Blue Hen Invitational @ University of Delaware, 3/26/11

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mastaloo
Wakka

Blue Hen Invitational @ University of Delaware, 3/26/11

Post by mastaloo »

The University of Delaware Academic Competition Club is pleased to announce Blue Hen Invitational XIII, which will take place on Saturday, March 26 at the UD campus in Newark, Delaware. We will be using NAQT IS set 104.

Fees:

First Team: $65
Second Team: $60
Subsequent Teams: $55
Buzzer System -$10/ each
Experienced Moderator: -$10/ each

Checks should be written out to Academic Competition Club (U of DE). Payment may be made the morning of the event, or mailed to Academic Competition Club, c/o Student Activities Office, 218 Trabant University Center, Newark, DE 19716.

Location and Timing:

The tournament will take place in Gore Hall and Sharp Lab, which are right next door to each other. A campus map can be found here, and you can type in the names of the buildings to see their actual location:

http://maps.rdms.udel.edu/map/index.php

Registration will begin at 8:15 in Sharp 130. The opening meeting will then begin at 9, and round 1 should begin at 9:30. We hope to finish the tournament by around 5:30.

For those who are driving, your best parking option is probably the Trabant University Center garage, which can also be found on the map. From there, it's only a short walk to Gore and Sharp, and it shouldn't cost more than $5 for the day.

For lunch, teams may go to the food court at the nearby Trabant Student Center, or other Newark establishments along Main Street.

To register, send an email to [email protected] listing the school name, the number of teams, and buzzers you will be bringing. Hope to see you there!

Field (max 32 teams): (# of teams/moderators/buzzers)
Caesar Rodney - 2/1/1
Wilmington Charter - 5/0/5
GDS - 1/0/0
Caravel Academy - 1/0/0
St. Joe's - 3/1/2
Perry Hall - 1/1/1
C. Milton Wright - 2/1/1
Concord - 1/0/0
Howard - 2/0/1
Archmere - 1/0/0
Wissahickon - 1/0/0
Last edited by mastaloo on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: Blue Hen Invitational @ University of Delaware, 3/26/11

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

CR will bring a truckload of kids to this (okay, i guess a busload). Let's say... 5 teams? I dunno, i'll have to figure that out in time.

Anyway, about the question set.

Avoid A-sets. I see no reason for Blue Hen to use one as i believe it never has in the past.

IS-96 was used at UMCP, and IS-100 was used at Charter so far this year in the region (that i know of). Chatham NJ is running a tournament in mid-May on IS-102 if NAQT.com is to be believed, so you may want to be nice and avoid that as well if possible, however Bloomfield NJ is using IS-104 on March 5th. IS-105 is reserved for state championships i believe (which apparently Delaware will not have for the first time in nearly a decade).

So you have some decisions to make. 102 or 104 are your best bets, and just look at previous Blue Hens to see what teams (if any) from that area of New Jersey may be affected.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:just look at previous Blue Hens to see what teams (if any) from that area of New Jersey may be affected.
Judging from last year's tournament, the only school that could be affected and is usually interested in attending is Hills West.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

Yeah we'll be there. Probably 6-8 teams depending if I can get everybody to come. I think the best bet would probably be IS-104
Joe
Delaware
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

We're probably going to use an NAQT IS set, but I'm not in charge of securing a packet so I can't tell you for sure.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Field update has been added to the original post. Just remember to specify how many buzzers and moderators you will be bringing.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

We may make the trek up from Virginia for this... I need to check on everyone's schedule.
Michael P. Campana
Coach/sponsor, Quiz Bowl Club
Mark Twain Middle School
Alexandria, VA
Auron

Well, certainly we'll have our buzzers and myself to read. I can't confirm anything on the teams cause most of the kids probably already forgot what say this was that i told them.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Based on comments above it seems you will be using either IS 104 or IS 102.

If you could use 104 you might pull more teams from the NJ/NJ area. The reason is this---Chatham is using IS 102 in May, and Chatham usually draws a field of over 40 or more, including virtually all of the NJ/NY teams registered for Prison Bowl on March 5th. I mention March 5th because Bloomfield is using 104 on the same day, so all those at Prison Bowl will not hear 104 and there are at least probably 7 or 8 teams from the the 4 local schools at the Prison Bowl site that could travel to hear 104 since they will not have heard it at Bloomfield. And my guess is that all or almost all at Bloomfield that have not heard 102 will be more likely to attend Chatham in May than to travel to Delaware in March, but this is a speculation on my part, naturally.

What I do know for sure is that my school would come on March 26 with 2-3 teams if you used Set 104; we would be less likely to come if you used 102 because we traditionally support the Chatham tournament..

But perhaps all of this is out of your hands.

Whatever happens with the set, good luck with your tournament. And feel free to list us as at least interested, with 2-3 teams.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I can't be quite as confident that you'll get a large contingent of NJ teams as Ed. March 26 is the day Livingston's March Madness tournament occurs (on set 100). St Joseph has already heard 100, so they would of course not be at Livingston, same with Kellenberg, but I imagine the rest of the local circuit would be more likely to stay up here. Best wishes in running the tournament, though.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Jon is correct about the Livingston tournament on March 26, which I had not thought of, so my guess is that my earlier thoughts do not have much weight with respect to either Set. So, do what is best for your tournament and, naturally, good luck with it.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
mpellegrini
Lulu

Post by mpellegrini »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote: IS-105 is reserved for state championships i believe (which apparently Delaware will not have for the first time in nearly a decade).
We're considering hosting this in April, if there is sufficient interest from local teams (April seems to be a conflict-prone month for quiz bowl) and if everything comes together on our end vis-a-vis building reservations and moderator availability.
Mark Pellegrini
University of Delaware (2001-Present)
Charter School of Wilmington (1997-2001)
Auron

mpellegrini wrote:
Carangoides ciliarius wrote: IS-105 is reserved for state championships i believe (which apparently Delaware will not have for the first time in nearly a decade).
We're considering hosting this in April, if there is sufficient interest from local teams (April seems to be a conflict-prone month for quiz bowl) and if everything comes together on our end vis-a-vis building reservations and moderator availability.
Joe Brosch from Charter told me that Mt. Pleasant wants to do this March 19th. Please talk to him.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

It has now been confirmed that we're using IS-104.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Since you will be using Set 104, put Saint Joe's down for 3 teams, 2 buzzers and one moderator.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

In terms of actual location, the tournament will be taking place in Gore Hall and Sharp Lab, which are right next door to each other.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Location and timing information has been added to the original post.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

Robbie Ram wrote:We may make the trek up from Virginia for this... I need to check on everyone's schedule.
It looks like we are conflict-laden on that weekend and won't make it to the tournament after all. Oh well... maybe next year.
Michael P. Campana
Coach/sponsor, Quiz Bowl Club
Mark Twain Middle School
Alexandria, VA
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

This tournament's happening soon, so those who still want to attend should get their registrations in.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Auron

It stinks but we're way more likely to have 3 teams now.

It's just the wrong time of year for tournaments with the beginning of Spring sports, at least for "athletics before academics" high schools like ours.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Alex,

Will you be selling copies of the full set at a reasonable price after the tournament is over?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

I imagine we will, I don't see why not.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Count us in-- 1, 1, and 1. E-mail to come momentarily.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Auron

Regrettably, due to an incredible set of circumstances that involves two four-year senior players quitting in the last month (one without telling me) , a junior getting a job which starts this Saturday, and a ludicrous amount of my students involved in sports... we now have only enough for 2 teams for this event.

Sorry for the repeated announcement of team changes, but i guess we will be stuck with 2 now.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

We have a little more than 10 spots still open, so if anyone is still interested in attending make sure to get your reservations in soon.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Auron

This tournament happened.

As we left, Charter A and St. Joseph's A were playing in a one-game winner-take-all final.

Georgetown Day School (Daniel playing solo) got third place. The other top playoff bracket teams were Charter B, Charter C, CR A, St. Joseph's B, and Wissahickon. I really don't know the order of any of them since they all sort of beat up on each other all afternoon.

That's really all i know about the final results. Hopefully stats will be up soon. They certainly were kept accurately.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

I'm sorry I don't have stats, but just to clarify the final results, St. Joe's beat Charter A in the final. Thanks to everyone for coming out today and we hope that everyone had a good time.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Hopefully stats will be up soon.
I can help with that.

http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Will the stats for the Blue Hen be reported to NAQT, or has this already been done and NAQT has simply not posted them yet? Curious here in Jersey.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

I have not seen these arrive in my inbox. Alex, Bill, if you haven't already, please email a copy of the SQBS file to results [at] naqt.com.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

The stats have been sent off.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14