Norcross Academic Challenge 3/12/11 (GA) Prison Bowl Mirror

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Norcross Academic Challenge 3/12/11 (GA) Prison Bowl Mirror

Post by Andrew's a Freshman »

For the second straight year, Norcross will be hosting a mirror of the Prison Bowl. It will take place on March 12th at Norcross High School in Norcross, Georgia. Varsity teams from Georgia and the surrounding area are invited to compete.

Like last year, we plan to limit the field to 24 teams. Every team will be guaranteed 7 rounds of preliminaries in round-robin style. Lunch will not be served but a break will be given for teams to pick up food, likely after round 5. A TBD number of teams will make the playoffs which will be some form of single-elimination to determine the winner (who may unseat defending champion Alpharetta).

There are a few changes from last year. The fee structure is $65 per team with a possible $5 discount for bringing a set of buzzers. Full team stats will be kept. An updated registration form is attached.

Please e-mail registrations to xakahnx AT gmail DOT com or hayley_gallagher AT gwinnett.k12.ga.us and also mail the registration to ensure we know you're interested. Also contact either of us with any questions you may have.
Attachments
Registration form.doc
(23.5 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Last edited by Andrew's a Freshman on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norcross High School '11
Northwestern University '15
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Re: Norcross Academic Challenge 3/12/11 (GA)

There is a month to go before competition and three weeks to register.

Current field: 6-9

Chattahochee 2-3
Central Gwinnett 1-2
Northview 1
GSMST 1
Brookwood 1-2

We still hope to make 24 teams, if possible.
Norcross High School '11
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Current Field: 12-15 teams

Chattahochee: 2 teams
Central Gwinnett: 1-2 teams
Northview: 1 team
GSMST: 1 team
Brookwood: 1-2 teams
Bleckley County: 2 teams
Archer: 1 team
Seqouyah: 1 team
Providence Christian: 2 teams
Norcross High School '11
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Field Update:

Chattahoochee 2-3
Central Gwinnett 1-2
Northview 1
GSMST 1
Brookwood 1-2
Bleckley County 2
Archer 1
Seqouyah 1
Providence Christian 2
Paideia 1
Eastside 1
Ola 2
Centennial 1
Alpharetta 1?

There is still room in the field and time to register. Please contact me by this Friday (3/4) if you are in any way interested!
Norcross High School '11
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Chattahoochee* 2
Central Gwinnett 1
Northview* 1
GSMST* 1
Brookwood 1
Bleckley County 2
Archer 1
Providence Christian* 2
Paideia* 1
Eastside 1
Ola* 2
Centennial 1
Alpharetta 1
DAR 1
St. Pius X 1

The field is closed at 19 teams. Chattahoochee has mentioned their interest in bring a 3rd team to bring us to 20. A wait-list will be kept for any other teams interested in case a school drops at the last minute.

We look forward to seeing everyone next week!
Norcross High School '11
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Final field of 16:

Chattahoochee 2
Central Gwinnett 1
Northview 1
GSMST 1
Brookwood 1
Archer 1
Providence Christian 2
Eastside 1
Ola 2
Centennial 1
Alpharetta 1
DAR 1
St. Pius X 1

Teams will play 7 RR matches in initial brackets. The top 8 will be split into brackets of 4 and play a second RR of 3 matches. The bottom 8 will play a single crossover match. I just realized in my e-mail I said 9/10 matches while this is actually 8/10. Anyway, I expect that will be an acceptable amount of games for everyone involved.

Looking forward to Saturday! Good luck to everyone.
Norcross High School '11
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Congradulations to Centennial for running the table. I haven't heard too many complaints so I'm hoping everyone was pretty happy with the tournament.

The top playoff bracket consisted of Centennial, Chattahochee A, Alpharetta, and Chattahoochee B.

The second playoff bracket consisted of Eastside, Central Gwinnett, Brookwood, and DAR.

Thanks for coming. Let me know if you have any comments and criticisms.

