PERV with TIT at Maryland 1/22/11

Old college threads.
The Schopenhauer Power Hour
Lulu

PERV with TIT at Maryland 1/22/11

Post by The Schopenhauer Power Hour »

This is an announcement for PERV (Popular Entertainment Represented Visually,) a visual trash tournament in the style of Mike Bentley's two iterations of Eyes That Do Not See. PERV will be written by myself (Logan Anbinder) and Paul Marchsteiner, two head writers of this year's TERP trash tournament. This will run, appropriately, as a side event at the Maryland site of TIT on January 22nd, 2011; we are interested in having it mirrored elsewhere either as a TIT side event or attached to another tournament.

This tournament will consist of approximately 100 questions. Players should see one of Mike Bentley's aforementioned visual visual arts tournaments (e.g. here) for an example of what this tournament will roughly look like; the tournament will be designed to be played in a free-for-all format. We will attempt to represent in this tournament all types of questions that would be found in a normal trash packet (music, TV, movies, sports, comics, videogames, Internet, other,) but we anticipate certain distributions lending themselves more readily to representation in this kind of format, so the distribution may not be identical to that of a typical trash tournament.

There will be a $5 per person fee to participate.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Mirror Sites:

Northeast:
Midwest: Ohio State @ SCT on 2/5/10, contact Jacob Durst
Other Midwest: Minnesota on [sometime,] contact Mike Cheyne
Southeast:
Southwest: Texas on weekend of 1/22, contact Chris Romero
West Coast:
Canada:
Last edited by The Schopenhauer Power Hour on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Logan Anbinder
University of Maryland '12
Cheynem
Sin

Re: PERV with TIT at Maryland 1/22/11

Post by Cheynem »

Won't be at any TIT site, but this seems like a very cool idea that I would be delighted to play at some point.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

This will be after TIT, I assume?
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Lulu

Yup, this is running after TIT.

Also, Minnesota will be running this event at some point for those in that area.
Logan Anbinder
Lulu

PERV ran today at the TIT mainsite at Maryland, with David Seal pulling ahead of Isaac Hirsch to win by 35 points. Since there's a delayed mirror of this set running after the Ohio SCT, please refrain from discussing specific questions in the set. However, Paul and I would love to hear everyone's general comments. A few of mine:

I'm pretty happy with the set we produced-- I think it trended a little bit more towards the vanity than I would have preferred, but I still think we managed to represent a pretty big range of questions. We also tried to explore a lot of the opportunities to toss up things that are harder to do in a traditional tournament, and I think there's more space to explore.

I also wanted to thank Mike Bentley, who did all the groundwork for this kind of set in his two iterations of Eyes That Do Not See.

Again, we'd love to hear the general thoughts of anyone who's played the set. Stats from Maryland are below:

Irene: 25
Jordan: 105
Monica: 60
Dan: 150
Jeff: 45
Zach: 65
Chris: 140
Magin: 55
Ben: 45
Isaac: 170
David: 205
Logan Anbinder
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

This was an awful lot of fun - it's a shame it apparently took so much work to produce, because these things are always a blast and would make one hell of a party game.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

This was a lot of fun. Thanks for creating it.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

A job well done by Logan and Paul. I hope something of this nature is created again, because it was certainly some of the most fun I had all day.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

This was entertaining, although there were clearly some things that worked better in the format than others. Sports questions were almost uniformly poor, to be honest, with some downright lazy ones popping in. I would have either dropped sports if the authors weren't comfortable writing it or tried to be more creative (perhaps using more captions like "Coached by this man" or "Traded for this player") or something like that. More ballparks or franchise questions would also have helped.

Other than that, most of the questions were pretty good--music ones quite good, as were video games, movies, and for the most part TV. The movies were especially solid, I thought. TV was pretty good, although some shows have such a distinctive look, they are kind of hard to use and led to a lot of close-ups of faces or other trickeries. I wanted some more opening credit sequences.

Comic books were kind of a mixed bag. Sometimes it was REALLY difficult to determine what was being sought after (the one asking for a "superpower" was not a good idea at all when you have characters with many different superpowers).

On the whole, though, definitely a good time. I might try to put one of these together at some point reflecting my interests. You better be able to get I'm Dickens, He's Fenster from sight.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
TheHumanPaperweight
Lulu

Post by TheHumanPaperweight »

The Schopenhauer Power Hour wrote: Stats from Maryland are below:

Irene: 25
Jordan: 105
Monica: 60
Dan: 150
Jeff: 45
Zach: 65
Chris: 140
Magin: 55
Ben: 45
Isaac: 170
David: 205
Did my troll answer(s) disqualify me from this event, or did I end up at zero or a negative number and thus get dropped to spare my precious feelings?
--Steve Ours
GMU 2011 BS in Mathematics
Now wandering the mid-atlantic with little purpose
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

TheHumanPaperweight wrote:Did my troll answer(s) disqualify me from this event, or did I end up at zero or a negative number and thus get dropped to spare my precious feelings?
I think you ended up with 5 or 10 points.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
Lulu

The last PERV mirror was held yesterday, so everyone should feel free to discuss individual questions here.
Logan Anbinder
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

If you send it to me I'll post it on Wastebin.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

It seemed like everyone who played at the OSU SCT site had an awesome time with this. Specific things/issues/observations that I remember from my room off the top of my head:

-The dogfighting tossup was fairly comical/interesting, although I had no idea what was going on until Vick popped up.

- I forget what the answerline was (I think it was one looking for an actor/film), but the second slide of one tossup (it was one of the first 50) had a picture of what initially appearred to be Dan Ackroyd in a santa costume, which prompted a neg for Eddie Murphy/Trading Places. I'm curious if this occurred anywhere else, because it resulted in at least two negs at our site.

-The Men in Black slides all appeared to be pretty easy (I think it was answered correctly in the first slide of all 3 rooms at our site)

All in all, though, this was a pretty cool side event and everyone, at least from our team, had a great time. Thanks for putting it together guys!
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

The Eminem question caused people to wait until the end because the a slide that was still in power looked like him enough that people thought it had to be someone else.
Outside of that, I think that this was a good tournament, and I especially enjoyed the Jimenez Hall tossup even though someone else got it first.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Can you guys e-mail me the set so I can post it on Wastebin?
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

This tournament and VAIN are now on Wastebin.
Mike Bentley