Culver (IN) Jan. 29, 2011 Varsity and Frosh/Soph Tourneys

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
pblessman
Rikku

Culver (IN) Jan. 29, 2011 Varsity and Frosh/Soph Tourneys

Post by pblessman »

Culver Academies are proud to announce our 2011 High School Quizbowl Tournaments! The Seventh Annual Culver Academies Varsity Invitational and Sixth Annual Frosh/Soph Tournament will be held on January 29, 2011, and we hope your school will be able to send one or more teams to compete in our tournaments!

These tournaments, using NAQT IS-101A, will feature two or three separate divisions:

I. Varsity AA: Large Public and Private Schools
II. Varsity A: Small Public Schools (if there are enough Varsity teams to have a separate division for small schools... if not we will play off a small school champ HSNCT style)
III. Frosh/Soph

If there is a second Varsity division, Large Public and Private Schools will have the option of entering B or C teams in the Varsity A division as exhibition teams (i.e. they will be ineligible for the championship bracket). Tiny private schools might be allowed to play in the Small School Division at the Tournament Director's discretion.

Field size is limited to 32 Varsity and 16 Frosh/Soph teams for a total of 48 teams. Assuming we have 16 teams in a division, we will divide teams into two balanced eight team round robins, and then re-bracket for the afternoon in to a Championship and a Consolation bracket of eight teams each, with everybody playing four more games after lunch against the teams they have NOT faced in the morning, which would result in eleven games for all teams. After the Championship round robin is finished the top two teams would face off in a (potentially) advantaged final.

Each team will be guaranteed a minimum of eight games, with round robins being held in the morning and playoff round robins being held in the afternoon. The Registration Fee is $60 per team, with a discount of $10 available if you bring a buzzer system, a $10 discount/team if your school is more than 150 mi from Culver, and a $20 discount per team if your school is more than 300 miles from Culver.

To guarantee your spots, please post here or e-mail Phil Blessman at blessmp [at] culver [dot] org by January 15 2011, indicating your school's enrollment and the number of varsity and/or Frosh/Soph teams you would like to bring. We look forward to welcoming you to Culver Academies for our Quizbowl tournaments! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time!

P.S.: We have substantial housing available at the campus motel at a cost of $20 per two-person room. Lunch in our dining hall is pretty good, AYCE, and only $5 per person. Breakfast and dinner are also available to teams staying overnight at a cost of $4 and $6 per person respectively.

Field Update (as of 1/24):

Varsity:
Culver A
Culver B
DCC B (MI)
Kalamazoo Christian (MI)
Marion
North Miami
North White A
North White B
Novi A (MI)
Novi B (MI)
Novi C (MI)
Pioneer
Riley (South Bend)
St. Joe's (South Bend)
White Cloud (MI)
Winamac

Frosh/Soph:
Culver
DCC A (MI)
DCC B (MI)
Kalamazoo Christian (MI)
Marion
North White
Novi A (MI)
Novi B (MI)
Pioneer A
Pioneer B
Riley (South Bend)
St. Joe's
St. Viator (IL)
White Cloud (MI)
Last edited by pblessman on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Phil Blessman- Culver Academies Head Quizbowl Coach
pblessman
Rikku

Re: Culver (IN) Jan. 29, 2011 Varsity and Frosh/Soph Tourneys

Post by pblessman »

We're looking for experienced moderators for this tournament. Compensation is as follows:

$5 per match read
Motel room provided for Friday night
Breakfast and Lunch provided on Saturday

Please post here or email me to express interest.
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

Manual is interested with at least a varsity and fresh/soph team
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
Criticizing your philosophy and social science writing since 2010.
duPont Manual HS '12
UNC Chapel Hill '16 (VP of the Carlolina Academic Team)
[email protected]
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

Seems like a good time to remind people about our tournaments.
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

We'd like to use a different (more challenging) set for the top division... any non-NAQT suggestions?
Dresden_The_BIG_JERK
Tidus

Post by Dresden_The_BIG_JERK »

This is me expressing moderating interest.
BJ Houlding

Winnebago '04
Saint Joseph's College '08
IHSSBCA Certified Moderator
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

TIT or Penn Bowl?
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

Penn Bowl would be sweet
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
duPont Manual HS '12
[email protected]
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

SoLegit12 wrote:Penn Bowl would be sweet
Isn't this the same day as Governor's Cup District?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

Hilltopper22 wrote:
I care about Governor's Cup because?
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
duPont Manual HS '12
[email protected]
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

SoLegit12 wrote:
Hilltopper22 wrote:
I care about Governor's Cup because?
I was actually thinking more along the lines of the Manual team as a whole. I take it that you all are planning to divide your teams between this and GovCup?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

Nope if it is true that it's Gov Cup, I will try my best to come solo. Or let the fr0sh/soph go to the fr0sh tourney
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
duPont Manual HS '12
[email protected]
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

Penn Bowl sounds like an interesting option... couple questions:

1. Would out-of-state teams be interested in coming to Culver on 1/29 to play this set? The difficulty level would obviously be upped substantially, so we would need a decent sized group from the surrounding states to want to partake, otherwise this would be a hard to pull off... there are probably five teams in Indiana (if that many) who would want to play this set.

2. Who do I contact about Penn Bowl? I couldn't find a posting. Are there other Midwest mirrors planned?
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

It is my guess that most Illinois teams will be playing Huskie Bowl that day.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

pblessman wrote:Penn Bowl sounds like an interesting option... couple questions:

1. Would out-of-state teams be interested in coming to Culver on 1/29 to play this set? The difficulty level would obviously be upped substantially, so we would need a decent sized group from the surrounding states to want to partake, otherwise this would be a hard to pull off... there are probably five teams in Indiana (if that many) who would want to play this set.

2. Who do I contact about Penn Bowl? I couldn't find a posting. Are there other Midwest mirrors planned?
You could probably pull teams from Michigan, Ohio, and KY.

Penn's team can be reached at [email protected]. Nothing is up on Penn Bowl yet.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

pblessman wrote:We'd like to use a different (more challenging) set for the top division... any non-NAQT suggestions?
There are lots of well-written tournaments that use a difficulty that is both harder than A-sets that aren't going to be abject disasters for a high school field the way Penn Bowl would be. Prison Bowl, Maggie Walker's tournament, Torrey Pines all fit the bill as high school tournaments that will be more rigorous than an A-set. Given the many high school appropriate options out there, it seems to me that it would be an incredibly poor idea to run a tournament in Indiana, where pyramidal quizbowl is not incredibly popular on a date when Illinois teams won't be attending, on a regular difficulty college set where you can have bonuses like the following be par for the course:
5. Answer some questions that relate to the philosophy of mind, for 10 points each.
[10] In this John Searle thought experiment, a human receives slips of paper with writing in a certain language which he does not himself understand, and follows a set of guidelines in a book for writing responses.
Answer: Chinese Room or Chinese Box
[10] Searle argues that the fact that the human in the room doesn't actually understand Chinese invalidates this hypothesis that computers can actually understand languages and perform other tasks that require understanding.
Answer: Strong AI hypothesis
[10] This philosopher made the reply by natural selection, in which a zombie is created without causal properties. His other works include one that postulates the multiple drafts model of consciousness.
Answer: Daniel Dennett
Do people honestly think this is appropriate for a high school field?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Note that otherwise regular purveyor of terrible ideas for high school quizbowl me is similarly skeptical that Penn Bowl is the best idea for a high school tournament. A college novice tournament would probably be on the hard side, really, for the field you're likely to attract.
Andrew Watkins
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

Thanks for the input- I had a similar feeling... if we had the strongest teams from surrounding states attending (Manual, Dunbar, Northmont, DCC, Auburn, Stevenson, etc.), then a college level set might be interesting. However, with most IL teams probably at NIU and the KY teams at Governors' Cup, we are probably looking at just a couple of the top teams coming... Northmont and DCC are regular attenders at that tournament, so they'll probably be there, but it seems silly to up the difficulty level that far for a handful of teams. I'll check with the Jones's to see whether they're planning to attend and then see what kind of set they haven't played and would like to see at the tournament. Anybody else who reads this and is planning to attend can of course also give me input.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

If you're not going to Huskie Bowl, you better come here.
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

I'm cancelling all Manual teams, sorry Blessman
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
duPont Manual HS '12
[email protected]
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

No problem- you have a legit excuse! See you at Midwest!
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

The field is filling in nicely, with currently a total of 26 teams registered (see above for detailed field update)! We're still accepting registrations for both Varsity and Frosh/Soph, so please let me know if you'd like to add!
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Quick recap:

Varsity: Novi A beat DCC "B" in the second game of an advantaged final to win the title. Culver A was third.

SS: I'm pretty sure it was White Cloud and North Miami in the finals, and two games were played. The outcome eludes me.

Fr/So: DCC A won both finals games to claim the title over Novi A.
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

North Miami won over White Cloud in both games in the advantaged small school final. I don't have scores, but DCC B and Novi A played three games over the course of the day and all were nailbiters.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
PennySalem
Lulu

Post by PennySalem »

For the games between Novi A and DCC B, scores were 355-345 in the first game, 285-440 in the second, and 365-325 in the last.

I also really liked the trash removal
Last edited by PennySalem on Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Salem
Novi High School
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

The delay in stats is my fault. I forgot to save backup copies of the prelim files before setting up the carryover games in the finals.
Cosima
Kimahri

Post by Cosima »

PennySalem wrote:For the games between Novi A and DCC B, scores were 355-345 in the first game, 285-440 in the second, and 365-325 in the last.
Due to Novi's excellent performance, their loss of Emaline Maxfield appears to be negligible.
Congrats on another great tourney this year and to all the teams who performed so well! We appreciate all the hard work that goes into making this tournament so successful!
Cosima Petrovich
NHS
Vincent van Gogh only had one ear and people told him he would never be a great artist, and you know what he said to that? "I can't hear you." Van Gogh was a dreamer.
PennySalem
Lulu

Post by PennySalem »

Cosima wrote:
PennySalem wrote:For the games between Novi A and DCC B, scores were 355-345 in the first game, 285-440 in the second, and 365-325 in the last.
Due to Novi's excellent performance, their loss of Emaline Maxfield appears to be negligible.
Congrats on another great tourney this year and to all the teams who performed so well! We appreciate all the hard work that goes into making this tournament so successful!
Oh yes! Novi is SOOOO PROOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
/troll
Last edited by PennySalem on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Salem
Novi High School
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

After some hang-ups, the stats have been emailed out to the appropriate people.

Congrats to Novi and DCC for strong finishes, and for North Miami for taking the SS title.

Major props also go to Phil, who is among the most gracious tournament hosts out there.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Varsity stats: prelims playoffs overall
JV stats: prelims playoffs overall
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

Thanks, Donald for finishing/fixing the stats, and thanks to Jonah for posting them on the IHSSBCA site!