BHSAT XX at Yale (03/26/11)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

BHSAT XX at Yale (03/26/11)

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

I am pleased to announce that this year's Bulldog High School Academic Tournament (BHSAT XX) will take place on March 26, 2011. BHSAT annually features a number of top teams from around the country.

I am especially pleased to announce that this year's set will be head edited by Matt Jackson, who also helped write 2008 No Name Tournament and 2009 Fall Novice Tournament and edit 2010 Ben Cooper Memorial Tournament and 2010 Fall Novice Tournament. Question difficulty will be suitable for teams preparing for national tournaments later on in the year or for those seeking a moderately challenging tournament.

Registration will begin at 8:30 AM with the first round beginning by 9:30 AM. Fees and registration information for the tournament are as follows:

Base fee: $90
Registration received by January 22, 2010: -$10 per team
Working buzzer system: -$5 each
Moderator: -$5 each
Additional teams: -$5 each
Minimum fee per team: $60

Checks made out to Y. Student Academic Competitions (NOT Yale Student Academic Competitions) can be sent out to Danila Kabotyanski, P.O. Box 201937, New Haven, CT 06520 or given to us on the day of the tournament.

If you would like to register your high school or have any questions about BHSAT, please e-mail both Danila and myself at [email protected] and [email protected], respectively.

We are very interested in having this tournament mirrored, so please do not hesitate to contact us about this.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: BHSAT XX at Yale (03/26/11)

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

An update, since this thread sank pretty quickly: This tournament is indeed still happening on the 26th. Come one, come all - register!

This post is now the mirrors post. We continue to actively seek mirrors for BHSAT; contact me at matthew.jackson AT yale.edu and John Lawrence at john.lawrence AT yale.edu to secure a mirror in your region.

BHSAT mirrors list:
DC Metro: ARMY/NAVY at Richard Montgomery High School, Saturday, April 9
Illinois: ATROPHY 2 at Northern Illinois University, Saturday, April 23
North: BHSAT XX Mirror at University of Minnesota, Saturday, April 23
Texas: Chris Romero, more info TBA
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
TheKingInYellow
Rikku

Post by TheKingInYellow »

So I think State College will be coming with two teams; I'll email when its official
Graham Moyer
State College 2011
Harvard 2015
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Field Update:
Concord-Carlisle (1 team)
E.O. Smith (1 teams)
Hunter (4 teams, 2 buzzers)
Simsbury (1 team)
State College (3 teams, 1 buzzer)
Williston Northhampton (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Last edited by ThisIsMyUsername on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Just a little thread bump to remind people that this tournament is still happening. I booked a bunch of extra rooms just in case, so we can accommodate many more teams than have currently registered. Also, in light of the recent cancellation of the Connecticut Invitational tournament, I'm going to keep registration for this open until Thursday, March 24th, so that any teams that may have originally planned to go to that have time to possibly rearrange their travel plans if they would like to come to us.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

I would certainly encourage anyone who is able to go to the Yale tourney. It is a very enjoyable tournament. Go Connecticut quiz bowl!
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
chaossolver
Lulu

Post by chaossolver »

Is the BHSAT still on this weekend? If so, how many teams are committed?

Though E.O. smith will not officially sponsor teams to attend, our club has enough interest to attend for 1-2 teams.
Bing Xu
Ass. Coach, E.O. Smith High School
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

chaossolver wrote:Is the BHSAT still on this weekend? If so, how many teams are committed?

Though E.O. smith will not officially sponsor teams to attend, our club has enough interest to attend for 1-2 teams.
The above posts should be up to date.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

This tournament will start as planned at 9:30 in William L. Harkness Hall. Registration will begin at 8:30.

Could E.O. Smith and Simsbury please get back to myself and Danila by tonight to let us know whether they are bringing one or two teams? Thanks.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12

Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

This tournament has either just started or is about to start. Ten teams appear to be in attendance, so there will be a full round-robin, with possible finals as necessary. Stats will be posted here in a semi-live manner.

Final staaaaaats

Apologies in advance for any misspellings of names; if there are any I haven't caught, please let me know. Likewise for incorrect statlines.

Hunter A defeated Hunter B in the first game of an advantaged final, 505-200.
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

Brief recap of this tournament:

The last-minute drop of Simsbury reduced the field size to ten teams, whereupon it was deemed appropriate to run a full round robin. Owing to various circumstances, Williston Northampton left after round 5, and thus forfeited their last four games. Hunter A went undefeated in this round robin, and Hunter B suffered only a single loss to Hunter A. As such, Hunter A was advantaged in a final against Hunter B, which it won in a single game with a score of 505-200. Statistics are available here, and the ranking of teams by W-L record as shown happens to correspond to the actual order of finish of the teams.

At the end of the preliminary 9-game round robin, the following top individual scorers received book prizes:
1. "Patastik" from State College A
2. Matthew G from Hunter C
3. "Moron" from State College A
4. Lily Chen from Hunter A
5. GB from Concord Carlisle

All the members of the winning Hunter A team also received a book prize apiece.

Willie from Hunter D was the proud recipient of the neg prize - a cold slice of pizza that nobody else really wanted to eat.

Because this set is being used at multiple delayed mirrors, please remember not to publicly discuss questions from this set. If you have commentary or criticism of the set, you should probably email Matt Jackson (matthew DOT jackson AT yale DOT edu), who head-edited it. He would no doubt appreciate it. If there are staaaaaats that need fixing, post in this thread or email me ([email protected]), and I'll get around to it as soon as I can. Owing to the less-than-stellar handwriting of some of my teammates, it was occasionally difficult to determine whether a marking on a scoresheet was an actual name or the mere scratching of a passing chicken.

Thanks to all the teams that attended this 20th incarnation of BHSAT! We look forward to your future attendance at our tournaments in the future and wish you the best of luck throughout the rest of this season.
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
youngster68
Lulu

Post by youngster68 »

Many thanks for a smooth tournament, a wonderful set of packets, and a great day of quiz bowl! The Yale crew was organized, efficient, and gracious hosts. Once again, Bulldog was well worth the trip.
Coach Stephen C Young
Faculty Advisor for Hunter College High School Quiz Bowl
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

Does anybody know or want to say who the two State College A players were?
Nick
Blahhunter
Lulu

Post by Blahhunter »

Nick wrote:Does anybody know or want to say who the two State College A players were?
I believe Christoph was Moron and David was Patastik
Zihan Zheng
Hunter College High School '13
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Blahhunter wrote:
Nick wrote:Does anybody know or want to say who the two State College A players were?
I believe Christoph was Moron and David was Patastik
This is correct.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

I'd also like to confirm that
a) this set will be undergoing a grammar-check and some necessary revisions before it's used at the mirror sites. I have a list of fixes to make; if you played/witnessed the set at this site and found a factual or editing mistake that you'd encourage us to change before the mirror sites, I encourage you to email me at matthew.jackson AT yale DOT edu.

b) We are still aggressively pursuing mirror sites in YOUR circuit! That's right, if YOU think that YOUR circuit would want or need another tournament to prepare between now and Nationals, YOU should feel free to email me and John Lawrence at matthew.jackson AT yale DOT edu and john.lawrence AT yale DOT edu!
(Note: values of "YOUR" exclude "DC/MD/VA," "Minnesota," and "Illinois," who have already secured mirrors for their circuits.)
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF