ACF Regionals at W&M 2/27/2011

Old college threads.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

ACF Regionals at W&M 2/27/2011

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

The William & Mary Quizbowl club will be hosting ACF Regionals on Sunday, February 27, 2011. Dan Leifer will likely be the tournament director for this.

This tournament will take place in Morton Hall (registration room TBA soon). There's a parking lot right next to that building. The tournament will probably start at 9:30 AM, with registration beginning at 9. See here for all necessary maps: http://www.wm.edu/about/visiting/directions/index.php

Packet Submission
Detailed packet submission information can be found in the main ACF Regionals thread. It is your responsibility to make sure you meet eligibility and packet submission requirements. Please see the following links for rules for packet writing and formatting guidelines.

Fees
Base fee: $120
Buzzer systems: -$5 each
Staffers: -$10 each
Laptop: -$5 each (max 1/team)
Travel: -$10 for every 200 mi. travelled
New to ACF teams: -$25
New to Quizbowl teams: -$75
Packet fees/discounts: see the main ACF Regionals thread.

Registration
To register, please send an e-mail to our President, Dan Leifer, at daleiferATemailDOTwmDOTedu, or just post here. Please include:

The number of teams you will be bringing

The total number of players on said teams

The number of buzzers, laptops, and staff you will be bringing

When you turned or will turn your packet in, if known yet.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me or Dan. We'll add information as it comes along, including field updates. Standard ACF eligibility rules apply.

Field:
George Mason
Maryland x 2
VCU x 2 (both UG)
Georgetown (non-UG)
GWU (UG)
UVA (DII)
W&M 0-2 as appropriate to the competition format

EDIT: Originally I said "I will likely be tournament director" while also listing Dan as TD, my attention span is amazing :roll:
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Re: ACF Regionals at W&M 2/27/2011

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Oh man. Too bad it's on Sunday. South Carolina would like to come, but that might make it impossible.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Maryland will tentatively register two teams, two buzzers, and a laptop if need be. I'm sending in our packet in a few days (before the approaching deadline).
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

I'm very glad to see that this worked out, and can hardly imagine a reason I (and a large VCU contingent) would not be here for this.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

George Mason would like to register one team and one buzzer.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Ethnic history of the Vilnius region wrote:Oh man. Too bad it's on Sunday. South Carolina would like to come, but that might make it impossible.
Yeah unfortunately VHSL States at W&M on Saturday make this more difficult to run on the 26th :sad:

Hope you can somehow make it though!

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Sure; VHSL is a definitely a good reason to host it on Sunday, if I do say so myself. Hopefully I can find a way to bring our team up there. We'll figure it out.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Georgetown will send a team, provided we can get either Maryland or GMU to drive us there.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

I seriously doubt VT will be sending a team, but I will likely be willing to lend my moderating abilities to this event.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Nsidduri
Kimahri

Post by Nsidduri »

GWU will be tentatively bringing 1 or maybe 2 teams to this tournament (depending on how many people can commit to going).

I will scramble to finish a packet by the 2/13 deadline.
Nishanth Sidduri
GWU '11
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I think we (Daniel and I) are gonna come and staff this.
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

So are rooms locked down for this tournament? Any field updates? More importantly, will copies of Resurrection be made available to new teams?
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Auron

I see that no start time has been decided for this yet. Would W&M be open to starting the tournament a bit later than usual? Georgetown needs to convince another team to drive us to the tournament, and it would be easier if we could use the metro to get to whoever we're hitchhiking with.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Oh my bad rooms have actually been locked down for a while I just forgot to edit in that part (and yes we will indeed be in Morton). Room-wise we actually could handle 19 teams, so any late comers are welcome :cool: . I personally would definitely be open to a later registration time like 9-9:30, but I haven't met with anyone from the club in a few weeks (mainly because I usually work right when practice happens), but I'll see them soon and nail down a time.

Oh man I'm way past resurrection at this point, y'all need to keep up: http://www.archive.org/details/MothmanC ... dedEdition and yes a copy of this will be a neg prize! Edit: First three tracks kind of suck on this. Even this stuff is mad old at this point but I've done about 3 tracks on a new project, making my own beats now, bism'Allah for Garage Band!

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Oh one other thing, since we'll get some trophies soon, registered teams please tell us (here or via email to Dan) what your eligibility is. To prevent clutter in this thread I'll assume by default your team(s) are UG but not DII since the majority are usually in that category; also feel free to just edit your previous posts.

Also props to all the freelance staffers coming to this, we really appreciate your time so much!

So if the field holds about what it is now then we're looking at 9 teams including one house team, which would be awesome because then we can do round robin plus playoffs of two four team brackets. The house team would of course drop out of that segment to make things even, assuming they're not in the top two or three (but we'll set the lineup so that probably won't happen). Not that we wouldn't of course be thrilled by more late registrations :wink: (South Carolina, UVA, anyone in North Carolina, etc...)

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Zip Zap Rap Pants wrote:Oh one other thing, since we'll get some trophies soon, registered teams please tell us (here or via email to Dan) what your eligibility is. To prevent clutter in this thread I'll assume by default your team(s) are UG but not DII since the majority are usually in that category; also feel free to just edit your previous posts.

Also props to all the freelance staffers coming to this, we really appreciate your time so much!

So if the field holds about what it is now then we're looking at 9 teams including one house team, which would be awesome because then we can do round robin plus playoffs of two four team brackets. The house team would of course drop out of that segment to make things even, assuming they're not in the top two or three (but we'll set the lineup so that probably won't happen). Not that we wouldn't of course be thrilled by more late registrations :wink: (South Carolina, UVA, anyone in North Carolina, etc...)
The plan is for me to play solo at this, so you should have our registration soon.

EDIT: and I'm DII, obviously.
Last edited by The King's Flight to the Scots on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Zip Zap Rap Pants wrote: The house team would of course drop out of that segment to make things even, assuming they're not in the top two or three (but we'll set the lineup so that probably won't happen).
as understandable as desire to win a tournament is, I would hope you wouldn't force double byes on us.

PS both VCU teams are UG.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Auron

If somebody can give me contact info for the GWU team, I would appreciate it. (I tried PMing the GWU member who posted in this thread and it didn't work)

Georgetown's ability to attend this tournament is in great peril; Maryland can't drive us because we can't get to College Park in time due to the Metro not running until 7 AM.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Morraine Man wrote:If somebody can give me contact info for the GWU team, I would appreciate it. (I tried PMing the GWU member who posted in this thread and it didn't work)

Georgetown's ability to attend this tournament is in great peril; Maryland can't drive us because we can't get to College Park in time due to the Metro not running until 7 AM.
Could you go to UMD the night before and sleep on someone's couch?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Auron

Bentley Like Beckham wrote:
Morraine Man wrote:If somebody can give me contact info for the GWU team, I would appreciate it. (I tried PMing the GWU member who posted in this thread and it didn't work)

Could you go to UMD the night before and sleep on someone's couch?
If somebody is willing to let me stay, this could solve our issues.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Dan is officially TD of this tournament with me as deputy TD (because I'll have to leave at about 1:30). Come register for this between 9 and 9:30 Sunday at Morton room 220. 220 is an auditorium room on the side of the building facing the parking lot/Jamestown Road. Registration is a bit on the late side per Georgetown's request, plus that always becomes the actual registration window anyway from people being behind schedule. So please don't take this to mean showing up at 10:00 is cool. I reserve the right to withhold book awards from anyone who's crazy late.

Just as a heads up I didn't buy a DII trophy since there apparently is only one DII team coming, sorry Matt :sad:

Please please please please tell me if you're dropping or adding a team by some time tomorrow (let's say 9pm, I definitely will be out by 10) so I can go ahead and work on the schedules and know how many we have to rustle up for house teams. This includes GWU telling me how many they'll have Edit: Just got an email from them, nvm.
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Registration is a bit on the late side per Georgetown's request, plus that always becomes the actual registration window anyway from people being behind schedule.
Is Georgetown even actually still requesting this? I was under the impression that people had rides worked out and everything, but I'm not certain. Anyway, I don't at all think delaying the start time of this tournament is a good idea. This is probably going to run late anyway and Wburg is a bit of a hike for teams not from Richmond, so I'd just as soon get things moving on the normal schedule.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Auron

Georgetown has transportation figured out for 50% of its players. We think we have a deal in place for the other 50% but nothing has been confirmed yet. There's still a risk that our second player will have to be taken to W&M via some elaborate scheme that might require a slight delay.

This is a small field and I can't see things getting too out of hand with regards to length.
Bruce
ACF Member emeritus
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Yeah also thanks to the generosity of fellow quizbowlers we'll have a pretty good lineup of moderators that'll include maybe one person from W&M tops, so this one should go pretty smoothly.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

The Goffman Prophecies

I'm told that Maryland A defeated VCU on tossup 20 of a one-game final to win the tournament.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Hey, how about you post a) the results of your tournament, and b) the stats which I have on good authority are extant. What the shit?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

http://quizbowlpackets.com/vcu/regional ... dings.html

When someone who has a copy of the schedule gives me the list of packet names I will update the report.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
The Goffman Prophecies

Frater Taciturnus wrote:http://quizbowlpackets.com/vcu/regional ... dings.html

When someone who has a copy of the schedule gives me the list of packet names I will update the report.
Just sent it to you.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Matt Bollinger. Thirty-four tossups in two games against GWU. No negs. Nice.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Thanks and props to everyone who came! Hope you had fun despite the looong day.

Here ya go folks:
http://results.scobo.net/WM
Note: Matt Bollinger had a VCU teammate but that was pre-approved by ACF apparently.

Oh wow thanks George didn't know you had the results as well. To everyone at the tournament, sorry it took a second to get stats up, they weren't originally on my laptop, and jobs happen.

To Mt. Vinokurov...was there any reason you needed the stats so promptly? Fantasy teams? I was under the impression cursing (by attendees) was warranted by some number of days >2.
Edit: Okay so now I realize that the host guidelines specify when stats should be posted but technically I/Dan had a week to do so (I usually get them up within two days though, my bad). There are more diplomatic ways to remind people of these things than PMS'ing on them.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Dude! Calm! You already posted the stats, that's the ultimate silencer to "staaaaats." Anything else you say is only going to make you look bad.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Zip Zap Rap Pants wrote:To Mt. Vinokurov...was there any reason you needed the stats so promptly? Fantasy teams? I was under the impression cursing (by attendees) was warranted by some number of days >2.
Edit: Okay so now I realize that the host guidelines specify when stats should be posted but technically I/Dan had a week to do so (I usually get them up within two days though, my bad). There are more diplomatic ways to remind people of these things than PMS'ing on them.
Number A, I'll thank you not to use terms like "PMSing" as pejoratives.

And B, it's bad form not to at least announce the results of the tournament you ran, dude. This is part of an irritating trend of hosts basically not doing the job that they're supposed to be doing as hosts, so I'm kind of determined that anytime this falls under my commentary purview (as any ACF event this year does), I'm going to point it out.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

grapesmoker wrote:
Zip Zap Rap Pants wrote:To Mt. Vinokurov...was there any reason you needed the stats so promptly? Fantasy teams? I was under the impression cursing (by attendees) was warranted by some number of days >2.
Number A, I'll thank you not to use terms like "PMSing" as pejoratives.

And B, it's bad form not to at least announce the results of the tournament you ran, dude. This is part of an irritating trend of hosts basically not doing the job that they're supposed to be doing as hosts, so I'm kind of determined that anytime this falls under my commentary purview (as any ACF event this year does), I'm going to point it out.
A: Unless you like baiting, what kind of response, exactly, did you expect your post to elicit?

B: Which I just did. Still scratching my head over the loss of affability over something so inconsequential. I really don't understand how a matter of a day or two became this disagreeable this year. Harass a tournament that actually goes bad.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

EVERYBODY STOP METAPOSTING GOD DAMN IT
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org