CONFIRMED: MUT mirror at ASU-Tempe, 3/19/11

Old college threads.
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

CONFIRMED: MUT mirror at ASU-Tempe, 3/19/11

Post by Sun Devil Student »

To all quizbowlers south of the 42nd Parallel and west of the Rio Grande:

ASU Quizbowl is planning to host a delayed mirror of Univ. of Chicago's Sack of Antwerp tournament on one of three possible dates.

Would anyone like to attend this tournament and if so, what date(s) would you prefer: March 5, March 12, or March 19?

ASU votes for either 3/12 or 3/19 (because it's our spring break and more of us will be free to participate) but if more teams will turn out for 3/5, then we'll accomodate you, in the interest of growing this quizbowl region.

Edit: We are also considering hosting Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament, instead of or in addition to Antwerp. Speak up if interested in either!

Final edit: After considering the needs of the quizbowl world within our driving range and the only recent input we've received from anyone on these forums, we have decided to host Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament. An announcement will be forthcoming.
Last edited by Sun Devil Student on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:48 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: INTEREST CHECK: Sack of Antwerp Delayed Mirror 3/5,12,or 19?

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'd be interested in attending this tournament if it's more than just Arizona teams. I would imagine that 3/5 would work best for people since otherwise it would be finals or spring break.

Edit: In fact it looks like I can get to Phoenix for $119 round trip from Seattle if it's held on 3/5, so I'd go even if California teams don't come... but they should so as to make this tournament more entertaining. If you guys can confirm this date so I can buy tickets at this price that would be great. It would also be awesome if someone could house me on Thursday and Friday nights (unless I convince other UW people to come in which case we may opt for a hotel).

Edit 2: Further research reveals 3/19 works just as well for me. So whatever works best for California teams works for me.

Edit 3: Even more research reveals I'm a moron and was searching for flights from San Diego to Phoenix... prices are much less attractive from Seattle. I still may be convinced to go if they come down a bit and other California teams come, but my attendance is no longer guaranteed.
Last edited by Mike Bentley on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I believe that 3/19 works the best for UCSD, 3/5 the second best, and 3/12 is completely not feasible.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Thanks for the feedback.

It is highly likely now that ASU will host something on March 19. However, we have a new question for all our California comrades:

Would you be interested in a MUT mirror, instead of/in addition to a Sack of Antwerp mirror?

Depending on interest from U of A (which is impossible to ascertain until some of my team members go there for SCT and report back to me) it may be beneficial to host MUT in Region 13. I have unconfirmed intel from the Minnesotans indicating that Claremont was interested in MUT as well.

I also have, in this thread, apparent interest from UCSD in a Sack of Antwerp mirror. However, it's somewhat less likely that U of A would benefit from Antwerp as they would from MUT. If we can persuade the U of A team to come to ACF Regionals on 2/26, they would probably have more use for a second novice tournament, rather than second regular-level tournament.

So:
1) Any interest in a MUT mirror on 3/19? Or 3/12, or 3/5? (I know UCSD is excluded for 3/12; however I don't know about other schools)
2) Any interest in Sack of Antwerp on those days?
3) Anyone want us to host MUT *and* Antwerp on two of the above three days?

My team has concluded, after running Terrapin on themselves, that tournaments are much more fun with exogenous opponents to play against, and so we will likely only host when such opponents are available. I'll know for sure after SCT but I think there's a good chance U of A can be persuaded to be that opponent. So, would anyone like to help us welcome a new team to our circuit?
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Sun Devil Student wrote:1) Any interest in a MUT mirror on 3/19? Or 3/12, or 3/5? (I know UCSD is excluded for 3/12; however I don't know about other schools)
I believe the earliest date we're offering MUT is currently 3/12. Any weekend after that is cool, though!
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

Sun Devil Student wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

It is highly likely now that ASU will host something on March 19. However, we have a new question for all our California comrades:

Would you be interested in a MUT mirror, instead of/in addition to a Sack of Antwerp mirror?

Depending on interest from U of A (which is impossible to ascertain until some of my team members go there for SCT and report back to me) it may be beneficial to host MUT in Region 13. I have unconfirmed intel from the Minnesotans indicating that Claremont was interested in MUT as well.

I also have, in this thread, apparent interest from UCSD in a Sack of Antwerp mirror. However, it's somewhat less likely that U of A would benefit from Antwerp as they would from MUT. If we can persuade the U of A team to come to ACF Regionals on 2/26, they would probably have more use for a second novice tournament, rather than second regular-level tournament.

So:
1) Any interest in a MUT mirror on 3/19? Or 3/12, or 3/5? (I know UCSD is excluded for 3/12; however I don't know about other schools)
2) Any interest in Sack of Antwerp on those days?
3) Anyone want us to host MUT *and* Antwerp on two of the above three days?

My team has concluded, after running Terrapin on themselves, that tournaments are much more fun with exogenous opponents to play against, and so we will likely only host when such opponents are available. I'll know for sure after SCT but I think there's a good chance U of A can be persuaded to be that opponent. So, would anyone like to help us welcome a new team to our circuit?
We are interested in hosting MUT, but we would also enjoy playing it. Our spring break is from 3/12-3/21, so 3/19 would be the best day for either tournament as more people will be on campus by then.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
University of Washington '17
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Re: INTEREST CHECK: Antwerp or MUT Delayed Mirror 3/5,12,or 19?

Ok, it looks like the preferred date among all parties involved is March 19 and so you may expect whatever ASU hosts to be on that day.

Now the question of which tournament to mirror. An unscientific poll of my team taken at practice last week shows about even preference for either. UCSD has shown interest in Antwerp but I don't know if they would wish to attend MUT. Claremont has shown interest in MUT but I don't know if they're interested in Antwerp.

I believe that at this time the University of Arizona (or other Region 13 teams, if any exist) would benefit far more from MUT than Antwerp, and on that ground I am inclined to advocate a MUT mirror. However, if the number of teams that would attend Antwerp at ASU exceeds the number that would attend MUT, then we will cater to the demand of the circuit.

Claremont: How many teams would you bring? We'd love to have you visit in any case. :)
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Golran
Auron

Re: INTEREST CHECK: Antwerp or MUT Delayed Mirror on 3/19/11

Post by Golran »

I'm looking into coming as an individual on March 19th, either playing solo or being matched up as a free agent if ASU/editors/other teams are fine with having me do such. Which airport should I be flying into, or are other California area teams driving down there that I could just pitch in gas money if I can get down to your location?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
The Tourist
Lulu

Post by The Tourist »

If you do end up flying, you're going to want to fly into Phoenix Sky Harbor. There's a shuttle that takes you to the nearest light rail station, and if you take the light rail 3-4 miles east, you can get off at either of the stations that run directly through the university.
Ian McCloskey
Arizona State '13
Arizona '16
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Bump to let everyone know that we will be going with MUT on 3/19/11.
Alejandro wrote:We are interested in hosting MUT, but we would also enjoy playing it. Our spring break is from 3/12-3/21, so 3/19 would be the best day for either tournament as more people will be on campus by then.
Golran wrote:I'm looking into coming as an individual on March 19th, either playing solo or being matched up as a free agent if ASU/editors/other teams are fine with having me do such. Which airport should I be flying into, or are other California area teams driving down there that I could just pitch in gas money if I can get down to your location?
We'd love to have all of you over on the 19th. ASU will have plenty of free agents available, and we will try very hard to get U of A to attend.

Now if only we could get you all to come over to ACF Regionals too...
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

OK, I'll go through logistical stuff this weekend/early next week, I'll let you know if I have any troubles.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

One more bump to note that we have overnight couch and floor space available if money is a concern for teams. Brendan Guinn has offered 2 couches (but not for those who are allergic to cats), while Ian McCloskey and I can offer a total of 2 cat-allergen-free couches and about 8 people's worth of floor space.

Also, confirming that this will be a MUT mirror, on March 19.
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
cchiego
Yuna

Re: CONFIRMED: MUT mirror at ASU-Tempe, 3/19/11

Post by cchiego »

Look for some number of UCSD teams, ranging from 1+. We have some players who'd be interested in playing on doubles teams to make the tournament more competitive if you didn't charge us any extra.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Swank diet wrote:Look for some number of UCSD teams, ranging from 1+. We have some players who'd be interested in playing on doubles teams to make the tournament more competitive if you didn't charge us any extra.
We'll be glad to have you. We'd also love to see you at ACF Regionals too, though - you wouldn't have to worry about breaking up your team to be more competitive at that one! :)
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Can I claim one of the couches for friday night? I'm going to go ahead and purchase a plane ticket that lands at 9:05 in PHX on friday night, and then one that leaves at 8:30ish on Saturday night. Turns out PHX->LAX->JFK is less expensive than LAX->JFK when using the same LAX->JFK segment.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Golran wrote:Turns out PHX->LAX->JFK is less expensive than LAX->JFK when using the same LAX->JFK segment.
Nice.
You didn't try flying PHX->JFK though, if that's where you're going? (Is it for an interview? If so, good luck!)
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Nope, going home for spring break. I didn't see anything non-stop PHX to JFK, plus United's p.s. cross-country is pretty nice.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

We're thinking of coming to this if we can sort our budget out; if we do, we would have 1-2 teams.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Sorry for the semi-necro, but since ASU has decided to go with an MUT mirror, are you guys not planning to mirror Sack of Antwerp at all? If so, are there any other institutions planning to host it?
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

nadph wrote:Sorry for the semi-necro, but since ASU has decided to go with an MUT mirror, are you guys not planning to mirror Sack of Antwerp at all? If so, are there any other institutions planning to host it?
We currently have no plans for Sack of Antwerp. Had we been told earlier about teams wanting to attend Sack of Antwerp, that might have changed our evaluation, but the combination of UC-Irvine announcing an Illinois Open on one of our prospective hosting dates plus no one in California expressing a preference for Antwerp made us pick MUT instead.

The only open dates now are 3/12 and 3/26; every other weekend from now until ACF Nationals is occupied, from ASU's vantage point. However, I believe Ian McCloskey wanted to play Antwerp as well, so if you wanted to fly over and visit us sometime after ACF Nationals, we could probably put something together, possibly even after the semester ends (but before HSNCT/NSC). Send us an e-mail and we may be able to talk.

I myself would certainly be happy to play you on any tournament set, as I've never been privileged to meet any Bellarmine players before. (I heard you guys are a sister institution of our own Brophy College Preparatory. If you come over, I'll make sure to tell them, so you can meet them!)
-coach (2009-2011)
-founder (2007-)