Baby Anteater XII (1/29/11) at UC Irvine

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cvdwightw
Auron

Baby Anteater XII (1/29/11) at UC Irvine

Post by cvdwightw »

The UCI College Bowl Club is pleased to announce Baby Anteater XII, our annual novice tournament.

When and Where: Saturday, January 29, at UCI's campus. We anticipate the tournament being in Humanities Hall but will notify teams of any changes in room assignments. We anticipate starting the tournament at 9:30 and ending the tournament by 4:30, though the exact times are (as always) likely to vary.

Format: We will be using NAQT IS-101A. We will be using official NAQT rules, except that all matches will consist of 20 tossups (untimed rounds). Because of the eligibility rules (see below), this is not intended as a nationals qualifier.

Eligibility: Schedule and enthusiasm permitting, we will run two separate preliminary divisions, followed by crossover playoffs to determine an overall winner. Teams must register for one of two divisions:
YOUNGER PLAYERS DIVISION: Teams composed entirely of freshmen and sophomores are placed in this division. There are no other eligibility requirements, though we request that high-scoring freshmen and sophomores evaluate whether this tournament is right for them.
OLDER PLAYERS DIVISION: Teams that contain juniors or seniors are placed in this division, provided that all players have less than two full years of experience playing pyramidal weekend quizbowl tournaments (first tournament in or after February 2009).
Participation in league play, such as Academic League or Kiwanis Bowl, does not count toward these two years. Coaches may request exemptions for players or entire teams who meet the spirit, but not the letter, of the rules. If granted, those teams will also be placed in this division.

Pricing Structure:
Base Fee: $80 for the first team, $70 for subsequent teams
Per-School Discounts:
-$5 for each working buzzer
-$5 for each full-time scorekeeper (this function can be fulfilled by a coach or rotating fifth player who keeps official score in all games involving his or her team)
-$15 for each approved full-time moderator (both coaches and older players are welcome to moderate)
-$5 per 100 miles traveled one-way (From your school to our school)
Minimum fee: $50 per team

New School Discount: Schools that have not attended a tournament at UCI in the past 3 years play for the minimum per-team fee.
Self-Sufficiency Discount: Schools that bring two teams, one working buzzer, and one approved moderator pay $90 total for those two teams.
As this is below the per-team minimum fee, no other discounts apply towards those two teams, but additional discounts may be counted for third and subsequent teams.

Payment should be brought to the tournament and can be in cash or by personal or organizational check. Checks should be made out to "College Bowl Club at UCI." If you cannot bring payment with you to the tournament, or wish to mail a check in advance, please contact the tournament director prior to the tournament. Failure to pay the day of the tournament, or make other arrangements prior to the tournament, may result in a late fee of $10.

The tournament director is Dwight Wynne ([email protected]). To register, e-mail the tournament director with your school's name, coach (or representative) name and e-mail address, the number of teams you would like to bring in each prelim division, and any applicable discounts you plan to take advantage of. We have capped the tournament
at 14 teams, but expect to have the room space to accommodate up to 24 teams, buzzers and moderators permitting.
Last edited by cvdwightw on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
fee6
Lulu

Re: Baby Anteater XII (1/29/11) at UC Irvine

Post by fee6 »

Can I tentatively sign up Diamond Bar HS, for one team?
Brandon
Diamond Bar HS
Flash Bomba
Lulu

Post by Flash Bomba »

Sign up one team for older division (with possibly a second in the same or the younger divison), one buzzer, plus three+ scorekeepers/moderators depending on what you need.

Edit: Added divisions
Thomas Hsu
University High School '11
Brown '15
cvdwightw
Auron

Re: Baby Anteater XII (1/22/11) at UC Irvine

Post by cvdwightw »

Please note the date change above: due to a variety of scheduling conflicts, we have moved this tournament to January 22. For the few teams who have actually registered, please re-send registration materials reflecting team attendance on the new date.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Balboa
Lulu

Re: DATE CHANGE: Baby Anteater XII (1/22/11) at UC Irvine

Post by Balboa »

Well, this date change has certainly not good for Arcadia quizbowl, as five members of the team including three novices will be competing at the Science Bowl regional on 1/22.

I also imagine that any high school quizbowlers who have already signed up for the 1/22 SAT exam might also be inconvenienced by this date change.

What was wrong with the 1/29 date?
Andrew Wang
Arcadia High School '12
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

GAH I give up. I knew both dates were bad, but I didn't take into account Science Bowl. Seriously, at this point, I'm back to "tell me which date you prefer, and I'll tell everyone what date the tournament will be based on responses I've received."
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

davud363000
Lulu

Post by davud363000 »

It would be better for RB if Baby Anteater could be on the 29th. We would be able to send at least one team on that date.
David Hu
Rancho Bernardo HS '12
Balboa
Lulu

Post by Balboa »

Arcadia very much prefers the 29th as well due to the aforementioned SAT test and science bowl.

We will be able to send 3-4 teams if it is on the 29th, and probably only 1-2 if it is on the 22nd.
Andrew Wang
Arcadia High School '12
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

The schools have spoken: we will be moving this tournament back to its original date of January 29. I look forward to registrations from schools that preferred this date.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Flash Bomba
Lulu

Post by Flash Bomba »

I can confirm two teams in the upper division with a possible third team in either division, and up to six moderator/scorekeepers depending on tournament needs.
Thomas Hsu
Brown '15
fee6
Lulu

Post by fee6 »

Sorry, Diamond Bar will have to pull out of this one.
Brandon
Diamond Bar HS
Erogo
Lulu

Post by Erogo »

Can we get a field update, please?
Carl T.
Arcadia High School 2012
Flash Bomba
Lulu

Post by Flash Bomba »

University will stay at two teams for this tournament. Sorry we couldn't bring any more.
Thomas Hsu
Brown '15
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Erogo wrote:Can we get a field update, please?
As of this [EDIT: 7:30 PM on Wednesday]:

Officially Registered
University x2 (upper division)
Tustin x2 (one in each division)
Edison x2 (one in each division)
Rancho Alamitos x1 (upper division)
Troy x1 (division unknown)
North Hollywood x3 (2 upper division, 1 lower division)
Irvine x1 (upper division)
Rancho Bernardo x3 (lower division)
Arcadia x3 (2 upper division, 1 lower division)
Carlsbad x2 (lower division)

Buzzer situation (need 1 per room + at least 1 extra):
Arcadia x2
Edison
North Hollywood
Rancho Alamitos
Rancho Bernardo x2
Tustin
University
(UCI)
Carlsbad x1+
Last edited by cvdwightw on Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Flash Bomba
Lulu

Post by Flash Bomba »

The Irvine High guys asked me to post to confirm that they have a team coming.
Thomas Hsu
Brown '15
lpeacock
Kimahri

Post by lpeacock »

Is there room for 2 freshman teams from Carlsbad High School in the tournament tomorrow? We can bring buzzers.

Lori Peacock 760.917.6011
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

lpeacock wrote:Is there room for 2 freshman teams from Carlsbad High School in the tournament tomorrow? We can bring buzzers.

Lori Peacock 760.917.6011
Yes, we can fit you in. The field is now officially closed at 20 teams.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Stats can be found here. They will be sporadically updated until the end of the tournament.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Final stats can be found here. Thanks to everyone who helped out, including Coach Schultz from Arcadia, Coach Cabrera from Edison, Coach Durand from Rancho Alamitos, Jennifer from UCLA, and the A team of University High School.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org