constructed bonus. Anyone should be able to figure out/guess at "Aquaman"; if you have a good knowledge of comics/have been following promotional material for the new Green Lantern movie, you know the oath; Deadman is someone that only a hardcore comics nerd should know. There were also some that I felt swung too far towards the easy. Again, I'd like to re-read the set, but one that sticks in my mind was a bonus which included both "Hotel California" and "The Eagles" as answers. I understand that this was meant to be a tournament that swung towards being more accessible, but I felt like that was particularly egregious.

Now, after that slight harangue, I hope that I haven't come off as sounding harsh. This was just my stream-of-consciousness observation. I'd like to close this post by stating that I had a tremendous time playing this tournament, and I look forward to playing sets of a similar quality in the future.

-Brian
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
sidc
Lulu

Post by sidc »

I too like everyone before would like to thank and commend the entire writing and editing team for this tournament. Overall, the answers were very appropriate and varied among genres. As for the football questions, I loved them except for that Jim Thorpe one that you mentioned which had a clue that he was Indian somewhere near the beginning of the question. I thought there was a good mix of other sports that were not football, basketball, or baseball sprinkled out through the set and which did not go absurd with their answer choices.

I also very much enjoyed the TV questions in the tournament as they absolutely rewarded people who had actually watched the shows. Once again, answer choices were chosen very well with anything fairly old having to be very notable in some way. The questions about specific characters were also done well, especially the ones who are not the main characters but have very interesting stories (Helga Pataki, Ari Gold, etc).

For music, I agree with the too many clues about music videos, but I can't think of what else to put in lead-ins that don't involve lyrics or references in other media.

Overall, I and the rest of the Penn team had a very good time at the tournament and were very glad to see that there are certain trash tournaments which are being held to the same quiz bowl standards as most academic tournaments. I should have more insights when I get to see the actual questions again.
Siddharth Chandrasekhar
University of Pennsylvania '11
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I agree with Matt's sentiments about the tournament, that it was good overall but had a few not so great questions per round. I'll also echo that there were several instances where confusing wording led to people getting penalized for not parsing the question correctly (e.g. the "Ken" tossup that didn't indicate if it wanted Ken Griffey Jr.'s first or last name).

The football seemed well written. In general, I seemed to do a bit better on the sports in ths tournament than I usually do, which was a pleasant surprise.

I think song questions are an interesting problem and I'm not entirely sure how to solve it. For many songs, you simply can't mention lyrics early in the question unless you want to produce buzzer races. This leads to song questions using lots of clues from music videos, film appearances, etc., which isn't the worst thing ever but seems to reward a weird subset of knowledge.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

In terms of the music video clues, I do not mean to say that music tossups should definitely never use music video clues. I just think tossups should reward different things. Some tossups should be more about the lyrics, some more about the music video, some more about its usage in different media, etc. It just felt like most song tossups tended to use lead-ins about the music video or its role within Internet culture as opposed to perhaps difficult lyric clues (of course, there's also the question if there ARE difficult lyric clues for some songs, as Mike Bentley acknowledges).

One area independent of songs that I would like to see eased back on is not rewarding primary knowledge of a number of topics. This is hardly unique to TERP, but there were a number of tossups on well known characters or movies or TV shows that used lead-ins talking about Internet parody videos or short-lived spinoffs or direct to DVD sequels or whatnot. I'd like to see more solid lead-ins based on directly knowing the movie or character or TV show. End rant.

I thought this tournament did a nice job asking about things that people know. I'm not a big video game or music expert, but I recognized almost all of the answer lines and picked up a few questions here and there. I would love to see more trash tournaments like this produced throughout the regular season.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote: I'll also echo that there were several instances where confusing wording led to people getting penalized for not parsing the question correctly (e.g. the "Ken" tossup that didn't indicate if it wanted Ken Griffey Jr.'s first or last name).
I distinctly remember being baffled by this tossup because I thought it wanted a first and last name, leading me to waste about 15 seconds trying to recall ken from digimon's last name ultimately for no reason. Maybe I should pay more attention (I should) but maybe try to be more specific with what you are looking for.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

I too enjoyed the set overall and thought that the distro was great. The only question that posed a problem was the one bonus on Bollywood. IIRC the first part asked about Shahrukh Khan and one of the clues involved Om Shanti Om (unless our moderator blurted something wrong). The next part had the answer line of Om Shanti Om. The other thing that I heard mentioned was the Beatles TU involved clues from 2 seperate albums as opposed to the one they were looking for. Once again I do not have the set in front of me so I can not give a specific description of why it was wrong.

I'd like to thank the U of M for writing a highly enjoyable set.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
Bentley Like Beckham wrote: I'll also echo that there were several instances where confusing wording led to people getting penalized for not parsing the question correctly (e.g. the "Ken" tossup that didn't indicate if it wanted Ken Griffey Jr.'s first or last name).
I distinctly remember being baffled by this tossup because I thought it wanted a first and last name, leading me to waste about 15 seconds trying to recall ken from digimon's last name ultimately for no reason. Maybe I should pay more attention (I should) but maybe try to be more specific with what you are looking for.
I could have sworn that it specifically asked for a first name only throughout the entirety of the question, but we also had a team loudly enter our room in the middle of that tossup, so that might have contributed to me missing something you heard. Posting the tossup would be a good way to settle this issue.

But regarding the set as I whole, I thought this was one of the best trash tournaments I've personally played on. Besides a few hard tossup answers (the only one that comes to mind without the set to look at is Tris Speaker, although others might differ in their opinion of Speaker's askability for a TU), and some exceedingly long bonus parts that I felt appeared slightly more often than usual, I don't notice any prevelant issues with the set, which featured overwhelmingly well-written questions on well-known topics. Kudos to all the writers and editors that contributed to the set.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:I agree with Matt's sentiments about the tournament, that it was good overall but had a few not so great questions per round. I'll also echo that there were several instances where confusing wording led to people getting penalized for not parsing the question correctly (e.g. the "Ken" tossup that didn't indicate if it wanted Ken Griffey Jr.'s first or last name).

The football seemed well written. In general, I seemed to do a bit better on the sports in ths tournament than I usually do, which was a pleasant surprise.

I think song questions are an interesting problem and I'm not entirely sure how to solve it. For many songs, you simply can't mention lyrics early in the question unless you want to produce buzzer races. This leads to song questions using lots of clues from music videos, film appearances, etc., which isn't the worst thing ever but seems to reward a weird subset of knowledge.
Very true. I buzzed on "More Than A Feeling" because I remembered its usage in the trailer for "The Men Who Stare At Goats".
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
TheHumanPaperweight
Lulu

Post by TheHumanPaperweight »

I, for one, was somewhat disappointed that not every room read the "brought to you by" line at the beginning of every packet. I feel like I missed the joke on half the ones we did hear just because I wasn't ready for them.
--Steve Ours
GMU 2011 BS in Mathematics
Now wandering the mid-atlantic with little purpose
Lulu

I think everyone's comments about the music tossups are well-founded. The questions that had those issues were almost all written by me, and it's something that I didn't notice until near the end of the writing process. Once I did, I tried to include more varied clues, but I do think lead-ins for music tossups can be tricky to write. It seems to me that in general, clues about the music video can pretty regularly precede clues about the lyrics, since someone with a deep knowledge of a particular song is more likely to have seen the video. That also applies somewhat to the lead-ins that mentioned random clues, but it's true that even if you're a total "Total Eclipse of the Hard" die-hard you may not be aware of the Mastercard commercial that featured it. (And then you might end up rewarding people who watch a lot of TV rather than people who actually know the song-- My favorite buzz at CULT was powering the "Glory Days" tossup off the clue about the failed 2008 musical, having no knowledge whatsoever of the Springsteen song. But this can also be fun!) I actually think the biggest problem with the music lead-ins wasn't video clues, but clues about covers-- in retrospect, having deep knowledge of a song isn't necessarily reflected in knowing twenty other versions of that song, and I think probably a few more tossups used cover clues as lead-ins than should have. On the other hand, like Mike Bentley said, sometimes there aren't so many great clues for a popular song besides its random appearances on TV/film/Internet.

Here's the "Ken" tossup. I definitely could (and should) have made it clearer that it was asking for first name only, although I think I assumed once I mentioned "first name" for the Ken Hughes clue I assumed, poorly, that people would just follow the tossup through as wanting everyone's common first name. Although, George, you have now made me really excited for next year's TERP, which will feature a common link tossup on "Ichijouji" (although he absolutely could have had a tossupable last name, and again I should have made it clear the question wanted the first name.)
This name is held by the only currently remaining character from the debut of the UK soap opera Coronation Street, and is the first name of the writer and director of the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It is the name of the only major league player to hit the warehouse at Camden Yards in Baltimore, and a variant of this name is also given to the wheelchair-bound kid in the Backyard Sports series. It is the given name of the partner of (*) Wormmon in Digimon Adventure 02, but its two most famous fictional uses are as the name of a notable red clad participant in the World Warrior tournament in a certain video game franchise, and the male counterpart of a Mattel character. FTP, give this name shared by Ryu’s friend and rival in the Street Fighter series and the love interest of the doll Barbie.
ANSWER: Ken
Also, the Bollywood bonus did have that error-- I changed the second part to "Om Shanti Om" from a harder part and forgot to edit the Shahrukh Khan part to remove the OSO clue.
Logan Anbinder
Tom007
Lulu

Post by Tom007 »

A lot of us Canadians found the sports distribution to be very heavily skewed towards college sports and baseball/basketball. I recall only one hockey tossup in the entire tournament (Patrick Roy), although I find this issue with many American-written packets. And since hockey isn't as well known or popular south of the border, the questions that do show up are usually on the easy side. Nonetheless, I am a strong supporter of more/better hockey in packets of the future. But I digress.
Overall, many of the sports questions seemed quite obscure, although this could be another regional issue. The one that comes to mind is the bonus on Maryland alumni in the NBA. I understand the desire to write about something from your hometown, but this seemed a little too difficult.
Sports distribution aside, I thoroughly enjoyed this tournament. As mentioned before, primary knowledge of the subject was rewarded well, especially in TV and movie questions. An example of this was the Back to the Future tossup. I didn't know that Pepsi was upset because Marty ordered a Tab before ordering Pepsi, but I remembered the scene from the movie and powered the question. It was a nice balance between obscure fact and primary knowledge, which I definitely appreciate.
Tom Minard
M.Sc. Candidate
Department of Chemistry
University of Guelph
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Tom007 wrote:A lot of us Canadians found the sports distribution to be very heavily skewed towards college sports and baseball/basketball.
Well, these are overwhelmingly the most popular sports in America, so I think it shouldn't be at all suprising to any teams that they comprised a majority of the questions in that category. Obviously, being Canadian you wouldn't have (as) much interest in things like US collegiate sports, but their inclusion is something you should expect when playing American-written sets. This is analougous to American teams who should expect a 1/1 (or more) hockey distribution when playing on Canadian written trash packets, because the writers of the questions (whether they be American, Canadian, etc) will write to the interests of their primary audience, which in this case were Americans.

Now, with that said, I can empathize with the belief by some that minor sports (which I would say includes hockey in America) may have been under-represented at this tournament, and I agree that they didn't come up a ton, but personally I thought the appearance of minor sports questions was pretty close to perfect. There were definitely several questions on minor sports, but not enough IMO to detract from the principle interests of most American sports fans.
Overall, many of the sports questions seemed quite obscure, although this could be another regional issue. The one that comes to mind is the bonus on Maryland alumni in the NBA. I understand the desire to write about something from your hometown, but this seemed a little too difficult.
I think you're right about the regional issue - I could see how some of the sports questions would be hard for Canadian players (I did find that sports questions generally seemed to play to our advantage when facing Canadian teams at the McMaster site). There were a couple sports bonuses that I thought were pretty diffuclt, but the Maryland bonus was just about right I thought. While Len Bias (which I assume to be the easy part) would probably not be an easy part for very casual sports fans, he should be well known enough by bigger sports fans (of which, most teams will have one I would think) that it was probably ok as an easy part. While not one of the most recognizable collegiate players last year, Vasquez should still be converted by anyone who regularly watched college basketball last year, so he was probably ok as a medium part. Not sure what the last one was, although given the first ttwo answers I assume it was probably the hard part of the bonus.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
journterp
Lulu

Post by journterp »

Hey guys,

For the sports distribution, it was 1/1 baseball, 1/1 basketball, 1/1 football and 1/1 Other in every packet, which I believe is pretty standard for the sports distribution for most trash tournaments. I wrote most of the baseball tossups/bonuses, a few basketball and football tossups/bonuses and most of the Other distribution; Chris handled the lion's share of the football and most of the basketball, and multiple other writers filled in blanks as well.

I spent most of my question-writing time working on the Other part of the set, since I think it's the area of the sports distribution that seems to get the most complaints at trash tournaments, usually of the "OMG ANOTHER (hockey) (WNBA) (Olympic sports in a non-Olympic year) question!!!" As a result, I tried to spread the distribution as evenly as possible, while trying to hit areas of sports that don't neatly fall into one category but that nonetheless make up a part of what it is to be a sports fan. The answers for the other tossups were as follows:

Patrick Roy (hockey)
Tom Watson (Golf)
Chris Evert (Tennis)
Didier Drogba (Soccer)
Stanford (College sports)
Eagles (Team names)
Iceland (Blogosphere/smorgasbord)
Randy Couture (MMA)
JayZ (Sports ventures)
Tiger's Mistresses (Golf?)
Barack Obama (Video Games/Popular sports culture)
Lennox Lewis (Boxing)

Jack Kennedy wrote the Drogba tossup (much appreciated, since he knows FAR more about international soccer than I do); I took the rest of this distribution. While I guess Lewis/Couture and the JayZ/Obama questions were similarish in terms of where they'd fall, I tried to mix the selection as much as possible and not hit any area twice, so that a team that happens to have a hockey buff or WNBA nut (they must exist somewhere) isn't regularly benefiting from a single sport dominating this area of the distribution. I also tried to hit some areas that this distribution doesn't regularly look at in trash tournaments, but that I believe constitutes part of "being a sports fan," with the bonuses on fantasy football lingo, Stephen A. Smith and Joe Posnanski. I remember playing in a trash tournament (might've been Penn Trash in 2009, but I'm not sure) where I blew a tossup on Jay Mariotti, but being REALLY happy that Mariotti even came up - to me, knowing about Jay Mariotti has a lot more real-world sports fan utility and is more reflective of actual sports knowledge than, say, knowing the year-by-year statistics of Ducky Medwick or Ray Bourque. I don't think I pulled this off nearly effectively enough for this tournament (due to time mismanagement for which I have only myself to blame), but I'd like to know if this is something that other sports trash players want to see more of - testing out new areas of the sports answer space in the Other distribution rather than just writing another tossup about Dominik Hasek.
Jeff Amoros
Maryland '09
TheHumanPaperweight
Lulu

I do have one question regarding the specifics of the Sonic the Hedgehog tossup. I don't remember too many of the specifics, but I negged it fairly early on a clue about being held captive on Prison Island in SA2, which was true of Shadow at a point in that game's plot before it happened to Sonic. Was there anything before that point that clarified which hedgehog was correct? (the later clues did of course make it obvious)
--Steve Ours
Lulu

For reference, here's the tossup:
In an upcoming game featuring this character, Yacker warns him that his nemesis has built planet sized amusement parks in order to capture the Wisps. In another game, this character is chased and captured by the G.U.N. Federation, and is freed from his captivity at Prison Island right before half of the moon is obliterated by Space Colony ARK. He is frequently a passenger on the transformable airplane, Tornado, which he once used to get to Station Square to stop (*) Chaos. This character’s metal doppelganger was introduced in the same game as his girlfriend, who carries a large Piko Piko Hammer and is named Amy Rose. He is often paired either with his punching and gliding red rival or his friend, Miles Prower, who is a fox who can fly with his two tails. FTP, name this character who battles against Dr. Eggman, Sega’s mascot who is a speedy, blue hedgehog.
ANSWER: _Sonic_ the Hedgehog
The question-writer, Paul, says that the first clue is about Sonic Colors, which doesn't feature Shadow; also, Shadow doesn't have any upcoming games. So the tossup was uniquely identifying as Sonic before that clue.
Logan Anbinder
TheHumanPaperweight
Lulu

What preview did the question writer find that was detailed enough to confirm that none of the 3D Sonic Team characters other than Sonic himself are featured in that game or warned of the Wisp capture? By my count, that clue still leaves Sonic, Shadow, Vector, Espio, Charmy, Tails and Knuckles viable unless you have some source that shows they aren't featured in Sonic Colors.
--Steve Ours
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

As a just general heads-up, on the "I'm Not a Witch" tossup, the text seems to suggest that the "I'm You" directly follows C.O'D. saying the title phrase. In actuality the phrase "I'm nothing you've heard" comes between the two.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
TheHumanPaperweight
Lulu

I think you're right about the regional issue - I could see how some of the sports questions would be hard for Canadian players (I did find that sports questions generally seemed to play to our advantage when facing Canadian teams at the McMaster site). There were a couple sports bonuses that I thought were pretty diffuclt, but the Maryland bonus was just about right I thought. While Len Bias (which I assume to be the easy part) would probably not be an easy part for very casual sports fans, he should be well known enough by bigger sports fans (of which, most teams will have one I would think) that it was probably ok as an easy part. While not one of the most recognizable collegiate players last year, Vasquez should still be converted by anyone who regularly watched college basketball last year, so he was probably ok as a medium part. Not sure what the last one was, although given the first ttwo answers I assume it was probably the hard part of the bonus.[/quote]

The other part of that was Steve Blake, whose role on the national championship team of 2002 was mentioned along with his stops as an NBA journeyman. It seemed fairly makeable to me, although being from ACC territory and a Wizards (one of his teams) fan makes it a bit hard to judge.
--Steve Ours
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

I confused Steve Blake with Juan Dixon on that question. Got the Vazquez one. Actually missed the Len Bias one, over which I'm still smacking myself. I didn't find the college sports questions ridiculous, and my knowledge of that field is what I would consider to be minimal.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
Temple University '20
silverscreentest
Lulu

Post by silverscreentest »

My father died last Wednesday. I say this in a blatant attempt at sympathy and to tone down the flames of those who disagree with me.

First of all it hasn't been mentioned how quickly and efficiently Maryland ran the tournament. I read at the high school fall tournament in September which also ran smoothly. My team had a great time, even if we didn't place well. It was geared younger and we knew that going in.

I'll second the criticism of questions where it was hard to find what the questions was asking for - a song, an album, a character, an actor? The very first question had a ridiculous repetition of the words "this man", but at least we knew the answer was a male human.

IMO there seemed to be more bonuses where the easy part wasn't easy enough in comparison to CULT.

Could the Beatles toss-up with the answer Revolver be posted? I buzzed in on "Scrambled Eggs", which was a working title for "Yesterday", but it was not on Revolver.

I thought there were two incorrect judgment calls, one that went against us, one that went for us. In the one that went for us, the other team had buzzed in, but someone on our side gave the correct answer. Despite having heard the correct answer from us, the other team got it wrong and we got the toss-up on the bounceback. In retrospect, we probably should have been called for consultation and a -5. In the call that went against us, the first toss-up for Packet 10 was read during Round 9 and we got it right. The mistake was then discovered, but our correct answer was disallowed. We should have been been given credit for the toss-up and the rest of Packet 9 read as if the toss-up had been meant for the packet all along. These calls didn't matter to the outcomes of the games, but I wouldn't want these mistakes to be repeated in the future when there are bigger stakes.

While our team was having our "Get Off My Lawn" gripe session at lunch, my team was complaining about the pronunciation. I don't want to pick on anybody in particular but the ones I can remember are Dashiell and Koufax.

Overall, I repeat that we had a great time and these criticisms didn't significantly diminish our enjoyment.
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

silverscreentest wrote: Could the Beatles toss-up with the answer Revolver be posted? I buzzed in on "Scrambled Eggs", which was a working title for "Yesterday", but it was not on Revolver.
OMG I did the exact same thing. I knew it wasn't on Revolver so I was rather confused by the answer. What I said was wrong as well though, haha.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Lulu

That clue in the Revolver tossup had a mistake that's since been fixed, but for the record the original tossup (with error included) was:

One song on this album was motived by an acid-driven conversation with Peter Fonda. Another was, in its early stages, about “Ola Na Tungee” and had the working title “Scrambled Eggs.” Marianne Faithfull's voice was the inspiration for the vocals on “Here, There, and Everywhere”, while the subject of “And Your Bird Can Sing” is unclear. One song from this album criticizes (*) Mr. Wilson and Mr. Heath, and another asks the listener to “please don't spoil [his] day.”. This album saw a greater songwriting contribution from George Harrison than any of its predecessors, and includes the songs “I'm Only Sleeping”, “Taxman”, and “Eleanor Rigby.” FTP, name this 1966 album by the Beatles, whose title is a pun on what happens when you put a record on a turntable.
ANSWER: Revolver

Again, the "Scrambled Eggs" clue has been replaced for the final mirror of the tournament this weekend.
Logan Anbinder
Tom007
Lulu

Post by Tom007 »

Unless I am mistaken, I believe all mirrors of this have finished. Any word on when the questions will be submitted to Wastebin?
Tom Minard
M.Sc. Candidate
Department of Chemistry
University of Guelph
Lulu

I submitted the packets a few days ago, so hopefully they'll be up shortly.
Logan Anbinder
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

They're up now.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008