NIU Huskie Bowl 29 Jan 2011

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TheDoctor
Rikku

NIU Huskie Bowl 29 Jan 2011

Post by TheDoctor »

The Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association is pleased to announce the return of our annual Huskie Bowl tournament, to be held on 29 January 2010. This year, we will host two divisions: a competitive division using the “ABC” set being co-written by VCU and Vanderbilt (more information available here); and a learning division using NAQT’s IS-99A (samples available here; see "IS-69A"). Each division will be treated as a separate tournament, and a winner will be declared from each; the competitive division has traditionally served as a qualifier for PACE’s NSC national tournament at Northwestern University, and the learning division will serve as a qualifier for NAQT’s HSNCT national tournament in Atlanta, Georgia. Both divisions will use national format.

Each division is currently capped at 12 teams, but that number may be raised with interest, and we're hoping that the combined tournament attendance will exceed 30 teams. “B” teams will be waitlisted until 1 January, and "C" teams until 15 January, when registrations will be finally closed. On those dates, I will contact all coaches with a field update, apprising you of which additional teams will be allowed to attend (this will be determined on a first-come, first-serve basis). Fees for both divisions will be as follows:

Basic entry fee: $65/team
Extra team discount: -$10/additional team from a school
Buzzer discount: -$5/working buzzer (limit one per team, not per school)
Worker discount: -$5/worker (must have experience in national format or agree to complete online training earlier than 22 January)
SCOP Novice team discount: -$20/team (applies to registered teams who will have received workshop training prior to the tournament date)

There are no registration forms for this tournament. Please e-mail me (strey [dot] k [dot] a [at] gmail [dot] com) with the number of teams you’d like to register, the division(s) you’d like to enter, and the discounts you expect to receive. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I hope to see you and your teams at the tournament!

We'd love to help you out if you're coming from a long distance. Contact me regarding hotel accommodations or if you need a travel discount to be able to attend.
Last edited by TheDoctor on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
TheDoctor
Rikku

Re: NIU Huskie Bowl 29 Jan 2011

Post by TheDoctor »

This post reserved for field updates. If your team is not listed, it is because I am waiting on confirmation regarding which division you wish to play.

Competitive
Auburn A
Auburn B
Detroit Catholic Central
IMSA
Keith Country Day A
Lisle
Loyola
Moline
New Trier
Proviso North
Stevenson
St. Ignatius

Learning
Auburn C
Auburn D
Belvidere North A
Belvidere North B
IMSA B
IMSA C
Keith Country Day B
Lisle
Loyola
Maine South
Quincy
Riverside Brookfield
Last edited by TheDoctor on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Open call for moderators/workers! Many of you will soon be receiving e-mails, but if I don't have your address and you'd like to work this for free Portillo's beef sandwiches, all are welcome.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Side Events! Watch this post for updates!

We will be hosting two side events after the tournament ends. Immediately after the tournament, we'll be hosting Mike Bentley's Eyes that Do Not See II visual visual arts tournament to kill some time (you're welcome, Jonah) before Saul Hankin's Harry Potter theme tournament. Eyes will be one-on-one shoot out-style, and Harry Potter will be doubles. There's a good chance that we'll order out pizza for all Harry Potter attendees (as those who stay just for Eyes probably won't be here late enough for dinner), with costs included in the fees.

Space reserved for field updates:
Eyes that Do Not See II: $5/person
Mike Perovanovic
Belvidere North (?)

Harry Potter: $10/person
Danielle Long
Katie Long
Proviso North A
Proviso North B
Belvidere North

Free Agents:
Dan Donohue
Jonah Greenthal
Kristin Strey
Last edited by TheDoctor on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:50 am, edited 10 times in total.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Well I'll volunteer to moderate (in order to save the bombardment from you when I run into you at other tourneys). Also i'll play the Eyes that Do Not See II side event. I suck at Harry Potter knowledge so I'll moderate for that if need be.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

TheDoctor wrote:and a learning division using NAQT’s IS-97A
According to naqt.com, this should read IS-99A. (Let me know if you need 97A for some reason, and I'll see if we can switch it.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Oops! My apologies. Corrected.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

I'll gladly volunteer to staff the main tournament and play in the Harry Potter tournament if someone will have me on their team.
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Just a reminder that sign-ups will close in a couple of weeks. Looks like we'll have a cozy tournament this year, eh?
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

Stephen Colbert wrote:I'll gladly volunteer to staff the main tournament and play in the Harry Potter tournament if someone will have me on their team.
I'll play with you.

If the field stays small, and you don't need so many staffers, I can just show up for Harry Potter.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Side tournament fees are up. Eyes will be $5/person and Harry Potter will be $10/person (to cover the dinner order).

Though I can't yet update the official team list, we are rapidly approaching the field cap for both divisions. If you wish to register your team, please remember that registrations will be closed at the end of this week.

We're still looking for workers. Let me know if you're interested!
Kristin Strey
SCOP
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Registration is now closed. Both divisions have been filled. We are waiting on confirmation from one team in the upper division; if that team chooses not to participate, DCC's B team will fill the field. I will be sending out an e-mail in a few minutes to all coaches of attending teams. Let me know if you don't get yours (i.e. if I have the wrong e-mail address). We're still short 6 moderators, and would welcome anyone who would like to participate for free Portillo's Italian beef sandwiches (delicious!).
Kristin Strey
SCOP
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Stillman Valley will unfortunately be unable to attend, so we have one open spot in the lower division.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
mr_basque
Lulu

Post by mr_basque »

I have 1 entry for Harry Potter and most likely will have a couple for the fine arts as well, will let you know shortly.

John Basque
John B.
ACE staff member
Coach Dyer
Kimahri

Post by Coach Dyer »

Could I have that spot in the lower division?

User was warned for lacking a signature --Mgmt. (Also, your email automatically displays in the links below your post; I have removed it to deter spammers.)
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

OK, this time I'm pretty sure we actually do have our final field. A last informational e-mail will go out to coaches with my contact information for the day of the tournament later this week. E-mail with any questions!
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Post by Boeing X-20, Please! »

TheDoctor wrote:OK, this time I'm pretty sure we actually do have our final field. A last informational e-mail will go out to coaches with my contact information for the day of the tournament later this week. E-mail with any questions!
Word of mouth says that this tournament is now using the Dorman set instead of the VCU/Vandy set which is listed in the first post. Is this correct?
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

This is correct. You know good rumor-ers.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

TheDoctor wrote:Proviso North
Whoa! Awesome.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

TheDoctor wrote:This is correct. You know good rumor-ers.
Uh, thanks for the heads-up, I guess?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:This is correct. You know good rumor-ers.
Uh, thanks for the heads-up, I guess?
I'm sorry if I should have informed someone else, but I did inform Greg Gauthier about this a while ago, since he was the one who sent me the packets.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

So, is there some sort of way that the fact that packets increase in difficulty progressively throughout the tournament is going to be accounted for? You know, since this is a round-robin or is it just going to be luck of the draw as to the difficulty of the packet that you play against x team?

EDIT: Grammar/Spelling
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
adeveau
Lulu

Post by adeveau »

I just wanted to register my disappointment that the set was changed without notice after teams had already registered. Had I know that this tournament was to be played on a set that contains several novice-level packets, I would have considered not registering. I have no interest in playing any novice-level packets, especially given the competitive field.
Andrew Deveau
St. Ignatius

Born on the same day as Austen
bcarbery
Lulu

Post by bcarbery »

adeveau wrote:I just wanted to register my disappointment that the set was changed without notice after teams had already registered. Had I know that this tournament was to be played on a set that contains several novice-level packets, I would have considered not registering. I have no interest in playing any novice-level packets, especially given the competitive field.
I agree
Ben Carbery
Oak Park 2011
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Why on earth was this set written this way? I thought everyone agreed that what Sandy did last year with DAFT, for example, was a horrible mistake, in basically ordering the tossups in increasing order of difficulty throughout the day.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
sssssssskkkk
Lulu

Post by sssssssskkkk »

Wait...for what exact reason was the Vanderbilt set ditched for the Dorman set?
Webster Guan
California Institute of Technology (2012-)
Illinois Math and Science Academy (2009-12)
Writer, NAQT (2013-)
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Yeah, graduated packets are kind of a major issue. You can't really ameliorate the problem simply by bracketing or anything, either, because, as Deveau has pointed it, the field is really competitive. Are there no college sets we can get our hands on? Furthermore, what exactly is the issue with the ABC set? If the "egregious" issues that George alluded to in the ABC mirroring thread have been sufficiently been taken care of, then I'm not sure I understand why this very late and strange decision was made.

One more thing: This was going to be told to us regardless of whether or not Nolan was going to bring it up, yes?
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

bcarbery wrote:
adeveau wrote:I just wanted to register my disappointment that the set was changed without notice after teams had already registered. Had I know that this tournament was to be played on a set that contains several novice-level packets, I would have considered not registering. I have no interest in playing any novice-level packets, especially given the competitive field.
I agree
Carbery, you're not even listed as registered for the tournament.

EDIT: I have been informed that the Proviso North team will include Carbery. Also, the State College team will be attending as "Moline".
Last edited by Charles Martel on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

Your Cup of Robust Tea wrote: One more thing: This was going to be told to us regardless of whether or not Nolan was going to bring it up, yes?
Yeah, if anything I'm most upset/disappointed that despite your claim of telling Greg Gauthier "about this a while ago", there seems to have been no effort/attempt to inform teams, coaches, or players of this through an e-mail or forums post.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

