Bouncebacks on bonuses

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
centralhs
Wakka

Bouncebacks on bonuses

Post by centralhs »

In Georgia, most tournaments run by high schools use bouncebacks on bonuses. I have not attended any tournaments outside of the southeast (other than the HSNCT) so I am wondering what the norm is in other parts of the country. Do high school run tournaments generally use bouncebacks on bonuses or not?
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Re: Bouncebacks on bonuses

Post by Kouign Amann »

In the DC area, it's pretty rare. Bouncebacks can be cool, but they're just such a big logistical hassle that it's probably not worth it for regular season events.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

In Illinois a majority of events have bouncebacks but a trend is starting with more tournaments without them. Unfortunately some of the biggest events in the state (Kickoffs, IHSA series) use the bounceback format.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

They're only a logistical hassle if you are in a circuit where they aren't commonly used and are thus drawing on a pool of moderators who are going to naturally be inclined to say the answer immediately after the first guess, thus ruining the rebound. In places where people have to rebound bonuses, moderators are of course able to remember not to ruin the rebounds at a much higher rate.

To address coach Hirsch's question, in Missouri the official state format (which, to be clear, is something I don't think anyone would call good quizbowl), requires rebounding bonuses. Because of that, the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance (we organize the local pyramidal circuit) takes a very neutral stance on rebounds. Many of our events use rebounds in order to bridge some of the gap between us and MSHSAA format while not compromising the legitimacy of our events. A large number of our events use non-rebounding bonuses as well.

The stance I've come to after running many events on both formats is that they are both perfectly valid ways to run the match that simply emphasize slightly different things. Non-rebounding bonuses put a greater emphasis on being a team that is skilled at getting tossups, which is obviously an incredibly important skill for quizbowl and I have no qualms with it being nigh impossible to win a quizbowl match without getting the most tossups. Rebounding bonuses, on the other hand, put a slightly greater emphasis on purely knowing things and gives a greater penalty to a team that is less well-rounded by letting the things they don't know get picked up by their opponent. Since the points scored on a rebound are done so by one team inherently demonstrating greater knowledge of a subject than their opponent, I similarly see nothing at all problematic about a game using those rules.

I personally enjoy the MOQBA solution to have neither format truly be standard. It keeps the tournaments interesting for players by preventing total monotony at each event, while allowing people the chance to prepare for both national formats. I would certainly recommend other places try both out, but I think if different circuits choose to go all rebounding or all non-rebounding, as long as the questions they are using are of high quality, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that sort of quizbowl regionalism.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

Edward Elric wrote:In Illinois a majority of events have bouncebacks but a trend is starting with more tournaments without them. Unfortunately some of the biggest events in the state (Kickoffs, IHSA series) use the bounceback format.
I suspect the reason it's "unfortunate" has more to do with the horrid corruption of bouncebacks that IHSA uses rather than bouncebacks themselves being inherently bad. If Illinois were to switch over to using the rebounding format that PACE uses (even MSHSAA is ahead of the IHSA curve there) I would think nobody on the circuit would have any real qualms with it.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Bouncebacks are second only to subapalooza as the root of all quizbowl evil.

Seriously though, I don't mind bouncebacks at tournaments such as PACE NSC where you have a large number of competitive teams. It's when you have bouncebacks with teams that mark time even if they don't have the slightest idea of the answer that raises my hackles.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
PennySalem
Lulu

Post by PennySalem »

What do you guys think about the new bounceback policy for NAQT?
Penny Salem
Novi High School
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

I suspect the reason it's "unfortunate" has more to do with the horrid corruption of bouncebacks that IHSA uses rather than bouncebacks themselves being inherently bad.
As someone not particularly familiar with the IHSA format, it would help me if you could elaborate on what "the horrid corruption of bouncebacks that IHSA uses" means. I am trying to judge how the IHSA rebounding format might be similar to or different from what is commonly done in Georgia.
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

centralhs wrote:
I suspect the reason it's "unfortunate" has more to do with the horrid corruption of bouncebacks that IHSA uses rather than bouncebacks themselves being inherently bad.
As someone not particularly familiar with the IHSA format, it would help me if you could elaborate on what "the horrid corruption of bouncebacks that IHSA uses" means. I am trying to judge how the IHSA rebounding format might be similar to or different from what is commonly done in Georgia.
The difference is that in the IHSA teams are read bonus parts 4 or 5 parts at a time, given 30 seconds to confer and then the other team is required to answer the remaining parts. What Charlie said is correct, it is a pain and I believe that many people would love to see it changed to PACE format.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09

IHSA does not use part-by-part rebounding. They and MSHSAA both at one point instead used a format where the bonuses are 20 points, with four parts worth 5 points, and where you read all the questions at once to the team that got the tossup, then if they don't answer all of the questions correctly the other team has to answer all of the questions on the rebound in one go. This is very poor in my view because 1) it gives the rebounding team an immense advantage in terms of how long they get to figure something out, and 2) it requires demonstrably poorer questions be written. I actually wrote one year for the IHSA series and the amount of verbal contorting you have to do to make it so that a bonus never includes one of the answers is not to be believed. It also makes it incredibly hard to make appropriate difficulty bonuses. For example, if you want to write a bonus where one answer is Madame Bovary and another is Flaubert, you would not be able to have one of them be the easy part because you would not be allowed to mention that Flaubert wrote Madame Bovary at any point in either question. I think that format is a huge mess in execution and a timesink for writers and IHSA needs to scrap it immediately. Like I said, it's so bad that even the MSHSAA abandoned it ages ago.

Edit- sort of beaten by Michael, but I feel like my post has enough elaboration to make it worth saying anyway.

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:I think that format is a huge mess in execution and a timesink for writers and IHSA needs to scrap it immediately.
From your mouth to God's ears.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I've found that keeping proper stats for tournaments with bouncebacks is significantly more work than without, especially when the stats people and/or scorekeepers involved aren't experienced.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

PennySalem wrote:What do you guys think about the new bounceback policy for NAQT?
NAQT has a bounceback policy?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl

They sure don't, according to the official rules I just read on naqt.com. I have no idea what Penny is referring to.

Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

PennySalem wrote:What do you guys think about the new bounceback policy for NAQT?
Please provide more details of what's "new" here. According to R., we have not changed our bounceback policy at all recently.

For the record: our policy is "we don't use bouncebacks at HSNCT, but local tournament hosts are free to do so at the request of teams in the region." I don't have any stats on this, but it is my impression that the vast majority of our hosts prefer not to use bouncebacks.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

jonah wrote:I've found that keeping proper stats for tournaments with bouncebacks is significantly more work than without, especially when the stats people and/or scorekeepers involved aren't experienced.
Truer words never spoken. If people don't believe me, I have stories to tell you.

I'm with Charlie on this one. Either is fine, one is not inherently superior.
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

We use bounceback bonuses in practice because it makes it more fun and keeps people alert, as well as facilitates learning. But its impact on actual scores on actual games basically makes the game a game of bonuses, making it more likely that the team with the higher PPB will be the winner, which it really shouldn't be. It makes the tossups less valuable as well. I wouldn't go so far to say it's evil, because it has its perks, especially in a practice or scrimmage situation, but it's not really good for actual games in my opinion.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
Please provide more details of what's "new" here. According to R., we have not changed our bounceback policy at all recently.

For the record: our policy is "we don't use bouncebacks at HSNCT, but local tournament hosts are free to do so at the request of teams in the region." I don't have any stats on this, but it is my impression that the vast majority of our hosts prefer not to use bouncebacks.
Is this also the policy for official NAQT State Championships, or do those events have to be run without bouncebacks?
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Important Bird Area

Good question. I just asked R. and will post an update when I get an official answer.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
PennySalem
Lulu

Post by PennySalem »

Wow, I'm such an idiot. I was confusing that with something completely different. Sorry.
Penny Salem
Novi High School
Charles Martel
Wakka

Post by Charles Martel »

Tournaments that decide to use bouncebacks with a packet make it harder to compare PPB results to other mirrors around the country.
Adam Kalinich
MIT 2012-
Illinois Math and Science Academy 2009-2012

No they don't.

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

whitesoxfan wrote:Tournaments that decide to use bouncebacks with a packet make it harder to compare PPB results to other mirrors around the country.
Not if the tournament is able to separate points per controlled bonus and points per rebound.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

whitesoxfan wrote:Tournaments that decide to use bouncebacks with a packet make it harder to compare PPB results to other mirrors around the country.
As a dude who's doing this (entirely too much!), if the teams track ppb & bouncebacks separately, it's not a problem at all.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:No they don't.
Well, you're partly right, in the sense that it's possible to track PPB at a tournament that uses bouncebacks (this is what we did for our mirror of Fall Novice this year). However, the difficulty of tracking PPB with bouncebacks means that many tournaments (in Georgia, at least) don't go to the trouble of keeping detailed stats if they use bouncebacks.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:
Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:No they don't.
Well, you're partly right, in the sense that it's possible to track PPB at a tournament that uses bouncebacks (this is what we did for our mirror of Fall Novice this year). However, the difficulty of tracking PPB with bouncebacks means that many tournaments (in Georgia, at least) don't go to the trouble of keeping detailed stats if they use bouncebacks.
If scorekeepers know what they're doing, and what is expected of them, then it's not hard. Then again, the first clause of the former sentence is asking too much 90% of the time.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Could some of the problem be that there is no clearly defined space on any widely-used scoresheet to indicate bouncebacks? Experienced scorekeepers will find it easy to record each team's bonus points in the appropriate place, but even then it's time-consuming for statkeepers to puzzle through which ones are bounceback points and which aren't. I made a scoresheet that tracks bonuses and bouncebacks separately for the old modified-PACE format, and I think one of Lily's scoresheets does something like that too.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Please post links to these. Thanks!
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

David Riley wrote:Please post links to these. Thanks!
I'm mistaken, Lily's sheet automatically tracks bouncebacks but does not have a separate column for entering them.

I went ahead and modified my old sheet which does have separate columns for bouncebacks (but doesn't do all the fancy things Lily's sheet does). It's designed for print, though the old PACE version also had basic adding capabilities for electronic use (that version is not currently uploaded since I have to change some formulas). I don't have a link anywhere, but attached to this post should be modified versions for new PACE format and NAQT/mACF with bouncebacks for download.
Attachments
New_PACE_ Scoresheet.xlsx
Scoresheet for new PACE format
(13.89 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
NAQT_wBB_Scoresheet.xlsx
Scoresheet for mACF/NAQT with powers and bouncebacks
(13.92 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

cvdwightw wrote:
David Riley wrote:Please post links to these. Thanks!
I'm mistaken, Lily's sheet automatically tracks bouncebacks but does not have a separate column for entering them.

I went ahead and modified my old sheet which does have separate columns for bouncebacks (but doesn't do all the fancy things Lily's sheet does). It's designed for print, though the old PACE version also had basic adding capabilities for electronic use (that version is not currently uploaded since I have to change some formulas). I don't have a link anywhere, but attached to this post should be modified versions for new PACE format and NAQT/mACF with bouncebacks for download.
Do you have a paper version of these? If not, I know WUAT does for our high school tournament, so I'll see if I can get that.
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Never mind, I decided to just post it.
Attachments
WUHSAC_12_Scoresheet.doc
(135 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Charles Hang

SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

I love bouncebacks because I believe quizbowl victories should be awarded to the teams that work the hardest--those with more knowledge.
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
Criticizing your philosophy and social science writing since 2010.
duPont Manual HS '12
UNC Chapel Hill '16 (VP of the Carlolina Academic Team)
[email protected]
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

But does it often happen that the rebounding team (outside of a competitive match or tournament) has more knowledge?
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Charbroil wrote:Do you have a paper version of these?
Presumably one can download them, change the name of [Tournament Name Here], and print them out. Also, I noticed that I have a totally unnecessary column, so I revised the NAQT w/Bouncebacks sheet (attached).
Charbroil wrote:If not, I know WUAT does for our high school tournament, so I'll see if I can get that.
See, the difference between my scoresheet and pretty much every other scoresheet that I've seen is that there are dedicated columns for bounceback points earned (BB) and bounceback points possible (BBP). As far as I know, every other widely-used scoresheet (including yours and Lily's) puts the former in the bonus column and makes the statkeeper compute the latter.
Attachments
NAQT_wBB_Scoresheet.xlsx
Revised NAQT/mACF with powers and bouncebacks scoresheet
(13.33 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Yeah, I'd say yours is better. Thanks for posting it!
Charles Hang

SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

David Riley wrote:But does it often happen that the rebounding team (outside of a competitive match or tournament) has more knowledge?
Yes -- plus bouncebacks can often offset bad question writing (tossups/hoses). Plus it's aggravating as [bad word] to watch somebody 0 a bonus when you would've 30d it.
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
Criticizing your philosophy and social science writing since 2010.
duPont Manual HS '12
UNC Chapel Hill '16 (VP of the Carlolina Academic Team)
[email protected]
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Haha, glad to see WUHSAC still has the same example Team Awesome vs. Team Awesomer scoresheet.

To make this a productive post, I have a spreadsheet in a similar vein to Dwight, except that mine is set-up that (if printing the scoresheet out), you just add things by columns. It (and its cousins for other rulesets) is posted here. It also calculates, so that if you're running a paperless tournament, it does the math for you.

And lastly to comment on the main point of the thread, bouncebacks are good for a wide variety of reasons (from keeping slaughtered teams paying attention to providing a counter for bad luck of the bonus draw) and bad for just as wide a variety of reasons (from providing an incentive to intentionally answer wrong to being easier to screw up and harder to fix when you do screw up).

What I would recommend, though, is that in practice, you consider using bouncebacks, even if your usual format doesn't include them. It gives more students a chance to contribute something and gives practice for PACE and other such formats that do have them. It probably also makes the coach less likely to make a mistake if/when bouncebacks are used in competition.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

SoLegit12 wrote:
David Riley wrote:But does it often happen that the rebounding team (outside of a competitive match or tournament) has more knowledge?
Yes -- plus bouncebacks can often offset bad question writing (tossups/hoses). Plus it's aggravating as [bad word] to watch somebody 0 a bonus when you would've 30d it.
If it's so aggravating you should have gotten the tossup. That's why it's called a BONUS, as in on top of what you just did. By the definition of bonus, you shouldn't get any points fro not getting a tossup.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Nalin, I like the way you think.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

nalin wrote:
SoLegit12 wrote:
If it's so aggravating you should have gotten the tossup. That's why it's called a BONUS, as in on top of what you just did. By the definition of bonus, you shouldn't get any points fro not getting a tossup.
That's not dogmatically true, and I'm really sick of people picking a side on bonus rebounding and digging their heels in, behaving as if this is the difference between good quizbowl and bad quizbowl. It's not, cut it out, I gave good reasons why you should be amenable to using either format above. Also, you are making up definitions of bonuses. There is no rule that says the "bonus" advantage a team gets isn't simply the chance to get a free shot at the questions first, rather than the only chance to answer the questions.

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I do use bouncebacks in practice; at tournaments, it depends on the field...I think with mostly competitive teams it makes for exciting games. Otherwise, it really gets frustrating when you have teams that refuse to admit they don't have an answer, but let time run out. It isn't THAT much time, but it does add up, especially if the TD has moderators who won't enforce the time rules. This is why I'm liking the current trend (at least, here) of "competitive" and "learning" divisions.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

There are still clear advantages to getting the tossup in a bounceback format. Not only do you get first crack at it, but, at least in the Illinois league that I played in, you control how much time there is to confer. Back in the day, if we got the bonus and our captain knew all of the answers immediately, we would buzz in after 1 second and effectively deny the other team the chance to confer, screwing them unless their captain happened to know it all.

I'm sure this tactic can be used defensively too, if you know you have no shot.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Yeah, a certain downstate team tried that strategy with us......once....
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Morraine Man wrote:There are still clear advantages to getting the tossup in a bounceback format. Not only do you get first crack at it, but, at least in the Illinois league that I played in, you control how much time there is to confer. Back in the day, if we got the bonus and our captain knew all of the answers immediately, we would buzz in after 1 second and effectively deny the other team the chance to confer, screwing them unless their captain happened to know it all.

I remember that tactic resulted in an irritating protest resolution at WUHSAC one time, where (to my memory) Team A got TU 20 "right" to take a 20-point lead and then nuked all three parts of a math-computation bonus by passing instantly; by our rules that meant Team B had to answer instantly, which they couldn't, so they lost. When team B protested the tossup, the teams were initially told that since both teams had missed all parts of the bonus, it didn't matter what order they played the bonus in, so that the 0-0 on the bonus would stand. When we discovered how it had actually happened, the decision was reversed, Team B got the replacement tossup (to tie the game), and more points on the bonus to win the game, but it was a pain in the [neck], since I think it happened right around lunchtime, so we had trouble tracking down the teams, etc.

I believe the timing rules on math-computation bonus bouncebacks was amended for the next WUHSAC as a result.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Mike Wong
Lulu

Post by Mike Wong »

SoLegit12 wrote:
Some would call this defense.
Mike Wong
Tulane University School of Medicine
A.B. Freeman School of Business at Tulane University

Benedictine University '15
IMSA '11
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

jonpin wrote:
Morraine Man wrote:There are still clear advantages to getting the tossup in a bounceback format. Not only do you get first crack at it, but, at least in the Illinois league that I played in, you control how much time there is to confer. Back in the day, if we got the bonus and our captain knew all of the answers immediately, we would buzz in after 1 second and effectively deny the other team the chance to confer, screwing them unless their captain happened to know it all.

I remember that tactic resulted in an irritating protest resolution at WUHSAC one time, where (to my memory) Team A got TU 20 "right" to take a 20-point lead and then nuked all three parts of a math-computation bonus by passing instantly; by our rules that meant Team B had to answer instantly, which they couldn't, so they lost. When team B protested the tossup, the teams were initially told that since both teams had missed all parts of the bonus, it didn't matter what order they played the bonus in, so that the 0-0 on the bonus would stand. When we discovered how it had actually happened, the decision was reversed, Team B got the replacement tossup (to tie the game), and more points on the bonus to win the game, but it was a pain in the [neck], since I think it happened right around lunchtime, so we had trouble tracking down the teams, etc.

I believe the timing rules on math-computation bonus bouncebacks was amended for the next WUHSAC as a result.
I disagree with this vehemently. This is similar to killing the clock in NAQT. Some call it gamesmanship, I call it strategy. The other team should have gotten the tossup.
Flutist Wren
Lulu

Post by Flutist Wren »

dtaylor4 wrote:
I disagree with this vehemently. This is similar to killing the clock in NAQT. Some call it gamesmanship, I call it strategy. The other team should have gotten the tossup.
It sounds to me like the protest was over something unrelated to the bonus-passing shenanigans.
Sam Haynes
Jefferson City High 2011
WUSTL 2015
Important Bird Area

dtaylor4 wrote:This is similar to killing the clock in NAQT. Some call it gamesmanship, I call it strategy. The other team should have gotten the tossup.
Note that killing the clock was a bad idea that punished knowledge, so we got rid of it.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
dtaylor4 wrote:This is similar to killing the clock in NAQT. Some call it gamesmanship, I call it strategy. The other team should have gotten the tossup.
Note that killing the clock was a bad idea that punished knowledge, so we got rid of it.
Ah, words!

I think "milking" would be better than "killing" in that statement. Using up the full time on bonuses, reducing the chance of a comeback.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

dtaylor4 wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:
Ah, words!

I think "milking" would be better than "killing" in that statement. Using up the full time on bonuses, reducing the chance of a comeback.
We were, notably, about 4 seconds from pulling this off against Auburn last year at HSNCT after milking the last bonus we got.

Anyway, my real contribution to this thread:

I personally have never attended a tournament using bouncebacks, but we used them in practice every single time when we try to play "real" games.

I'm generally against bouncebacks in actual tournaments, but i would probably be in favor of them on novice sets, NAQT A-sets, or just generally when fields (or divisions) have lots of mediocre and lower-skilled teams. I know that you need to teach younger players the importance of getting tossups (i.e. you don't get bonus questions if you don't get tossups)... but oftentimes i feel like the benefit of having a team sit there and hear bonus after bonus to another team where they actually know 10 points from each one (for example, on the GSAC set when tossups were hard but easy parts of bonuses were relatively accessible) isn't much of a benefit at all. It's just discouraging and frustrating for a young team.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org