Stats are available at http://results.scobo.net/Norcross. Let me know of any glaring errors. Ola left after round 7 and Archer left after round 5. Each was replaced by a Norcross fill-in.
Norcross High School '11
jmannor2
Wakka

Re: Norcross Academic Challenge 3/12/11 (GA) Prison Bowl Mirror

Post by jmannor2 »

Thanks Andrew for hosting this tournament. We had a great time. There's a couple of things I want to point out. 1) this tournament seemed to run extremely well with minimal wait time in between rounds so that was awesome. 2) all of the moderators did a great job reading. I can't even complain about a single one, but there is something I would like to point out. It seems like the recognition rule was overly enforced. There were a few times when I buzzed in and the moderater would look right into my eyes and I would start my answer and she/he wouldn't accept it because the scorekeeper didn't say red 3 or something like that. The first time it happened I asked politely if she would give me a warning and she said you have to be recognized and did not take my answer. I guess its different in georgia but where i come from, if the moderator knows you are the one that buzzed and your light is lit up, and he/she makes eye contact with you, thats acceptable recognition. 3) not that this has to do with Norcross, but it seems like after round five the questions seemed to get alot tougher. Not sure if that was intentional but I just thought it was something interesting to state. In addition to that, I felt that there were a few questions that stretched the difficulty, not that it is a bad thing cause this was the best high school set I have heard, but I remember one bonus specifically that just seemed way too hard. Is there is a private discussion for the question set yet?

By the way, Kids from Alabama is actually an unofficial DAR A team. Also, we were missing our 2nd best player.
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
lchen
Wakka

Post by lchen »

jmannor2 wrote:3) not that this has to do with Norcross, but it seems like after round five the questions seemed to get alot tougher. Not sure if that was intentional but I just thought it was something interesting to state. In addition to that, I felt that there were a few questions that stretched the difficulty, not that it is a bad thing cause this was the best high school set I have heard, but I remember one bonus specifically that just seemed way too hard. Is there is a private discussion for the question set yet?
I apologize for that... We made every effort to even out the difficulty as others have noted in the other thread that the questions as they were used at Prison Bowl might be inappropriate for other mirrors. There isn't a private discussion forum for the set, but you can email me at [email protected]. We would appreciate any feedback you might have, particularly on how we might make the set more accessible.
Lily Chen
Hunter '12, MIT '16
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

jmannor2 wrote:Thanks Andrew for hosting this tournament. We had a great time. There's a couple of things I want to point out. 1) this tournament seemed to run extremely well with minimal wait time in between rounds so that was awesome. 2) all of the moderators did a great job reading. I can't even complain about a single one, but there is something I would like to point out. It seems like the recognition rule was overly enforced. There were a few times when I buzzed in and the moderater would look right into my eyes and I would start my answer and she/he wouldn't accept it because the scorekeeper didn't say red 3 or something like that. The first time it happened I asked politely if she would give me a warning and she said you have to be recognized and did not take my answer. I guess its different in georgia but where i come from, if the moderator knows you are the one that buzzed and your light is lit up, and he/she makes eye contact with you, thats acceptable recognition.
The moderators were instructed to follow the rules in the packet which stated something along the lines of "players should be recognized in some recognizable form before giving an answer." It wasn't meant to be invoked very often, and I hope it didn't play a significant role in any matches.
jmannor2 wrote:By the way, Kids from Alabama is actually an unofficial DAR A team. Also, we were missing our 2nd best player.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Norcross High School '11
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Andrew's a Freshman wrote:The moderators were instructed to follow the rules in the packet which stated something along the lines of "players should be recognized in some recognizable form before giving an answer." It wasn't meant to be invoked very often, and I hope it didn't play a significant role in any matches.
Honestly can we just get rid of the recognition rule in Georgia already?
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

I think it's slowly working its way out of style.
Norcross High School '11
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

There will be none of that silliness at our tournament just fyi.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

List of wrestling-based comic books wrote:There will be none of that silliness at our tournament just fyi.
Good.
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Andrew's a Freshman wrote:The moderators were instructed to follow the rules in the packet which stated something along the lines of "players should be recognized in some recognizable form before giving an answer."
I am a bit confused about this whole recognition discussion. Were the Norcross readers simply following instructions on the packets made by the Hunter folk, or was this rule inserted by Norcross people prior to copying? The way I interpreted Andrew's post was that it came from the packets and was not added after the fact.

Regardless, the recognition rule is slowing going away in GA. At the very least, more and more tournament directors are instructing their readers to recognize a player, but if that doesn't happen before the correct player gives the correct answer, the reader will still accept the answer as correct. This seems to make sense to me, and it worked really well at our tournament and at Alpharetta's tournament this year.
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Sorry, I was referring to our own packet which contained our own rules. All of the readers were given a copy of our own rules at the beginning of the day. As well, all teams also had a copy of the rules so if there was any kind of discrepancy it could been handled with a protest. I wasn't there so I don't the situation, and I'm trying not to pick a side. However, this was not the intention when that rule was made.
Norcross High School '11