Your Cup of Robust Tea wrote:Yeah, graduated packets are kind of a major issue. You can't really ameliorate the problem simply by bracketing or anything, either, because, as Deveau has pointed it, the field is really competitive. Are there no college sets we can get our hands on? Furthermore, what exactly is the issue with the ABC set? If the "egregious" issues that George alluded to in the ABC mirroring thread have been sufficiently been taken care of, then I'm not sure I understand why this very late and strange decision was made.
Without disclosing particulars, I must make it clear that the decision to change packets was not made lightly. I am aware of the issues presented by graduating difficulties, but weighed these against certain issues with the ABC set that could not be overcome. Had there been another set available, we would have used it. Our options, however, are very limited right now. If anyone would like to suggest an alternative, I'd appreciate an e-mail.
Secretary of Bobcats wrote:So, is there some sort of way that the fact that packets increase in difficulty progressively throughout the tournament is going to be accounted for? You know, since this is a round-robin or is it just going to be luck of the draw as to the difficulty of the packet that you play against x team?
Your information is not as reliable here; the tournament will be a 2x6, 2x6 schedule, allowing the issue of the graduating difficulty in the rounds to be addressed in the schedule.
Your Cup of Robust Tea wrote:Yeah, if anything I'm most upset/disappointed that despite your claim of telling Greg Gauthier "about this a while ago", there seems to have been no effort/attempt to inform teams, coaches, or players of this through an e-mail or forums post.
"A while ago" is a subjective term, and I'm frankly offended that you have chosen to assume the worst of me. Here, it refers to a while ago earlier today, when the final decisions were made. The e-mail containing the information is written and will be sent later this week. We have been scrambling to acquire a new packet, and were unsure until today that we could acquire one.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

It looks like we will be using the ABC set after all. Thanks in advance to VCU's editing team, and to the astute individuals who located the thread alerting us to the edited set.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Jane Fairfax
Wakka

Post by Jane Fairfax »

One question: Has the set for tomorrow been power-marked?
Lloyd Sy
Auburn 2012
Brown 2016
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Jane Fairfax wrote:One question: Has the set for tomorrow been power-marked?
Power marking juuuuuuust finished up. So yes.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

A big thank you to everyone who worked so hard to make this tournament a success. I had a lot of fun today, and I hope you did, too. Thanks to Jonah Greenthal and Brad Fischer for working late into the night to powermark everything, to all the moderators and staffers: Tom Egan, Mike Laudermith, Jonah Greenthal, Brad Fischer, Diane Fischer, Laura Douglass, Danielle and Katie Long, Mike Wong, Mike Perovanovic, Connie Prater, Dan Donohue, and particularly John Basque, David Riley, and Mr. George, a very kind parent from Auburn, who all agreed to staff rather than follow their respective teams. Thank you to Noah Prince for stepping in to moderate a round while Brad went off in search of Portillo's beef. Thanks, also, to Tom Egan again, who stayed to help us tear down.

Standings!
Placing top in the upper division:
1. Auburn A
2. Loyola A
3. Detroit Catholic Central
4. Stevenson

And in the lower division:
1. IMSA B
2. Belvidere North A
3. Maine South
4. Loyola B

Stats!
Upper Division
Lower Division Morning
Lower Division Playoffs
Lower Division Combined

And!
Congrats to Kevin Malis and Zach Blumenfeld (12-Inch Wands), who won huge cred by dominating the Harry Potter theme packet. Stats. Consolation goes to Dan Donohue and Jonah Greenthal (Fleur Delacour...), who lost by ten in the finals that, for some reason or another, were never recorded.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Boeing X-20, Please!
Rikku

I don't have my notebook on me, but I'm gonna assume that our Rd 4 game was not actually Loyola A 270, St. Ignatius 200 but probably a typo from 370-300 based on our seeming 12.7 &14.4 ppbs that round.
Nolan Winkler
Loyola Academy '12
UChicago '16
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Secretary of Bobcats wrote:I don't have my notebook on me, but I'm gonna assume that our Rd 4 game was not actually Loyola A 270, St. Ignatius 200 but probably a typo from 370-300 based on our seeming 12.7 &14.4 ppbs that round.
Probably; word has it that Dan-Don moderated that match, and his handwriting is comparable to Jimmy's. Jonah's fixing it.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Secretary of Bobcats wrote:I don't have my notebook on me, but I'm gonna assume that our Rd 4 game was not actually Loyola A 270, St. Ignatius 200 but probably a typo from 370-300 based on our seeming 12.7 &14.4 ppbs that round.
That's fixed in this version of the stats.

For completeness, lower division stats: prelims, playoffs, overall
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Wow, that 59/51/56 stat line is one of the most interesting I've seen in a long time.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Judy Sucks a Lemon for Breakfast wrote:Wow, that 59/51/56 stat line is one of the most interesting I've seen in a long time.
http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Westbrook_Method
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Inkana7 wrote:
Judy Sucks a Lemon for Breakfast wrote:Wow, that 59/51/56 stat line is one of the most interesting I've seen in a long time.
http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/Westbrook_Method
I figured that that was how he ended up with those stats in the first place.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

OK, I think stats are all shiny now. Let me know if you spot any errors.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

Just to clarify (we've had a few questions from teams): this event was not a qualifier for HSNCT. (Teams that played it are, however, encouraged to submit wildcard bids.)
HSNCT qualification rules wrote:If a tournament divides its field into varsity and junior varsity divisions (or similar divisions based on skill) that don't compete against each other, then only teams from the varsity division may qualify for the HSNCT
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred