BATE High School Tournament Available for Mirrors

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

BATE High School Tournament Available for Mirrors

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Hey everyone,

The BATE High School Tournament will be available for mirrors starting the weekend of October 2nd until the end of the quizbowl season. BATE is a regular difficulty high school set (roughly the same difficulty of an NAQT IS level set or a regular season set by HSAPQ) written by myself, Tanay Kothari of Bellarmine, Shen Gong of LASA, Vikram Somu of Chattahooche, Douglas Graebner of UChicago, Don Taylor of UIUC, Sandy Huang of Dunbar and Jonathan Magin. I will be editing the set.

BATE will consist of 12 rounds, two of which are finals rounds written at a somewhat harder difficulty. The vast majority of tossups (about 95% or even higher) will be 5-6 lines long. This tournament will also be free to mirror.

The distribution is as follows:

4/4 Literature (1/1 American Literature, 2/2 European Literature, 1/1 World Literature
4/4 History (1/1 American History, 2/2 European History, 1/1 World History)
4/4 Science (1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Biology, 1/1 Physics, 1/1 other science which includes math, geology, astronomy and computer science)
3/3 Art (1/1 Painting, 1/1 Non-Painting Visual, 1/1 Music)
2/2 Religion, Mythology, and Philosophy
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Geography
1/1 Current Events+Pop Culture (since I anticipate this tournament to mirrored by different sites over a long time period, I will be periodically updating this category to ensure that is up to date)

Each packet will also have an additional 3 tossups and 1 bonus.

Some additional details
-This set is not powermarked.
-Tournament directors may choose whether or not to have -5 negs and bounceback bonuses

Although I won't be super picky as to who can mirror this set, I would like tournament directors who mirror BATE to provide a format that guarantees each team in attendance at least 6 games, use a round-robin playoff format, and provide stats of all participating teams. While I won't be too strict on these rules, if two schools from the same region would like to mirror this tournament, I will give preference to the school which can better meet these criteria.

In addition, I would like tournament fees at mirror sites to reflect the fact that I am letting schools mirror this tournament for free. That is, I would like schools to charge a bit less than what they would normally charge. I will be somewhat strict with this last consideration.

If you would like to mirror BATE, or have any questions about the tournament, please email me at [email protected].

Here are the sites that will most likely be mirroring this tournament, to be updated on a regular basis:
-Loyola Academy-Illinois, Dec 11
-Chattahoochee High School-Georgia, Dec 11
Bellarmine-California, sometime in spring
-Jefferson City High School-Missouri, Nov 13th
-Maggie Walker, March 5th.

That still leaves the DC Mid Atlantic area, the New York City area, Michigan, Minnesota, possibly Southern California, and any other regions I may have missed as potential spots for mirrors.

Edit: I realized the original distribution added up to 21, not 20 tossups so I changed RMP from 3/3 to 2/2
Last edited by Ondes Martenot on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Re: BATE High School Tournament Available for Mirrors

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Hey,

Just a bump to show where BATE is at in terms of mirrors-so far we've got California, Illinois, Missouri and the Georgia. I still would really love to have this set mirrored in other parts of the country, so if you're interested in mirroring this free set, please email me at [email protected]
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Post by Dresden_The_BIG_JERK »

Somebody please please please call their tournament something like "BATE's Mirror Of Tournament; Expert Level"
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Saint Joseph's College '08
IHSSBCA Certified Moderator
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I just moderated a day of this tournament and I felt strongly that the tournament was too hard to be described with the following quote - "BATE is a regular difficulty high school set (roughly the same difficulty of an NAQT IS level set or a regular season set by HSAPQ)." If I could be forwarded a copy of the set I would appreciate it so I can comment further, my email is [email protected].
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Flutist Wren
Lulu

Post by Flutist Wren »

Stats for the Jefferson City mirror: Prelims, Playoffs, Combined

Also, here is the thread for the tournament on the Missouri quiz bowl forums.
Sam Haynes
Jefferson City High 2011
WUSTL 2015
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

How does a team go 3-7 and have a 1.11 BC?
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

The Gambler, the Nun, and the Radio wrote:How does a team go 3-7 and have a 1.11 BC?
It gets more tossups than another team with a similar PPB three times.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Francis the Talking France
Wakka

Post by Francis the Talking France »

Look at the rest of the field...That's how.
Matt Duchan
Chapel Hill High School '12
University of Denver '16
Director of the 2013 Colorado State History Bowl
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I think Harry's post was rhetorical.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

octo wrote:Stats for the Jefferson City mirror: Prelims, Playoffs, Combined

Also, here is the thread for the tournament on the Missouri quiz bowl forums.
Hey Sam just an FYI some of the names are doubled up because they were entered with or without a period at the end of their last name.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Flutist Wren
Lulu

Post by Flutist Wren »

Edward Elric wrote: Hey Sam just an FYI some of the names are doubled up because they were entered with or without a period at the end of their last name.
This and another error with round numbers should be fixed.
Sam Haynes
Jefferson City High 2011
WUSTL 2015
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:I just moderated a day of this tournament and I felt strongly that the tournament was too hard to be described with the following quote - "BATE is a regular difficulty high school set (roughly the same difficulty of an NAQT IS level set or a regular season set by HSAPQ)."
After hearing the BATE question set yesterday at Chattahoochee's mirror, I would definitely agree with Charlie's statement that it was too hard to be considered at a similar difficulty level to an average IS or HSAPQ set. However, I thought this was an excellent set and my students very much enjoyed playing it.

If at all possible, I would also love to receive the set of questions some time prior to the final mirror date in the spring. My e-mail address is: [email protected].
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Just for clarification, BATE will be mirrored at Loyola Academy on Jan 22, Dec 11 was the Harvard Fall Tournament Mirror at Auburn.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

For those of you not yet aware, this set will be mirrored by Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio on March, 26th, 2011. For those interested in further details the tournament announcement can be found here. Please feel free to email me at sww8[at]case[dot]edu with any questions or registrations.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer