ACF Regionals 2011 at RIT (2/26/11)

Old college threads.
MicroEStudent
Rikku

ACF Regionals 2011 at RIT (2/26/11)

Post by MicroEStudent »

This is the announcement for ACF Regionals 2011 being held at RIT on Saturday February 26th. I, Nate Kane, am the tournament director. This will be held in Building 9 (James E. Gleason Hall) with the morning meeting being in Room 2159. We have 11 rooms reserved in the same building. For map purposes, use 1 Lomb Memorial Drive. I will put a better map up soon. NOTE: There is a JAMES Gleason Hall and a KATE Gleason Hall on campus. They are at least 0.5 mile away from each other.

We hope to start at 9 AM, however, I know that there are teams that are about 3.5 hours away or so. If we were to start at 9:30 to allow those teams to not have to stay overnight, we could be amenable to that. In the past, RIT has been able to go from Rochester to Hamilton, ON in about 2 hours 45 minutes on a Saturday morning. If a team wants to stay overnight, there are many hotels in different price ranges within a 10 minute drive of campus.

Please the general announcement thread for packet deadlines and the ACF website about feeshttp://www.acf-quizbowl.com/documents/p ... b.php#fees

Note: Canadian teams can expect to pay approximately $4 in tolls on the way to RIT and $7 on the way back, if entering the US from the Queenston/Lewiston bridge.

If there are any questions, please e-mail me at [email protected].

Hope to see you at Brick City in February!
Last edited by MicroEStudent on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Re: ACF Regionals 2011 at RIT (2/26/11)

Post by MicroEStudent »

This post is reserved for a Field List

Confirmed:
Cornell (1) buzzer + laptop
RIT House (1-2)
Buffalo (2) 2 staff

Maybe:
Last edited by MicroEStudent on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nathaniel Kane
#1 Mercury Adept
Wakka

Post by #1 Mercury Adept »

Cornell wants to bring a team.
M(ir)ia(m) Nussbaum
Former player for Ithaca High School, Cornell, MIT
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Field list updated.
Nathaniel Kane
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Field updated again. It would be nice to hear from more teams!
Nathaniel Kane
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I'm assuming there's going to be a northeast site-if not, we might look into attending.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Ondes Martenot wrote:I'm assuming there's going to be a northeast site-if not, we might look into attending.
That's fine with us. We have 11 available classrooms, so there's plenty of room.
Nathaniel Kane
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

From the e-mail sent out to teams:
Hi everyone,

This is a message regarding logistics for ACF Regionals at RIT. Please plan on arriving around 8:45 AM so that we can start as close to 9:00 AM as possible. We don't need to have the late start as it appears we are not going to see any Canadian teams.

Right now, we will either have 4 or 5 teams depending on how many people from RIT are available. If it is 4 teams, a quadruple round robin will be played (12 games), plus finals if necessary. If it is 5 teams, a double round robin will be played (10 games, with 2 byes per team), then the lower ranking RIT team will be dropped and a final round robin (3 games) will be played, plus finals if necessary.

RIT is nominally located at 1 Lomb Memorial Drive, Rochester, NY 14623, which is very close to Thruway Exit 46. We will be in JAMES Gleason Hall, also known as Building 9. Note that there is a KATE Gleason Hall as well. Parking is free and plentiful, and since this is a Saturday, you MAY park in reserved parking, without needing to show a pass or anything like that. I recommend parking in J-Lot as seen on this map: http://facilities.rit.edu/campus/maps/g ... 8.5X11.pdf . Enter GLE as marked on the map (there should be a sign there). Note: you are entering the second floor when using this entrance. We will be meeting in Room 2159. Follow the in building signage to reach it.

Lunch: There is one open dining facility on campus. It's about a 3-5 minute walk from Building 9. It's an a la carte location with a grill, subs and a couple other things. It is a bit expensive compared to normal fast food places. This location will also be open prior to the start of the tournament. Also, there's the standard fast food fare nearby on Jefferson Road, but it gets quite busy during lunch.

My contact number is ###-###-#### in case you need to contact me. I will be available starting at 6:30 on Saturday morning.

See you at Brick City this Saturday!

Nate Kane
RIT Quiz Bowl President
Nathaniel Kane
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Quick update. Cornell swept the field to win this site. Buffalo A, RIT and Buffalo B finished second through fourth respectively. Status will be up sometime tomorrow.

Thanks for coming!
Nathaniel Kane
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Stats:

http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

Round Report to be fixed. Packets used in order:

State College and Yale C
Michigan A and Brown
RPI A and Minnesota
South Carolina A and Ohio State A
VCU
Maryland A and Boise State
Northwestern
Berkeley and Miami C
Nathaniel Kane