Bouncebacks in SQBS

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
dtaylor4
Auron

Bouncebacks in SQBS

Post by dtaylor4 »

Given the debate in the WUHSAC thread, I thought I'd expound.

The way I do bouncebacks, which I believe is also the way most others do it is this:

Opposing bouncebacks heard = 10*(opponent TU)*3 - (opposing controlled bonus points)
Rebound points = (total points) - (tossup points) - (controlled bonus points)

The stat that is spit out in SQBS shows the P/BB as a percentage of steals converted (perfect being 1.00), and the P/B as a standard PPB stat.

If the scoresheet doesn't have dedicated bounceback numbers, but it is easy to extrapolate the controlled bonus points, it should take about 30-60 seconds to enter the stats into SQBS, assuming no subapalooza.
jonpin
Auron

Re: Bouncebacks in SQBS

Post by jonpin »

And worth noting,
dtaylor4 wrote:If the scoresheet doesn't have dedicated bounceback numbers
you should get one that does, because most of the time, if it doesn't have separate columns for controlled and stolen, it's very difficult to quickly calculate them in the tab room.
Last edited by jonpin on Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

jonpin wrote:And worth noting,
dtaylor4 wrote:If the scoresheet doesn't have dedicated bounceback numbers
you should get one that does, because most of the time, if it doesn't have separate columns for controlled and stolen, it's very difficult to quickly calculate them in the tab room.
True. Even with dedicated scoresheets, though, depending on who's doing the writing, it could be all kinds of messed up.
Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don »

What are people's thoughts about computing bouncebacks as the number of bounceback points earned divided by the number of individual bonus parts that a team had the opportunity to bounceback? This was the method suggested by the SQBS guide I have.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Dan-Don wrote:What are people's thoughts about computing bouncebacks as the number of bounceback points earned divided by the number of individual bonus parts that a team had the opportunity to bounceback? This was the method suggested by the SQBS guide I have.
This is almost exact to mine, except that the stat reported would differ by a factor of 10.
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

dtaylor4 wrote:
Dan-Don wrote:What are people's thoughts about computing bouncebacks as the number of bounceback points earned divided by the number of individual bonus parts that a team had the opportunity to bounceback? This was the method suggested by the SQBS guide I have.
This is almost exact to mine, except that the stat reported would differ by a factor of 10.
That's probably the SQBS guide that Donald and I wrote; I wrote that section and decided to add the extra factor because the output (when people read it) makes more intuitive sense than a number like 0.55.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry