NHB Regional @ St. Anselm's Abbey School - 4/4/2011

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

NHB Regional @ St. Anselm's Abbey School - 4/4/2011

Post by Kouign Amann »

This is the announcement for the "DC Area" state tournament of the National History Bee and Bowl, to take place at St. Anselm's Abbey School on Monday, April 4, 2011. Because there are basically no tenable weekends left before the national finals, we must conduct this tournament on a weekday afternoon, after school. More information about this arrangement can be found below.

We will be running the entirety of the Bee and as much of the Bowl as possible.

Very few details about this event are set in stone. Due to its highly unusual nature, we would like to leave several factors for interested attendees to decide.

1. How many rounds of the Bowl would you like to see played? We want to give people the most quizbowl-like-substance for their money, but we also don't want to force anyone into some sort of Michigan Park Death March long into the night. A sample schedule can be found here: http://www.historybowl.com/regionalsite ... n-dc-area/, but we are certainly willing to revise it to include more or less Bowl as people see fit.

2. Would you rather have this event on a Monday or a Friday afternoon? Monday would probably work better for us and for Dave Madden, but we are open to hosting this on a Friday if there is sufficient interest. I see it like this: on a Monday, people have to worry about homework and school the next day, whereas on a Friday, there is sure to be a tournament the next day, and people might like more than 12 hours between their quizbowl events. Again, it's up to you guys. Which would you rather attend: a Monday event or a Friday event?

3. Do you have any other input for us regarding this tournament? We would like to be as accommodating as possible, given that this is a (relatively) untested event running on a (relatively) untested schedule.

Please leave feedback either in this thread, and we can discuss our options. While we acknowledge that it may be difficult for many teams to attend, we would love to see most of the usual DC-area quizbowl suspects at this event.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Re: NHB Regional @ St. Anselm's Abbey School - 4/4/2011

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

I love that this is being hosted locally. Personally I'm for a Friday, simply because the workload that my teammates (and occasionally I) receive can be ridiculous at time and going on a school night is unfeasible if members of the team have a disgusting amount of homework that night (which is common in the IB program).
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
salmon of wisdom
Lulu

Post by salmon of wisdom »

Whitman seconds RM's request.
Todd
Walt Whitman '12
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Ok, so that would leave us with 3/25, 4/1, or 4/8. Of those, 4/1 works far and away best for me, but how about for interested schools? Please chime in, as we need to get this settled within the next week or so.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
salmon of wisdom
Lulu

3/25 sound better since it is a Friday.
Todd
Walt Whitman '12
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

All those dates are Fridays. I'd really prefer not to do 3/25 if at all possible, as I need to be in Boston by 7am the next day (and I'll be driving). So that would mean that we'd probably have to finish up by about 8pm or so. If we did one of the other two dates, we could play all 8 Bowl rounds if teams wanted. I'll do 3/25 if we have to, but despite the tournaments in the DC area on 4/2 and 4/9, I'd still prefer either 4/1 or 4/8. Though 3/25 would allow interested teams more time to prepare for Nationals on 4/16-17. Any other thoughts?
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
salmon of wisdom
Lulu

I think any of those Friday dates would be better for the simple reason of no school the next day.
Todd
Walt Whitman '12
JamesIV
Lulu

Post by JamesIV »

April 8th would be the best date for B-CC. Also, I think it's worth noting that, for the seniors who would want to attend, April 1st is when a lot of colleges release their admissions decisions, so a lot of people are going to want to be home, checking their computers/email.
Spencer J. Weinreich
Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, Class of 2011
Yale University, Class of 2015
University of Oxford, Class of 2017
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

This tournament is going to stick with the date of 4/4. Aidan and I looked into all possible Friday evenings, but all conflict with either Spring Break or other conflicts. While we know that students are often busy with homework midweek, we hope that seniors will have their priorities in order at a minimum and be eager to come for their one and only chance to compete in the National History Bee and Bowl. Also, while perhaps not the norm in greater Washington, after school/evening quiz bowl is quite common elsewhere in the USA, and we hope that students can fit in a new and exciting tournament into their busy schedules. Full information on this tournament will be posted shortly.
David Madden
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

People should totally register for this.

Hey second semester seniors, at least you'll have an excuse for not doing your homework!
Aidan Mehigan
JamesIV
Lulu

Post by JamesIV »

I regret that B-CC is, barring a miracle, not going to be able to make it... I hope it goes smashingly, though.
Spencer J. Weinreich
Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School, Class of 2011
Yale University, Class of 2015
University of Oxford, Class of 2017
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Bumping this to show current list of registered teams as of 3/21. See official tournament website here: http://www.historybowl.com/regionalsite ... n-dc-area/
David Madden
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

So if a team is just doing the Bowl and not the Bee, do they still need to be there at 3:20?
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

No, you can come later. But the Bee will go quick, as we're just doing 2 prelim rounds. And it's included in the price for all students on teams in the Bowl. Full disclosure: there will also be an alternate qualifier for the Nationals Bee. This will be done on 4/15 at 10pm at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza and will be used to fill up the Bee draw. It will consist of a 100 question multiple choice online quiz and be only open to those who didn't compete at the state level. More info on that and all the other Friday events at NHBB Nationals will be online by tomorrow evening (i.e. Wed.).
David Madden
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

So St. Anselm's won the bowl, with Whitman taking second, followed by Richard Montgomery and Marshall. Yours truly won the bee, with St. Anselm's's (I definitely did that wrong. how the heck do you do that?) Jacob Wasserman coming in second. RM's Sam Deutsch won the JV division.
All in all this was really fun and I really enjoyed all of the games, both bee and bowl. The bee final was, save for Jeopardy, the most exciting academic competition I've ever been in. The questions, on the whole, were pretty good and I was a fan of NHBB's loose interpretation of history. All in all this was pretty cool.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Thanks to everyone who came, and congratulations to Raynell, Sam, and St. Anselm's. I was very happy that we were able to put this together, and I'd like to thank everyone who helped make this tournament possible, especially Aidan at St. Anselm's for his vote of confidence in the NHBB for agreeing to have St. Anselm's host. Whitman, RM, St. Anselm's, and GDS who were all here are all going to be playing at Nationals in a week and half. Along with about 96 other teams when all is said and done. So... back to planning for that.
David Madden
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:No, you can come later. But the Bee will go quick, as we're just doing 2 prelim rounds. And it's included in the price for all students on teams in the Bowl. Full disclosure: there will also be] an alternate qualifier for the Nationals Bee.
Was there a reason it cost $10 per player at Ohio State individually for the Bee?
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

CavsFan2k10 wrote:
nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:No, you can come later. But the Bee will go quick, as we're just doing 2 prelim rounds. And it's included in the price for all students on teams in the Bowl. Full disclosure: there will also be] an alternate qualifier for the Nationals Bee.
Was there a reason it cost $10 per player at Ohio State individually for the Bee?
I believe NHBB policy is to include the Bee cost with the Bowl for weekday tournaments, due to the abbreviated schedule for both.
Aidan Mehigan
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:
CavsFan2k10 wrote:
I believe NHBB policy is to include the Bee cost with the Bowl for weekday tournaments, due to the abbreviated schedule for both.
As someone who ran both, this is true.